? Sudden BG Drop 607-300 Advice Please

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Linda & Steve, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Linda & Steve

Linda & Steve New Member

Admins-advice please [​IMG]

What dose should I administer tonight at 8pm? (Vet recommends 12U if BG 300-400s)
    Is DKA possible with low BG?
    Should I be running to the ER? (currently watching to see if I can get urine for a Ketones test strip)

We are currently on Lantus @ 13U BID Using AlphaTrak2

Other meds are:
    Omeprazole .45ml BID
    Gabapentin .40ml BID
    Cerenia 1/4 tab PRN

Diabetic since: 07/2019

Other Conditions:
    Acromegaly
    Unclassified Cardiomyopathy
    Gallop Rhythm
    Tooth Resorption syndrome
    Severe Periodontal Disease

Steve has dropped 300 points since 8pm yesterday. 607 PMPS last night to 486 AMPS today with a low of 300 at AMPS+ 7 (3pm EST) today. 13U was administered this morning.

Today's symptoms are:
    - low appetite this morning (took him from 8am - 11am to eat his full can of FF) (appetite better this afternoon but he is not acting famished as normal, yesterday I could not get the food in front of him fast enough)
    - lethargy
    - increased water intake from 8am-2pm (this afternoon he is not constantly sitting at water bowl)
    - uninterested in normal activities (going outside)

Gave Cerenia at 10am. Appetite better, eating afternoon meals in full plus some extra Just ate 3/4 can Fancy Feast at 5pm (normally gets only 1/2 can). However overall appearance is seriously lethargic.

BGs normally 500-600s. See spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1voznTOuVEBPOyZpOVKe1mpf72O9FJQ3-c3ue7nAwMo4/edit?usp=sharing

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Linda! The Acro forum isn't very busy so since you're using Lantus, I'd post in the Lantus Forum

You'll be asked to get your Signature set up as soon as you can which gives us the answers to the questions we always need to ask.

Lots of great information in this "Help us to help you" thread too

3. Linda & Steve

Linda & Steve New Member

Thank you Chris

4. Chris & China (GA)

My advice from the group still stands though. With a recent DKA (Jan), the risk of another one is more concerning than the risk of a hypo with him being so high.

You can easily manage a hypo at home with some high carb food or Karo/honey/syrup. Since you've already been through a DKA, you know how much harder those are to deal with.

5. Linda & Steve

Linda & Steve New Member

Heading to the ER now. BG was 360 at 5pm after eating a can of FF and now is 348 so def not heading in the right direction. Thank you for your help tonight Chris.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Let us know what you find out. We care!

As soon as you can you need to get his dental problems dealt with too. Dental disease can cause so many problems with getting the diabetes better controlled.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Why did you drop from 14 to 13 units? We don't dose based on preshot numbers, but rather how low the dose is taking the cat. That low is somewhere typically in the middle of the cycle. Anything above 300 means his dose is still too low.

PS: I removed the 911, it didn't sound like a medical emergency. Though I'm glad you are getting him looked at. In these sorts of numbers, you should be testing ketones daily.