? Switching to Prozinc - a couple general questions

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Panic, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hello PZI group! Panic and I finally got the okay to switch over to Prozinc!

I will be reading the Intro sticky shortly but I have a couple of questions might not be covered on there specific to my cat that I would like to get answered before her insulin arrives.

Panic is currently 5.6 lbs, she is on 4u of Vetsulin twice a day. You can see how high her SS is. She was previously on 5u of NPH twice a day with no effect before we switched to Vetsulin. Today I got approval to switch her to a longer-lasting insulin. Here are my questions!

1) How early do you feed meals before shooting? (Vetsulin must have food on board already 20-30 min prior, is it the same for Prozinc?)

2) How often do you feed throughout the day?

3) Considering she is on 4u of Vetsulin, what should her ideal starting dose be? (Vet is letting me do the first curve and said she would have the starting dose on her prescription but I know she tends to jump up multiple units at a time so I just want opinions from PZI users)

4) How much safe "wiggle" room does Prozinc have with shooting early/late?

2. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Howdy!
    1) Some will give prozinc while the cat is eating, although you can only do this if you are certain that she'll actually eat. With Jack, I always waited until he was finished eating and grooming, as that's when he tolerated it best. In fact, he didn't mind at all as long as he was finished his routine. But you don't need to wait.
    2) I feed Jack morning and night, with a little snack in between. I also leave a little extra down for grazing. How often you feed is your judgement call, but I think BG is more stable with food on board.
    3) I'm going to leave the advising up to more experienced members. I've been following Panic's story, so I am afraid to make any suggestions.
    4) I love this about prozinc! It's a little more forgiving than some other insulin. Every 12 hours is ideal, in a perfect world without hiccups. But prozinc allows for one hour early or one hour late, if need be.

Welcome to the Prozinc forum! I'll be following along to see how Panic is doing.

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hi Carolyn! Thanks so much for answering all the questions you could - I'm excited at the thought of not having to wait a whole half hour, kinda cuts down my hectic morning a bit x3 Do you feed during the night as well?

Ah that's wonderful about the one hour wiggle room! Not that we ever plan to use it, but life happens ;)

Thank you so much for everything, wouldn't it be wonderful if Panic had a happy ending like Jack <3

4. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I don't feed them during the night, but I always put down a little extra food for them to graze on for a bit. It's usually gone in an hour or so. And if it's early when they eat dinner, I'll give them a little snack right before going to bed. Their snack is really just their canned food, but a lot less than I give them at their meal times.
    It would be wonderful if Panic's story has a happy ending! Ultimately, we all want our sugar babies off the juice. But it will be so nice just to see Panic's BG numbers going down!

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Panic's mama, and welcome!

I have to be honest, I'm not really comfortable advising on the dose either. Between the meter switch and the missing data from the PM cycle (very few pre-shots and virtually no mid-cycle data), I can't tell if the current dose on vetsulin is too much or too little. And I can't compare this week's data to last week's because of the meter change. Are there any particular people who have been helping you with the vetsulin? If so, we can try to connect and see what their thoughts are.

6. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hi Djamila! Thank you!

That's okay, I totally understand! I've just got so many comments about how high an amount 4u is and the speculation that she's bouncing that I'm hesitant to see how high she should be switching... I know I can just wait to see what my vet prescribes though. @CandyH and Catcat and I have been chatting about Vetsulin but honestly she's the only one I've seen around who's active, there's just not too many cats on Vetsulin around here!

What times should I be getting readings to help fill in the gaps? Any +hours in particular? Best night reading times? Sorry about the meter change; I ran out of Relion strips and had just got my Alphatrak in the mail - trying to use up the strips before they expire soon.

@Daddy Jack's Mommy Thanks for telling me! That's good to know, I'm having a hard time getting Panic her night meals so if it's not critical that will help out haha. Lower BG numbers would make my day honestly.

7. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

If you want to feed her at night, you can always try leaving down some frozen canned food for her to munch on once it thaws. I've never done it, but some other members here do.

8. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Wish it were that simple! It's actually an issue with the feeder - tried keeping her in my room during the night with the feeder but she cries to be let out. Family doesn't want her roaming throughout the house at night but putting it outside isn't an option because ants, attracting stray animals, and no weather-proof area to keep it. :(

9. Djamila

Oh, no need to apologize about the switch! Sometimes we have to make a change, it's just the timing makes it tricky with also changing the insulin. That's just how life works out sometimes though! :bighug:

4u is a high dose, but cats need what they need, so if that's what she needs, I'm afraid to tell you to lower it because that would increase the risk of developing ketones. If that's too high of a dose though, it could be the cause of the reds and blacks. It's a bit of a puzzle at this point. I wish I could have seen her progression from her starting dose on up.

Were you testing from the beginning? Or did you just start recently (and don't feel badly if it's recent!).

I will tell you to please not listen to your vet if s/he suggests starting at 1u. I think going back that far would be a bad idea.

10. Djamila

Oh hang on....I just saw your message come through. Is Panic an outdoor cat that wanders during the night?

11. Djamila

And also, is she still on steroids? If so, for what?

12. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

read, read, read the yellow stickies, the "intro to PZI" -- I'm so happy you will be starting here, obviously Vetsulin wasn't lasting long enough, was giving you a roller coaster ride

I'm a lousy person to talk about dose, I can't even figure out my own -- since I don't remember your earlier days, hard to comment on dose you were on recently, gut feeling is that it was too high, but possibly that's only because I am shooting 1/4 of what you have been -- don't take words as gospel, more like tabloid at supermarket

I have a feeling you are going to get a lot of help over here :bighug::bighug::bighug::joyful:

Panic likes this.
  13. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

That makes me feel better, thank you! What I have on the SS is all the testing I've done, I only got the courage to start testing a couple weeks ago. The only thing missing from the SS is her curves from when she was on NPH.

