Sad Update. Owen is gone ahead.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SusanandOwen, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: How to handle UPDATE: Owen is HOME! (p2)

what is the insulin the eclinic used? how much did they give him? are they testing him? or just giving the shot? what is the frequency of giving the shot?

2. Trix and((( Teddybear))) GA

Trix and((( Teddybear))) GA Member

Susan,I am just seeing this now :( I am so sorry that Owen is back at the vet....Come on big guy.....Get better and go home to your Momma..I am keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers,wrapping you both in a big hug.

3. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

Hi Hillary,
    I am not sure what insulin the e-clinic is using right now. They had him on a drip earlier of the shorter onset/shorter acting stuff but they are using a longer action type now. He got 1.5u last night and was down to 1u today, but his BG has been in the 75 range and holding for a while so he did not get a shot tonight. And yes, they are testing him every few hours.

4. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

Thanks, Trixie! Owen is doing well - his BUN is down significantly which is what we needed to see today! He still needs to be better hydrated and we have a long way to go, but I am really hoping we have turned the corner now. DH and I go every four hours to visit him and feed him and he is looking much better!

We really appreciate all the kind thoughts and prayers. They are definitely helping!

5. Trix and((( Teddybear))) GA

This has been a long road for poor Owen,and to have a Mom and Dad like you guys is fantastic...What a lucky boy he is :)

6. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

still praying with crossed paws for Owen. Hope he keeps improving!! cat_pet_icon

I'm sure having your visits is really having a good impact on him. :D

7. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

Thank you both!

Owen looked pretty darn good when I picked him up at the e-clinic this morning to take him back to the regular vet's for the day. He was trying to get out of the cat carrier so he could look around - it made me so happy. He also talked a lot on the car ride to the regular vet's :) Over the weekend we went to see him every four hours - he eats better for us, so although we are tired, it's worth it if it helps him get better!

When we arrived at the regular vet's he was actually eating a bit on his own which made me smile. Unfortunately the tech chose that moment to try to get a BG reading and it made him stop eating. (I was kind of mad ... I understand they need to keep on top of that, but surely she could have waited a minute or two?) But anyway very happy that he is so much brighter, looking around more and hopefully on the mend. We are praying for lower phosphorus numbers along with continued improvement on his BUN and creatinine levels today... thank you all for the continued support. DH had to leave (traveling for work this week) so I am on my own right at the moment and it really, really helps to have you guys to "talk" to and share our progress with.

8. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

yay! Sounds like he is doing well.. keeping my fingers crossed for improvements on his numbers!

9. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

Thanks, Wendy, I hope so... :)

I was so encouraged when I picked him up at the e-clinic this morning. I usually open the little "window" on his cat carrier so I can pet him a little, and today I was like - oops! that might have been a mistake since he was trying to climb out!

He is still so thin, and still dehydrated... the vet said that generally they feel like after 72-96 hours, fluids will have done whatever they can for you. We are at 72 hours now, so today is pretty critical I think. Hoping so much for continued improvement, and that we have turned the corner on this.

We really appreciate the good energy, thoughts and prayers from everyone. I cannot tell you how much it helps.

10. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

WTG Owen. keep it up buddy.
    hugs susan

11. Sandy and Brie

Sandy and Brie Member

Great news! I hope things go well with home care.

Sandy

12. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

Happy to report Owen made more progress today :) His BUN is down almost 20 more points and his creatinine is down as well. SO proud of my boy who is hanging in there and working hard to get better! I am still going to the vet's/e-clinic every four hours to feed him, as the vet says that he really needs to keep eating to bring his phosphorus down. Let me tell you, hand feeding is getting pretty darn messy but if it helps him get better, so be it. It helps me feel like there is something I can do to help him.

(Sandy, Owen was only home briefly last week; he's still hospitalized around the clock... I should update the title on the thread but I am superstitious so I haven't touched it.) We are hoping he will be able to come home Thursday or Friday.

Thank you all again for the kind thoughts and prayers. I have no doubt that all the positive energy being sent Owen's way is helping him get better!!

13. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Thats great news! Keep up the good work Owen!!

14. Trix and((( Teddybear))) GA

Sounds like pretty positive news :) Keep it up big guy :) Still hoping he turns the corner soon and comes home to you Momma :) cat_pet_icon

15. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

Thank you!!!

