New Member- Couple of Questions and Concerns

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peter (Peeka&Boo), Aug 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Hey everyone, we have a newly diagnosed cat who just recently started showing somewhat severe signs diabetic neuropathy, having difficulty even taking a few steps at a time. The thing that makes this especially difficult is it feels like this happened very quickly. She was taken to the vet back in April due to not having a bowel movement for a few days, from there the vet noticed her levels seemed to be a little out of whack. We got her on a hypoglycemic diet in hopes that it would help. When she started displaying symptoms similar to her brother, who was also diagnosed as diabetic 2 years ago and has made great strides to being better, we took her back to the vet to get checked in on, we decided to start her at 2 units of Vetsulin twice a day.

As recently as a month ago, she was making jumps between counter tops and onto beds. We took her back to the vet last Monday where we increased her dosage to 2 units twice a day. And on Friday night, 8/14, she was displaying even more difficulty walking, so much so that we took her to the emergency vet clinic and the vet there felt she may have diabetic neuropathy. While she did say this, she didn’t seem very confident in diagnosis as she hasn’t seen many cases and didn’t offer much in the way of encouragement for prognosis and it makes my wife and I incredibly sad and distraught as she is normally a sweet, playful cat.

We are going to start in home testing as soon as we speak with our normal vet tomorrow and ask about a possible increase in dosage of vetsulin. I have also read a lot about vitamin B12 and when she got her shot at the emergency vet this afternoon it seemed to help out a bit, but as the day wore on, her back legs became wobbly again. I’m so sorry for the long text but she is our sweet little girl and I want her to live a happy, healthy life.

Attached Files:

2. Paula and Rocky

Paula and Rocky Member

Hi I'm so sorry your having these issues, I'm not quite experienced enough to give advise but I do know you need to start testing right away. It's just not safe to give insulin with knowing where your kitty's numbers are! I'm sure someone qualified will help you out soon. :bighug: This site is a life saver and you will learn so much from the wealth of knowledge and experience here.

3. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I appreciate the feedback. This is still new and I didn’t realize the potential severity until Peeka started showing signs of neuropathy.

4. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

Hi Peter, my Kitty “Blackie” was diagnosed with diabetes on 8/6, and we started insulin on 8/9. I’m not home testing yet. I feel so sad for you and sure hope your sweet fur baby gets better. I know you must feel so helpless, cause I sure do. I’m doing pretty good with the shots but I’m nervous about the home testing. I think Bkackie’s brother is diabetic, too. I’ve got to get him into the vet this week. I sure wish we had fed our two boys a better diet. Good luck to you!

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Peter ,welcome to the best place you could be, there are many experienced members here, I really don't know where I would be with out their advice
    Just a little something about Vetsulin

Vetsulin
    is not always the best insulin for cats since it was developed for dogs or canines, Cats have higher metabolisms than dogs so keep that in mind because there are gentler longer acting insulins like Lantus and prozinc. Vetsulin hits hard and fast so you want to make sure Peeka has eaten at least 30 minutes before the shots.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Starting dose of 2 units for vetsulin is a pretty high dose to start with.
    I wouldn't ask your normal to increase it
    We increase by 0.25 units at a time, not whole units
    You may be passing over the correct dose by increase it
    Please start home testing, it's very important to make sure Peeka number is safe to shoot
    You wouldn't want Peekas to drop very low and cause a hypo.and have her numbers drop to dangerous levels

Most of us use Lantus or Prozinc which are gentler insulin's
    That are more expensive but we have places you can get them at much cheaper prices.
    Vetsulin doesn't last the full 12 hours

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

First thing please set up a your signature

If you could set up you signature that would be great
    • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

You will see that the signature is in gray at the bottom of each members posts

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

You said you plan on home testing, if your vet tries to make you by a pet meter most likely will be the AlphaTrak , the test strips for 50 are about 54.00
    We use human meters such as The Relion Prime or Premier
    You can pick them up at Walmart
    The Prime is 9 bucks andc17.88 for 100 strips
    In the beginning you will go through a lot

Most of us feed Fancy Feast Classics Pate, which are 2-3 percent carbs

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-pierson-new-food-chart.174147/

Food chart

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

For the neuropthy we give B-12 Methyl [​IMG]
    1. .
      For the neuropathy in the legs this will help more so when you get the diabetes under control

Hi my cat had neuropathy, this is what I used and many others members because it's cheaper than Zobaline

Hi Here is the link https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-vitamin-b-12-methylcobalamin-5000-mcg-100-capsules-6

Alot of members use this , I use it myself you can buy it on line from Vitacost
      Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules
      It's 17.99 just be sure this is the one you buy
      The only difference is the Zobaline has 200 mcgs of folic acid
      So I buy the folic acid at the supermarket and crush it up and add it to the B-12
      If you can't find the 200 mcg get the 400 mcg and cut it in half
      The Vitacost brand is a capsule so just open it and pour the powder on the wet food
      Has no taste, no need to crush it up
      The Zobaline is 33.99 for 60 pills, too expensive
      I saw a big improvement I'd say 3 months, could be sooner. One capsule a day

Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules
      • SKU #: 835003001804
      • Shipping Weight: 0.23 lb
      • Servings: 100
      [​IMG]

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

14. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Hi Peter, welcome. Wish you didn't have to be here, but glad that you are! You will find so much help for you and Peeka.

