Working on getting Logan Regulated.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Logan & Sandy, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink @JanetNJ Logan has been given a hair over 1 unit as of 2/8 trying to get him regulated.. this is all a process. This morning for amps he was 288. Up down, down up.. he seems to be so sensitive to carbs, insulin..and life. logan2921.jpg hair over.jpg

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Nice picture of the syringe, and shows how far you drew up the insulin. Glad to see you have the syringes with the 1/2 unit markings. Those are really helpful.
    ECID Every Cat is Different. It takes as long as it takes to get Logan regulated and get his BG levels better.

You asked me in your last thread how long it took me to get Wink into remission. Well, Wink was a shelter cat, a foster cat. He had been on 2 different insulins. Very high carb dry food when I took him in as a foster. He was a dry food addict, I kid you not. Once I got him off the high carb dry food and eating wet, he went OTJ (remission) fairly quickly. But it was a struggle to get him to realize that wet food was yummy. Best part, his severe diabetic neuropathy completely reversed itself, as did the dandruff, the huge patches of his fur that had fallen out, and so many other things.

I ended up adopting him, and lost him to severe HCM almost 4 years ago. There is a profile in my User Id Signature. Don't read it unless you are ready to cry your eyes out. It's not a happy ending.

3. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink certain cats really make it for us,.. (thx for sharing) I lost my number 1 favorite cat a little black n white tux named Donna.. she was so very special.. she passed feb 16 2020..congestive heart failure.. in one weeks time.. broke my heart. she used to put her paws around my neck and lick my chin..I do plan to read about Wink.. you were lucky to get him into remission.. am sorry for your loss.. its always hard to lose that special one.. tonite logans PMPS is 351.. 100 less than last nite PMPS.. he was 258 at +7 last nite.. but i think i missed his low,, i should have gotten it at +5or+6.. I just worry that i may not get him regulated before this causes him damage.. PS when i tried to read what you were talking about it showed this: This member limits who may view their full profile. maybe send me a private msg?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  4. Deb & Wink

If Logan doesn't come back down into some nicer low blues and green BG numbers. I think you might have to increase the dose again. You want him to spend more time in those blue and green BG numbers, so his pancreas can rest and heal.
    I obviously didn't explain that well.

What I meant was if you look at the end of my posts, there is my signature. After all the important info, after the blue link for Wink's SS, there is a second link to a more detailed profile about Wink and his family. It's called Wink's Profile. All you have to do is click on that to open it. It's a shared view only document, in a word processing format type Google doc.

Profiles like that weren't terribly common back when I joined the message board in 2013 but they were encouraged. You hardly ever see something like that anymore on here. It's mostly a loving tribute to Wink now.

5. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink thx i will look at that... my 17 yr ole niece came to visit that we havent seen for a few months tonite, so i have to keep this short,,Logan at +3 was 206 and for the pmps he was 263... (I wasn't able to test more today..) do you still think I should raise him again..?? say to 1.25?? thx deb.. sandy

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Deb & Wink

Yes, I do think you need to raise his dose again. To 1.25U.

Hope the visit with your niece went well.

Logan & Sandy likes this.
  7. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink Hi, thx... maya our niece will be here tonite too and possibly fri, nite,, plus i hav to wk at art gallery tonite.. i can't get suzanne to test.. but she will do the shot,, but i think I tested at (1016AM.).+3 bg212.and then I plan to test at +6 then at +9. I'm a little hesitant to go up to 1.25.. but maybe thats best? he's been kinda high (obviously..) i was also toying with going with 1.10.. but if you think that 1.25 would be best then I will have her give him that tonite,, also I tried to find that link about Wink.. at the end of your posts,, but i guess i must be missing something,,? i don't know.. hope you are ok over there,, pS I just found it,, showing the 3 year aniversary,, yes it did bring some tears,, You loved him.. Feb 16 marks one year for Donna.. she went so fast,, i noticed her legs gathered fluid,, took her 2 vet,, he thought she had been bit by a bug and gave me meds, to give her,, didn't wk, he said her heart was ok,, within one week she was gone. we are convinced it was her heart,, as her body collected so much fluid within that week, and then she passed,and i was crushed to lose her at 14.. oh well, I still miss her a lot,

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Deb & Wink

Tests at +3, +6 and +9 would be fantastic!

Maybe start the dose increase to 1.25U in the AM, when you are there to monitor. Logan has been running pretty high lately. Which is why you want to increase the dose. A 1+ and a 1F (fat dose) are the same really.

All our cats and other pets (and people) hold a special place in our hearts. Maybe we can only hold them in our memories now, but the bonds we formed with them last forever.

9. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink 1st bg for today+3 is 212 so far. at +6 bg is 104 and at +9 bg is 337 The 1.25 would have to start tomarrow nite,, as we are going skiing tomarrow,, and I wouldnt be back till about 330PM..oh well, then I will be available the entire weekend to monitor him,,.,.Yes we hold a special spot for our favorite ones,, forever,,

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink ok these r the stats I was able to get today.. amps this AM is on my ss.. 1st bg for today+3 is 212 so far. at +6 bg is 104and at +9 bg is 337

Deb & Wink likes this.
  11. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink after skiing yesterday (which was wonderful!.) Feb 12 fri. amps (652am). 1.0+ PMPS 467 at(641pm). at 1259AM +5 bg116.fed 1/2 teaspoon of wet, at(206am)+7 bg181. This AM feb 13th Logans AMPS were 467 at (641AM). its official 1.25 units this AM....

Attached Files:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  12. Deb & Wink

Hope Logan does better with this dose increase.
    Good shot of the 1.25U dose in the syringe!

p.s. I would have thought your ski googles would have helped to keep your mask in place. I'm resorting to paper tape, to keep my glasses from fogging up when I go out. My glasses or sunglasses alone aren't enough. Tape needs to get peeled off S-L-O-W-L-Y once I get back home and have washed my hands.

13. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink Ha Hah ha!! Do u ski?? or just cross country?? i hate it when glasses fog up cuzz of mask...! but it is what it is.. I just came back from a class regarding Animal evacuations am gonna be a volunteer.. just measured logan at +8 his BG 194!.. also thought i'd send u the picture of they syringe just to make sure we are on the same page... I suspect Logan was even lower today... i think his nidar is around +5 or +6..

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  14. Deb & Wink

He might have been lower. No way to tell for sure.

I used to cross country until the arthritis in my knees got too bad. Never did downhill skiing.

15. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink can you take Glucosamine.??? like maybe 2000... my knees are crunchy and i tell yah it really helps.. a lot

Deb & Wink likes this.
  16. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Shelly & jess @Deb & Wink @JanetNJ stalling for amps this AM tested at 656AM(+13?) bg123.. then again at 716AM hes 129. everyone is hungry (all 8 kitties,,) no food as of yet for logan. now at 735am bg118.. should i give a lesser dose like 1.0? gave him 1.u.. i will be around today to monitor,

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  17. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Just seeing this (tag not quite right :() - this is really low for Logan. I'd do more of token dose in this instance. He's been flat through the hour stall. When shooting this low for the first time you should work your way up with the doses to test the waters, I'd do 0.5u or no more than 0.75u if you can monitor and steer if needed.

AM cycle 02/02 he dropped 100 points on 1.0u with steering.

Deb & Wink and Logan & Sandy like this.
  18. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Shelley & Jess shoot.. just saw this..I didn't give him any food during those 4 tests...but after the 4th i fed him good. I gave him 1.unit at 806am +13!! so i will need to test what an hour after then another hour after etc?? thxx for responding Shelley. PS happy Valentines Day!

Deb & Wink and Shelley & Jess like this.
  19. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

I'd start with +1 and +2 and go from there. I'll be popping in and out today.

20. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

21. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Sorry just seeing this. 1 might be too much but we will see. It might go up. Just keep a careful eye.

22. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Shelley & Jess @Deb & Wink Just tested him at +2 (1010am) he's dropped down to bg78. I fed him 1 tablespoon of mcarb. wet. is there anything else I should do?? I figure I should test again when?? in an hour??

Deb & Wink likes this.
  23. JanetNJ

Yes an hour. You have high carb and syrup?

24. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

25. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Shelley & Jess @Deb & Wink this is what i gave him this AM at +13. tried uploading picture of syringe.. but couldnt make it happen

26. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Shelley & Jess @Deb & Wink @JanetNJ at (1108am)+3 he dropped 10 more pts to bg68. fed him 2 tblspoons of med wet food. I plan to test him again.. not sure if I should do in at 1208 +4 or sooner..??

27. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Do a +3.5 see what the MC does.

28. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Shelley & Jess @Deb & Wink @JanetNJ. at 1141AM +3.5 his bg is 85... didn't carb him up. not sure if i should??

29. JanetNJ

You’re doinga good job of steering

30. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

I agree! Excellent job steering!

@Logan & Sandy can I get you to do one thing please - take the comment out of your +1 and back all your numbers up...right now it looks like we're later in the cycle than we really are.

Thanks!

31. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Shelley & Jess @Deb & Wink @JanetNJ thx you guys.. so by not giving him a ton of mc wet food was good then.. he SEEMS ok.. for them moment.. i just don't get it.. at 1.unit he stayed pretty high.. now that he had like 2 doses of 1.25 units he almost went hypo.. so now what? for PMPS.. 1 unit or 1.25 units if he gets high at 2 or??? not sure.

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  32. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

He "earned" a dose reduction today. Sometimes that's all it takes, a little increase to kick start things again.

To clarify what I meant above, BG readings should always be recorded on the spreadsheet in the actual amount of time after the insulin was shot. So your 132 should be recorded under the +1 column and so on.
    Like when you stalled and your 118 became your +13, or 13 hours after insulin was shot.

33. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

34. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Shelley & Jess @Deb & Wink @JanetNJ thx for that explanation..that helps.. so regarding the dose reduction i should keep him at 1.0 now.- for pmps tonite??.he was just recently raised 2 1.25 the last 2 cycles.

35. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Let's see where he's at at PMPS and give Deb a chance to review all the excitement today. :)

If high enough to shoot and without stalling, yes back down to 1.0u.

36. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Shelley & Jess @Deb & Wink @JanetNJ this This is the syringe he recieved this AM for amps & these are some of my children right now..(including Logan) I will wait to see for what PMPS say. Most likely tonite i will have to shoot at8PM tonite.Not sure how much to shoot.. 1 Unit again>?? Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 8.19.55 AM.png spooning.jpg

37. Deb & Wink

Exactly.

So back down to the 1U dose for Logan.
    Yes, back down to 1U.

If he's really low at PMPS, then I'd reduce the dose a bit more than that. Maybe only 0.75U.

Just getting caught up on all the excitement.
    p.s. Nice pictures of some of your fur children. Logan is the second one back from the front of the picture? Saying "Let me get back to my nap mom!"

You did good on keeping his BG levels up with the MC food. Splendid job!

Shelley & Jess and Logan & Sandy like this.
  38. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Shelley & Jess @Deb & Wink @JanetNJ at(316)+8 bg213. so He's finally above 150bg.. thankyoU everyone thats responded today to help Mr. Logan.. So if he stays around the 213 mark then 1 full unit and if hes' low go down to .75.. would low be considered below 150bg??-or lower for him to get the .75?? Also cuzz I stalled an hour, should i shoot around the same time as this AM.. which is one hour later at 8pm or go for the usual time i shoot in the PM which is 7-715pM?? as far as the picturess 1 cat closest to viewer is Logans brother Rocky, then Logan, the the gray kitty is Bunny, logans sister, thenthe stripped gray is Joseph, and the tux is Charlie (showing all black in this photo..) still missing a few others not in the photo! thx for saying i did good on keeping him up w/the BG.. was kinda panicking.. and had wondered if i really should have carbed him up more..but thought that if i didn't then i would have to test him more.. which is what i decided to do... arghh.. is it time for a beer yet?? LOL..

Shelley & Jess and Deb & Wink like this.
  39. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

for all you lovers out there, happy Valentines Day!

40. Deb & Wink

I'd shoot closer to his regular shot time, say move it back 30 minutes from what your shot time was this morning. So 7:30 or so?
    Low would be a pre-shot less than 150 right now. Doubt he will be that low, after his bounce and lows today.
    I'm betting on "stinky pinks" or "in the red zone" for PMPS tonight 2/14/21.

Beer, glass of wine, a few chocolates. Time for dinner too.

You have lots of cats there to love and take care of.

41. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink @Shelley & Jess @JanetNJ yes moving it to 730PM for the PMPS would work as this AM for the AMPS he was around 806am.. generally i have shot AM and PMs around 7-715. yes I doubt he will be super low..so maybe he was "stuck" till we raised him to 1.25.. certainly didn't last long..(2 cycles) thx again for responding.. PS at +9 bg231!!! :)

yes lottsa cats plus 1 big dog/high maintenance, and a little one.. sometimes it gets overwhelming.. esp. now that i have a diabetic.. and one senior cat thats like 20 yrs old and screams alot when and if his belly doesn't stay full most of the time, plus i think he has dementia .. and another cat w/a thyroid condition. but these animals are OUR kids. enjoy your beer/chocolate and dinner!

42. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink @Shelley & Jess @JanetNJ. this AM for amps logan was 190!! was happy for that!! i was surprised, I did get up at +7 last nite to test, he was 194.. i think i missed his nidar,, i should have gotten up an hour earlier,
    Hope u guys are ok over there,, in the snow right??? here its been pouring! Most likely its snowing up at SugarBowl where we go skiing,

43. JanetNJ

Great number

44. Deb & Wink

So try a +6 tonight Sandy. You might catch that earlier nadir you think is happening. But you were planning on that already I think.

That 190 BG was very nice for a pre-shot. But now he's headed back up.:(

p.s. Just a touch of freezing rain here. More to come overnight and into tomorrow.

45. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink. today amps 190 at+3 bg253. at +6 bg 173!!!!(fed 1/2 teaspoon of wet).. i did get a plus 6 today,, will aim for a +6 tonite,, i almost think I should try and get a test like at +5 0r +5.5 since he will get his shot about 730PM tonite,.. thx for your response deb.. hey i finally read and saw wink's full profile (dont know WHY I didnt see it before..,, very sad.. u sure loved Wink,,, i get it,,certain pets are incredibly special,, Donna passed a year ago (tomarrow) feb 16 at 14 yrs,,wished that there was something i could have done to change her verdict.. but it is what it is,, u can't go back,, (sh-t) . i wished i had more time with her, , she went so fast in one weeks time.., oh well,, she was my little girl and so very very special..

46. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink this was my daughter Donna,,.. ps just did another test at +7 bg 169.. at +6 he was 173.. IF logan goes below 100 should i drop his dose to .75??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  47. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink @Shelley & Jess @JanetNJ . well at +8 today logan is now at bg144.. he seems to be going down today, this is crazy (good??),, if i have to stall tonite for the PMPS (depending what his numbers are,,) should i drop the dose again .25 to .75 for the shot? amps 190 then at +3 253, then +6 173, then +7 169,+8 144.. plz advise.. thxxxxx

48. Deb & Wink

Those pink BG's last night look like a reaction to the low greens from the morning on 2/14/21.
    Logan is looking better with his high blue BG levels later this AM cycle 2/15/21. That yellow BG at +3 today was likely a bit of a food bump.

You are doing fine by feeding only little bits of food to Logan. You don't want him to fill up too much, in case his BG numbers go really low and you need him to eat to get the numbers higher.. Really low being <50.

Yes, I would if I were you.

p.s. I was busy typing while you were looking for a response.

Anniversaries are hard and bittersweet. I know you will be remembering your cat Donna with some sadness. But I hope there will be some happy memories too.

49. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink. thx Deb,, what about if Logan is say 125?? i really don't know what his numbers will do,, but the last 4 tests hes been going down,, what would u say is the cut off for the full dose? at this pt, i don't know if i will be stalling or not,, thx,,, and yes anniversaries are very hard,, and yes i have lottsa nice memories of her,, oh well,forever in my heart,

50. Deb & Wink

You shot a 1U dose yesterday, after stalling.
    Logan did drop into the mid-level greens yesterday AM, fairly early in the cycle. And you ended up feeding him some MC food to bring those BG levels back to a safer level.

So ask yourself if you are able to do that same process tonight, if he is low, around that 125 BG.
    Do you have enough test strips?
    Do you have the ability to stay up and monitor?
    Do you have more MC food and some HC food too?

You mull all that over, and then decide on the dose.

My crystal ball might not be working, but I think he'll be pretty high at PMPS tonight.

51. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink thanks.. plenty of test strips and mc and hc wet food,, and can stay up if i need to,, at +9 his bg is 136.. fed 1/2 teaspoon of food, the last 5 tests he continues to drop,, don't get it.,,.

so if he's below 150 i bring him back up.. and maybe give him a tad below 1 unit? are my thoughts,, 3 hours till PMPS ..

Deb & Wink likes this.
  52. Deb & Wink

Most of those BG numbers in the blues are within the 15% of meter variance. So the +7, +8 and +9 were basically the same number.

Some examples for you.
    136 + 15% = 156 136 - 15% = 115
    144 + 15% = 165 144 - 15% = 122
    169 - 15% = 143

If he is below 150, you don't have to keep trying to bring the BG numbers back up.
    You can let his BG numbers drop lower than that, especially so late in the cycle.
    You should let him "surf" or stay down in the tree green BG levels as much as you can.

I'd see if Logan will stay in those lower BG ranges without any food.

The 150 BG is what we suggest for a pre-shot on deciding to give the full dose or not. Sometimes called the "shoot/no shoot" threshold.
    As you gain more experience on what Logan does with a particular dose, you can lower that pre-shot BG decision point.

p.s. Freezing rain is pelting my windows.

53. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink you are very keen! logan is now at +10 181.. as far as the +3 bg253,, LOGAN ate a TinY bit of dry food that my son Leo the cat was sposed to be eating,(he's a grazer) i was cleaning the cat box,, BRIEFLY.. a few feet away and went to the bedroom and logan was at the dish! but it was exxtremely brief,, but enough for him to spike,, i can't leave the cat dish for a second, geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez,.. usually i have to sit by the dish to guard things.. if i'm gonna let leo graze. arggggggggh, at this point i don't think i will be stalling,,, FREEzING rain pelting your window huh?? stay warm.,, make a nice fire,, thats what we do! Smile,

54. Deb & Wink

I know what that is like.:rolleyes:
    Most likely that tiny bit of dry food spiked Logan's BG at +3 today. You might want to make a note about that in the Remarks column of your SS. So when you and the rest of us look back at this, we'll have an explanation of why he spiked.

p.s. More freezing rain coming overnight and into tomorrow. I "skated" across my wooden deck, to fill the bird feeders tonight, before it got dark and the icing got too, too bad. Brought plenty of ice melt inside earlier this morning. Will have to wait to use the ice melt until after the rain stops tomorrow afternoon.

55. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink @Shelley & Jess @JanetNJPMPS (659pm) bg157.Yipppppppppppeeeee!

ok one full unit tonite. RIgHT?? feeding now.. shoot at 725ishPM.

Deb yes for the food spike.. if i don't sit and watch another cat eat if logan isn't barakaded from my room boom.. he's at it... but it was just moments to eat dry food.. i mean like moments!!! PS be careful walking across the icey deck.. no one needs to fall.. pictures always welcome~

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  56. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink @Shelley & Jess last nite Logan’s pmps was 190. I was able to get a+3 203 and a +6 205.. only 2 pts difference..(I found that weird).. and amps this am 2/16 312 and a +3 was 273.. that’s all for today.. how’s the snow over there? Did u get the bird feeders stocked ok? We have a bird feeder central in our back yard. Where we have like 5 feeders and our cats keep a watchful eye on them when they go out..there’s been a few bird casualties cuzz of our kitties...

Deb & Wink likes this.
  57. Deb & Wink

Remember meter variance Sandy. A couple of points is nothing. Glucometers for home use aren't that precise. 10-15% difference and it's still the same number.
    I see a 190 for AMPS, and a 157 for PMPS last night, 2/15/21.
    Good job on shooting that 1U dose on the lower 157 BG number.
    "Shoot low to stay low."

Indoor cats here. Too many predators around to feel safe letting my cats wander outside.

New thread please Sandy. This one is getting long. Thanks.
    p.s. Ice stayed mostly west and north of here, thankfully and we got mostly rain. Only a little bit of freezing rain on some of the tree branches this morning. Feeders stocked up fine, no slips and falls for me. Put rock salt down on my driveway today, as it's going to refreeze overnight. Have to keep my 10 feeders well supplied and toss seed out on the ground, so all the birds including the Fox Sparrow keeps coming around. Nice eastern red subspecies.

58. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink @Shelley & Jess @JanetNJ Hi Just got home.. for pmps logan is 134bg! am stalling! shall i give him less for tonite like .75 or a SKINNY 1.0?? he is very hungry.. no food been fed as of yet.

59. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink just posted new thread.. am stalling for pmps