Switching from vetsulin to prozinc

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Katsallday, May 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Hooray! I'm excited to make the switch but is there anything I need to know? I'm going from 1u of vetsulin to 2u of prozinc. I have a panic disorder so I just want to know everything before I panic when he inevitably takes a nap

He is 18.8 lbs and following the manufacturers dosing 2u will be the low end of the scale of 0.1 to 0.3 u per lb of weight. The vet wanted me to start at 4 but I'm just not comfortable even though they promised me it would be fine at 4u.

2. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

He immediately took a nap. I'm trying real hard to not take his BG. Hes probably fine

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

How about a test at +3 (or, if it's past then already, a test now)? The Prozinc will have started to get working around then, and that will give you some idea of what it's going to do today, well before its maximum effects.

I'm glad you didn't shoot 4U-- that would be a big starting dose, even for a big kitty. Better to start lower and work your way up (if necessary).

Just to clarify from your spreadsheet: he was on Vetsulin until this morning's shot, right? And the dose was (mostly) 1U?

Love the avatar pic-- he's a cutie!

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

If you haven't had a chance yet, here are a couple of information-packed links from our Prozinc group:

NEW TO THE GROUP: THE PROZINC BASICS. PLEASE START HERE.
    PROZINC DOSING METHODS

There's tons of stuff in there, you don't have to absorb it all now, but just for your reference. One thing to note: there's a big emphasis on syringe type, because some of the other insulins used in cats use a different-sized syringe, and you don't want to get them confused. However, both Prozinc and Vetsulin use the same U-40 syringes, so you should be fine.

The main differences between Prozinc and the Vetsulin you've been using are: 'gentler' action, and (hopefully) longer duration for the Prozinc. Most people find it much easier to manage feline diabetes with Prozinc, it just seems to work better for fast kitty metabolisms. Hopefully that will be the case for Tuna, too!

Katsallday likes this.
  5. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

oops forgot to add that in the info, he is dosed at 3am and 3pm everyday so my am dose is technically a 3pm. it was the only way to work it out with my fiance. so his most recent dose before the prozinc today was at 3am. his +3 is coming up in 10 minutes so ill def have an update soon! was planning to do a +4 and +6 minimum so ill add the +3 too! I pushed 4u of the vetsulin before i found this forum only twice. i didnt even update the spreadsheet with that info because i felt awful about it. never again will i blindly trust a vet.

tuna is a big cutie isnt he! his sister is like a cat food model tabby so everyone oohed and awed over her instead of him when they were babies so i made it my lifes work to love on him as much as everyone else loved yadel. hes now so bonded to me he suckles on my neck :cat: my big cow cat

(GOT THE +3 AT 233)

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  6. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

HIS +4 IS 153 THE LOWEST NUMBER IVE EVER GOT I CANT BELIEVE HOW TERRIBLE VETSULIN IS COMPARED TO PROZINC THIS IS AMAZING

7. Nan & Amber (GA)

Look at him go! :cool:

Does he usually get snacks during the day? It's probably a good time for a small snack now-- just his usual low-carb stuff is fine. 153 is a great number we just want him to slow down into a glide from here :).

Katsallday likes this.
  8. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

He doesn't normally get snacks because of his weight but you guys are who I trust! I'll give him a tablespoon of dm right now I'm so excited I could cry!!!

9. Nan & Amber (GA)

How's he acting? These numbers probably feel unfamiliar to him, too. Some kitties seem to immediately feel better the first time they get back down to earth from diabetic heights, others have gotten so used to diabetes the lower numbers feel 'strange.'

10. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

He's fine! I caught the diabetes early because of routine blood work luckily last year his numbers were fine and this year they weren't he didn't go into DKA or anything. We are outside right now getting him some fresh air He's a little bit less playful than normal but he is alert and at least willing to look at his toy lol! He even jumped up on the side of the chicken coop!

What I can't believe is that his number went down this low with two units and the vet wanted him on four and told me that it was stupid to trust an internet forum. You all have saved tuna from hypo twice in one week. How can I give back to this amazing community?

11. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Here's a video of him playing right now! He perked up after the snack! https://imgur.com/a/0Hr1CGk

12. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yup, you were very smart not to shoot 4U today! I'm even wondering about the 2U, but so far he's doing great!

Tagging @Deb & Wink for some insights into Prozinc dosing. Usually, we reduce only when BG drops under 90, but since he's just starting out, I'm wondering if it will make sense to re-assess this starting dose?

Deb & Wink and Katsallday like this.
  13. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

I'd be happy to drop to one if his BG gets questionable! My fiance is seeing the sense in listening to you guys! He finally saw a good number and now is a fan! Shall I do hourly BG just in case its dropping too fast? Just a reminder, my first vet wanted 4u of vetsulin, and this current vet called that one a quack and put him on 4u of prozinc :facepalm:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  14. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Oh boy his +5 is 97 I'm getting nervous

Deb & Wink and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  15. Nan & Amber (GA)

Still a very safe number-- and another first today :D!

Two different cutoffs to keep in mind from here: below 50, it's "take action" time, where we start giving him carbs to try to bring him back up quickly. We're nowhere near that point now, but it's not a bad idea to make sure you have your supplies (a high-carb gravy food if you have it, honey/karo syrup for a quick boost) in place. It's no fun to get a surprise low and have to start running around trying to find the honey (been there... :rolleyes: ).

The other cutoff is the "reduce dose" number, which for him right now would be 90. He is getting close to that number :), so even though we're getting close to nadir time at this point, I think there's a good chance he'll hit this and earn his first reduction today. But let's wait and see what else he's got in store ;).

16. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

I'll get my hypo kit ready. I wish I recorded the vet saying they've never seen a hypo cat. I literally can't believe that they would tell me to never worry about this and I finally hit a green number!

Nan & Amber (GA) and Deb & Wink like this.
  17. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Nan is right. Tuna is likely to earn his first dose reduction today.

A green BG number isn't a hypo, but it does say "heads up, watch closely", especially when you are just starting out.
    Would not hurt to get a +6. Highly recommend that +6 in fact.

Katsallday and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  18. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

I was going to hourly monitor for sure, I have 30min until +6 and he's nibbling on his low carb food right now. I have him away from the other cats on my back patio watching him like a HAWK. I'm beyond words how disappointed I am with the vet system right now.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  19. Nan & Amber (GA)

Over the years, we've seen lots of otherwise good vets face-plant when it comes to feline diabetes. What it comes down to, usually, is that they simply don't get a lot of training in vet school on diabetes in general (half a day, I think I've heard!), and then they're far more likely to see diabetic dogs in their practice than cats. [that might go a long way towards explaining why your vet has "never seen a hypo cat", come to think of it!].

Anyway, the point is, it's a general problem, unfortunately not specific to the couple vets you've seen. It's good that the current one was willing to prescribe Prozinc; the most important thing is that you find a vet that is willing to work with you on Tuna's treatment.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  20. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

His+5.5 is 92 since we're not at nadir yet I grabbed some of my other cats normal dry food. I've fed him 6 pieces so far.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  21. Nan & Amber (GA)

OK, that's fine (and I'm sure Tuna approves, too!), but hold off on any more until we see what the +6 is? He's still well above 50, very safe.

22. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

His +6 is 94 he had about 10 pieces of dry food he snuck some without me looking

23. Nan & Amber (GA)

OK, no more dry for now (sorry, Tuna!). It seems like he's slowed down for sure, maybe get a +7 to see if he's heading up?

24. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Will do! Around this time I normally try to get him to run up and down my stairs, do you think it's safe for me to exercise him right now?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  25. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yes, I think that should be perfectly safe.

26. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Great! And I wonder how much of a reduction in dose I should be looking at? Even with dry food he only hit 94. Would 1u be too much of a dip?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  27. Nan & Amber (GA)

Well, he got to 92 before the dry (not that those numbers are very different, lol!).

