? Using U100 insulin with a U40 syringe

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Hilary B, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Hilary B

Hilary B Member

Hey there,
    My cat Blizzard was diagnosed last week. He was originally put on 5 units of Caninsulin twice a day. After his first shot he went hypo and it was quite scary. I now have him on what I thought was 0.5 units of Lantus. However, I was still using the U40 syringes I got from the vet. I've been using them for a few days and just read that I may have been messing with his dose?

How much have I actually been giving him if I have been giving him 0.5 units of Lantus in a U40 syringe?
    Thanks!
    Hilary

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Hilary

Welcome to FDMB! :)

My understanding is that U40 syringes have 2.5X the volume per unit as compared to U100 syringes. I think you may have been giving 1.25U of Lantus when drawing 0.5U using a U40 syringe.

But let me tag a few experienced members to confirm that.
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)
    @tiffmaxee
    @Wendy&Neko

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Hilary! Glad to see you over here from the FB group!

Yes, if you've been drawing to .5 with a U40 syringe, that's the equivalent of 1.25 of Lantus.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you have a WalMart near by, you can get the correct U100 syringes with half unit marks for $12.58/100.

You want 3/10ml, 30 or 31 gauge insulin syringes. The box will look like one of these (packaging differs from place to place)
    upload_2021-10-9_1-36-4.jpeg

They will have a purple "stripe" on the box.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Just seeing tag. Glad Chris was able to clarify this.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  6. Hilary B

Hilary B Member

Thanks everyone! I got the right needles now! No wonder my little was seeing such low numbers.

Suzanne & Darcy and tiffmaxee like this.
  7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm VERY glad. you have U100 syringes now. Could you put a note on your spreadsheet regarding using the U40 syringes and when you started using the U100 syringes?