Switching from Vetsulin to Basalgar...what dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by lacimae11, Aug 7, 2022.

1. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Hi all,

We are switching to Basalgar this morning. I have been instructed by her vet (I know I know...) to start with 1u. She has been on 4u of vetsulin 2x per day for the last 4 years. I know her spreadsheet is not the best, but I am doing my best.

Getting her AMPS right now and then will feed. Will wait for response before I shoot.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I think to play it safe I would start with 3 units. Can you monitor closely today and tomorrow?

Diane Tyler's Mom and lacimae11 like this.
  3. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Yes I can monitor today and tomorrow. Her BG before eating this morning was 330 on AlphaTrak. Do you think it’s safe to shoot 3u of Basalgar? This will be her first dose ever of this type.

4. tiffmaxee

We usually suggest shooting about the same or a little less of what the previous dose on the Vetsulin. We will know soon if too much or not enough. Lantus takes 5-7 days for the depot to build and to see what a dose does for a cat. You are following SLGS so if you want to start with less you can but will hold each dose for 7 days unless the bg drops under 90. Being on 4 units of Vetsulin for 4 years makes a suggestion of 1.0 lantus ridiculous. What dose do you want to start?

Diane Tyler's Mom and lacimae11 like this.
  5. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Ok. I just gave her 1u before reading this because I was just nervous of giving her too much. When you put it that way though, 1u does sound a bit ridiculous. Since I already gave her 1 just a few mins ago, can I shoot again and add 2u? 3u seems like a safe number if you believe so. And I will keep monitoring today.
    I trust you more than I trust myself!

6. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Ok just gave 2 more to make 3u. She moved and I missed a little on the second one. Will check BG in an hour or 2

7. tiffmaxee

PLEASE DON’T EVER SHOOT TWICE AGAIN EVEN IF A FUR SHOT. It would have been better to just shoot the higher dose tonight.

Start with a +2. With lantus that is usually when it kicks in.

8. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Ok got it! I didn’t reshoot the one that missed some. I just gave 3u total. But I understand!

9. tiffmaxee

How far apart were the two injections?

10. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Like 3 minutes. I did the 1u and then immediately saw your comment and did the other 2u right away

11. tiffmaxee

Ok. No worries but never do it with a fur shot as we don’t know if some got in. If too long between the two shots it can get complicated and give you two nadirs. You don’t want that.

12. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Okay understood. I don’t think it was even a full 3u because of some not getting in there. I’ll make sure tonight’s dose goes a lot smoother….

Ashleigh & Ares likes this.
  13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

14. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi again , if you plan on posting on the Lantus board from now on
    Here is how you would do it
    So if you start tomorrow morning you put the
    Date, Kahlua, AMPS # and any other tests you do after that like the BG number @+2 ,etc
    To go back and add those tests to your title look to the right and you will see the word Thread Tools tap on that then tap on Edit Title , add those tests and tap save
    You can continue with her PMPS numbers on the same title :cat:
    We also link your previous days post to the new one

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    lacimae11 likes this.
  15. Ashleigh & Ares

Ashleigh & Ares Well-Known Member

Best of luck with the switch. it did wonders for my sugar baby's numbers!

lacimae11 likes this.
  16. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Just double checking you're using the U100s...put those U40s somewhere you'll never ever find them again! By the looks of this cycle you are using the correct syringes, but I always like to double check.

We've got a full moon going on with syringes lately!

17. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Luckily I used the last one I had on her very last injection of it!!

18. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

I am not sure where I should post but I just put one in there with the title you provided. Would appreciate any feedback- I am waiting to go to sleep until I know it’s safe. But I’ll be honest…I’m exhausted!

do I post a new title each day?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  19. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Yay! Thanks so much.

20. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

yes, each day you post a new thread, called a daily "condo" (don't ask me why, nobody knows lol)

each day's thread is formatted with a title like this: 8/8/ Kahlua AMPS XXX, +2 XXX, + 5 XXX, you keep editing the title as the day goes on, adding each BG test to it

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.