We normally change in 0.25U increments and technically he hasn't (yet) earned that, but I'd support a re-set down to 1.0U or possibly 1.5U. My reasoning:

2.0U is high for a starting dose, particularly for a cat who is already on low-carb wet food. It got him into very good, safe numbers today, but it's kind of jumping into the deep end to get to these numbers right out of the gate. You were able to monitor him closely all day today, but it's hard to do that every cycle (gotta sleep sometime!). Dropping the dose down a bit should give you some breathing room to get used to Prozinc, get to know where Tuna's nadir is on this insulin, etc.

28. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

His +7 is 85 :/

29. Nan & Amber (GA)

And that's why I was cautious when I said he technically hadn't earned a reduction-- there it is!

Still a lovely, safe number, and we're now in the second half of the cycle so he should start coming up soon, but I'd keep monitoring until he actually does, to be sure. No need for more carbs right now-- the dry has a lot of staying power, it'll keep helping boost him up for a while.

30. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

My second vet told me to push the 4u and not monitor his BG. Im still in shock. I'm going to scream at the vet tomorrow. If I worked and couldn't monitor him I can't imagine how low he would have got. I'm so thankful to you and everyone here. I knew I was right to trust yall. Thank you so much, this cat, not to be rude to my other cats, is my life. He is my everything.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  31. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Tuna is looking fabulous and looks like he loves Prozinc! Nan is doing a great job looking after you and Tuna

32. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Nan has been wonderful! I would love to find a way to help the forum in return for all you do here! I know a programmer that can help some of the technical aspects here like the image upload issue! He would do it for free if anyone knows how to speak with the owner?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  33. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

He's at 119 now woo!

34. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yay, Tuna! Looks like he's on the way up now.

It's getting close to my bedtime here... Bron, are you going to be around for a while? I think Tuna's done with dramatics now, but just in case...

35. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Thank you SO MUCH. I have a panic disorder and health anxiety, you kept me level headed to get through my first green zone. Yes I will likely have a good panic tonight, but it will be after the real threat thanks to you!

36. Nan & Amber (GA)

You're very welcome, happy I could help! It really is genuinely scary to do this when you first start, but you're handling it like a pro already. Tuna is a very lucky boy!

37. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

I'm still so new at this, I want to reduce to 1u because it's easier on my u40 syringes and I really don't want to mess up the dose amount. Is 1u a good reduction choice or should I try for 1.5?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  38. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi They do make U-40 syringes with half unit markings, it will make it easier for you when either decreasing or increasing
    I am going to tag
    @Deb & Wink so she can take a look at your SS tomorrow and give you advice on his dose.
    He's so adorable
    You did a great job staying calm :bighug::cat:
    Do you have syringes with half unit markings

[​IMG]

@Katsallday

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  39. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Do you think I could get them at a vet office or Amazon? I'm an instant gratification kinda gal! And thank you! You didn't see the pacing I did luckily so I think I look cooler on the forums :cool:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  40. Diane Tyler's Mom

I see Tuna eats wet DM, isn't that expensive?
    Most if us feed Fancy Feast Classic Pate, they are 2 or 3 % carbs
    It's fine if you want to stay with the DM, just trying to save you some money:cat:
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-pierson-new-food-chart.174147/

Here is the food chart.
    It's also a good idea having some med and high carb food in the house instead of feeding him dry when he drops low
    For your hypo kit you can get the following and also look at the food chart

med and high carb food on hand in case he drops too low and you need to bring his BG up to safe numbers

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Beef Feast in Gravy 20% High Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Chicken Feast in Gravy. 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Turkey Feast in Gravy. 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Chicken and Beef Feast in Gravy 15% Med Carbs

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-pierson-new-food-chart.174147/

Deb & Wink likes this.
  41. Diane Tyler's Mom

Most vets don't have them, you can probably get them on Amazon, my cat is in remission right now, but I would get the from ADW Diabetes
    I will give you the link, just give me a minute

Deb & Wink likes this.
  42. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I think 1.5 units would be a better dose but see what @Deb & Wink says.
    I’m going to tag @Chris & China (GA) as she may know where to buy the half unit u40 syringes.
    I see @Diane Tyler's Mom is also helping you with the syringes

Deb & Wink and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  43. Diane Tyler's Mom

Deb & Wink likes this.
  44. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Tunas +11 was 168... I'm not sure what to do if it's this low for his pmps in 30min

Deb & Wink likes this.
  45. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Your SS is saying +10 is 168. Is +11 the same.?
    You can wait until about 10 minutes before +12 and then take the PMPS and if it is under 200 STALL DONT FEED AND TEST AGAIN IN 20 minutes.

