Extremely Soft Stool Problems.

Shwayna

Member Since 2026
Hi all,

I wanted to make sure it's clear I'm going to be mentioning stool/waste, and I'll try my best to refer to it as stool. I don't want someone to power through reading this post if they know they get queasy about this topic!
I also want to make it clear that I will be contacting his vet on this issue. I just know she's going to push for him to go on a diabetic cat food from Hill's Science, and that would be dry food. Jojo's teeth can't handle dry food right now, and the dry food has so much more carbs than wet food.
Also, sorry for the very long post. I prefer to give more information than necessary, and I will try to work on trimming down how much information I get.

Jojo is currently being fed Friskies Shreds and Friskies Pate (two cans of shreds, 1/2 a can of pate a day) and the Pate is the poultry mix bundle, while the shreds is just the 48 pack of flavors. Since the switch, Jojo's stool has become much softer. I expected this, considering he was going from kibble to wet. But, it seems like it's too soft. I've noticed Jojo is obsessively licking at his bum, trying his best to clean himself every time he goes #2 in the litter box. He is able to clean the fur area around his tail and bum somewhat okay, though it does take a while, but he can't get closer to the skin. I'm at a point where I must wipe him after he uses the litter box.

Jojo hates being wiped, but I have to wipe him or else there's a high probability he'll leave spots of waste around the apartment after he sits down or lays down somewhere. I have figured out Jojo can't tolerate any amount of cheese, so he no longer gets the turkey and cheese flavor. But, all the other flavors seem to make this issue happen.

Our other cat is being fed the same diet, just less, and she also has a microchip feeder so Jojo can't steal food. He isn't getting any amount of people food, and if he does get treats, it's freeze-dried chicken breast. I know he does tend to have a sensitive stomach, and I've decided I'm going to try to do a process of elimination with different proteins to see if any get his stomach upset. I'm already aware chicken doesn't get his stomach upset, so I have to try some other proteins.

He does also have a very large litter box he uses, so large that he can lay down and roll twice in one direction if he'd like to. So, I'm not concerned about the litter box being too small.

I suppose I'm mainly looking to hear if this sounds like this is normal, though. Jojo is an overweight cat, so I do know grooming can be difficult, but he's never really had much issue with cleaning his bum until he started to switch over to wet food a few months ago. I know wet food makes stool softer, and I don't know if this sounds like it's just him having a hard time grooming, or if it could be a sensitive stomach issue. He does get a sanitary cut from the groomers every few months, and he goes back on the 28th, so I'm hoping this sanitary cut will help reduce this issue.

Thank you all! Again, sorry for the extremely long post.
 
Hi all,

I wanted to make sure it's clear I'm going to be mentioning stool/waste, and I'll try my best to refer to it as stool. I don't want someone to power through reading this post if they know they get queasy about this topic!
I also want to make it clear that I will be contacting his vet on this issue. I just know she's going to push for him to go on a diabetic cat food from Hill's Science, and that would be dry food. Jojo's teeth can't handle dry food right now, and the dry food has so much more carbs than wet food.
Also, sorry for the very long post. I prefer to give more information than necessary, and I will try to work on trimming down how much information I get.

Jojo is currently being fed Friskies Shreds and Friskies Pate (two cans of shreds, 1/2 a can of pate a day) and the Pate is the poultry mix bundle, while the shreds is just the 48 pack of flavors. Since the switch, Jojo's stool has become much softer. I expected this, considering he was going from kibble to wet. But, it seems like it's too soft. I've noticed Jojo is obsessively licking at his bum, trying his best to clean himself every time he goes #2 in the litter box. He is able to clean the fur area around his tail and bum somewhat okay, though it does take a while, but he can't get closer to the skin. I'm at a point where I must wipe him after he uses the litter box.

Jojo hates being wiped, but I have to wipe him or else there's a high probability he'll leave spots of waste around the apartment after he sits down or lays down somewhere. I have figured out Jojo can't tolerate any amount of cheese, so he no longer gets the turkey and cheese flavor. But, all the other flavors seem to make this issue happen.

Our other cat is being fed the same diet, just less, and she also has a microchip feeder so Jojo can't steal food. He isn't getting any amount of people food, and if he does get treats, it's freeze-dried chicken breast. I know he does tend to have a sensitive stomach, and I've decided I'm going to try to do a process of elimination with different proteins to see if any get his stomach upset. I'm already aware chicken doesn't get his stomach upset, so I have to try some other proteins.