She is no longer on steroids, long story short I was using a traveling vet to help treat her flea allergy, he never told me not to use it for too long and I didn't ask or realize it was a steroid so personally I suspect her being off and on that for years had something to do with it.

Yes, she sleeps outside at night! She doesn't go far however, she sticks by the door in hopes I'll tell her to come in for food xD Does that help any?

14. Djamila

So being off steroids is good. How is her flea allergy though? Is she doing okay?

Being out at night is less good. Cats have an uncanny ability to sneak off and find kibble on someone's back porch. That may be a factor as we go forward. If her numbers don't start to budge, I would wonder if she isn't getting into some high carb food while she's out there. Even just a couple of pieces can have a huge impact.

Has the Prozinc arrived yet? I think my hunch at this point might be to start close to your current dose, but don't start until you're going to have a couple of days at home to monitor. Any mid-cycle (between +4 and +7) tests you can get between now and getting the prozinc will be helpful. I want to see if there are any lower numbers hiding in between those high PS numbers that might indicate the insulin response or possible bouncing.

As far as your earlier question about testing. You want to get a PS test before every shot (you've done a great job the past few days!). Then for the PM cycle, how many hours are there between giving the shot and your usual bedtime? You want to get a test as late into the PM cycle as you can, without making yourself stay up and get sleep deprived. So you take a test right before you turn off the light to go to sleep. If you shoot right at bedtime, we can talk about other options.

15. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Yes, she's done with steroids forever, I'm not allowing it anymore. Her flea allergy is under control, she is on a flea pill year-round that has really cleared her skin up. On all the past flea meds I've tried she still ended up with bumps under her chin and base of her tail, but I haven't felt any in over a year now.

That makes sense. My grandparents beside us are the only ones on our road who own cats, and they don't feed theirs outside ever. I have a multi-cat household so the other cats do get some dry food, I'm pretty vigorous about making sure it's all cleaned up before she goes back out but I wouldn't say I don't miss pieces that fall between the porch boards. I will see what I can do about that! She has been snubbing her nose to dry for quite a while now at least.

I just ordered it yesterday and the vet is supposed to approve the prescription today, so it probably won't be in until Monday maybe? Luckily I am off today and tomorrow so I will try to get those +4 and +7 numbers in!

The PMPS test I do around 9PM, shot at 9:30PM. I usually can't keep my eyes open pass 11:00-12:30 so I go to bed somewhere between then.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  16. Djamila

Our sneaky thieves are not above eating dog food if any of your neighbors might have a dog with an outside food bowl. Sugar cats are like carb magnets. Or maybe from under the porch like you suggested. It's like they have magical radar. Although if she's snubbing her nose at the kibble around her, that is a good sign that it may not be that at all.

As for the tests, since you won't have to wait 30 minutes, you could shoot closer to 9pm, and then it sounds like most nights you could get a +2, and sometimes as late as a +3. Honestly anything you can get during that cycle is helpful. The other way to look at it is you could grab a test as soon as you wake up, so maybe around +9 or +10 depending on when you wake up. That can help too. The PM cycle is hard for all of us. Sleep is important too!

I don't know how much your vet charges, but Chewy sells Prozinc for around $115 which is much less than my vet sells it. Just in case you also might have an expensive vet.

Glad to hear the flea allergy is so much better! That's great that you were able to find a better treatment. :)

17. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I have a little wiener dog whose food she WILL try to get into, but it's rarely left out because I'm onto her and her sneaky ways! She is afraid of all the other dogs around though so she won't go near any of their bowls.

I will try and get some of those later night tests in like you suggested! I did manage to get her a +4 and +7 today, they're not great numbers though. :/ Red and black all day.

Oh yes, I did order from Chewy actually! :D I poked around to see where most of the FD members get theirs. My vet only sells Vetsulin I think, so I was able to get her to approve that prescription today. How much does your vet sell it for, out of curiosity?

Yes indeed! A few weeks ago during a curve the vet let me know they found a tick on her (yikes! how did I miss that) and asked if she was on a tick prevention and I said no. They wanted to put her on Revelation Plus which was flea + tick preventative but it looks like a topical medication and they just don't keep the fleas off her like the oral medication does so I've been stalling about getting it. :/ I'd hate to start all over with her flea problems >.<

18. Djamila

$170. Can you believe it?!?! Thank Bastet that Chewy started selling it!

Ugh about the tick. That's quite a dilemma. Ticks are so dangerous, but I completely understand wanting to avoid the flea issue. Were the topicals you used before prescription strength, or over the counter?

19. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

$170!! What a mark-up! Uh yeah I'm awfully glad Chewy sells it now LOL.

Oh shoot I'm trying to remember the ones I tried...I definitely tried Hartz (the cheap $5 kind from the grocery store, it was all I could afford at the time so I tried!), and Frontline, which works a few days and then it must have wiped off since it's topical. Maybe a couple others but I can't remember. I should poke around and see if there's a separate tick prevention perhaps that I could use WITH the flea pill.

20. Djamila

From what I've read, there is a big difference between the prescription and over the counter versions (both in price and in effectiveness). So if you haven't tried the prescription, it may be worth giving it a go. Too bad the pill doesn't cover both!

You could also post out on the main forum and ask about flea/tick control. I don't have much experience with fleas (thankfully) and have only ever used Revolution so I can't speak to all of the different options out there.

21. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I would hope so haha, the flea pill I use for her and my dog are about $80. Good idea, I'll see if anyone else has suggestions! Revolution Plus is actually what she recommended to me.

Also oops back on track, I managed to get a +2.5 last night, wasn't great but she was lower this morning AMPS. I'll try to get another +4 and +7 tonight since I'm home all day!

22. Djamila

I would aim for a couple of different hours today. Maybe a +5-6ish and a +8? Moving the testing times around helps to build the most complete picture of what's going on. And great job with the +2.5 last night. Looks like she had a food spike, and doesn't onset right away. That helps steer us towards switching at about the same dose, but let's see what she does today.

