? Need Advice. Diabetic cats and dental surgery

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Finnegan, Mar 14, 2024.

1. Finnegan

Finnegan New Member

Hi. Need some advice/reassurance. Finn needs dental work - including extractions. He's almost 11 and has had diabetes for almost 2 years now. It is more or less under control (his BGL is never as low as it should be but has been stable over many months) but I worry about the surgery. I am rural and the vets have limited experience with diabetic cats.
    Does anyone have advice? The pre-op starving? His insulin shots?
    I am rapidly becoming a basket case just thinking about this.
    Your help is much appreciated.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Finnegan
    Hi it might catch members attention if you would add a ? first then Need Advice in your Title first such as
    ? Need Advice Diabetic Cat and Dental Surgery
    To change it look to the right then tap on the word Thread Tools, then tap on Edit Title and re word it then tap save

4. Finnegan

Finnegan New Member

Thank you.

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

You're welcome :cat:

6. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

I thought there was a post about this with some really good info, let me dig around

7. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

8. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

I wonder if the table @Marje and Gracie posted applies to diet-controlled diabetic cats in diabetic remission? Marje?

[​IMG]

9. Finnegan

Finnegan New Member

Oh my goodness....

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Hendrick Cuddleclaw likes this.
  10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

yes…a diabetic cat in remission would be treated the same as a healthy cat. However, it doesn’t sound like this kitty is in remission as she states his BG has been stable but not as low as it should be.

Welcome to FDMB. We’d love for you to post here and do a spreadsheet for your kitty so we can see if we can help you get his BG where it should be and perhaps into remission if he is already close.

In the chart above, you would have your dentists follow the advice for “diabetic” cats if Finn is still on insulin. Also, while it recommends giving 1/2 the normal dose of insulin prior to the procedure, if he’s running below 90 on a human meter, you might want to just skip his shot if he’s never had diabetic ketoacidocis (DKA). It will be fine as long as he has never had DKA. Also….depending on the anesthesia used, the BG can run low the cycle after a dental so be prepared and test often, even if you skip the earlier shot. The best anesthesia for not causing a post-dental drop in the BG is alfaxalone but not all vets use this even though it is really a gold standard anesthesia these days.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  11. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

I was asking for my own personal knowledge regarding Hendrick and a potential upcoming dental this year. Sorry for derailing your thread @Finnegan

Ty Marje!!

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's progress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help
    If you need help setting up our Spreadsheet just ask
    @Finnegan

13. Finnegan

Finnegan New Member

Thank you all. Your advice has helped.

Finn and I go next Wednesday (the 24th) for his dental surgery. Needs all remaining teeth extracted. Am taking him to the vet in the city, as she is much more experienced.

I am not worried about the surgery but am about the aftermath. She says this ought not bother his diabetes unduly. Hope she is right. I will be a basket case anyway. The last 2 cats I took for dental surgery both died shortly thereafter. Both had pre-existing conditions and the surgery just tipped them over the edge. Apart from the diabetes etc, he is in as good a physical condition right now as he has been for a while, so hopefully he'll be able to tolerate this with as little upset as possible.

Please think of Finn next Wednesday. At least I get to take him in and bring him home the same day. Given his absolute intolerance of change, it is better for him to be home.

Thank you all for the advice you have given. It truly has helped.

Dyana likes this.