10/19 Sunny AMPS 290

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Holly and Sunny Bear, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Holly and Sunny Bear

Holly and Sunny Bear Member

2. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

Not a bad AMPS. Hopefully you’ll have some success finding some MC/HC that he likes so getting into the greens will be more comfortable.

Holly and Sunny Bear likes this.
  3. Holly and Sunny Bear

Thanks Hilary! We were pretty happy with seeing a yellow PS this morning. It's a welcome improvement! Sunny is happy and playing this morning:cat:

I was going to ask you, what do you use for mc and hc foods?

And now that you're pretty steadily in the greens, how do you ever feel comfortable enough to go to bed? Did you feel a lot of nervousness when George started seeing green regularly? I feel very nervous about it - when/ if we get there. Don't know if I'll be able to concentrate on anything else (like work ha!) Or ever be able to sleep without one eye open:nailbiting:

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you see more blue soon.

5. Holly and Sunny Bear

Thank you! Me too!

6. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

:):)
    I’m glad Sunny us feeling more like himself today!

For MC I use fancy feast gravy lovers turkey and George absolutely loves it. For the HC I use fancy feast gravy lovers beef. What all have you tried for Sunny?

I used to be nervous when I saw YELLOWS haha. When I was using Vetsulin and Prozinc I often shot a reduced dose when I would see low yellows or blues (I had no idea what I was doing and was SO scared of hypo)…it just turned out not to work at all so when I switched to MPM (thankfully) I finally got used to shooting lower numbers, but the Prozinc was still so harsh for George that once I was finally on Lantus I got comfortable shooting the low numbers really fast since it was so much more gentle as far as onset went. I still monitor George probably way more than I need to, so I’m not a great example of proving it’s easy to relax…but a lot of his tests aren’t because I think he actually needs one (we had a really hard time testing at first so if he comes seeking a test now I usually give him one for the heck of it :rolleyes:…he also has a really bad habit of waking me up in the middle of the night so I’m like well, if I’m awake I may as well test him…it’s a little ridiculous haha).

But knowing his onset and when he is likely to drop, and when he normally flattens out and/or starts rising in the cycle is really helpful in knowing when I can stop testing. George definitely has different onsets and nadirs between the am cycles and the pm cycles so all the data I can get is really helpful. And also knowing how he reacts to the MC and HC. The drops and the limes definitely become really manageable…I don’t panic at all when I see a lime green anymore so you definitely get comfortable with it :)

7. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

And look at that nice blue PMPS again!

8. Holly and Sunny Bear

@Hshray Thank you for all this info and support!
    I have tried the FF chicken hearts and liver and blue blissful belly and blue whitefish and potato all for mc foods, and have tried the beef gravy lovers for hc, but Sunny tends to throw up when he gets low (in the 40s and low 50s). He used to eat anything I'd put in front of him, but now he will walk away from all of these even if he's ravenous. I think they make him remember his nausea or something.... He will eat his lc food though even when he's low.
    It makes me really nervous that I might not be able to rescue him sometime. The last couple of times I had to use some karo and hc dry food, and he obviously felt awful through the process (until he finally held some food down).

Last night though I gave him a tiny amount of royal canin sensitive stomach food in Gravy, along with his lc food and he ate it. It's hc. He wasn't very low though at the time. But at least I know he has some interest in that one. So I have it on hand for next time.

I was more confident in being able to manage a hypo before his last time in the 40s which was difficult to manage bc of all his vomiting. That shook me up.

I notice you give mc when George gets down into the 50s. I think I'll just gave to start doing that too. I was always relying on lc until we reached the 40s. By then he's too nauseous (and full of lc) I guess.

Thanks for all these pearls! I need to sit down with the data and see if I can identify patterns that are going to make me more comfortable in predicting what he's gonna do ahead of time.

I've also thought of switching his insulin time to 5am and 5pm or 6am and 6pm maybe.... so I won't be so groggy during his pm cycle. But I'm definitely not an early morning person! So I'd probably sleep through my alarm. Ha! What time do you shoot?

9. Holly and Sunny Bear

I think he might be planning a pajama party tonight. Little stinker doesn't realize mama has to work in the morning! I keep telling him to go lower in the day and save the higher numbers for night but does he listen? Nooooo

10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Another thought...could you perhaps give Cerenia if you see him dropping early?

Holly and Sunny Bear and Hshray like this.
  11. Holly and Sunny Bear

That's a thought! My vet is so stingy with it (she only gives me 4 at a time) and she doesn't approve of me letting Sunny go below 80) so it will take some doing to get more Cerenia, but I'll try that.

FrostD likes this.
  12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yeah I wouldn't want to give it to him all the time because that's probably not good, but it may help. Not sure how long it takes to kick in, can't remember

13. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

This is what I always tell George! If you’re going to drop, drop in the DAY time haha. I’ll see what he decides to do for his +2 tonight…he had me fooled with that 52 at +3 last night.

Feeding MC if in the 50s in the first part of the cycle (or very occasionally a little higher - like 60s/70s - if he has a big drop early in the cycle) has been really helpful for George. It definitely helps him surf and stay in better numbers longer.

I shoot at 7:20ish, knowing that I can easily get up to a +4 any night without causing any schedule craziness for us. I usually don’t go to bed until after 11, so +5s aren’t too much of a stretch to get for us either if necessary, and he’s usually flat or going up by then so it works for us. I am fortunate in that I work from home so we have a little more flexibility. I guess George may be somewhat listening because he hasn’t actually dropped below 50 on a pm cycle on almost two months…the MC has definitely helped with that though.

14. Holly and Sunny Bear

I think it's about a half hour it seems....

15. Holly and Sunny Bear

That is the trick I've been looking for! I think this is part of what we've been missing that will help me a lot in the PM cycle. :woot:

I'm lucky to work from home too.i don't know how anyone would manage this (especially tight regulation) with having to leave the house. But i know there are lots who do and they amaze me. I'd be a nervous wreck! I'd have to bring Sunny to the office. Lol

Hshray likes this.
  16. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

I agree, it would be SO hard!
    :D:D:D