Were you able to order the prozinc yesterday?

23. Galaxy (GA)

Galaxy (GA) Member

Hi Panic's mom,

- THIS IS NOT ADVICE, I am only sharing my experience -

I switched from vetsulin (caninsulin in the UK) on 15 May to prozinc, Galaxy was on 5 units of caninsulin then and the vet said start on 1.50 with the Prozinc. I was a bit overcautious and started him on 1 unit instead, following the SLGS advice on FDMB AND information gained from scientific etc articles, and raised every two cycle by fractions (as much as I could eyeball it). I do regret not having started him A LOT CLOSER TO what he was given of the caninsulin, I think today that I should have started the prozinc at at least 4 units per shot. To this day we haven't come out of the black and red ranges. I'm not trying to scare or shock you of course, but take a look at our SS, and here's hoping you guys find the right dose very quickly!

24. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Am I right in the belief that her onset times and such are only reflective to the current insulin she's using? So she may not onset right away on Vetsulin but that may be different for Prozinc? Just curious how that works. I just updated her SS, got a +4 and a +6 today.

I think so! When I went to the vet yesterday morning (for another pet, unrelated) the vet tech mentioned Chewy had contacted them that morning for the prescription so they were going to do that. I haven't got an email yet saying it's shipped. I probably won't be able to start her until this upcoming Friday, I'm at work Tues-Thur next week. :/

That is exactly why I'm asking before I start! My initial reaction was to start her at 1u but thought since she's on such a high amount now maybe I should check what others have done, so thank you SO much for sharing! Hopefully you can get Galaxy back on track too!

25. Djamila

Yes

I think starting on the weekend could be good anyway since you'll likely be around more to keep an eye on things.

26. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Update: Called Chewy.com because Prozinc still hasn't been marked as shipped. They told me my vet just yesterday approved/sent over the prescription and they'll be preparing it to be overnighted today so hopefully it'll be in tomorrow?

Panic has had a very bad numbers day, starting at AMPS all the way to now at +4 the Alphatrak is still reading HI (750+) :/

27. Djamila

I'm so sorry to hear that Panic isn't feeling well! Your note on the SS saying she isn't eating well. Good job getting that ketone test done. I would suggest that you add as much water as she'll tolerate to her food, and keep getting ketone tests anytime she uses the litter box until her appetite returns.

I would also suggest you go ahead and increase your dose again, don't wait for the new shipment. See if a little bump might help out with those numbers. And hugs to you. I know this is hard. :bighug:

28. Djamila

Oh geez! I just realized I gave dosing advice for vetsulin. I can't do that here in prozinc-land. If you post out on the Main forum, we can talk about it out there. Apologies for the oversight!

29. James Ross

James Ross New Member

Mr Midnight is starting prozinc from lantus as of today. My vet told us he is one of the most insulin resistant cats she’s ever seen, my luck.
    We started with vetsulin a year ago, then switched to lantus, now Prozinc because his numbers are just insane. All he eats is the fancy feast, and some canned tuna as a snack occasionally. Any tips aside from the above ones are appreciated!

Sara&Grrr likes this.
  30. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

No worries! I'm so ready to have her on Prozinc already haha. Her numbers were so high today I posted about them on the main health forum (link) and was actually recommended to lowering the dose which I think is a good idea, the vet definitely jumped the gun on upping her dose from 2 to 5 and back down to 4 when we introduced Vetsulin. I am trying her on 3u tonight to see how well she does (fingers crossed!).

Ooh and her appetite returned, she definitely didn't want to eat hardly at all on Sunday, even at dinnertime, but the next morning her appetite returned and it's been better since!

31. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Hi James, and welcome! I’m going to start a new thread for you (taking a liberty — I hope you don’t mind!) so that we can get eyes on your specific questions. Around here, we like to keep one thread focused on one cat since they can be confusing enough all on their own! :)

Djamila likes this.
  32. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Prozinc finally arrived - vet has prescribed 2u twice a day. Does this sound like a safe number to start with considering the info I have on Panic?

Quick run-down of yesterday and today:
    Yesterday, 4u as usual, went up and stayed in the 750s all day. Health forum recommended lowering dose to 3u.
    Lowered last night to 3u, numbers dropped down to 420 by +4
    Today's AMPS was 384, then 3u dose given. +2 number was 394.
    Today's PMPS was 600+

I can actually start her on Prozinc tomorrow - I'll be home all day and Friday to monitor. ^-^

33. Djamila

@MrWorfMen's Mom - Linda, what do you think about the starting dose? I wasn't seeing much in the data to indicate that 4u was too much, but since I'm not familiar with vetsulin, I'm not confident that I know how to read that data. I saw your recommendation to decrease to 3u.

Normally we say to come over to prozinc at the same dose the cat was on, but since we aren't sure about the appropriateness of that dose, I'm not sure what to say at this point.

I'm far more afraid of ketones than I am of hypos, so I hate to lower the dose on a cat in high numbers, and 2u sounds like a dangerous reduction. What do you think though?

34. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I agree this is a bit of a puzzle. I suggested dropping the Vetsulin dose down to 3u from 4u to see if numbers improved at all given all those black readings that are indeed worrying. My suggestion was based on a number of things.
    • It looks like doses have been increased in full units so I had to wonder if the "best dose" had been bypassed.
    • A lower dose of 2u (albeit cat didn't eat as much that day) on the 9th may have been instrumental in lower BG. When dose was increased again, BG went back up.
    • On the 4th, despite a lovely start in yellow and Vetsulin's propensity to drop BG hard and fast, BG increased at +3 by 440 points (peak action for some cats and at least start of action for most). This phenomenon of higher BG when BG should be starting to drop has repeated a number of times since albeit not quite as dramatically.....most puzzling suggesting dose might be too high.
    • If the steroids have now totally cleared Panic's body and he pancreas in healing that too could mean less insulin is needed.
    • No history of DKA, Panic is being tested and has been negative up till now made me a little more comfortable suggesting trying a reduction.