Can you put a line in the SS between the vetsulin and the Prozinc numbers please?

46. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

I missed 3 o'clock and I'm panicking so idk what I did wrong in the SS but I just took that 168 read 50 minutes ago

Deb & Wink likes this.
  47. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

I don't know how to put a line just yet, the thick row except is all prozinc except that first pink

Deb & Wink likes this.
  48. Diane Tyler's Mom

Sorry what do your mean you missed 3 o'clock
    What Bron is asking you what was his @+10. You have 168 filled in there and saying his @+11 is 168

EDIT OK I see his @+10 was 153

Deb & Wink likes this.
  49. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

i fixed it im sorry, im not great with charting things

Deb & Wink likes this.
  50. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

HE READ AT 207 phew, should i push a full 1u? ive never had a PS this low :")

Deb & Wink likes this.
  51. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Bron and Sheba (GA)
    Bron what do you think

52. Bron and Sheba (GA)

No you earned a reduction with the 85.
    So I would go with 0.75 units or if you can’t measure that give 0.5 units. As long as you can monitor the cycle. I would get a +1 and a+2

53. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks Bron, I was going to tell her 0.5 if no one came back on
    Thanks so much :cat:

54. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

i dont think i can get an accurate 0.75 with what i have, but i can go to every vet in my area to find them before his amps. for now i think i can push 0.5 accurately? i will get that +1 and +2 and nadir atLEAST. if i see bad numbers i can pull an allnighter if need be

Deb & Wink likes this.
  55. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

you guys are the best. thank you so so so much

56. Diane Tyler's Mom

Katrina what time is it where you are right now
    and has Tuna always eaten wet food?

57. Bron and Sheba (GA)

58. Diane Tyler's Mom

59. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

its exactly 2:20 am, my fiance is the one who pushes the insulin, im too afraid of needles and he gets home at 3am. he use to eat wet food maybe 5 times a week when i was in extreme couponing in 2016. since then i got more cats and it became very hard to pay for that much wet food. hes now a permanent wet food cat thats for sure

will do!

60. Diane Tyler's Mom

OK good, just wanted to make sure he's on wrt food, I'll post the Prozinc sticky for you and when things settle down you can read it.
    Isn't the DM wet very expensive

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/prozinc-dosing-methods.225629/

If kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L) decrease the dose by 0.25 unit immediately.

61. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

yes, but i was paying roughly the same for tikicat and he seems to like the dm more actually. plus my vet didnt really ask they just made me buy it, i showed them the tikicat and her response and i quote "i dont know what that 'forum' told you but DM is the highest quality cat food for a diabetic cat, does he like wet or dry." :banghead:

my fiance got home early and i feel less stressed now so i can read the sticky!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  62. Diane Tyler's Mom

Nothing special about the DM believe me, but if he likes it ok
    Most of us feed Fancy Feast Classic Pates or Friskies
    I have you the food chart above , just trying to save you some money

63. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

i will for sure make the switch when hes finished the huge pack i bought for $60 like a fool because i didnt want the vet to think i was rude. i kept fighting her on the dose and she just got sassier and sassier until she beat me down. ill be shopping for a third vet now :woot:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  64. Diane Tyler's Mom

Okey Dokey, might as well use it up, mist vets will push the DM
    I'm sure he will like the Fancy Feast Classic Pates, so many flavors
    I gave you the med and high carb wet foods above , you can also look at the food chart for the percentages of carbs I showed you.
    I listed the syringes with half unit markings above and coupons you can use
    ADW Diabetes ships pretty quick.

