tight regulation/ Am I doing the right thing?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Garciacat, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Macho. I’m providing your link from your last post on main. We link them for continuity and start a new post every day.
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/help-my-cat.247665/#post-2799998

You need to hold the 2.25 for 6 cycles. If the numbers remain the same you can increase tomorrow morning. If you start to see blue or green tonight post for dosing advice. Tge next dose will be 2.50.

3. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

ok. one question his bg right now came 418 i checked twice. how come?

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

He is "bouncing" from lower numbers that he isn't used to - like the blues (below 200).

Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". Usually, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).

5. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

thank you. i got so worried.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

Keep asking questions. We like that.

thebigfuzz and Bandit's Mom like this.
  7. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

he just got 288. what should i do. keep ip or increase it?

8. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

Good morning.

He just got 288 so for what i read i should increase 0.25. i just want to make sure and not screw this.

Increasing the dose:
    • Hold the dose for 3 - 5 days (6 - 10 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are less than 200 before increasing the dose by 0.25 unit.
      • if your cat is new to numbers under 200, it is recommended to hold the dose for at least 8-10 cycles before increasing.
      • when your cat starts to see nadirs under 100, hold the dose for at least 10 cycles before increasing.
    • Increase by 0.25 unit after 3 days (6 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are greater than 200, but less than 300.
    • Increase by 0.5 unit after 3 days (6 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are greater than 300.

9. Bandit's Mom

Looks like you increased? Good luck with the new dose.
    Btw, next time you get a lower number at +2 like the 189 on 6/3 (PM), do get another test to see how much lower he goes?

10. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

i increased because that's what i understood from the rule. i always recheck.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  11. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

I think what Bhooma meant, is if you see a lower value at +2 compared to preshot to continue measuring later in the cycle in order to see how low Macho is going (nadir). The example that Bhooma was mentioning was on 6/3 PM cycle Machos was 261 at preshot and 189 at +2, this is a huge drop considering that kitties most ofter nadir on Lantus at +6. I would have tested +3. The 6/4 was the beginning of a bounce caused by the lower value that Macho reached on the 6/3 PM.
    Today is a similar cycle and it seems like Macho might be clearing the bounce so be alert :)

good luck with helping Macho surf safely today :bighug:

12. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

13. Bandit's Mom

14. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

15. Bandit's Mom

16. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  17. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

Hello Everyone,

What should i expect with this protocol?. His PM numbers are high.

18. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

The +2 number is higher than his PMPS number. This usually means there will not be any steep drops this evening. If you want to be sure you can get a +4 test in to make sure he is going higher or holding steady.

19. Marina & Chico

Last time he had an active cycle on the 6/3 PM, after that he bounced for 4 cycles. He might repeat the same or shorten the nr of cycles when he bounces.
    A bunch of us on the forum keep track of the food given in the remarks section: amount, %carbs, time served. This information is valuable when you see a similar cycle because you can replicate the actions if it worked or correct it if it didn't. You can check Chico’s SS or Ruby’s SS for that but both feed raw so you won’t see the %carbs.

20. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

He eats same food (type and brand) every day.

21. Marina & Chico

What we learn to do is to manipulate curve with food, using different carb food in order to control too fast drops. Here is a link for a very nice explanation of how and why to do it.

Garciacat likes this.
  22. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

Hi, thank you for your help. can you take a pick to his spreadsheet ?. Am I doing the right thing?. Also what should i expect from now on?.

thank you in advance for your help.

23. Bandit's Mom

Since you saw greens on this dose, you hold it for 10 cycles (5 days). He is bouncing from those greens and bounces can take up to 6 cycles to clear.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  24. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

thank you. ill do that.

25. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

please anyone check his spreadsheet. what should I do now? increase it?

26. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, up to 2.75. Also, anytime you get a test that's not what you expect it to be (like that 69 the other night), it's a good idea to re-test immediately to make sure it wasn't a bad test strip.

You should also start a new thread the next time you post. In this forum, we usually start a new one every day and we use a particular format. There's more information on it in this "Making the most of your Lantus, Basaglar and Levemir Land experience" thread

27. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

Hi, i posted and no one has helped me on wether keep it or increase the dose. Should i increase his dosis?

28. tiffmaxee

Hi. I have had computer issues. Let me look at your ss. Be right back.
    good that you increased but I might have done at .50 increase. Let's see what this dose does now. I see Chris said a .25 increase so good.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  29. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

ok. thank you. i'm new so i didn't know.