? New Member, Mid-day drooling

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Finnegan, Aug 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnegan

Finnegan New Member

Hello,
    First I want to thank everyone on this forum. A little over a year ago I almost lost my beloved Finnegan to what they ultimately diagnosed as diabetes. After a week of fairly intensive veterinary care - and lots of tests - he came home and I started on the journey you have all been on. I was as panic-stricken as any of you have been, quite convinced my boy was going to die. It took a while but ultimately he evened out at 4 units twice a day, a regime he remains on. Having started with blood glucose levels of 32, he now comes in usually at around 10. The vet is pleased with that, he has gained back all the weight he lost, and, amazingly, doesn't mind the injections at all. Pricking his ear for blood on the other hand..... Thankfully, we are now down to checking only once a month so that has helped.

Anyway, he has suffered recurrent bouts of pancreatitis, these usually lasting 3-5 days. He gets over them but, as you can imagine, I am a wreck each time, managing to get along by reminding myself that we've done this before.... We have just emerged from yet another, and longer, such bout, but he seems ok. EXCEPT for one thing.

He drools. The thing is, he is fine in the morning and eats well. As the afternoon advances though, his drooling starts and he loses interest in food. This usually continues until the next morning when he seems perfectly fine again.

I worry about his teeth - indeed, am fairly certain they are poor - but he has never allowed me to look in his mouth. He shows no sensitivity when I touch his jaws (we have 'whisker grooming' sessions each morning), and normally doesn't show tenderness when eating either. The vets here are so backed-up I can't even get an appointment for at least 2 months. but, given his diabetes, I am reluctant to put him through any dental procedures anyway unless absolutely necessary. And I am not certain his teeth even are the problem.

Has anyone out there got any wisdom? If it was teeth I would have expected sensitivity and would not expect this 'fine in the morning, drooling in the afternoon' thing. His BG readings argue against hypoglycemia - or hyper either come to that - so I don't know if or how his diabetes could be causing this. I am at a loss.

My nerves are not taking this well, so if any of you have experienced anything similar I would appreciate hearing from you.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    I think with the drooling I would be testing his BGs to see if he is dropping low. Cats often drop lower at night.
    Only testing once a month is not telling you what is happening for the other 30 days of the month. And a cats BG does not stay the same and he could easily be needing less insulin.
    If Finnegan was my cat, I would be testing before every dose to ensure it is safe to give it and then again about midway through the cycle to see how low the dose is taking him. what type of insulin is he on and what type of meter are you using.
    what food are you feeding him? Do you give snacks during the cycles?

Has the vet checked his teeth?
    Is he on any medications?

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.