Starting insulin tomorrow

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kahluasmom, Oct 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahluasmom

Kahluasmom Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out a schedule. If I get up at 6:45 to make sure she has no food, then check BG at 8:45, food and then shot at say 9...then recheck at 12, 3 and 6, right? Do I repeat this process overnight as well? I can set an alarm and do that. But after a few nights I'm gonna be a mess. Is that how it's done?

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

This is exactly why I bought an autofeeder, so I didn't have to remember/get up to remove the food.

With Lantus you test/feed/shoot all within a few minutes of each other, you don't have to separate them.

Testing can be different from cycle to cycle, but we recommend getting a +2 or +3 to get an indicator of where the cycle may be heading. Some cycles you may get a break and can let her go the rest of the day, some cycles are more active and need closer monitoring.

I'd suggest browsing the Lantus forums and browsing some spreadsheets if you get a chance. Look at mine before July, you'll see if he was yellow or higher I pretty much let him be. Blues depended on the number trend (dropping vs flat, what time in the cycle), green is usually fairly close monitoring.

Kahluasmom likes this.
  3. Kahluasmom

I just added a photo to my SS of my syringe. Could someone look and let me know if 1 unit is where I have the black stopper. I'm super nervous! Her previous owner mentioned she'd sometimes get kind of funny after a shot.....not helping!!!

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yep, you got it! That's 1U

5. Kahluasmom

Okay....thank you.....going to check BG and get started......

FrostD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.