Testing low (new to testing), need help with SS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Simon's human, Jul 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

We just started testing Simon last night: 132 pre shot. This morning, 172 pre shot. 3 hours after shot, 91. I'm worried since it will likely drop more. He's on 1 U ProZinc. I looked at instructions for setting up a spread sheet for Simon and freaked. I'm just not tech savvy. Could someone help? I will try to attach link to previous threads. Thanks! I mistakenly posted this thread on the spreadsheets page so am reposting.

2. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

3. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

4. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

Tagging @Chris & China (GA) as she helps a lot of people with spreadsheets.

Good job starting testing! How’s Simon doing now? Any updated test numbers?

5. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

Thanks! We will be testing again very soon which will be 6 hours.

Hshray likes this.
  6. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

7. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

Thanks for doing the link. Simon's latest test was 73 at 6 hours after shot. Wondering if we should reduce to .5 tonight.

8. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

I’m going to tag a few people who should be able to help you with dosing advice for Prozinc.
    @FrostD @JanetNJ @Deb & Wink

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

@Simon's human ....sending you a private message about your spreadsheet. Look for it in your "Inbox"

10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I would reduce your "standard dose" (the dose you would normally give) to 0.75U.

The dose you give tonight will depend on what his preshot is. When you're new, we recommend only shooting the full dose if above 200. Below that, stall without feeding and ask for help.

Do you have a hypo kit and plenty of test strips? Any history of DKA or ketones that you know of? Are you withholding food 2 hrs prior to preshot? I apologize if you've been asked all this already Im just in a time crunch and can't go back to read.

Hshray likes this.
  11. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

Yes, I have hypo items. Simon will get his preshot test about 8:45 p.m. PST. (We're in the Pacific Northwest.) What is DKA? (Sorry to be so dumb.) Vet never mentioned ketones. Yes, no food 2 hours ahead. Planning to test again in about 20 minutes which would be 8 hours after shot. He had a snack an hour ago.

12. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

102 at 8 hours post shot so he's coming back up.

13. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

132 pre shot. Try .75? Syringe is just in 1 U but can do .5 fairly easily. Could try to do .75. Shot should be in 40 minutes. This is exactly the same as it was last night pre shot, when we stuck to 1 U.

14. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

Maybe should skip shot altogether tonight. Could test later tonight and again before breakfast tomorrow to see what's going on. It has basically been low all day. Don't want to worry about him crashing at 6 or so hours which is the middle of the night.

15. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

We opted not to give shot tonight but tested at 14 hours - 169. He had had his anticipated pre-shot food over 2 hours before that. No idea how he'll be at pre-shot test in morning.

16. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

Simon is 192 pre shot today. Has not had insulin for 24 hours since we skipped last night. Give .5?

17. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

Simon had been getting 1 U.

18. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

63 at 3 hours past .5 u. I know it will go lower. At this point yesterday after 1 u it was 30 points higher.

19. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd give him a couple teaspoons of his regular low carb food and test again at +4 (4 hours after the shot)

20. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

I'm getting advice on my other thread too. Not sure how to just have one going. Just say stopping this one and look at other one? Anyway, advice was to give a little medium or high carb food, which I did. He had some of his favorite dry which he hasn't had since May which made him happy. Tested again at 2 p.m. PST which was 4.5 hours after shot. 86. So we're back to low carbs again. For the moment.

JanetNJ likes this.
  21. Simon's human

Simon's human Member

Thanks, Chris, for doing Simon's spread sheet! I really appreciate it! At 6.5 hours past shot he was 113. Had thrown up some of the dry food. We're probably offline till Thursday since we're going camping and may not have access to wi-fi but my phone should get emails, i think. As usual we're taking Simon, this time with a whole lot more equipment including fluids. Also looked up limited vet clinics in the area if needed. It's possible that we will skip again tonight, depending on testing, and reduce even more tomorrow depending on testing. Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.