65. Diane Tyler's Mom

Don't forget to fill in 0.5 units for tonight, thanks for making the line showing you switched to Prozinc, one more thing add the meter you using in your signature

66. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Your the best omg. Thank you so much for everything tonight. Im still gonna be up for quite some time. My panic will start to get real bad after his shot in 15 minutes. I always have a big panic attack right after. I'll be monitoring every hour probably until nadir. He seems to hit nadir at +7. I'll be reading and buying all night. At least I have something to do! Maybe I'll get back into extreme couponing for the rest of my cats to get on wet food permanently as well

Deb & Wink likes this.
  67. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

here he is, acting like its a day on the beach
    https://imgur.com/a/8zNZgxx

we just took a post food BG @284

Deb & Wink likes this.
  68. Diane Tyler's Mom

No problem you are very welcome, Try and stay calm , I know it's easier said than done. He will be fine. I used to get panic attacks also , not as bad as you though
    They are horrible I know. Went on Paxil and when needed I take a xanax lol

Eventually when you become less stressed and see how the insulin affects him and when he hits nadir or before that you can get a automatic feeder and set times up for him to eat. I know you have a lot more kitties, bless you for taking care of them
    If Tuna is the only one in the house then an automatic feeder will be good.
    If you can stay up late to feed him if he gets hungry then fine

I'm in New Jersey so it's the same time here as in Fla.. Just happen to be up this late tonight

69. Diane Tyler's Mom

Lol he's too cute, we will find the dose he does good on, but as you know that could change

Just post whenever you need help
    When you read the Prozinc Sticky I would go with the SLGS dosing method
    You will read about the two methods there are

70. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

I have a panic disorder and health anxiety, it's a rough time in my brain. Because of my health anxiety I don't take any medications for my panic because I'm afraid I'll become randomly allergic to it. It isn't logical and I'm working on it, but at least I'm self aware enough to know it's dumb. I can't even be in the room when my fiance pushes the insulin I'm so scared. The first night I stayed to try to be there for tuna and I immediately when into such a deep panic and messed up all my hard work of not googling my panic symptoms. It always says heart attack or stroke or aneurysm and it sends me into a deeper panic. I'm sure my fiance thought that when I found this forum that it was just a symptom of my health anxiety now spreading to tuna. We are so lucky that I stuck with it and trusted that you guys were the right call. One day I'm sure I'll be okay enough that I can watch the shot, but I'm still so early in my own diagnosis that I'm not ready to handle watching this. I remember the days when I was cool and could do things like pierce my own ears and eat gluten :joyful::joyful::joyful:

My fiance just pushed the .5 so now it's a waiting game. Who will win, my panic or my will to monitor tuna without my fiance's help.:nailbiting:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  71. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Lovely photo... he is a bit chubby! Like a lot of us shut up with the pandemic. :joyful:

72. Diane Tyler's Mom

I totally understand where you are coming from, I read about what you said you have in one of your other posts. So me people just can't understand what your mind can do to you. I understand
    One day you will be ok, when you are ready. You will get there

Deb & Wink and Dyana like this.
  73. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Can you believe I free fed all of my cats and he is the only overweight one? His sister is the image of health! He mimics me and with my mental health issues I spend alot of time in bed with him. I've been more active trying to get him active so I think that's a good thing!
    Thank you, I believe I can get there. Just unfortunate timing and an unfortunate diagnosis for tuna. I hope that the many people never feel that kind of panic. It truly does feel like a heart attack. I'm scared one day I'll actually be sick but I won't know it's real because of my anxiety. But just like tunas gonna get better, so will I!! <3

74. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hang in there. You are doing a great job getting Tuna sorted out and on the right track.

75. Diane Tyler's Mom

You will get better, my first panic attack I thought I was having a heart attack also, my left arm went numb, heart was pounding out of my chest, felt like I was going to pass out, I know what you mean. I rushed to the ER and the doc said I had a panic attack, I said you're crazy :p I don't have panic attacks
    He asked me if I argue with my husband lol (who passed away 13 years ago)
    I said I would be having a panic attack every day :p
    Asked me about work, am I worried about anything etc
    I said no I was just watching TV and this feeling came over me for no reason
    Then it started to happen more often because I was afraid to drive any where in case I had one and was by myself.
    Knock on wood it's been years since I had one. Just one time I started to feel funny again, so I just laid down and tried to relax and not get worked up.

