Senvelgi - accuracy of at home test strips

MrWolf

Member Since 2026
I started Mr. Wolf on Senvelgo 3 days ago.
My vet told me I could use human test strips.

I sent the photo of the test to the vet. Based on that, the vet asked me to bring Mr. Wolf in. The test at the vet showed no Ketones, but the vet wants me to stop Senvelgo based on the at-home test strip. I feel that use of the at-home test strip only succeeded in introducing uncertainty. If we only had the test results from the vet, the vet would probably be happy to continue the Senvelgo.

Does anyone have experience with CVS-brand test strips? To me it just like like urine-darkened color of an unused test strip. It also doesn't really look like any of the colors on the comparison chart.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
 

Attachments

  • unused strip.jpg
    unused strip.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 11
  • used strip.jpg
    used strip.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 11
I don't use that brand, but I have used a couple different brands for people and pets (right now Keto-Mojo and Vet 14 bought online and not from a vet office) and sometimes the color doesn't make sense- I have gone with a simple question- is it more brown or more pink? A lot of times it will darken, but be brown, so negative. All the tests at the vet confirm that she has been negative. When the test strips go bad they sometimes turn grey or lavender during the test- which freaked me out the first time. The comparison charts for all of the strips I've used are pretty crap.

There are people here who do the blood ketone meters, so that is an option if you want to find a compromise with the vet? Maybe they would trust that more that the strips?
 
Thank you. The diabetes is new. The vet told me to stop the Senvelgo. I was hoping for some information to provide to the vet after the weekend.

Thanks again!
 
I use Ketostrips (brand name ) at home. But let me be sure I have this right---AFTER you got the positive at home the vet double checked with blood ketones which were negative and is stopping the senvelgo anyway? That does not sound right to me. Is your kitty symptomatic in some other way? the first strips I bought for home use I was never sure-lol. Try a different brand maybe if you and your vet decide to continue.

https://todaysveterinarypractice.co...5/03/TVP-2024-0304_BI-Senvelgo-QuickStudy.pdf
This is some info I found helpful.
 
Back
Top