I was pleased to see that numbers actually dropped last night on the reduction to 3u and gave Panic a pink pre-shot for a change. Not sure why the 600+ again tonight but suspect bounce from lower numbers. I think we could be looking at some glucose toxicity (4u dose held a long time), body defences fighting too much insulin as well as bouncing when BG does drop off even a bit.

Given monitoring can be done all day tomorrow and Friday, my best guess would be start ProZinc at 3u. I agree it's a bit scary to drop it too much with all those blacks in the picture but it strikes me odd that if this is steroid induced that the cat would need 5 units of insulin over such a short period of time and I'm not sure the dose isn't going to need to be reduced further. It's always harder backtracking that just raising gradually.

Djamila likes this.
  35. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I feel I need to clarify this in case I am spreading false suspicions, but I added the "possibly steroid-induced" bit to my signature when she was first diagnosed and it was something I thought might have been the cause because she had been on and off steroids for a LONG time, and the fact that she's just not overweight. She has not had steroids in her system for at LEAST a year, possibly two. I personally do not know if FD can be steroid-induced after such a long time off of steroids. I may need to remove it from my signature if my original suspicion is incorrect. I don't wish to make things more complicated than what they are.

I'd be happy to start at 3u tomorrow morning and see what numbers she throws and share here to hopefully get everyone's insight on how she does. Curious, how will I know when a reduction or increase is needed? Do I stick with the 3u for a few cycles no matter the numbers? If she bounces tomorrow does that mean auto-reduction? There's so many variables that can happen I don't know how anyone can make heads or tails of it!

Edit: I try to make sure I mention this enough, but thank you both for taking the time to read Panic's SS and offer advice to help her get better. It really means a lot to me that you're helping her <3

36. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok not to worry. While that was a consideration it certainly wasn't the only one nor was it primary. What dose did the vet start Panic on in March and how were the dose increases done/how frequently and based on what data/reasoning?

37. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I just wanted to make sure that wasn't some "critical information" thing since nothing was set in stone, just a suspicious cat owner looking for something to blame the FD on!

Um April 8th was her first insulin injection, she actually started on NPH. I'll condense it but if you need specifics just let me know!

April 8th - 0.5u NPH - AMPS 459 / 504 / 520 / 430 / 449
    (sent home on 1u)

April 15th - 2u NPH - AMPS 556 / 662 / 608 / 640 / 617
    (sent home on 4u)

April 30th - 5u NPH - AMPS 348 / 528 / 638 / 630 / 523
    (vet recommended switching to 5u 3x daily, I requested different insulin instead, sent home on 5u)

The rest of the information I have, which is Vetsulin introduction onward, is in her SS.

38. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

As far as reasoning, I think my vet was really just trying to see some low numbers for once. I daresay I don't think my vet had too much experience with cats...when I asked about possible remission when she was first diagnosed and I was researching FD she said it was next to impossible and that in all her years as a vet she's only ever had one cat hit remission. She also at first wouldn't feed Panic the FF I brought to her curve and said she wouldn't get regulated on it, only Purina DM (specifically dry) and only after I showed her Dr. Pierson's catinfo chart did she take a step back and really do some research about FD, which I greatly appreciated.

39. MrWorfMen's Mom

OMG! WOW! Ok now I am even more convinced the 4u was too much and 3u might still be too high.
    No small wonder when she doubles doses like that.....from 2 to 4units in one increase. And to even consider 5u 3 times a day with those inverted curves would have been disastrous IMHO.
    Cats at the vet are a recipe for elevated numbers. Too much insulin can look just like too little which all too often leads to the vet prescribing more and more insulin with no results other than continuing high BG and sometimes worsening BG.
    Vets don't get a lot of training in diabetes and what they do get covers numerous species. Then of course they don't necessarily have that many feline diabetics in their practice and if they have dogs, they often try to treat felines the same way which just doesn't work. Vet may be fine for everything else but this is a hands on type of situation and too many vets seem to think they can control things properly with in office curves and it backfires.

40. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

*nods* I certainly don't fault my vet for anything, vets have to be general doctors for everything that walks into their clinic, they certainly don't have time to be specialists in everything. I know for sure she has a diabetic dog patient but I kinda got the vibe that Panic is her only feline right now (it's a rather small clinic in the middle of no where). In fact it was only when the little ah...polite argument over the Fancy Feast ensued that we started getting somewhere. She had me send her the "chart I got my information from" and said she would read over it during the day. When I went in to pick her up at the end of the day the vet came in with a pile of papers and a laptop with the cat info chart pulled up. She said she was on the phone all day with other veterinarians and nutritionists asking about food and she admitted to me she had "learned a lot". So FF was in the clear and it was THEN she told me after doing more research it seemed like Lantus and Prozinc were better options for cats (indicating maybe she didn't know that already?).

OH! And another thing, all of those curves done on NPH were with Purina DM dry or Savory Selects. The first curve done with Fancy Feast was when she was on 5u Vetsulin. I had dropped off Fancy Feast with her for that first Vetsulin curve but she used Savory Selects instead.

Do you still stand by the 3u starting dose for tomorrow?

41. MrWorfMen's Mom

HMMMMM! I'm not sure what to tell you. Purina DM dry and Savory Selects are extremely high carb so that food change alone would mean less insulin required and with no ketones/DKA I now wonder if dropping back to 2u might be the best move. I'd really like to have Djamilla see all this extra info and provide her opinion on this as she has a lot more experience with ProZinc than I do. She often is online in the mornings so let's see what she thinks.
    @Djamila your thoughts?