Just hang in there ok :bighug::cat:

Going to bed, I'm dead tired, so good night, I'll check in with you tomorrow
    @Bron and Sheba (GA) good night to you also, even though it's day time for you. Thanks for being on board tonight I wasn't so sure what to suggest :bighug:
    :cat::cat:

76. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Always when I'm trying to relax and watch YouTube or Netflix it just hits me too!!! I'm normally trying to eat at that relaxing moment and then I feel like I can't breathe or swallow my food and I get these awful tremors through my body. I've lost over 30 lbs this past 3 months because I'm afraid I'm going to choke during a panic! I wonder why it hits us during relaxing moments? Seems even crueler :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  77. Nan & Amber (GA)

What a great cycle for Tuna!

Don't worry if he's high for a little while after those greens, he might be "bouncing" (reaction by the cat's body, dumping sugars in response to lows). But he does seem to like the Prozinc, doesn't he?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  78. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Yes his numbers are very high right now :( do I hold with the .5u or increase?

What I'm assuming is that I should hold or increase by .25u. we didn't get a chance to see what .5u could do because of that 2u bounce and that's a shame.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  79. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Update: I'm at the vet right now to update them on tunas very low numbers on half their prescription dose. I'm gonna be nice to see if they can give me u40 syringes with half unit markings or a script for them, and then I'll let them know what they tried to do to tuna

Deb & Wink likes this.
  80. Nan & Amber (GA)

That's a very good question. You're right to be thinking in the longer term-- we don't want to increase because of the bounce, we want to give a dose time to settle in first. The question is, what dose is a good one to try?

My suspicion is that, based on yesterday's great numbers, his ideal dose is going to be closer to 2U than 0.5U, so I'd be inclined to try something like 1.0U (with the goal being to stick with it for a week before re-assessing, unless he earns a reduction by going under 90). On the other hand, since he's on a low-carb wet food diet now, the recommended Prozinc starting dose is 0.5U, so there's some support for that approach.

From the PROZINC DOSING METHODS sticky:

Starting Dose:
    • 1u BID if kitty is not on a wet/canned low carb diet
    • 0.5u BID if kitty has been switched to a wet/canned low carb diet
    • If the cat was previously on another insulin, the starting dose should be increased or decreased by taking prior data into consideration
    • Generally, shots are to be given 12 hours apart.
    Note also that we usually take the previous insulin's dose into account-- but Tuna wasn't on Vetsulin for very long and we don't have enough data on how he did on any one dose, so I'm not sure that's going to be super-helpful. We really only have yesterday's action to go by to gather clues.

Also from that sticky, here's the description of holding a dose for a week before re-assessing, and how to re-assess:

Hold the dose for at least a week:
    • Unless your cat won’t eat or you suspect hypoglycemia
    • Unless your kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L). If kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L) decrease the dose by 0.25 unit immediately.
    After 1 week at a given dose perform a 12 hour curve, testing every 2 hours OR perform an 18 hour curve, testing every 3 hours. Note: Random spot checks are often helpful to "fill in the blanks" on kitty's spreadsheet. The goal is to learn how low the current dose is dropping kitty prior to making dose adjustments.
    • If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit
    • If nadirs are between 90 (5 mmol/L) and 149 mg/dl (8.2 mmol/L), maintain the same dose
    • If nadirs are below 90 mg/dl (5mmol/L), decrease the dose by 0.25 unit

Bottom line is: I lean towards 1.0U but I definitely think you could stick with 0.5U if you're more comfortable starting on that dose. It would mean a slower climb up if he does need more insulin than that, but it might be less stressful.

Good luck at the vet! Don't give them too hard a time if you like the vet otherwise-- good vets are hard to find, and sometimes it's easier to just smile and nod at the FD advice and do your own thing, while using them for other important stuff.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  81. Diane Tyler's Mom

If you order the syringes from ADW Diabetes your vet can call them and tell them the ones you want, I listed 2 for you above, or you can call then tell them which ones you want and they will call your vet for you, good luck :bighug:

Katsallday likes this.
  82. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Is it safe for me to jump from the 2u yesterday, to the .5u last night, to 1u today? If it's okay I'll go with the 1u if I can't get these half unit marked u40 syringes before his shot in 2 hours. I suspect his dose is going to be around 1 - 1.5u. I had to feed him alot of food yesterday to bump up those falling green numbers.

