Help with Dosing (Partial Continuation)

Shwayna

Member Since 2026
This is a partial continuation from my post: Extremely Soft Stool Problems

Tagging @Suzanne & Darcy (if the tag works)

Jojo's dosages were decided by his vet. She advised that I adjust doses if needed, but on a daily basis, such as adjusting AM shot to 2u if needed, PM to 1u if needed, etc. I realize I should've come and asked for advise, so I apologize. She is no longer helping me out, and has basically told me good luck and to make an appointment if I need something in regards to Jojo's diabetes. As Jojo's PMPS was at 113, I decided to stall shooting. He is at 185 at +1, but even at 185 I haven't shot 3u, instead (stupidly) following my vets advise of adjusting his dose based on what his BG is at.
 
This is a partial continuation from my post: Extremely Soft Stool Problems

Tagging @Suzanne & Darcy (if the tag works)

Jojo's dosages were decided by his vet. She advised that I adjust doses if needed, but on a daily basis, such as adjusting AM shot to 2u if needed, PM to 1u if needed, etc. I realize I should've come and asked for advise, so I apologize. She is no longer helping me out, and has basically told me good luck and to make an appointment if I need something in regards to Jojo's diabetes. As Jojo's PMPS was at 113, I decided to stall shooting. He is at 185 at +1, but even at 185 I haven't shot 3u, instead (stupidly) following my vets advise of adjusting his dose based on what his BG is at
Okay. That explains the wonky dosing. It’s okay. We all try to do our best and if the vet is telling us stuff we usually rely on that.
 
Okay. That explains the wonky dosing. It’s okay. We all try to do our best and if the vet is telling us stuff we usually rely on that.
I did decide not to shoot tonight, as it just feels his BG was too low for 3u. It seems I should be decreasing his units by 0.25 at the next shot if he gets below 90 with the current units he's at. Seems like I definitely should've decreased sooner. I don't want to put pressure on anyone, so I ask this as a generalized question so that way there's less pressure. Would it seem to be more advised I give him 2.75u at his next dosage? That is, if his BG is high enough to get a shot. I suppose it'd help if I mention I do have syringes with half markings, but they don't show .25 markings.

Again, I don't wish to be putting pressure on you, or anyone, from asking dosing questions, or a lot of questions. Thank you for all the help you've been giving me, previously and now!!
 
Let me look again at the spreadsheet and make a recommendation. No pressure. I do this all the time for ProZinc members (help with dosing as well as many other things.) Asking questions is always a good thing!! This is important!
 
Are you using the ReliOn for all the BG tests now? It looks like that from your notes.

I would actually like to see you reduce the dose to 2.5 starting tomorrow. He will probably be high in the morning due to the skipped shot tonight, but I would shoot 2.5 units regardless. Jojo needs some time on a stable dose if possible. A lot of dose changes from day to day can really make the numbers unstable. This doesn’t mean that you can’t do a slightly reduced dose if the preshot number is low. We can gradually work up to shooting lower preshots. I would like to not have skipped shots though. There’s rarely any reason to actually skip a shot if you will be around to monitor the cycle a bit.
 
Are you using the ReliOn for all the BG tests now? It looks like that from your notes.

I would actually like to see you reduce the dose to 2.5 starting tomorrow. He will probably be high in the morning due to the skipped shot tonight, but I would shoot 2.5 units regardless. Jojo needs some time on a stable dose if possible. A lot of dose changes from day to day can really make the numbers unstable. This doesn’t mean that you can’t do a slightly reduced dose if the preshot number is low. We can gradually work up to shooting lower preshots. I would like to not have skipped shots though. There’s rarely any reason to actually skip a shot if you will be around to monitor the cycle a bit.
Yes, I am using the Relion permanently from now on!

I will start him on 2.5u and keep that for a week, unless something seems to change. I will try not to skip shots, I just did so tonight as I was unsure.

I really appreciate your help. I know I have said this many times, but I do mean it!
 
What is Jojo eating? I see Friskies shreds? Those are not low carb to the best of my knowledge. I looked up several of the flavors and see 15-18 percent carbs on a dry matter basis. The dry matter basis is the value that you need to look at.
 
What is your time zone and what is your shot time?

I understand about the skipped shot tonight. I would just like to try to be around to help make those decisions if/when it happens again. We can talk about options in advance sometimes too.

You are doing just fine! It’s going to be okay!
 
What is your time zone and what is your shot time?

I understand about the skipped shot tonight. I would just like to try to be around to help make those decisions if/when it happens again. We can talk about options in advance sometimes too.

You are doing just fine! It’s going to be okay!
I'm in central daylight time, so it's currently 11:20 PM for me currently.

To respond to your previous question, he is fed primarily Friskies Shreds with some Pate mixed in. Jojo won't touch Pate at all unless it's mixed in. I thought you looked at the carbs from the as fed percentage, as no shock, that's what my vet told me 😓.
 
Back
Top