New Member- Couple of Questions and Concerns

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peter (Peeka&Boo), Aug 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

This is why your spread sheet is so valuable. Any member can look at it and give informed and good advice on moving forward. Once you get settled on an insulin you can move this discussion to the vetsulin (or insulin of choice) forum. BUT We always enjoy when a person comes back once in a while just to let us know how y'all are doin!;):coffee:
    j.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

3. jt and trouble (GA)

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Peter,

Human insulin-dependent diabetics test every day to keep themselves safe. Why should we not do the same for our cats? Insulin injections are insulin injections. They don't come with an OFF switch.

He's a keeper!!!! :woot:

Delighted to hear that your vet is so collaborative in his approach. Progressive too (otherwise he wouldn't have even suggested the Libre). It makes such a difference, especially with conditions like feline diabetes which require long-term management.

Mogs

5. Critter Mom

Almost ?

:p

(ETA: I'm well and truly including myself here! :D )

6. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I think her concerns with the daily testing has more to do with the cats comfort-ability. She was in the last appointment, and it may have been due to Peeka's stress levels, or whatever, but Peeka did not have a good time to say the least. I personally think that with a proper regimen, and calmness on my part, we can get it down. She can be a finnicky cat, she was fighting with me to get into the crate to go to the vet. But this is all still new to both of us, and I think with some of the methods I've seen on here, giving treats, or pets as a reward afterwards, that we can get it sorted out.

7. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I keep quoting you all to my wife over the last few days and mention methods and tips y'all have given. She has been very supportive as well through this and you all have been giving me hope. I'll admit, it is discouraging to see Peeka's gait when I get home and see how much she is struggling to get from Point A to Point B. But I also know that this is the start of a journey, and I can't wait to share both Boo and Peeka's recovery and encourage people like me, who may be feeling down.

8. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes did you check out the forum I posted yesterday? It’s in the sticky notes I told you to read. I can repost? Btw, you should start a new thread. Folks here like to keep threads to 1 page at the most :)

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  9. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Here’s the link to the Vetsulin Forum again. Read the first 4 yellow sticky notes. It goes over ranges and numbers and what to do when you get a low number. I’d bookmark them too as you’ll need to refer back often

Vetsulin Forum

10. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Vets are super stressed at the vet. That’s why numbers are higher there. Also I’ve never seen a vet test the ear. They always use a syringe to draw blood form a vein on the back leg. Super stressful for a cat to be held down for that! you should show her Janet’s video that Diane posted. She’ll see how mellow her cat was through the test

11. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Got it. Sorry, still figuring out how the forums work, but I will create a new thread to stop the clutter. I'm reading through the insulin now. Going to try and give some to both cats in the morning early before going into work so I can keep an eye out for them throughout the morning before I leave for work. Thankfully I get home early tomorrow, so I can monitor throughout the day.

12. jt and trouble (GA)

Cats learn FAST (well most do) If you do the "give a treat after each motion" they learn that good things come with testing. (Trouble never really got it but lol he'd rub up against me after a test go figure):rolleyes:

13. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

No worries. You can start a new thread every day and if you want, you can post a link to the previous thread if it’s on the same subject.

I don’t know Vetsulin dosage so the sticky notes will be your best friends! :cat:

14. Critter Mom

I can understand your good lady's concerns. When Saoirse was first confirmed to have diabetes she spent a few days as an inpatient at the practice where she was diagnosed (eventually - story for another day) so that they could monitor her response to insulin and their prescribed diet. I went in on the third day for my tutorial on giving injections. They ... made ... mincemeat ... of my girl's ears!!! :(

While in the hospital area of the surgery, I saw them trying to draw a sample from Saoirse's ear. Putting it mildly, my girl was not having a good time of it. It took three of them to get the sample. They were pricking the cartilaginous part of the ear near where it joins the head, not the 'sweet spot'. :rolleyes: :mad:

I got no support from that practice for my desire to home test Saoirse's BG levels. They told me it would be too stressful for her to be home tested every day. (In fairness, given their appalling lack of good testing technique that was not an unreasonable position for them to take. :rolleyes: ) They even told me not to monitor her urine for ketones (and no information was given about DKA either). They said that I should only be concerned if her water consumption went up, or to rub some honey on her gums if I thought she was having a hypo.

For the first few weeks of Saoirse's treatment I had to dose her 'blind', relying on weekly visits to the vets for glucose curves. Saoirse became extremely lethargic after receiving insulin. It was impossible to tell whether or not she might be experiencing a hypo. (Time revealed that Caninsulin really disagreed with her.) I was demented with fear...