I just spoke with a vet tech and made sure they documented his near hypo on half their dose. They tried to sneakily give me normal u-40 syringes I suspect because they don't want me messing with their prescribed dose :banghead: so no half marked syringes for me today :(

Reason for edit: Additional info
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  83. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

That's awesome! If my vet won't give me this syringes that's the route I'll take hopefully they'll accept the the call in script request!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  84. Nan & Amber (GA)

It's not ideal to bounce around doses a lot, but it's not unsafe, it just makes it hard to figure out what's really going on. That's why it's important to hold a dose for several days before re-assessing.

85. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Deb & Wink

@JanetNJ

Hi ladies Katrina just started her cat on Prozinc on 5-20-21 before that was Vetsulin
    Her vet wanted her to start on 4 units of Vetsulin but she did not , see her SS

She gave him 2 units of Vetsulin , then 1 unit
    Last night she gave him 2 units of Prozac and he started to hit 3 greens during the cycle
    She then gave him 0.5 units Prozac last night, of course he's high now
    She doesn't know what to give him now
    She shoots at 3PM and the at 3AM
    Do you think you can help her out
    Human meter, wet food LC DM after she's done with the DM going to switch to Fancy Feast Classics Pate

Thank you ladies

EDIT. Just a heads up Katrina started a new thread since this one was getting too long
    New thread

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/tunas-bg-is-toying-with-me.247656/

86. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

That's why I'm tempted to push one unit and hold there. I just spoke to my vet on the phone first of all they wanted me to sign a release form saying that if I'm going to go against medical advice they discourage it. Second once my vet got on the phone after they told me I need to sign a form I explained to her everything that happened yesterday and why I had to jump from two units down to 0.5 and why I want to try to hold at one for a while. She first told me that I need to just let the hypoglycemia happen. Then she asked me to confirm the dosing that I took from the vet and I said you prescribed me four units I pushed two units. She said "I was just trying to follow the dosing guidelines" and I said I understand that but I followed the same dosing guidelines on the low end of the guide and this still happened. Then I told her how much I fed him to keep him in the '80s and '90s and then she said do you have Karo syrup AFTER THEY TOLD ME THEYVE NEVER HAD A HYPO CAT "insert eyeroll here" and after she was talking to me for a little bit she said I think I would advise you to hold at one unit. Like duh that's what i told you. These vets man. I actually recorded the whole phone call since they want me to sign a form to protect them I want to protect myself as well lol.

87. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

I have 10 minutes til go time. I think I'll push the 1u since I can't carefully dose the 0.75. my vet won't give me the script for the half marked syringes either so I'll ask my fiance's dad for it. He's a vet but he's not an internist so he has no idea about FD. I probably won't get them for a few days so I'll try to hold that 1u for a week.

88. Nan & Amber (GA)

Sounds like a plan! Hopefully, Tuna will hold off on earning any reductions until you get the half-unit syringes, it's much easier to dose the small changes with those.

A favor: could you start a new thread for the new day? This one is getting kind of long. You can link to this old discussion in the first post of the new thread so that people can follow the history.

89. Diane Tyler's Mom

Unbelievable your vet wouldn't give you a script for the half unit syringes
    I can't write what I want to say on here lol, I would probably get thrown off :p
    I'm glad your fiance's dad will do it for you

Katsallday and Deb & Wink like this.
  90. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Haha I just found this reply! I'm not sure I've said very nice things about either of the vets I've had so far. Believe me I said worse outloud. When they told me I have to sign a release form I laughed out loud on the phone! I said the dose you prescribed could have killed tuna and she said "I'm sorry if you go against our advice you have to sign the form" I should make them sign forms!!!

91. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

It’s called CYA ( over your a$$). Liability insurance rules.

Again, you want to find a vet that will work WITH you, but that isn’t always easy to do. Especially if you live in a more rural area.

There is a vet interview topic/thread in the Health FAQ’s forum here.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.