to change diet or not to change. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mikey’sDad, Oct 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

I contacted my vet who i like about Mikey’s progress. He has been on Fancy Feast Pate which he loves. She is pleased with his progress on 2 units. He is having spikes but I one day he can go from 83 to 450.
    I thought he needed to increase his dose but she suggested to transition to Expensive prescription Purina Pro Plan as she thinks that will decrease the spikes and to not increase dose. I really don’t want to go to prescription as I have read Dr. Liza’s thoughts on this.

I don’t want her to fire me as a patient but I don’t want to spend the money on prescription and he finally loved FF.

thoughts????!??

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Tom, I'm going to tag a few members for you , first to take a look at your SS and the units you have been giving, are you able to get some more tests in during the day cycle?

With Lantus there is a dosing method you need to choose , I will post the link below so you can read it. This will tell you when you need to decrease or increased the dose.

About the prescription food there is nothing special about , Fancy Feast is fine
    Most likely Mikey won't end up liking it
    I think the Purina Pro Plan DM is around 6% carbs
    Fancy Feast Pates are lower as you can see by Dr Pierson's food chart

Tell your vet you can't afford it, if she has a few cans in her office get them and then just her Peaches won't eat it, you should be able to get your money back from her

I don't know why she thinks the prescription food will decrease the spikes

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-low-go-slow-slgs-tight-regulation-tr.210110/

@tiffmaxee

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)

@Wendy&Neko

@Chris & China (GA)

Thank you ladies

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  3. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

The vet emailed me back and is fine with Mikey staying with the Fancy Feast. Mikey ( not sure who Peaches Is) had a struggle accepting FF Pate and now he likes it, so I am not wild about a change,

Hopefully his numbers will not spike. He has been on this dose for a bit. I will check in with the Lantus forum where I usually post. But since this was a diet issue, I posted here.
    Blessings,
    Tom

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Tom --

I'm glad your vet saw the light. I had two thoughts in case this comes up again. Ask the vet for the carb count on the ProPlan. How does it compare to Fancy Feast? When my vet also suggested that I put Gabby on one of the prescription foods I pointed out that what I was feeding her was lower in carbs that the food she was suggesting. The other option is to tell the vet you'll get a can or two and try it out since it sounds like your kitty can be picky about food.(It's up to you whether your do that or not.) If they only way you can get the Rx food is by the case and the vet wants to sell you the case, make sure you have a money back guarantee if Mikey doesn't like it. And then a day or two later, let the vet know he won't eat the food. (The manufacturers do have a money back guarantee on the Rx foods.)

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Tom, I would stick with fancy feast as well. There is nothing special except prescription foods except the price.
    As Diane suggested, have a look at the two dosing methods you can follow…tight regulation or start low go slow. It is not good to hold the dose for too long if it needs increasing. The dosing methods will give you guidance on this.
    DOSING METHODS

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry I was going back and forth to another members post
    I just corrected it

Mikey’sDad likes this.
  7. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

Absolutely sticking with Fancy Feast- not draining my bank account on food that the cat hates. The vet is ok with Fancy feast. I am doing the slow method

8. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

Now I can’t get the song I Saw The Light out of my head!

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.
  9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I think you can increase the dose to 2.25 units. Try and get tests in at different times in the am cycle if you can and continue with the pm tests. If the pm test is lower than the preshot number, I would get another test in a bit later as it could drop and you want to catch those drops.
    Are you also feeding during the cycle as well as the main meals.?

10. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

I am feeding him his main meals. He eats 4 cans of FF as he is thin ( 10 pounds) and always hungry. I will attempt to get a variety of times for test. Starting 2.25 tomorrow

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Are you also feeding him snacks during the cycle? For example at say +3 +5 ?
    If he is thin and always hungry I would definitely give him extra snacks.

12. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

Oh yes! He is a hungry guy and he gets PureBites freeze dried chicken snacks. He loves them

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  13. jlyons30

jlyons30 New Member

My vet recommended the same, switching from fancy feast to the Purina DM and she's been off the juice for a month now. His reasoning was the studies used for remission were based on that food. I don't think the food was the main thing, I caught things early, the food helped and restricting feed times and amount led to weight loss and she's looking lean and great coat now too. Of course now I don't want to change anything.

Mikey’sDad likes this.
  14. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

I think you are correct about the studies. I am sticking with FF. He will start 2.25 units at PMPS today, he is a tad thin, so he needs to put on a few lbs. This is new for me as every cat I have owned was 19 to 22 lbs except this guy who is barely 10 lbs. The vet says in his case to be liberal about healthy food and freeze dried snacks

15. jlyons30

jlyons30 New Member

I will say sticking with one favor is probably your best bet, maybe help things consistency wise. Mine aren't picky as before, there's no more we had fish yesterday game play.. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.