Panic likes this.
  42. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I hesitantly started her on 2u this morning since we weren't sure. I'll try to record the food she ate at what time too. AMPS was 524 on ReliOn Prime.

Djamila likes this.
  43. MrWorfMen's Mom

Sounds good. Make sure to keep testing Panic for ketones while you try to establish a good dose given how high her numbers are right now. I'd grab a test at +3 and see what she is doing (staying flat, dropping or up). Her nadir (lowest point in cycle) with ProZinc will likely fall within the +4 to +7 post shot period and while pre-shot tests tell you it's safe to give insulin, we need to know how low the dose is pushing BG so depending on what she does at +3, you can decide when to test next. I'm thinking probably about +5 unless she is dropping a lot.

Djamila and Panic like this.
  44. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I was going to try to do every 2 hours - I could test her now (at +1) and do the +3, +5, and +7 if that sounds like a good plan. :)
    I'll see if I can catch her peeing today and test too~

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  45. MrWorfMen's Mom

Every 2 hours would be fine but might be a bit of overkill for the first day. I'd skip the +1 as there is food influence there so I doubt you'll see much if any change and BG might even be a tad higher. I like the +3,5,7 idea but if there is a large drop (100 point or more) at +3 then I'd grab a +4 to see if she has slowed down or is continuing to drop quickly.

46. Djamila

I agree that a curve on the first day probably isn't worth it. Although I'd get a couple of tests just to see. I think since there is so much unknown here, 2u is a good dose to start on. Although please keep testing for ketones, add as much extra water as Panic will allow to the food, and if she goes off her food, head straight to the vet for a blood ketone test.

We'll need to give her a few days to get used to the new insulin before we do much, but let's stay vigilant and get moving with those increases if we don't see some action. Hopefully though, the entire problem has been overdosing and we'll see some better numbers soon!

Panic and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  47. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Oops just got a +1 right before seeing this - not that it hurts. +1 was 490, just a bit lower than AMPS.

Sounds good, thanks! ^-^

48. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok. All data is good data and nice to know she has come down a bit. Anxious to see how today goes! :)

49. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Really? I would have thought it'd be important to know what's happening the whole time during the first introduction, could you explain why otherwise?
    Also I meant to ask, what is the purpose of warm water added to their food concerning ketones?

I thought I was about to get a ketone test in but she ended up trying to pass stool...she was only able to get out one small firm piece. She's been drinking a good amount of water though.

50. MrWorfMen's Mom

Dehydration plays into the development of ketones so keeping kitty well hydrated helps to keep ketones at bay and if they develop at all, helps to flush them out of the system. Any chance she is constipated? That can raise BG. You could try adding some plain pumpkin (not pie filling) to her food to add more fibre along with adding water to her food. I also find leaving extra water bowls around away from food promotes more water intake.

It will take a few days for Panic to get used to the new insulin and right now the dose is still a big question. Once a better dose is established and you start to see some positive results, then a curve will be more enlightening. Personally though, I have never found curves nearly so helpful as daily random spot checks because kitty could be having a bad or good day.....bouncing or coming out of a bounce for instance making the results sometimes misleading. BG is not the same everyday.......it's the longer term picture that is most telling. Curves do however help a lot when you can't always get mid cycle testing done.:)

51. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Good to know, thanks for explaining it to me. :) She did struggle a bit pushing it out, she got fed up when it got stuck in her long hair and just pulled it out herself lol. Is the pumpkin something you can add regularly and it won't affect BG levels? She's pretty good about her water intake and almost always has really good bowel movements.

Gotcha. So actually instead of introducing an insulin/dosage and just basing it off a curve (like what a vet does), a cat should start on one dosage and keep it there at least a few days with spot checks and then determine whether to increase/decrease/maintain?

Ooh, Linda, since I noticed in your signature - I keep seeing the term civvie around but can't figure out what that means XD

52. MrWorfMen's Mom

Plain pumpkin won't affect BG adversely and if it solves a GI issue, it could help improve BG. Just make sure it's plain pumpkin...there is sugar in the pie filling pumpkin and our kitties are already extra sweet.

You got it. A curve done in the vet's office comes with another issue. Most cats get stressed out at the vet causing elevated BG. The vet sees those higher numbers and assumes kitty needs more insulin. There is no way to determine how much of the BG at the vet is the result of stress and how much is what is really occurring day to day under normal circumstances at home.

Civvies are our non-diabetic kitties! :D

53. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Ah good! I'll see if I can snag a can of plain pumpkin to keep on-hand then. :D

That makes total sense. Not to mention how there always seems to be one or two barking patients that are at the vet for the day >.<

I wondering if that was it!! Haha at first I was like "what breed is this that EVERYONE seems to have" LOL.

+3 was 295 - she dropped 200 points! I should check at +4 then to see if she's still dropping?

54. MrWorfMen's Mom

Just checked SS (was typing as you posted:)) and liking what I see. FINALLY a cycle that is looking more normal with BG heading down instead of up. That's quite the drop between pre-shot and +3. Might want to grab a +4 just to be on the safe side. You could give Panic a little snack to see if that slows her down a bit. Large drops like that often cause a bounce so numbers may go high again later but that's a normal phenomenon you just have to ride out.

55. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I have to admit I'm a little giddy. I agree, I won't be disappointed if it goes up after this due to a bounce - just happy to see a decrease for once! I made her a little "stew" just now with some water and her FF and she seemed to enjoy it.

56. MrWorfMen's Mom

Give Panic some scritches and tell her to keep up the good work! :D

Panic likes this.
  57. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

+4 tested at 197! Even more dropping! 0: I gave her some more food to help. When should I test next?

58. MrWorfMen's Mom

That was a good idea to offer her some more food. Another 100 points down so I'd test at +5. We need to figure out when her nadir is and it might not have happened yet so a little closer tracking today is prudent to keep her safe.

Panic likes this.
  59. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

+5 she is at 230. ^-^ Does this mean her nadir is around +4? Should I test any more today aside from PMPS?

60. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

@Djamila what is the minimum amount of food that MUST be taken with ProZinc? Someone on the main health forum said they thought it was a full tablespoon but she wasn't sure and to double check. I can't seem to find info on minimum food consumption unless I'm just largely overlooking it somewhere.

61. MrWorfMen's Mom

It looks like she is on her way up now and that may mean she's past nadir or that a bounce from the lower number is starting. That was a huge drop today and too many factors to know for sure when nadir will normally be for Panic on ProZinc.

As far as eating, I think if panic eats at least half of her regular portion of food, you should be fine. I don't think anyone can tell you # of tbsp. because every cat's calorie needs are different. You need to know she has eaten, and will eat. Djamila may have a different opinion.

I'd grab one more test around +7 or +8 just to gather some more data. All data is helpful, then give Panic and you a rest.

62. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Okay, so spot checking around between +4 and +7 will paint a better picture for when her nadir really is?

The reason I wonder about minimum food requirement is Panic is not naturally a big eater. Right now she could eat an entire 3oz can of FF for breakfast - just a couple weeks ago she would polish off two 3oz cans if I let her. Out of all my cats though, Panic has never been one to finish a meal - just 3 or 4 bites and she's done until later - so I worry about how hard it might be getting her to eat "enough" when she gets to feeling better.

Will do! Thank you so much for watching Panic with me today ^-^

63. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes spot checks in the mid part of the cycle will help you determine when nadir usually occurs. It can wobble around with some cats and in others, you could practically set your watch by them. Nadir time can also change over time even in the most predictable cat so concentrating on when peak action generally occurs is very helpful. Grabbing tests before and after that time frame is also helpful periodically or if you are unable to test in that mid cycle. All data helps.
    Panic sounds she's usually a grazer so you may have to settle for knowing that she WILL eat and just leave the food out for her so she can eat if and when she feels the need. If BG starts dropping, they will eat unless there is something else going on causing appetite issues. As long as she is eating and behaving normally for her, she will be fine.

64. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I read somewhere treating FD is like a "moving target" so that definitely sounds right haha!

You're right, she's most definitely a natural grazer. Thank you for that, that makes me feel a little better about her eating habits.

+7 was 245... I guess I'm a little surprised. Kinda expected her to bounce. o:

65. MrWorfMen's Mom

For the first day on ProZinc and that major drop in the early hours, that is an impressive number at +7 especially when compared to what her numbers have been lately. Anxious to see what her PMPS is tonight.

66. Djamila

So many things!

First of all, really great cycle! Hooray!!!! (and good call, Linda on the starting dose!)

Pumpkin: I would just add that pumpkin in moderation doesn't impact BG. It is a carb. Sam loves it, so when I started giving it to him and had read that it didn't impact BG, I just kept giving him more and more. Turns out that a lot of pumpkin can give quite the BG spike....not to mention what it did to the litter box! :eek: So, maybe use like a teaspoon of pumpkin or so. Not a whole plate! :cat: Also, I use a mini-ice cube tray to freeze the rest of the can so that I don't waste it all. Then when he needs some I just thaw it out.

Food before Prozinc: Doesn't really matter how much. The thing is to make sure that she's eating and hasn't gone off her food. The onset is typically around +2, and tends to be gentle enough that as long as they are eating, the amount isn't that important. If Sam really isn't hungry at shot time I'll give him a couple of pieces of freeze dried chicken or salmon. If he shows enthusiasm for them (which he usually does), then I know he's fine and just doesn't want a meal right this second. If he doesn't eat treats, or eats them with hesitation, I'll delay the shot until I can get some food in him (he has chronic pancreatitis so goes off his food far too often).

Nadir: yes, it moves. Sigh. If only it would always be at the same time! And I agree about curves. If you look at my spreadsheet, I could be wrong, but I think it's been years since I've done a full curve. Although I did do more of them when Sam was newer at this and was changing things up on me all the time.

If I missed something, let me know :)

I'm so excited to see some better numbers on Panic's spreadsheet:cat::bighug:!

Panic and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  67. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

PMPS was 430 ... not sure how I feel about that lol.

Yes! Overall I'm really really pleased with how she did today! Glad we went with 2u too!

Oof, good point about the pumpkin. Freezing the rest is such a good idea - I remember getting her plain pumpkin when she first got sick and wouldn't eat and the whole can just went to waste! It was a big can too XP

That is really good to know about Prozinc...wow I just love this insulin already. That also makes me feel better because my friend will be caring for her in a few months and I've been really paranoid about her potentially not wanting to eat on command. Though I guess she's always eaten at the vet's office for her curves!

I think you covered everything ... thought I had another question but it's slipped my mind after such a long day haha. Oh but okay, @Djamila how late do you feed Sam during the night? I have an auto feeder but Panic doesn't like sleeping inside at night (cries until she gets let out, ugh) and leaving the feeder outside just attracts swarms of ants. Is night feeding critical?

68. MrWorfMen's Mom

Well I can't say that 430 is totally unexpected but I'd hoped it wouldn't be that high. Hope it wasn't a fur shot but they happen and tomorrow is a new day. I'll defer to Djamila regarding the feeding at night.

69. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I think that's how I felt about it too, Linda. Time will tell I suppose. And yes, fingers crossed to a new day and an even better cycle. ^-^ I emailed my vet a graph of her curve (I must have designed a good four or five little charts to help me with recording information) and told her how pleased I was already.

70. Djamila

I don't think you'll like my answer about nighttime. I think you need to train her to stay in at night. Cats generally run lower at night than they do during the day, so being outside without food all night isn't safe. I am not at all unsympathetic to how hard that would be on all of you, but I can't in good conscience say that it's safe to let her roam with injected insulin and no food or human who could respond if she drops. My only suggestions would be to give her outdoor time during the day if that's practical and safe. Then give her a good long play session to tire her out before bed, and maybe try something soothing like rescue remedy or feliway, then put in some ear plugs? I know it would be incredibly difficult. I just don't know what else to suggest besides retraining.