Shortly after initial Dx we moved to another practice with a much better handle on feline diabetes (our main vet had a diabetic cat himself - helped enormously). Straight away they gave me a tutorial in BG testing. Technique was better but still needed improvement. They knew about the sweet spot on the ear but Saoirse did not appreciate having a large wodge of warm, soggy cotton wool stuck in her ear for heating purposes.

With lots of hints and tips I learned here at FDMB I was able to develop a testing technique that worked for Saoirse. She hated anything bulky being stuck in her ear so I used to warm her ear with a plastic pipette filled with heated water held along the edge of the sweet spot. When doing the poke to draw the blood sample I used a folded 1" strip of kitchen paper to support and cushion the sweet spot. Worked like a charm. :)

You can make testing a real fuss-fest. Some cats like grooming to be part of the test ritual, and most cats just lurve to get freeze-dried protein treats after each test. And praise. Lots of praise. :)

In the early days I read many stories here from members whose cats would automatically go to their testing station when they were due for a sugar check. I never thought I'd see the day when my beloved girl would do such a thing. I was proved very wrong. Cats are smart cookies. As Saoirse started to feel better she worked out that the testing had a lot to do with that. I was relieved - and thrilled - that she welcomed the help I was trying to give her.

Here is Saoirse at her testing station wating for her sugar check. I'll leave it to you to decide whether or not she looks stressed.

Saoirse Waiting for Sugar Check Crppd.jpg

Mogs

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  15. Critter Mom

Here's the gizmo I used to warm Saoirse's ear:

IMG_20160131_152925.jpg

Some members use a rice sock, warmed in the microwave, to heat the ear. (Saoirse found that too bulky.)

Mogs

Peter (Peeka&Boo) likes this.
  16. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

First off, I love her name. Secondly, I'm fully optimistic we can get Peeka to this stage. I'm sure with some bribery, she will soon realize it isn't so bad. Will be posting an updated thread when I hear back from the vet regarding her levels today and would love everyone thoughts on how much Vetsulin we should be giving in the meantime.

17. Critter Mom

But does she look stressed, Peter? I need to know!!! o_O

Saoirse is Irish for 'freedom'. Her brother was Amadán, Irish for 'fool'. (They were born on April 1st.)

I have every confidence you will, Peter. The real key to successful home testing for caregiver and kitty is love - and you guys have that in spades. :cat:

Mogs

18. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’m very partial to black cats given that Minnie’s brother is one, but what a beauty!!!!

they KNOW we’re helping them. They truly do! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

19. Critter Mom

<... Glows with motherly pride ...>

Even more beautiful on the inside ... (((Saoirse)))

There is no doubt about that.

First evidence I had of it was when one of my first furchilder got a thorn in his eye. With a (deserved) name like Psycho Fatboy the Third, it doesn't take much imagination to deduce that he had rather thuggish tendencies as a young fella. (I think his litter may have had a hard time in their earliest months, including having cat 'flu.) Most unlike himself, he quietly came and sought attention, asking for help. Thankfully the vet was able to remove the thorn and save his sight. Thereafter, he became a real snuggler. The transformation was amazing. (((Fats)))* There is no doubt in my mind that thereafter he felt safe and that he could completely depend on one of the strange tall bipeds, that he could allow himself to be vulnerable and finally accept the love he had always craved but had hithertofore been too scared to trust.

Mogs

(* More Fatboy Slim when he matured! :smuggrin: )

20. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Small update before I get Peeka and create a new thread. Dr. didn't feel comfortable with the length of needle for the Freestyle Libre, I'll be picking up whichever recommended tests my local store has and will also be updating the thread with her test results of the day, as well as whatever information was shared with the vet.

21. jt and trouble (GA)

22. Critter Mom

I really like the sound of your vetty bean. :)

Sending scritches for Peeka. And some for Boo! :cat:

Mogs

23. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Are you in the US? I’d go to Walmart and get the ReliOn. You want a trusted brand meter

24. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Just picked up the ReliOn Prime, I believe. And 50 strips, all in total, $30 or so for the test and strips. It’s either the ReliOn Prime or the premier. I’m not sure if there’s a difference and I was trying to access the forum in the Walmart but my connection wasn’t cooperating with me.

25. jt and trouble (GA)

I think you're good... ;)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) likes this.
  26. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Will be sharing results with the vet here in a new thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.