As Diane and Paula mentioned, you really should be home testing. Here is a link to some home testing tips and tricks. You mention that Peeka's brother has been diabetic for two years, so maybe you're already doing the home testing?

My kitty also has neuropathy. Diagnosed with it when she got her diabetes diagnosis almost three months ago. I thought her neuropathy came on pretty quick, too. She was always down on her haunches and wouldn't stand properly on all four paws for very long.

Every Cat is Different (ECID) in how fast they'll heal. I started to notice mild improvement in my kitty after maybe two months or so. I waited on the B12 because lower blood glucose numbers are also important to helping kitty recover from the neuropathy. I finally bought the B12 Diane recommended to you above, and it has definitely helped. I have been giving it to her daily for around three weeks or so, and she no longer has the same slouchy, saggy rear end :). Her jumping has improved, too.

It is a combination of lower blood glucose numbers and B12 that help the neuropathy, so testing Peeka's blood glucose and getting her into better blood glucose numbers is key.

15. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello Peter! I hear ya! One day my Trouble was walking just fine. Overnight Trouble went to walking on his hocks. He couldnt walk but a couple of steps without resting. Neuropathy can happen over night. Diane (who ROCKS btw) has given you the link to what your kitty can use to help this condition. It does NOT cure on its own. Once kitties gb numbers are lower and more controlled the two work together. I believe it only took a couple of weeks for Trouble BUT ECID (Every Cat Is Different). Not all respond so quickly.

Hey @Diane Tyler's Mom Have I told you lately... YOU ROCK!

Peter you have landed in a safe place. We all strive to give the best advice possible for ANY and ALL that come here seeking answers.

You may want to start here:
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

Once youve read there if you are interested in going further, you can set up a spreadsheet AND signature. The spreadsheet tracks trends the insulin's job its doing in your cats body.
    The signature lets all our helpers see at a glance, all the pertinent information to your kitties issues.Your signature will appear at the bottom of ALL your posts you can find how to do that here:
    Suggestions, Tech Support & Testing Area

Again welcome to the best darn site to help you learn everything you need to know about feline diabetes..(soon you will be teaching your vet what you have learned here ;):coffee:
    jeanne

16. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

the at home testing is a must for us for sure. When our first cat, Boo, was DX there was some ups and downs. He also had issues with his rear legs, but nothing ever quite as bad as what we’re currently dealing with with his sister, Peeks. I think the sudden and drastic change is what’s causing the bulk of the anxiety for currently, that and trying to have a brave face for my wife who is 5 months pregnant.

The emergency vet also wasn’t much help yesterday as she had made a comment about diabetic animals being a lot of work and having to take into quality of life considerations as well. But after seeing the improvements Boo has made with his diabetes, I know it’s possible for his sister also.

Currently waiting for a phone call from our primary vet to discuss what we have seen and read here, as well as assistance with at home testing. We got very fortunate with Boo as he seemed to have good reactions with his vetsulin. But like I’ve seen here, ECID. I’ll be sure to update my signature with the pertinent information, and I truly appreciate the welcome we have received here so far. My biggest concerns, outside of getting Peeks glucose levels balances out, are her hind legs because it just seems so much worse than Boo when he had his troubles, but I’m hopeful with the right mix of insulin and B12, we can get her right!

17. Diane Tyler's Mom

Aww thank you Jeanne, it just breaks my heart when I read about any kitty that isn't doing well. You Rock yourself, have a good day Jeanne :bighug::cat:

18. jt and trouble (GA)

You want the Methyl B12 Just to be safe.
    and

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!
    j

19. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

That’s what I’ve been seeing. Someone above posted links for something from Vitacost. If it’s possible to get in stores, I may do that instead, just to try and help along the process. The B12 shot given yesterday helped for a while, but by the night time she was struggling again. Or maybe it’s because I’ve been watching her like a hawk, I’m not sure.

20. jt and trouble (GA)

I use to be able to get it from our local health food store. Its been many years since I've had a diabetic kitty Trouble passed away in 2010.

21. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I’m so sorry about Trouble. Trouble had good and caring parents.

22. jt and trouble (GA)

I celebrate Trouble as he led me here. I'm paying it forward because I remember how scared I was. Everyone here was so kind and patient. They took the time and energy all the way, to when Trouble went *OTJ. If I hadnt listened to the good folks here he would have passed sooner.

*OTJ= Off the juice meaning insulin.

23. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I definitely appreciate you helping out! I’m sure everyone here has dealt with the stress and anxiety I’m currently feeling.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  24. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Jus
    Just got off the phone with the vet. He has home testing kits available, I’ll be picking some up. Dropping her off tomorrow morning to get levels checked throughout the day and hopefully we will hear more then.

I did ask about Methyl B12, he informed me it was something he has heard of but doesn’t have a lot of experience. I told him I’d be placing an order and putting Peeka on it.

On a slightly more down note, I did ask what experience he has had with Diabetic Neuropathy, and he told me it wasn’t something he had seen a lot. And some cats recover and some cats don’t but it is mostly to do with not getting the levels correct and figured out. But surely home testing kits will help regulate and monitor those levels, correct? This isn’t a lost cause if we don’t get it right right away?

25. jt and trouble (GA)

Absolutely!
    Your Vet may want to sell you the Alpha Track meter. Its a GOOD meter BUT the strips are very expensive, something like a dollar a strip. While its a good meter, most people here simply cant afford those prices. This whole site was built around human meters. They are cheap and strips are affordable. It will be interesting to see what your vets "package " contains.
    Whatever you decide WE CAN WORK WITH IT!

GOOD LUCK at the vets tomorrow!
    j

26. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

What JT said. No need to get the expensive pet meter. Most of us are on human meters here. Keep in mind it’s not about the price of the meter, it’s the test strips that will add up when you’re testing 2-4 times a day. Walmart’s ReliOn is excellent so I’d suggest you opt for that.

I’m here to give you some good news and hope as Minnie also had severed neuropathy to the point she could barely take 2 steps without having to stop and rest. Couldn’t jump, couldn’t get in and out of the litter box. Once I was able to get her diabetes regulated and she was on b12 methyl - the same Diane indicated above (thank you Diane you do rock!! which btw is totally different than the regular b12 shot so don’t get the 2 confused. Methyl works directly on the spinal fluid to help with nerve regeneration that’s why it helps reverse neuropathy - within maybe 3 months she recovered about 90% abs now I think she’s 99% there with just some residual arthritis. The first vet said she’s never recover and the current vet I see now said maybe 30%. They don’t know so don’t listen to what they say. The one thing I know now having been on this forum for a while is they most vets don’t know much about how feline diabetes works and don’t have a lot of experience with it. Did I miss your cats name above? Your sugar baby will be fine I can promise you. Just know that even starting the b12 methyl now won’t do much good until the diabetes is regulated. That’s when it will start to really work. So be patient and move forward with home testing as it’s the only way to make sure she gets well again! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

I look at Minnie now and I can’t even remember how bad it was before. It’s like it never happened. She’s back to jumping on my super high bed every morning to wake me up!

27. Diane Tyler's Mom

:bighug::bighug:

28. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted here with what home testing kit we get. This is my vets first time offering them, so I think it may be a learning experience all around. I’m sure many people feel this way, but I truly think our vet cares for our animals and offers fair pricing. There’s been many saturdays he has met us at the office for food or what not. But either way, I’m glad to have found a page that is so willing to help. My anxiety isn’t totally relieved yet, but I’m definitely more optimistic now than I was yesterday!

29. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Wow, thank you for sharing this story! I was deeply concerned that it was too aggressive and too much time had passed and it wouldn’t help. I’m sure it’s just because the situation is still so new and I can’t see past today. We actually have two sugar cats. Boo was DX over 2 years ago and has made vast improvements, especially in the last 3-6 months. Peeka is recently DX back in June and is my main concern at the moment. Boo is the longer hair boy, and Peeka is the shorter haired tabby girl. They came from the same litter over 9 years ago after someone found them. In this picture boo is on the left (grey cat) and Peeka is on the right (brown)

Attached Files:

30. jt and trouble (GA)

Boy I totally get that! Our vet worked with us. She early on admitted she didnt know much about the disease and she HAD a diabetic cat. You might keep this little fact in mind. I gave her the link to this site and she was ON BOARD with the good information AND the resulting community here. The second visit we made I showed her my little book of Troubles numbers.(this was before there were such a thing as spreadsheets) She took it from my hands and went through the whole practice showing it to the other vets. She was thrilled.
    Having a vet that works WITH you means everything when it comes to diabetes. It sounds like your vet is one of those. :bighug:;)
    j:coffee:

31. jt and trouble (GA)

Awwww your babies are adorable! :bighug:

32. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

Thank you so much! I’m heading to Walmart before work this morning. However, I DO have a blood glucose monitor and some strips at home that I’ve never use (I had sone low blood sugar and my diabetic sister gave me her old monitor). Can I use those? Are all of the lancets the same size?

33. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

I wonder if this would have the same results with humans suffering from diabetic nerve damage?

34. jt and trouble (GA)

YES it does although neuropathy can be reversed GOOD BG NUMBERS AND Methyl B12 can reverse neuropathy. My hubby is diabetic;)

35. jt and trouble (GA)

If the strips have expired they are no good. I would at least buy new strips for that meter. No reason to start out with anything questionable.

36. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Just keep in mind the issue will be when you need to buy extra strips. 100 lasts me about 2 weeks and the alphatrack strips are $1 each. With ReliOn I get 100 for $17. Something to consider. I don’t think vets don’t have the animals best interest at heart, I just know that if they are not knowledgeable they can cause unnecessary pain to cat and owner. Good luck!

37. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Angels!!!!! Adorable both! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

38. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but my wife is concerned with Peekas pain and injection with the daily testing? The tests everyone mentions, are those injections? I see everyone mentioning strips, I just think my wife doesn’t want to have to do another daily injection. She had said seeing one done as like an ear blood test? I’m not entirely sure.

39. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

We have to buy the lancets, too, right? Are they about the same price as the test strips?

40. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

No question is a stupid question here!

the injection is via syringe so no, not the same. Testing is when you prick the ear with a lancet, or lancet device I prefer the lancet, to get a tiny droplet of blood that you then “collect” onto the strip, the meter processes it and gives you a glucose reading or result that is a number like at the vet. Very much the same process diabetic humans go through daily only they prick their finger. Does it hurt? Most of the time, no. Sometimes Minnie tries to move her ear away, but she sits still for it and if it did hurt she’d be running for the hills. I test her about 4 times a day and she just accepts it because she knows she’ll get a treat immediately after. I sing a song to calm both of us while I’m doing it and I swear she hear me sing and she sits up in her “I’m ready” position. They get used to it just fine. I get not wanting to put your cat through more, trust me. I was reluctant for the same reason at first, but it’s for their own good. And now when I look back I can’t believe I was giving her insulin blind, basically not knowing if she was running too low for the dose that day or not. Just like when you have to medicate a child. They may cry but you have to do it. We have lots of tips here to make the process easier on both you and Peeka. Like warming up the ear so it’s easier to get a decent size droplet, always giving a treat so they make a positive association with testing even when the attempt fails, etc. once you have the meter, we’ll walk you through it. It’s the only way to make sure she recovers and can lead a healthy life. Here are a few diagrams of where in the ear to aim for. There are also member’s videos you can watch to see how to do it.
    CB79262D-140C-4018-A41C-F8A96E73DAF2.jpeg EBCBAAE3-F3AC-48E6-8670-70C7610D5655.jpeg

41. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Blackie, would you mind starting a thread of your own? Sorry but we try not to have 2 parallel convos going on at the same time on a thread. Thanks so much!! :)

to answer your question, yes you have to, but they’re way cheaper and you can use any brand because it doesn’t go anywhere near the meter. I get 100 for a out $2 at Walmart.

42. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

Yes, they ARE expired. It’s a OneTouch Verio Flex. I think I’ll buy a new one to save money on the test strips.

43. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Peter,

I can fully relate to how overwhelmed and anxious you are feeling right now. I think everyone who's ever arrived here has felt the same way in the early days. Things will feel better sooner than you think. :)

Peeka 'n' Boo - love their names! And they're lovely to look at too! :cool:

B12 is a water-soluble vitamin. Any excess should get pee'd out. Here's a useful article from Vetinfo:

Treating Feline Diabetic Neuropathy with Methylcobalamin

And here's a video showing how methylcobalamin helped a little cat called Tootsie:

Fingers and paws crossed that it will be just as helpful to Peeka (and may the video help you and your good lady feel more hopeful). :)

Mogs

44. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Just Purchased the Vitacost. Will there be an issue giving this to Peeka since she normally eats dry food? Or will I just have to convince her to eat these pills somehow?

45. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Watched that video last night, it was a struggle to get through and made my sad because that's why my sweet Peeks is going through right now. But the difference is undeniable. I'm very hopeful to get the home testing kit and start properly monitoring. I may have mentioned above, but I truly had no idea how critical it is to get their dosage correct.

I'm going to also put Boo on testing just to make sure he stays ok, is it normal or possible to have cats need less insulin over time? He is at 4 units 2x/day, but we had steadily increased his over the course of two years and he has just recently, as in the last few months started to look really good.

46. jt and trouble (GA)

Sorry to say this but that dry might be why Peek and possibly Boo 's numbers are on the high side. All dry foods are PACKED with carbs. There are some lower carbed dry on the market One is Young Again the other the name escapes me at the moment someone will fill in that blank:p
    BUT IT is imperative to know that the blunt removal of dry will drop numbers into dangerous levels. You MUST remove dry food slowly a little bit each day.
    j
    Its best to get a handle on testing BEFORE you change any food.;)

47. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

not sure if this changes anything, but this is the dry food they are currently on. https://www.petsmart.com/cat/food-a...VansGTybxcmM2jZyAaxt4OOYmYtxUoeRoCnk0QAvD_BwE

48. Butters & Lyla

Peter, here is a link to some of the videos Aleluia mentioned and a step-by-step guide on testing your cat's blood glucose.

Since you are thinking of committing to the home testing, you could start looking at some other kitties' home testing spreadsheets if you have time. Most of us have them linked in right in our signature. You will see in many cases the dosages go down, and/or up. Some kitties have even gone into remission for a while. But also take note of what type of insulin each cat is on, because kitties respond differently to different insulin types. My Butters was started on Caninsulin (Vetsulin..same same), but we switched to Lantus, which is known as a "glargine" insulin and is used by human diabetics.

Congratulations on your wife's pregnancy! How exciting.:joyful:

Edited to add: Peeka and Boo are so beautiful!!

49. jt and trouble (GA)

Yeahhh uh...how do I put this diplomatically? Theres nothing special about that food except maybe the price. Carbohydrates FEED diabetes.
    Unless your cat has underlying issues like IBS or motility problems, I see no reason to feed that to any cat. Cats are obligate carnivores. Have you ever seen a kitty cat strolling through a garden munching on carrots?

BUT AGAIN lets get a handle on testing before you do any food change. ;)

50. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Oh man... I feel so bad now. Are there any good recommendations for alternatives for feeding? I have seen a lot of people talk about wet foods, and with a baby on the way, it may be a good idea to get the cats on a feeding schedule as well. I won't make a change just yet, they are going to be very upset, they LOVE that food.

51. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Once we get started with the home testing, I will definitely try and keep the spreadsheet going. May be a little difficult working two jobs, but I will try and have some consistency there. As long as the cats are feeling ok and they are happy, it doesn't much bother me how much insulin they are needing. As long as they are good!

Thank you for your congratulations! We are very excited, and that may be part of why I'm stressing out more than normal. My wife is my rock, but I also want to be cautious of not stressing her out too much, that's why I'm so glad to have met this community to keep my morale high! I never in my life thought I would be excited for in home diabetic testing for my sweet cats, but here we are!

52. Butters & Lyla

That's so thoughtful of you to do all the stressing for both you and your wife. :) I know she appreciates it.

You have the right attitude about the insulin amounts. It's not so much about how much or how little insulin a cat needs, it's not bad or good, the goal is to give them an amount where they can be regulated and kept safe.
    The spreadsheets show you how much things like doses vary from cat to cat. Their purpose is to give everyone here a clear picture of what kitties blood glucose numbers are doing so if you have questions about dosing, then people can see "at a glance" what is going on with them. I'd say if, in future, you're going to ask for advice on dosing, that'd be the time to make sure it's up-to-date.

53. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Don’t make any food changes until you’re home testing because it can drop the BG levels by a lot. But yes, diabetic cats should be on food that has 10% or less in carbs. Take a look at this food chart that lists pretty much every cat food out there. We all feed our sugars babies wet food and most of us use Fancy Feast pate which is good quality and lower in carbs. Dry food is like a human eating chips or crackers only. It’s not good for any cat, but especially diabetic ones. Treats should be low carb as well like freeze dried or chicken for example

54. jt and trouble (GA)

DO NOT FEEL BAD! We all have done the same. Its the marketing companies who are at fault. My Trouble was a kitty crack addict (nickname for dry food) He use to sit for hours and stare at where his dry food USE to sit. I felt like a monster. BUT he got use to it. Like I said there are LOWER carb dry foods. One is Young Again the other is Dr. Elseys ot Elsays? I cant remember.lol

55. jt and trouble (GA)

thanks Ale I'm juggling a broken AC (next door) and this board. I may disappear. :eek::rolleyes:

56. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

The spreadsheet will definitely be the next thing I start tracking. I had made a suggestion to my wife about starting on wet food, so we can go from there. The price should be comparable to what we're currently spending on the dry food. I have a feeling they may not complain much, when we lived at home many years ago, my mother in law would feed them some kipper as a treat, and they would go crazy when they knew what she was getting into. Would it be a bad thing to maybe use a combination of Young Again/ Dr. Elseys and wet food? Or would it be better to just keep them on wet food?

57. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I use the Vitacost capsules too. I would open a capsule and mix the content into Minnie’s food since it’s tasteless and odorless. The only way to get them to eat the capsule I think is if you put it inside a pill pocket. You can try that to see if it works. The other idea I have for you, which is what I have to do with the probiotics since they do have a taste, is I mix it with a small amount of baby food. Do you think your cats would eat that? It works as a treat then. You want a brand like Gerber that has no added onions or spices. It’s just meat and cornstarch. It’s low in carb too. Chicken, beef, turkey or pork will work!

58. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

The ideal goal is to transition them completely away from dry, but do it slowly as it can affect not only the BG but also their stool. Again, most of us are on Fancy Feast pate

59. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I have no doubts my cats would eat almost anything you put in front of them. They love to hang around the table when we are eating, Peeka specifically has been known to take a swipe at our food. Our dog has to have a low fat diet, so we are no strangers to checking the nutritional facts before serving food. Fancy Feast Pate will definitely be something we start getting on. Maybe a feeding in the morning before insulin for them?

60. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’d still wait till you’re home testing. It’s safer this way especially if they’ve been on dry food all their lives. It could really drop the numbers significantly and you don’t want to risk a hypo.

and remember, no food 2 hours before you test, then feed, wait 30 minutes then give the insulin. Vetsulin hits hard and fast and you need to have food onboard in advance, unlike gentler longer acting insulins like Lantus or prozync. Vetsulin is also called caninsulin since it was designed for dogs who have slower metabolisms than cats

61. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Spoke with the vet again, it looks like the glucose reader is the Freestlye Libre. I have checked out some other threads in here about peoples opinions on them, I think I'm going to start in home testing using this and if the price gets to be too much, will look into the Relion Prime or some other cheaper alternatives. I apologize if this has been mentioned above, but are there threads or something that can assist with the readings and knowing how much insulin to give? Or am I making it to be more difficult than it actually is?

62. Critter Mom

Hi Peter,

With regard to the diet change, as other members have already commented above it is vital that you are home testing FIRST before changing the carb load in your little ones' diet. I cannot stress strongly enough how critical it is for your kitties' safety that you are testing before even attempting a transition to lower carb food because there is a high probability that their insulin doses will need to be reduced.

Shortly after Saoirse started treatment with Caninsulin she had a massive pancreatitis flare and refused to eat the dry diet the diagnosing vet had put her on. It was high in carbs. I had some low carb food in the house ready to start a food transition and it was the only thing she would even attempt to eat. I called the vet to explain our situation and to ask about reducing her insulin dose. Everything I had researched said that it was likely a dose reduction would be needed. However, my vet said that the existing dose would be OK (3 units Caninsulin). Despite how wrong I thought this was I stuck with the vet's advice. I was only a beginner sugar cat parent at the time and I didn't have the confidence to go against the vet's say so.

Within ***HOURS*** Saoirse's blood glucose levels dropped like a rock. Thankfully I was home testing her and I caught that her blood glucose levels had plummeted and was able to intervene to raise her BG levels back to a safe range. If I had not been home testing I could have lost my beloved girl that night.

I'm sharing this not to scare you but to give you a real-world example of how huge - and FAST - an impact changing from a high to a low carb load can have on a cat's blood glucose levels. Home testing will keep your little ones safe when it comes to the time for their food transition.

Here is a link to information on vet Dr. Lisa Pierson's website about how to safely transition diabetic kitties to a lower carb diet.

Feline Diabetes and Safe Transition to Low Carb Diet

I'd also like to convey my hearty congratulations to you and your good lady for the baby on the way. :)

Mogs

63. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Hi Peter. The freestyle libre is not the same as home testing with a meter and not the same as the freestyle meter. The libre is a meter that is attached to your cat and will give you readings minute by minute throughout the day. The complaints I’ve heard here are the price and the fact that some cats manage to yank it off right away. It’s definitely an option as you warm up to hand testing with lancets and strips, just know it may or may not stay on. I also think it’s only good for about 2 weeks at a time...

@Dusty & Roe did you use the libre or am I confusing you with another member?

64. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Baby steps Peter. Once you’re ready to test, here will be number ranges to guide you until you collect enough data to get to know how you’re cat reacts because every cat is different ECID, as you already know based on the 2 you have!

