Seeking feedback

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cara & Sabrina, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Cara & Sabrina

Cara & Sabrina Member

Can some of you wonderful members look at Sabrina's spreadsheet and offer any guidance and insights? I feel like our progress in adjusting her dose was slowed down by her moments of stumbling, being wobbly, etc. In the remarks column of the SS you can see what I'm referring to (plus some threads I created on the forum). Worried that this was hypoglycemia, I stalled at considering increasing her dose. However, she had never tested under 232, so we can rule out hypoglecemia being the cause. I'm hoping that if I can get her insulin dose at where she needs it to be, she can stabilize and perhaps the wobbliness will stop. Thank you!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You need at least one other test at night. Cats often go lower at night. You are right that the tests you have don’t show any chance at hypos but we dint know about the nights. The blue +2 on 7/24 makes me wonder.

3. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

In your comments on your ss you mentioned that you suspect neuropathy. I would suggest you start some methyl B12 for that.

Also, was it a typo or did you go from 1.25 units to 1.60 units or should it be 1.50 units? Usually we only increase by 0.25 units at a time so we don't miss the perfect dose.

4. Cara & Sabrina

Cara & Sabrina Member

I will work on getting more tests at night. I am filling the syringe to just over 1.5 because there is often a little bubble, so it's more likley that she's getting more like 1.5 units. When there's clearly a bigger bubble I've tried flicking the syringe and expelling the bubble, but in the process about a unit squirts out. I struggle with it because it's such a minute adjustment for the plunger, and if I waste about 2 units a day checking for bubbles, that significantly increases the monthly insulin cost.

I rarely am able to give shots exactly every 12 hours. Is there a way to record time on the spreadsheet? Or is it just assumed that the shots vary some? (My work schedule does not allow me to be home at the precise times needed, plus I have a few side jobs and other obligations.)

5. Cara & Sabrina

Cara & Sabrina Member

How do I give methly B12, and amount?

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You might try this...if there's a bubble in the syringe, pull in a little more air and then do your "flicking" to get all the air up at the top and then expel it.

It seems to be easier for the bubbles stuck to the syringe to move up into a bigger air bubble.

Break up an hour into quarter-hours. If you shot at 6am but didn't shoot until 6:30pm, put the test number in the PMPS cell along with @ +12.5. You'll have to color code the cell manually.

15 mins = .25
    30 mins = .5
    45 mins = .75

You can get it in tablets that can be crushed or capsules than you just pull apart and empty into food. It's tasteless so can be mixed with food or mixed with water and syringed.

The Zobaline for cats that a lot of people use is 3000mcg of Methyl B-12 so I'd try to get at least that much per day. There are capsules that are 1000-5000mcg you can use too (B-12 is a water soluble vitamin so any the body can't use gets peed out).

You can get Methyl B-12 at health food stores, the vitamin area of some big store or online. Just make sure there's no sugar added or xylitol in the ingredients.

The Zobaline for cats has really gotten pricey but you can get the 5000mcg Methyl B-12 capsules on Amazon for a lot cheaper.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

From your previous thread on Health: (In the Lantus forum, we put the link to our previous post into the current one so people can quickly go back and see what's been going on)

You can shoot 2 hours late, but the problem is that you'd have to be able to shoot at least 1 1/2 hours later than normal the next shot and it sounds like that may not be an option for you.

We have had people make a different schedule work (like +10/+14) but they fully understood the risk of shooting that early. An early shot can act like an increased dose and a late one can act like a dose decrease so it may cause some wonky numbers since the depot never gets a chance to stabilize.

You might want to seriously consider trying a different insulin like ProZinc. It's also a good insulin for cats and has more "wiggle room" with dosing times since it's not a depot insulin