He does also have a very large litter box he uses, so large that he can lay down and roll twice in one direction if he'd like to. So, I'm not concerned about the litter box being too small.

I suppose I'm mainly looking to hear if this sounds like this is normal, though. Jojo is an overweight cat, so I do know grooming can be difficult, but he's never really had much issue with cleaning his bum until he started to switch over to wet food a few months ago. I know wet food makes stool softer, and I don't know if this sounds like it's just him having a hard time grooming, or if it could be a sensitive stomach issue. He does get a sanitary cut from the groomers every few months, and he goes back on the 28th, so I'm hoping this sanitary cut will help reduce this issue.

Thank you all! Again, sorry for the extremely long post.
I don’t think that sounds normal unfortunately. Any chance the wet food might have proteins or other ingredients that don’t agree with him?

Personally whenever Moonie has soft stools, s bouillardi has been a complete lifesaver for us.

How to Use S boulardii for diarrhea
 
I don’t think that sounds normal unfortunately. Any chance the wet food might have proteins or other ingredients that don’t agree with him?

Personally whenever Moonie has soft stools, s bouillardi has been a complete lifesaver for us.

How to Use S boulardii for diarrhea
The foods are a mixture of proteins. Turkey, chicken, beef, tuna and ocean whitefish. Plus whatever the company may throw in there. I am thinking of trying to do a process of elimination with different proteins, making sure they're plain and just boiled.

I'll check out the S bouillardi! Thank you so much!
 
The foods are a mixture of proteins. Turkey, chicken, beef, tuna and ocean whitefish. Plus whatever the company may throw in there. I am thinking of trying to do a process of elimination with different proteins, making sure they're plain and just boiled.

I'll check out the S bouillardi! Thank you so much!
That sounds like a good idea. I found out the hard way that Moonie’s GI system does not like beef 😭

The s bouillardi recommended on that site is with MOS. Many kitties tolerate it but some kitties won’t because MOS can smell bitter. So Moonie gets the version without - it still works for us to stop soft stools. Flagging just in case your kitty also rejects the optimal version of s bouillardi :)
 
I recommend that do you NOT get convinced on "Prescribe" digestive or any other vet food, These food contain between-20-28% carbs and Jojo's BG's are beginning to get bluer, I am surprised Jojo is still getting a high dose of ProZinc and still getting such high levels, one of the main reason is that you are changing doses if I can say every other day, this is not good, you need to give the same dose at AMPM/PMPS it takes several cycles for the insulin to react in Jojo's system, and to se results and a pattern ,this is a reason for the bounces in BG.
in Regards to the soft pooping, perhaps if you made a sudden transition from dry to food at any given time., this could cause stomach upset, the transition needs to be a slow one, and removing high carbs to low carbs suddenly it also can dive down to BG too quick. If this was not the reason, then if he continues to have this issue, you might want to have a conversation with your vet to perform a fecal test, be persistent on the test and do not let the vet insist that the prescribed food is what's necessary, just FYI these food are sold to the vet by a sales person, he makes commission, then he sells it to you, he makes commission, most of the times the vet has no idea what goes into these foods they are selling, so that is not going to take care of the issue, but unstable Jojo's levels, and off course he wants to lick, the soft stool is hot, he's irritated, you might want to rub just a bit of Vaseline on the part of the wipe you are using, very small amount to relieve the irritation.
A non-diabetic cats' glucose level is between 50-120, and as you experienced with the Libre all the flaws it has, I want to say I am please you retested manually, always take the human meter's level as value.
Corky uses ProZinc, I shoot in low numbers, it took a couple of years to become brave enough and learns Corky's patterns to do so, ( I do not recommend you to do this now, you need to learn Jojo's consistency in patterns first), when at the beginning if Corky, an hour before shot he had 150BG I will bombard this Forum, I say this because I was reading your notes, and noticed you please Jojo with the chucky gravies, this food has 21-24% carbs, the Honey is used only if the BG is 50 or less it is only a quick fix, so after his BG is safe, you start to feed 1tsp of low carb every hour-test repeat procedure once he is above 60, and 60 is a great number.
Fancy Feast has some great chunk's and Flakes low carbs, Fancy Feast has some great chunk's and Flakes low carbs,
Fish & Shrimp Flake 0% / Chunky Chicken 4 % / Medley's White meat Chicken Fare in a savory sauce (very Chunky/gravy like) 4.5%
 
Back
Top