You could try posting on the Main forum and asking for help/suggestions about this. Other folks with more experience with outdoor cats might have other suggestions.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  71. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I have read some people give food right before they themselves go to bed, or leave food out at night. It just doesn't work when I have ants outside from April to November every year. We just built a big new front porch and the roof is in progress. I was thinking about, once the roof is up, setting up a little "moat" to keep the ants out of her feeder and keeping it on the porch out of the elements, but for now I'll try to make her stay inside. My hands are tied a bit because the rest of my family doesn't want any cats roaming the house at night so I'll have to convince her to stay shut up in my room.

72. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

How much and how often should food be offered throughout the night (like with a feeder)? Free-feeding isn't an option, if she didn't eat it all in one sitting herself the dog would...and leaving the dog out of the room is not negotiable lol. Last time I was away and kept the cat in the room by herself the dog got so mad (it's "her" room) she tore the door frame siding off the wall.

73. MrWorfMen's Mom

Best option for the night would be an auto feeder and with the dog in the picture perhaps one that uses microchip technology so the only one it will open for is Panic. They can be pricey but also worth their weight in gold when you have multiple pets that you don't want pilfering another's food.
    How is Panic this AM?

74. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I kept her in last night (didn't get any sleep tho, sigh) and luckily the dog stayed in bed with me and didn't touch the feeder. When I just finished filling it though and stepped outside to bring Panic in by the time I got back the dog had already swiped the food from the open compartment. :mad: A microchip feeder may be a good idea ...

She was 480 this morning. I was disappointed but then I remembered she got at least a partial fur shot last night. It was super weird, I checked to make sure it was under the skin and not poking out the other side, felt her fur after and was dry. But a minute later I was petting her and it felt a little wet and smelled like insulin so. :/

75. MrWorfMen's Mom

Furshots have happened to most if not all of us and all you can do is chalk it up to "crap happens" and carry on. It might not have been as much of a furshot as you think and part of that BG this AM might be some bouncing from being in better numbers yesterday...time will tell. This sugar dance definitely requires a lot of patience.

Sounds like you need some noise cancelling ear protection. Hopefully Panic will get use to staying in at night very soon!

76. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Good point, I hadn't considered that. It's definitely a marathon.

Lol I'd rather re-teach her to use the litter box so she can be allowed to roam the house at night. All she wants to do is snooze under the kitchen table but she doesn't want to use the boxes anymore. Idk what is it, no matter where I move them she'd rather just go on the carpet. The sides are low enough for her too.

77. MrWorfMen's Mom

Well I know it's not practical, but putting a litter box near the trouble spot might help if it's a particular spot on the carpet. Also laying foil wrap on the area to deter her. Have you tried different types of litter? Perhaps something a little more like where she goes outside....softer like wheat based or such? It's a conundrum to be sure.

78. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I would, but the main spot is literally in front of my parents' bedroom door and they are not happy with her. I've tried blocking the areas by setting other stuff where she tends to go but she'll just go beside whatever I lay down. Maybe I should just fill a litter box up with dirt from outside and see what she thinks.

79. MrWorfMen's Mom

Are you sure you've managed to get the smell totally out of the carpet? Even if we can't smell anything sometimes they do and it draws them back to that spot. I have a very old kitty who has accidents on my area rug periodically and it's really hard to be sure you have gotten all the smell out of the carpet even if you can't smell anything. They will re-use the same or a close spot if they smell their leavings.

80. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I have not gotten the smell 100% out yet, I know that's part of it. In fact I had purchased Nature's Miracle enzyme cleaner and had been spraying it each time but the smell lingered. Last week I read that taking off the spray cap and just POURING the cleaner into the carpet is going to do a better job, so I used the last of my cleaner on the spot in front of parents' bedroom and behind my bedroom door where she also likes to go. It definitely helped, I can barely smell it now, but it's going to need more work. Actually I was going to look into buying some in bulk but whew it's expensive.

81. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

+4 was 394 today. I'm at least happy to see it going down instead of up. c:

82. MrWorfMen's Mom

That's still almost a 100 point drop so not too bad. Yes would like to see it lower but if she is bouncing probably just as well not to have a big drop today or the bounce might be keeping the drop at bay.

Panic likes this.
  83. Djamila

I can understand your folks not wanting her inside if she's peeing on their carpet!

Cat often do that to tell us they aren't feeling well, so maybe as her numbers improve, she'll rediscover the joys of using the litter box. ;)

Is there somewhere up high in your room that you could put the feeder? On top of a desk or dresser? Just thinking that might stop the dog from getting to it, but still allow Panic to eat....? Or if she's enough smaller than the dog, maybe in the closet with the door blocked to only open enough for Panic to get through?

84. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

We actually brainstormed for a long time about that - it's a standard dachshund so she's basically the size of a cat herself, so finding somewhere only a cat could squeeze through was off the table. The other problem was Panic isn't feeling well enough to jump up on anything, else I'd just stick it on the dryer or something. I made a big deal praising Panic just yesterday because she climbed from the chair I was in to my desk!

I had considered a baby gate with maybe a teeeny hole that only a flexible cat could squeeze through but my dog is very very smart and very food driven, she'd probably either rip the gate off or damage the wall/door it's propped against. She's very destructive concerning food and "her" stuff.

I think I've found a solution though and it definitely helps the dog decided not to bother with the feeder at night. ^-^

85. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Omg I sat for a dachshund once ... They only use their intelligence for mischief! We put the cat’s food on the dining room table to keep it from him, but one day came home and found the food bowls all knocked around and licked clean like the cat would *never* do ... and yet still smack in the middle of the dining room table! The dog’s legs were only four inches long or something ... how did he get up there?!? o_O :banghead:

Djamila and Panic like this.
  86. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

YES, that is exactly how they operate Jenna!! They are ornery little things! I bet he made up his own steps out of furniture nearby to get up there!

