UK - New lowest carb DRY food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Elizabeth and Bertie, Apr 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Up until now the lowest carb dry food in the UK has been Thrive (and latterly the 'chicken' Thrive) at close to 9% cals from carbs.
    But now Feringa are producing a new 'cold pressed' dry food that seems lower in carbs than the Thrive.
    This is only available from Zooplus at the moment. And it is more expensive than the Thrive. But it is available in small 400g packs, so it's not a lot of dosh to fork out if you want to try it on a kibble-loving kitty. It may also make a useful 'transition' food when transitioning from high carb dry to low carb wet.

It comes in two flavours, chicken and turkey. The chicken seems slightly lower in carbs than the turkey.
    The percentage of calories from carbs seems to be between 3.8% and 5.2% for the chicken flavour, and between 4.5% to 6% for the turkey flavour. (The moisture content - according to email from manufacturer - is between 9.5% and 11%, so I did two calculations for each flavour.)

Note: Do remember that it is important to be hometesting blood glucose on a daily basis before switching to a lower carb diet. Reducing the carb content of the diet can reduce blood glucose, and the insulin dose may need to be reduced accordingly so as to avoid hypo.

Here's the product info on Zooplus:
    https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/feringa/1033421

And here's a pic of the food:

[​IMG]

Eliz

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  2. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Interesting that you should ask that... I saw a comment on the Zooplus website this morning suggesting that the Feringa foods are extremely similar to Markus Muhle foods (which I'd never heard of before!) ... And I do wonder if they are indeed made by the same manufacturer. The ingredients are almost identical...

4. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I made a post on it a half year ago and didn't get any response. I can't see it on the UK zooplus but it's only 6 months ago it came in the DK zooplus. Would be awesome if there was more options :D

5. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

We use feringa canned food since Hercules diagnosis. Seem pretty good, but I haven't tried o_O

Thanks for the info Eliz. i did see it on zooplus, but didn't look carefully. Could be useful....

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Oh, yes indeed! :woot:

7. Hercule's mum

Eliz, while I have your attention, do you know of any other high carb food easy to find on street supermarkets besides gourmet gold with gravy?

8. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi Karen, I can't - off the top of my head - think of a higher carb food. But I will have a scout around and see what I can find.

However...meanwhile...something that some UK folks use in low number situations is a liquid treat - Webbox Lick-e-lix. It seems to be quite widely available, and is very palatable. ...There are a few Webbox Lick-e-lix treats (including some low carb 'jelly' ones), but the highest carb ones seem to be the yoghurty ones, of which the chicken and salmon seem to be the easiest available. (Just looked at the data for the chicken one and it comes out as just over 20% cals from carbs).
    It seems to be available in supermarkets such as Sainsbury's etc.

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

9. Hercule's mum

Thank you! I'll give them a try!

10. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I got the feringa dry food home today, both cats love it. So now they can get crunchy snacks :D
    And the Thrive tuna and chicken canned food, they looooove that too. :D

Hercule's mum likes this.
  11. Heather82372

Heather82372 Member

How does Wellness Core compare?
    Guaranteed Analysis -
    Crude Protein Not Less Than 45%
    Crude Fat Not Less Than 18%
    Crude Fiber Not More Than 3%
    Moisture Not More Than 10%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.