Stalling shot! Help Joe is now low

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan Pomo, Jul 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Joes numbers have dropped. do I still give him his nightly dose in 1.5 hours?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

a lot can happen in 1.5 hours....you might want to test at +11.5 so it gives us a little time to help you. Also, if you test at 11.5 and then again at PMPS and the number goes higher, that's usually a good sign that the last shot is wearing off and it's OK to shoot.

If you get a PMPS that you're not sure about shooting, you can stall, don't feed and test again in 20-30 minutes. Use that time to get some help here (I suggest editing your subject line to something like "STALLING! NEED HELP!"....once you have somebody's attention, you go back and edit it again with the usual format.)

3. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

OK. I got it. I am going to do just that. Thanks Chris!

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  4. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Ok getting paranoid. At 11.25 the number is 193 but I had to give him quite a bit of tuna to get that. He gets unruly and will not let me bother with him unless he gets some bites of tuna and I kept getting the error code so I had to keep trying which meant more bites of tuna. I know you said no food but giving tuna has been the only way he has allowed me to test @Chris & China

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you could go ahead with the usual dose tonight. We usually say to shoot the scheduled dose if they're above 200 and 193 is close enough to be considered a safe number to shoot.

As long as you have plenty of supplies (strips, medium and high carb food, Karo/honey/syrup) and can test as often as might be necessary tonight, I'd go with the 3.5

You're just starting to see some good numbers which is what we all hope for. I would hate for you to backtrack now BUT, I also understand if you just don't feel like you can do it yet.

6. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

OK just saw this so ignore my other plea

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You should be fine to shoot. The numbers look like they are on the way up. You may want to get some early tests in just to reassure yourself that Joe is in safe numbers.

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Well-Known Member

Just saw this condo, nice +2 Joe. I assume you're getting some sleep now, I hope.

JanetNJ likes this.
  9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Shooting those first yellows is scary.... But it's exactly what you want to see. It means the insulin is starting to give you better duration so there's a little overlap. Don't be surprised if he bounces high this morning.... He's not used to these better numbers. Ha ha

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  10. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I was up early enough to get a +10 and his number is 118. He had to have food in order for me to test so now no more testing until pre-shot in 2 hours.

JanetNJ likes this.
  11. JanetNJ

Wow! I'll check back in 1:45 hours. If it's still low then stall without feeding for up to an hour and see if the number is going up. Looks like he may need a dose reduction soon!! Go Joe!

12. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

OK. I will do exactly that Janet. I do have to feed him while testing or he will not cooperate. Also just want to be clear he did get a spoonful of food after his +10 reading. He is very hungry.

13. JanetNJ

One little bite out two of food while you are testing won't make much difference. :)

14. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

15. JanetNJ

Ok stall a while and I would reduce to 3.25... I'll check back in like 45 min.

16. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

215 at 15 past AMPS

17. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Not sure I understand Janet, shoot but shoot 3.25 or wait and stall awhile more? How long can I stall his insulin shot?

18. JanetNJ

Ah ok it's going up now. You could shoot now if you want. Are you comfortable doing 3.5? Personally I'd do 3.25, but it's your call.

19. JanetNJ

Haha. We wrote at the same time. I'd shoot now but maybe do 3.25

20. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I am going to do what you would do. 3.25 it is!
    thanks so much for being there with me

21. JanetNJ

Only because it's really the first time seeing how he reacts to these lower preshots, ya know. If you are able, try to get a +2 or 3 reading. Just wanna make sure he's steady and doesn't start dropping too fast.

22. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Ok I am waiting 15 minutes to do.
    I think I am starting to get it (a little) if his numbers are high, give the shot, it is a given. If his numbers are low, wait (stall) and test again and make sure they are rising before you give the shot. Is this correct?

23. JanetNJ

Yes. Generally over 200 is safe to shoot... But since he's not usually this low is why I was just a little more conservative with the dose.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  24. JanetNJ

Still in the yellows! I'd get a reading around +6

25. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

244 Janet! Ok I will get one at +6

26. smorgasbord

Good job this morning Susan, you're really getting the hang of this. Good luck today Joe, it's looking great so far!

27. JanetNJ

Oh ! A green number I see. It's still a safe number but i'm glad you reduced just a little today. :)

28. smorgasbord

Awesome +8! Was it exactly +8 or a little under/over?

29. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

numbers stayed low today but rising towards preshot time

30. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

it was at about 3:50PM today and I shot at about 8:15AM this morning so it was about an 7.45 hour

smorgasbord likes this.
  31. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Preshot is 214, stalling again for a minute and wondering if I lower again.

