Trying to make it through the weekend on Vetsulin

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Amanda Wenger, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Amanda Wenger

Amanda Wenger Member

I could use some advice from on my newly adopted sugar kitty Lila. On Vetsulin recovering from DKA last month. I’m just trying to get her through the weekend to her vet appointment so we can transition her to glargine. She’s been pre shot in the 300s but threw a 479 tonight. Her nadir at +4 has been in the low 100s but is currently 379 on Relion Prime, retested at 403 on Relion and 332 on Alphatrak. She’s eating, drinking, and acting normally. Ketones are none/trace and she’s not showing physical signs of DKA - hungry and normal activity level. Is there anything I can do or just wait until +12 to shoot again?

Limited info on spreadsheet from vet and I just got her yesterday evening.

Thanks so much!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    Reason for edit: Ketones OK
  2. Amanda Wenger

Amanda Wenger Member

Update on Lila. After a stressful night, she is doing ok this morning. Her amps was 453. I gave her usual 1.5 units and her +3 just now was 188. I think we are back on track from whatever happened last night. Hopefully just a random blip on the radar.

3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ok good!

I would hold the 1.5U, we do not want cats on Vetsulin below 90. When you are ready to transition, go ahead and post on Lantus board for advice on starting dose.

And make sure you get U100 syringes! Vetsulin is U40, cannot use those.

As for ketones - just keep her hydrated and eating. Water down food, etc.

4. Amanda Wenger

Amanda Wenger Member

Thank you so much! That’s what my gut was saying to do. Fortunately, I am much more familiar with Lantus since my other kitty was on it.

FrostD likes this.
  5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey @Amanda Wenger! As I said on Facebook, with Lila dropping into the 60's tonight, you need to reduce her dose. We don't want them going much under 90-100.

She will probably bounce by morning. Bounces are caused when 1. they drop too low, 2. they drop too fast, 3. they drop in numbers their body isn't used to anymore (or any combination of all 3).

The liver releases stored sugars and hormones to bring the BG up quickly....they "bounce high". It can take up to 6 cycles for the bounce to clear so don't be swayed by higher numbers for a few days and think she needs more insulin.

I'd reduce her to 1.25 in the morning no matter how high her BG is

6. Amanda Wenger

Amanda Wenger Member

Ok I will do that. She definitely experienced all 3 scenarios today. And good to know it can take multiple cycles recover. Do you think it is safe for her to switch to glargine right now? The Vetsulin clearly isn't lasting her the 12 hour cycle.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, the sooner, the better!