I’d check out the Vetsulin forum. I just have to voice my opinion that I don’t believe it’s the best insulin for cats. It was meant for dogs and cats are a difference species. I think a longer lasting insulin like Lantus or prozync does a much better job at keeping cats regulated 24/7. Anywho here’s the link to that forum as I’m not familiar with Vetsulin dos and donts:

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/caninsulin-vetsulin-and-n-nph.19/

I’d start by reading all the sticky notes :cat:

65. Diane Tyler's Mom

They are adorable

66. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Peter I see you said you have another diabetic cat Boo , and your wife is concerned with daily testing, don't you test Boo to see what his BG is?

67. Diane Tyler's Mom

I really have no idea, almost all of the cats here eat moist food, we just open he capsule and sprinkle it on the food. No one has ever asked that question.

68. Critter Mom

The Freestyle Libre monitors a cat's glucose continuously. I've not used one but from what I've gathered here, the following seem to be key points:

1. Some people have had good experiences with the Libre. When the Libre works, it provides a lot of data.

2. Each Libre device only works for 14 days.

3. The Libre needs to be stuck on to the cat's skin. Lots of them come off the cat very soon after application.

4. Sometimes the Libre devices stop working within the 14-day period.

(If other members spot anything I've got wrong above, please correct me!)

Based on the above, if I were looking to trial a Libre I would still want to have a regular glucometer at home in case the Libre might come off or break down. That said, from the comments I've read here about the Libre, while I love the concept I would not be inclined to go for one: too unreliable. I would have far more peace of mind with a regular glucometer.

The above is only an opinion from someone who has not used a Libre. Other members may have a different view on the device.

Mogs

69. Diane Tyler's Mom

70. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

See my reply :)

71. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Sounds good, I will be in the market for a different type of test then, it looks like. I can not thank everyone here enough for the awesome amount of support and help so far. It can get discouraging to see my sweet cat struggling, but I'm very thankful everyone here has been so responsive. I apologize if there are a lot of questions that seem redundant, I'm trying my best to absorb as much information as I can and get my sweet Peeks on the road to recovery. I can't wait to add our own success story to the group!

72. Diane Tyler's Mom

I think its a good idea to start testing Boo also

73. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Please we encourage questions. Ask as many as you have to because we’re here to make sure you do what’s best for your cat and understanding it all is key! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

74. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Unfortunately, we did not. we would take him back for regular testing with the vet and would steadily increase his dosage as needed. He responded very well to the vetsulin, and admittedly am hesitant to make a change as he has improved so much, but I am willing to do anything if it helps get him the last little bit of assistance he needs.

75. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Boo will start getting tested as well. I never honestly knew the importance of daily testing for the cats. Our vet had encouraged at home testing, but it wasn't something we looked further into until recently with Peeka.

76. Diane Tyler's Mom

Great idea forgot about the baby food :cat:

77. Critter Mom

Some cats get on grand with Vetsulin, Peter. :)

When you start home testing, as you start accumulating data you'll be able to see much better how Boo's doing "under the bonnet", so to speak. :) If the Vetsulin is keeping him well regulated then great. Ain't broke, don't fix.

Time and testing will reveal all. :)

Mogs

78. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hey Peter most of us use the Relion Prime meter from Walmart, or the Relion Premier
    The Prime is only 9 bucks and 17.88 for 100 test strips
    You can buy any brand lancets a couple of bucks for 100

If you do but a meter get the 28 gauge lancets, it will say it on the box
    The ears will bleed better with a 28 gauge lancet, don't worry you are not going to see a blood bath lol
    Get some cotton rounds, you would but them behind the ear so you won't poke your finger.
    Believe me you and your wife will become pros at it.
    Sometimes I test my cat when he's asleep and he doesn't budge

I'll post a video from one of our members who shows how to test.Congratulations on the baby :cat:

79. Diane Tyler's Mom

This is from one of the members here
    VIDEO: How to test your cat's blood sugar
    Just a note in the video Janet is using a pet meter, which has to be coded
    Most of us use human meters Relion Prime that I mentioned, they do not have to be coded

80. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I told my wife about it and she thought it was the funniest thing! On a serious note, we are willing to make changes in their diet. I let her know about all the information y’all have provided and research and we are going to look into which foods to start feeding the cats. Is there a recommendation on when to start? I’ll start tracking tomorrow when I pick up Peeka from the vet and create a spreadsheet to better assist. According to my sister who was home all day, Peeka took a couple of cat naps on the couch and was moving around, getting water, laying in her various spots. She’s still moving gingerly, but I’m sure that’s to be expected though. Sorry to overshare, I would rather keep you fine people up to date on Peeka rather than withhold information.

81. jt and trouble (GA)

82. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

thank you for the congratulations! My wife has some concerns regarding daily testing, but I’m trying to assure her that even though I’m in amateur now, I will get it figured out eventually and it will be in Peekas best interest long term as far as testing.