32. JanetNJ

you wanna do 3 instead so you can sleep without worry I'm sure that would be fine! So nice seeing these great numbers!!! Maybe do a fat 3

smorgasbord likes this.
  33. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I am going to do a 3. I feel comfortable with that. A fat 3? Is that a dash over a 3?

34. smorgasbord

Definitely not a dash, if by dash you mean black line. A fat 3 is just a teensy bit more than 3. Like where you would have the plunger for 3, but then a teensy bit more than 3. Never tried to describe before lol. I'm sure someone more experienced like Janet can describe better.

35. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Yeah, a dash but not literally a dash as in a dash mark on the syringe. LOL
    I did a fat 3

smorgasbord likes this.
  36. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I am just thrilled with these numbers. Now if I do not get a bounce. Trying not to be too excited.

JanetNJ likes this.
  37. smorgasbord

Haha, you got it. I know you can read a syringe, I was just like, "oh god wait what if..." :p

38. smorgasbord

Story of my life. Jealous of your numbers. But hey, if he bounces, = more sleep.

39. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

why does bouncing get me more sleep?

40. smorgasbord

If he bounces at night then you don't have to stay up as late testing if his +2 or +3 numbers look good.

Of course I don't know your schedule, maybe you have a schedule where it's fine.

41. JanetNJ

Yes like just on the other side of the line. Lol

42. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Tell me more about what I should be doing. I have not been staying up late testing. I have early morning commitments aside from doing my own animal routine, so I am up at 6am. Tired as dirt and ready to hit the hay by 10pm. Sometimes I try to get a later test but have not managed to so far. Maybe a midnight test.
    So are you saying, when he is low I should be checking all night long?

43. JanetNJ

Oh lord no don't stay up all night (unless he's in danger of course). I used to shoot about 6am/pm and get a +4 before bed.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  44. smorgasbord

Oh no, nothing more than you’ve already been doing, getting +2 to see if it’s going to be an “active” or low cycle, getting +3, +4. You get loads of data in his PM cycle.

45. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

back up again and I am going to bed. 325 might be his lucky number and I did 3 tonight

smorgasbord likes this.
  46. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Good morning. Numbers are back up with a vengeance and I am starting to be able to recognize the bounce, although I wish I did not see it.
    Joe's different demeanors:
    Yesterday while his numbers were good, Joe is aloof and seems tired. Not sick really, just not his usual self as of late. He acts like the Joe I used to know. Tired, kind of cranky.
    His demeanor as of late (last few months): Energized, always on the prowl, following me for food, eyes dilated. If he were a person I would be sure he was medicating with some form of amphetamine. Yet very hungry.
    The pic below is Joe yesterday. Eyes dilated but not on the prowl
    [​IMG]

47. JanetNJ

That's cuz he's not used to the normal numbers yet. He'll get there. I am not surprised he bounced.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  48. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Thanks Janet. Trying not to be disappointed. :(

49. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Janet,
    Joe has been having diarrhea. I assumed it was a food switch. The Pro-biotic you recommended by Fera has helped.
    Were you able to rotate the Weruva's in C.C.'s list (I went back and printed that BTW) or did you have to stick with one at a time?

50. JanetNJ

She ate a bunch of stuff. She was not fond of eating the same flavor two days in a row. Same with the rest of the group.

51. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

OK. Good to know. Joe likes a variety too. I have made a copy of the things you fed C.C. and have started to lean into the fishes again. Joe is not crazy about all the stringy pieces of meat in the chicken and beef cans. I might have to buy a baby food blender. LOL

52. smorgasbord

Stupid bounces, just when you get good numbers! I guess it's still progress though. Funny how being in good numbers made him seem tired. I guess the Joe of previous months had such high blood sugar that he WAS always hungry, and now he can relax and chill a little bit?
    Interesting about the dilated pupils. Hopefully that's nothing.
    What amphetamines dilate pupils? I wasn't aware of that, thought it only happened with MD amphetamine (MDMA)?
    Look at cutie Joe, appears to be contemplating a good rug scratch?

53. JanetNJ

Thir are really smooth ones like chicken Checkmate and best buds. The pouches of the slide ones are really smooth too.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  54. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I am seeing a trend in his evening numbers now

smorgasbord likes this.
  55. smorgasbord

Agreed. Very satisfying. And he recovered well from a bounce up to 415. Crazy low of 132 after that +3 reading! I bet you sure weren't expecting that.
    Templeton did that a couple of days ago, dropped 240 points from +2 to pre-shot reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.