GA Boots has crossed the bridge

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Megan and Boots (GA), Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megan and Boots (GA)

Megan and Boots (GA) Member

I can barely compose thoughts now, but since so many chimed in to try to help the past days as Boots has been struggling, I wanted to let everyone know that we helped him cross the bridge today.

The past year has been a roller coaster, and the past months had gotten worse, leading up to the past couple weeks. Nothing seemed to help him turn that corner as we had hoped, so we made the decision to let him finally find his peace today.

I can't even say it was ultimately a difficult decision. Painful - yes, but not difficult. He was ready. I could see it in his eyes. He started telling me last week but we weren't ready to stop fighting then. And he tried too; boy did he try. But too much in his sweet body was just too badly broken in the end, and we had to let him finally rest. We were with him every moment, and he left this world being bathed in love. Even gone now, he is still so very, very loved.

I don't know exactly how to go on now. Everyone here knows how all-encompassing our babies can become in our lives. I won't know what to do with myself every day at 8am and 8pm. I no longer will have a reason to duck out of work every day at lunchtime to go home and check his blood sugar. I'll need to get used to feeding prep time for the civvies taking seconds instead of the minutes of daily pills, powders, BG checks, and shots. I feel empty and without purpose. I know this feeling will pass, or at least fade, but at the moment, the pain and loss is excruciating.

Boots came into my life as a debonair young man in 2004. He's been with me through thick and thin, never once ceasing to bring me pure love and joy. He was and is my soul cat. His eyes bored into mine with each look. He knew me, and I knew him, through and through. I don't remember how to live without him, but I'll just keep putting one foot in front of the other until I can figure it out.

Thanks to everyone who helped us on this FD journey - helped us on those scary <50 readings, helped us get OTJ for a few sweet months, helped us on the bad days when I knew I could always turn here for guidance and support. I don't know that I have ever experienced a community like this with so much knowledge, kinship, and love to give. I don't plan on leaving for good, as I want to continue to see the great many successes that can be achieved, and to cry along with those who will also experience the sadness and loss.
    I'll likely check in in the next couple of days once I wrap my head around all the meds and supplies and such that we can unload.

I love you, Boots. You're my Boo-Bear, my Pudding, my Sweet Baby Boy. I wouldn't be me without having you. You truly made me better. I love you forever.

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to Boots. :( I'm glad it wasn't a difficult decision for you, even though it is devastating. Having a friend by your side for 15 years is a long time, I bet you don't remember life without him. Im not sure you ever figure out how to go on, you just do. :( I'm sad for you and I hope you can take comfort in your selfless love for Boots, your family, and your other kitties. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Dear Megan - I am so very sorry for your loss. Your love and care for Boots is so clear. I'm sure he loved you as much if not more. So very sorry.

4. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Megan, I'm so sorry. How lucky you both were to find each other. I hope time and happy memories of Boots will ease your pain. :bighug:

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Megan....I'm so sorry to hear it was Boots' time to leave, but you made the most loving decision to let him go. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Give yourself as much time as you need.....we will be here!!

Fly free sweet Boots and land softly....the Bridge has another angel tonight and he has lots of friends to play with until the day you can be with him forever cat_wings>o

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

We never have them with us long enough but he will be with you in your heart forever. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Girlie's mom likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

{{{Megan}}} I am so sorry it was Boots' time to earn his angel wings. :bighug::bighug::bighug: He will be in good company at the Bridge, where he will be waiting for the one who loves him so much. His broken body is whole again.

Take care of you too.

8. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Megan}}}

My heart is breaking as I absorb the knowledge that Boots has crossed the Bridge. I was so hoping you could have a few more quality weeks or even months together. Alas, it was not to be. Of course, the one that knew him best and was most in-tune with him, knew when it was time to stop fighting. No matter how much your heart cried out not to give up, you knew it was what he wanted, and in the most selfless gift of all, you set him free. I know what that cost you, but fear not. He will never really leave you. That hole you feel in your heart isn't really empty. It's just occupied by a memory now, and what a sweet one it is. In time, you'll cherish that and you won't feel as bereft. You'll never stop missing his physical presence, but you'll make peace with the fact that you just have to see him differently now. Or, as Lyresa says, you have to hug him differently. As you grieve, know we are all grieving with you. Lean on us. We understand, and we care. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Fly free, dear Boots, and land softly.
    :rb_icon:

Girlie's mom likes this.
  9. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

(((Megan))), I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Such a hard decision to make, but it was the gift of love that Boots needed most. I hope your long years of wonderful memories can help your heart to heal. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Fly free, sweet Boots, land softly and send your Mama a rainbow from the Bridge:rb_icon:

3fffd8dfe008c168053c2f152e524d73.jpg "Cats never completely leave you. They side step time, shrug off death - come at the call of memory, their beauty undiminished, their touch as gentle, their love perpetual."

Tuxedo Mom and Girlie's mom like this.
  10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss of your beautiful friend

11. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Fly free Boots. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

((Megan))

I am so sorry that Boots has crossed the Bridge. Making the decision to allow our furbabies to escape the pain is the greatest, and hardest gift of love. Just like you, I made The Decision when my Tuxie told me he was tired of fighting and had nothing left to give. Knowing it is time makes the choice easier to make, but it doesn't stop your heart from breaking. Hold those special memories close in your heart to give you peace and strength at this sad sad time.

[​IMG]
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

JanetNJ and Girlie's mom like this.
  13. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Dear Megan,
    I was just starting to know you and Boots, and even in that short a time, you both made such an impression on me. My heart is heavy for the loss of your soul cat. Some cats are like that, aren't they? You look into their eyes and there is just a profound connection. Although that makes the pain of your loss even greater, you are blessed to have had the privilege to have known that with Boots.