One time my family all went on vacation and our dachshund was left on her own in the house a lot (not a good idea). My sibling had a pack of Little Debbie treats up on his top bunk...this was a HUGE bunk bed, at least six feet tall and no ladder either. That dog had gotten UP THERE and eaten them ALL and then GOT DOWN. We couldn't figure it out! Our best guess, there was a dresser nearby (not up against, but close by) and the drawers had been pulled out and we could see scratch marks on them...she must have pulled the drawers out and climbed up them and jumped over somehow, it definitely wouldn't have been easy. I can't believe she didn't break her leg or back coming back down. :eek:

PMPS was 421 for Panic!

Djamila and Jenna Josie like this.
  87. MrWorfMen's Mom

I'd hold the course for the moment. She is likely in a bounce from that blue yesterday and that can take a few cycles to clear. She hadn't seen a blue range number since the end of May so it's all new to her.

Jenna Josie likes this.
  88. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I hope you're right! I'm anxious to see what her numbers look like in a week or two. :)
    Vet just emailed me back after I sent her yesterday's results, she's really pleased as well!

89. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

AMPS was 290, +2 was 350, +5.5 was 410 and at +8 I got a possibly inaccurate ketone test of Trace. She finished peeing (on the carpet, sigh) right as I got the stick over to her and I wiped it against the carpet, so might not be accurate. Got her some pumpkin this afternoon (she's still constipated I noticed) and her food from last night went untouched...I think she didn't realize the feeder had food in it since I had it sitting there empty during the day prior. She's seemed in a really good mood though, wanting in my lap (she rarely does it anymore but pre-diagnosis she ALWAYS got in my lap the second I'd sit down), good appetite. The possible Trace test makes me nervous though.

90. MrWorfMen's Mom

Looks like that really was a fur shot this AM. It happens. How is Panic's hydration? Check her scruff but pulling it up and seeing if it returns to normal position immediately or takes some time to settle back down. Also you can check her gums to see if they are sticky or moist? encourage her to take in more fluids by adding water to her food if she will eat it that way. I take it she is eating ok when she realizes food is available?
    The possible furshots make me a little reluctant to say increase just yet but if she is still high tomorrow morning, I think an increase to 2.25u would be a good idea.

91. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

That's really frustrating. I double checked her fur just now and I think I'm clear that her PM shot was good (tested 344). Hard to see too well with all that fluff but I think her scruff snapped back just fine, gums don't feel sticky. I've been adding extra water to every meal, and yes she's got a good appetite each time.

She also feels EXTRA fluffy today, I don't know how to explain it but just feels super soft and more "full" fur-wise. I had my mom pet her and see and she was surprised and agreed, so I'm not just imagining things. I can only hope maybe that means she was feeling extra good and gave herself a proper bath or something. xD

92. MrWorfMen's Mom

Well that sounds like a pretty good overall report. Try to test for ketones again tomorrow just to keep an eye on things.

93. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I'll do my best. <3 Oh, before I forget, concerning the pumpkin should she only get about a teaspoon a day, or can she have some for both breakfast and dinner?

94. MrWorfMen's Mom

I've never used pumpkin myself because my little rascal would have none of it...refused to eat any on its own and it sullied his food in his opinion. I think the "dose" is about 1 to 2 tbsp. per day.

95. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Aww silly boy. To be fair pumpkin does smell weird so can't blame him. Thanks ^-^

96. Djamila

Yes, morning and evening should be fine. And if she's actively constipated you might go ahead and go with Linda's suggestion of a tablespoon to get things cleared out.

Are you making a tent to do the injection? I found it easier with Sam (he has very thick fur for an alley cat!) to grab a hunk of fur, and pull up and sort of roll it back a little until I could see a little line of skin. Then inject a little more up and down into the visible skin. That way I knew it was going in and not just getting tricked by his fur (which used to happen way too often!). It also avoided the in-and-out thing since the needle was more straight down (pulling up on the fur makes a gap between skin and muscle that you can inject into so you aren't hitting muscle or anything else).

97. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I gave her a bit around 4pm when I got back from the store to get her started at least, poor thing.

She really doesn't have enough "fat" for me to work with to make a tent anywhere on her body, her skin is very thin and "tight" so to speak. I do the roll method (though I stick it parallel to her body rather than up/down) but there's just so little to work with it goes right out the other side. I switched her to U100 needles since the U40s were way too big but still struggle. I always touch to make sure I can't feel it out the other side and then let go of the needle to make sure it sticks and is actually inside her skin and not just the fur. Maybe it's still going through her skin but when I check all I feel is her thick fur? It's a puzzle. I'm hoping when she gains more weight it'll be easier. Recently I was sitting with my 11 lb tomcat and pretended to pull up some fur like I was going to inject him - SO much easier than Panic. I feel like a fur shot would literally never happen, there was so much loose fur and fat to work with!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  98. Djamila

You got a blue PS?!?! Next time that happens, try stalling for about 30 minutes (without feeding), and test again. Prozinc wears off pretty fast at the end, so most of the time in a higher-number cat, a little extra time is all you need to be able to stick with the full dose.

99. Djamila

Oops. Just saw your tag and thread out on Main. Ignore post #98 ;):rolleyes::D

100. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I know!! I don't know if she's dropping just in general or if she didn't get any food last night...I fed her a heap of food right before bed around +3 and set up her feeder but all the other cats were FASCINATED with the new "food machine"...food was gone this morning but hard to say who got into it. Hopefully the sound it made spooked everyone except her. I'm going to separate her tonight and see what happens.

I'm going to TRY and see if she'll let me test before feeding her next time. I've never tried it before but she also has never had such a low PS number! :eek: