? UTI causing bouncing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BellaBlue82, Jul 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Hi folks,

Nico recently took a trip to the vet hospital after a bad incident on Vetsulin. We switched him over to Prozinc and he seems to be doing MUCH better on that, but we also found out he has a really bad UTI. He received a Convenia injection that day as well.

I am still learning my way through testing (plus he doesn't really like it lol) but have been trying to be more consistent. One thing I've noticed, is the days he sleeps more and drinks less water, his BG shoots up. I have full spectrum urinalysis strips I got from the vet, no ketones at all but glucose and WBC are present ( both in higher that normal numbers.)

I'm wondering if he needs a course of antibiotics specifically for the UTI? His normal vet is coming today for a check up, I'm thinking I should bring it up to her.

Appreciate anyone's insight!
    Bella and Nico

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Bella , I will tag
    @JanetNJ

@Panic

I am going to ask them to also look at your SS his numbers are still high
    You are doing a good job with testing
    Sorry you got no response this morning, I assume the vet came to your house already
    Is there any way you can test him more often especially at night a few times

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Covenia rarely works for uti. You could get a culture and sensitivity test and that would tell the vet which antibiotics would work best. I think Usually clavomax is given for uti. That's what my cat Allie always got.

I'm glad you upped the dose. I'd hold a few more days to see if the uti clears.

BellaBlue82 and Panic like this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Thank you Janet

5. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Thanks Janet and Diane!

Yes, so Nico's regular vet came yesterday and said the same thing - Convenia although "convenient" is not for UTI's. He's now on Clavamox for two weeks, she said it should knock it out of him.

Poor guy's just been through the ringer past few months, and he's nothing but a big love bug. ❤️ Hopefully with the change in insulin and the antibiotics I'll see more good BG days consistently.

Bella

JanetNJ likes this.
  6. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Yes, I'm trying to get testing in when and where I can. It's hard with my work schedule, I work a very early shift and am intermittently in the office, but I do what I can. I am going to try and get more numbers though, as my vet said yesterday we will work off of my numbers for any future adjustments!

JanetNJ likes this.
  7. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Hi folks,
    Just wanted to give a quick update on Nico.

We got through the course of Clavamox... And wouldn't you know, it was the liquid type that had some sugar in it which was contributing to the higher numbers. Unfortunately Nico hates pills and I was already near the end of it's course, and it seems the pros outweighed the cons in this case.

Now his numbers are great, and we even had his first green today!! This made me feel really good, like I'm doing right by him and there is hope lol.

I just have to say this forum has been such a positive influence for Nico and I. Thank you to everyone who contributes to this community!!
    :bighug:

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

Excellent! I'd lower to 1.25 now. :)

BellaBlue82 likes this.
  9. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Thanks Janet! You don't think it's too early yet? I would hate to have him come back up, but then again I'm still learning lol.

10. JanetNJ

If you want to wait that's OK. I saw you are doing the SLGS protocol which calls for a reduction under 90... But if you wanna wait toy could.

11. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Ah ok, yes I just re-read the SLGS post. If he seems to be keeping the lower numbers upon PMPS, I will reduce his dose. :)

JanetNJ likes this.
  12. JanetNJ

Looks like a little bounce from that green.

13. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

I was thinking the same thing! Like he's not used to those numbers yet lol. AMPS did come down though, so I'll keep an eye out today to see if he goes green again and/or there's another bounce.

14. JanetNJ

Do keep an eye on it. If it goes lower than yesterday is reduce by 0.25

15. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

It looks like he went up again today... Either I missed the nadir, or he's got something else going on, possibly UTI is back. Checked ketones, still none so that's good. I'll continue to check him and see how tomorrow goes, it could still be part of the bounce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.