You did a very courageous and selfless thing by setting Boots free.

I hope your pain eases in time and you can remember Boots with smiles of joy...

Fly free, dearest Boots, and land softly. Send your wonderful mom a rainbow from the bridge... :rb_icon:cat_wings>o

Take all the best care of yourself, Megan. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry for your loss:bighug:

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((((Megan)))))

There are no words. Your tribute to Boots echoes of what I wrote in Gabby's Legacy and what I posted the day she crossed the Bridge. Closing her spreadsheet was gut wrenching. Some of the emptiness passes. It is replaced by a gentler sort of ache when a memory is sparked. The quote that Squallie's mom posted was something I came across and eased a bit of the acute grief. I keep that quote along with the link to Gabby's Legacy in my signature. I hope it gives you the comfort it provided me.

Fly free Boots and land softly. You are dearly loved and will be reunited with the ones you love best.

16. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for you loss Megan :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Fly free Boots :rb_icon:cat_wings>o:rb_icon:

17. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Peace Megan to you and your family.

18. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry it was time for Boots to cross. Take comfort in knowing that many of our L&LL GA kitties are keeping him safe until you can be together again. Our thoughts and prayers are with you...

19. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to your beloved kitty. :rb_icon:cat_wings>o:bighug:

20. Glennie

Glennie Member

Megan, my heart breaks for the pain you're going through. With deep love comes deep pain. So very sorry. Thoughts and prayers for you. Hugs!

21. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

22. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

23. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

Boots may have crossed the bridge, but he will never forget the compassion those still on the other side showed him. He had a great bean, who scarified so much to make sure he was well cared for. When the time came that the pain was too much, you made the best decision for Boots, not yourself. A selfless act that was your last gift to such a good friend.

I'm sorry it was his time to leave you, but know that there will always be a big place in his heart for memories of you.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Megan..... your words touch echo in my heart with so many emotions.... your love for Boots is beyond expression.
    Even when it is the most unselfish thing we can do it is so difficult. Sending you so many healing thoughts, and I pray the happy memories will soon comfort you.:bighug::bighug::bighug::rb_icon:

25. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Megan I am so very sorry to hear that Boots has gone to the Bridge.
    Nothing prepares us for this heartache :bighug:
    Land softly Boots:rb_icon:cat_wings>o

sarahtee likes this.
  26. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Megan, I am so very sorry that it was Boots time to go. But, as a wonderful caregiver you listened to your sweet baby and helped him get comfortable again. Peace be with you now at this very difficult time. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Megan)))

I am so very sad for you to hear that Boots has crossed. It is the hardest thing ever to let go of our babies and allow them to walk a new path without us. But it’s the ultimate gift of love we can show them.

I wish you peace in the knowledge that you have done the very best for Boots at every moment.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. :bighug:
    :rb_icon:

29. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Megan))))
    I'm so sorry.
    It's a very difficult journey, loving others. But oh so wonderful that it happens.
    You gave him your all, especially all your love.
    Prayers for your grieving heart.
    Fly Free Boots.

[​IMG]

30. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

Megan, You are so right, they tell you it is ready and I know this from experience, from my precious Mere, a wanna be Maine Coon, that was precious to the age of 16, leash trained and a full-time RV cat! Be comforted and at peace, Hugs, Kathe

31. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

32. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

:rb_icon:Megan, I'm so sorry it was Boots time. I'm happy to know that Boots and Beenie will play together now. I know how heart breaking this all is but have to even remind myself they are free now from any discomforts of their ailing bodies which brings me some peace. Time heals all.
    cat_wings>oFly free sweet Boots

33. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

The thing about soul kitties is that they never really leave you. I have no doubt he's watching over you right now, smiling in his own debonair way, thanking you for the beautiful life he was so lucky to share with you. May all the wonderful memories from that time bring you comfort and peace when you need it the most.
    Fly Free sweet Boots. :rb_icon:

34. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss of your beloved Boots.

35. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

(((Megan)))

I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you.

Fly free and land softly sweet Boots

36. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Megan)))
    Nothing quite prepares us for the loss of our soul kitties, but Boots is at peace now and watching and waiting until you meet again cat_wings>o. With deepest sympathy :bighug::bighug::bighug:

37. Kako & Tux

Kako & Tux Well-Known Member

Oh I am so sorry.... Megan and Boots, you did very well.
    (((((((Megan)))))))

38. Megan and Boots (GA)

Megan and Boots (GA) Member

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone for your kind words and condolences. I have read and re-read them, and they are helping to bring me peace during this time.

Boots was my first furbaby, and the first I've lost. I always knew the pain would be great when he left us, but nothing prepared me for how crushed I felt when it finally happened. My life changed in that instant, and now we try to find a new normal without him here with us. All the "firsts" without him are hard. Beginning the process of cleaning up his things is gut-wrenching. Comforting and loving his "sisters" is our big goal now. It breaks my heart that there could be no goodbyes for them. Polly's 12th birthday was Friday, one day after her big brother and protector left us. He took to her right away when she came to us at all of 2 months old, so my heart breaks for her all over again to have lost his presence.

What also comforts me is hearing from family and friends as we tell them the news. To hear how this little guy touched so many people. So many voices choking up as they recall fond memories of his younger days as a little mischievous scamp, and of his absolute love of people, always wanting to be the center of attention in a crowded room. My baby niece, who turns 1 later this month, got to see him in October when my sister brought her to visit me as I was recovering from surgery. Even in failing health and not feeling his best (had an ER vet visit and a regular vet visit with enemas that same week), he so calmly let her give him tons of clumsy baby pets, never once becoming irritated by her, just enjoying the love and attention. That was my boy. That loving demeanor is what has touched my heart so deeply, and what I'll carry with me in my heart forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.