83. jt and trouble (GA)

Hey if my hubby can do it you can too. And yes it will be in Peekas interest and it will be of good interest to your wallet.:p

84. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

It’s stressful at first just because it’s something new you’re not used to. But soon it becomes part of the routine, like the injections and feeding!

I second what Diane said. Sometimes Minnie sleeps through it. I also test her wherever she happens to be and she doesn’t budge. On the bed, outside on the grass, kitchen floor, it makes no difference. She hears me singing our “test” lullaby and knows what to expect. She also knows there will be food or a treat immediately after so she’s almost excited about it! Be patient with yourself as you learn. Don’t expect success right away. As Diane mentioned, the ears will learn to bleed and you’ll learn the best way that works for you, so it gets easier.

85. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Peeka relaxing before our vet visit tomorrow. She’s still got strong enough legs to get up on the table (with the help of the chairs, of course)

Attached Files:

86. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Sweet baby! Let’s get her all soon so she can jump everywhere again :bighug::bighug::bighug:

87. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Just dropped her off at the vet this morning. Really hoping and believing that this will be the start of the turnaround for my sweet Peeka. She’s getting testing done today, as well as the Freestyle Libre. Does anyone have suggestions for questions to ask the vet when he calls or anything i should know? Also going to need more help moving forward as we are going to begin daily testing.

88. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Peter you want to switch them over to all wet food slowly by adding thecdry food to it ,then add less each day,BUT only if you are testing , taking away the dry food to all wet food can drop her BG 100 points , so you want to make sure you keep her safe

89. jt and trouble (GA)

Hi Peter good morning
    One thing I think is important to let a vet know is that you fully intend to be a part od Peeksa recovery and treatment. Vets assume their clients cant or wont be trusted to test. Let them know testing WILL be a part of Peekas treatment.

90. Diane Tyler's Mom

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Beef Feast in Gravy 20% High Carbs
    Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Chicken Feast in Gravy. 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Turkey Feast in Gravy. 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Chicken and Beef Feast in Gravy 15% Med Carbs

You might want to pick up a few cans of medium and high carb food , it's really the gravy you would need to bring his BG up, you could give him a teaspoon of food, but you don't want to fill him up on food in case you would have to keep feeding him to bring it up, hopefully it will never happen, also have some honey on hand

91. Diane Tyler's Mom

Most of us feed the Fancy Feast Classic Pates every day, look at the food chart that was posted here, I stick with 2 and 3 percent carbs

92. jt and trouble (GA)

WISE SAGE ADVICE

Peter (Peeka&Boo) likes this.
  93. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Will do, thankfully our Dr. has seemed willing to learn with us and figure it out. He admitted to not being as knowledgeable on the subject but he would be willing to do his research and learn. Hopefully with everyone here’s help, we can teach him a thing or two about cat diabetes.

94. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

So in this case, should we start integrating wet foods tomorrow, with a full day of testing? Or would it be better to do it on a day where someone can monitor the levels?

95. jt and trouble (GA)

Well ideally it would be best to monitor. These days its so up in the air day by day. Lets see what others say.
    Knowing myself/? I would wait. UNLESS I was told otherwise by our group of helpers. Their collective knowledge is invaluable.
    j

96. jt and trouble (GA)

97. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

You mean since she will be on the Libre? I think that’s a good idea. If it stays on for the 14 days, it will be a good time to start the food transition tomorrow because she’ll be monitored 24/7 on it.

I’d ask your vet about Vetsulin versus a longer acting insulin like Lantus and prozync as you may want to consider that down the road if you can’t get the results you want with Vetsulin. Is your vet more experienced with dogs by chance?

Once you’re home testing, you’ll be able to do the curves at home and Peeka won’t have to be at the vet all day for that. The other thing I don’t think we mentioned yet, is that the numbers at the vet are always higher because cats are stressed out. At home her numbers should be accurate and lower.

98. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

But I wouldn’t switch your other cat until you’re testing him too

Critter Mom likes this.
  99. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Sounds good, I think I'll be starting to test both cats once we starting transitioning over to wet cat food. We may also look into one of the dry food, lower carb options mentioned. Still a lot to work through.

I've been looking around, is there a forum that goes over testing results, and knowing how much insulin to give based on the results? I don't want to start testing, only to not know exactly how much insulin to give? Is it like trying to find the right formula?

100. jt and trouble (GA)

Uhhh Peter?
    If you havent noticed the support is NEVER ENDING here. We almost make a pest of ourselves. :rolleyes:
    lol Hang on it could get bumpy But we WILL be here for you AND your wife!

BTW You and your beloved ROCK!
    J.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.