I hope he is home soon... for one thing it will be nice to be able to pet him without having to get into the car and drive to the clinic! The vet thinks maybe Thursday or Friday. Meanwhile he is still going from e-clinic at night to the regular vet's in the daytime. Sigh. Off for round #? ... gotta get him to eat another half a can of food tonight. Our goal is three (big) cans of the pate style prescription stuff. I have to say it's a testament to Owen's good nature that he is willing to swallow it... it doesn't seem terribly appetizing to me. But when he gets home we will have lots of special treats for him ;)

16. Trix and((( Teddybear))) GA

Definately hoping this happens on thursday or friday...that would be so nice :)

17. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

Yes, it would!!!

We are now facing a new(er) issue... and that is that Owen seems to have a problem with progressive muscle weakness. At the beginning of the week he was a bit wobbly but now he is really having a hard time walking. It seems to have gotten much worse in the last 24 hours or so. :( Any ideas? I am going to post another thread on that as well since this one is so long...

Thanks for any help (and of course all the prayers and good wishes.) We have come so far this week, I just want to get him better and home with us!

18. Hillary & Maui (GA)

This could be diabetic neuropathy and the treatment for that is Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg (5mg) - usually 3-5 mg once a day will help. I use a human one and mix it into the food. It must be this type of B12 any other type will not work for neuropathy.

And it is common among diabetic cats.

19. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

Just copying here to thank everyone who has offered support and prayers these last ten days or so.

It is with a very heavy heart that I have logged on to say that my beloved Owen is gone. He was worse tonight when I got to the vet's and it was clear to me that it was time to let him go. I held him in my arms and saw just the quickest flash of him for a second as I petted him, and I knew. He was tired and his body was failing.

Run free my amazing O-O. We will always love you so much.

I am very grateful to everyone who sent prayers and hugs to us over these last days. It is very difficult to think that this time last night I was celebrating the vet's pronouncement that he expected Owen to make a full recovery, and to be home with us on Thursday or Friday.

The house is very empty without him, but I have his brother here with me, and I would like to think that while Owen took a piece of my heart with him when he left, I have a piece of his in its place.

As a Tibetan friend told me once, for some things there are no words, only tears.

20. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Something that my vet said to me after we lost our boy to cancer...

When the tears dry, do not look back with saddness because it is over...look back and smile because it happened at all. We are the ones that are blessed to have these amazing creatures share our hearts and homes.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

21. Sandy and Brie

Sandy and Brie Member

Tears from my heart. Fly free baby boy. I'm so sorry Susan that you had to say goodbye to Owen.

Sandy

22. Hillary & Maui (GA)

oh Susan, I am so very sorry. There are no words that will take away your pain.

Fly free sweet Owen, may you soar high and wide and land softly.
    You are much loved and will be sorely missed.
    Until you meet again.

Just know that you did everything you possibly could for him. He will always be in heart.

23. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

Thank you. I know we were very lucky to have Owen in our lives and he did so much that made us smile. I stopped at the e-clinic on my way home tonight to thank them and let them know, and the wonderful tech who had taken care of him many nights told me that in the course of working in an emergency clinic, "you have to learn how to go home." But she said every once in a while, a pet comes along that you think about when you aren't at work, and ask about as soon as you get in... and Owen was one of those. She said they had all done that with Owen, which meant a lot. He was always like that. Everyone loved him. We will miss him so much.

24. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

Thank you, Hillary. I have really appreciated all your kind words and support. I hope Owen is OK now, and curled up on a rug in the sun, waiting for us to come play with him again.

25. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

Thank you, Sandy. It was so hard to let him go.

26. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm SO SO Sorry it was Owen's time to cross but I'm SO thankful he shared such an amazing love. Remember, he's not gone, you just have to hug him differently....

Enjoy the sunshine sweet baby....

27. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh. I'm so sorry to see this.
    ((((Susan))))
    It's always so hard to say so long.
    Fly free Owen. rb_icon
    [​IMG]

28. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

Thank you both so much. I know we did the right thing for Owen and that is the important thing but we will miss him so much. He was such a bright, happy presence in our lives.

I am going to curl up with his brother Mac now, and try to think of all the happy Owie memories I have of the years we have spent together. I feel so lucky in that respect; he was so special.

Thank you all again for the hugs and prayers and support. It truly means more than I could possibly find the words to say.

29. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

{{Hugs}}

30. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Oh Susan, I just came on to check for an update and saw the candle for Owen. I believe there were many of us who may not have posted much but were keeping up several times a day reading your posts and saying our prayers. You and your husband have my deepest and most sincere and heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your beloved Owen. You all tried so hard to help him and he fought to stay with you. He knew you loved him......he felt your love. May all your precious memories help you both through "the moments" of grief and heartbreak. My heart goes out to you both. wings_cat

31. Denise & Honey

Denise & Honey Well-Known Member

So sorry for you loss, Susan.
    You and Owen fought so hard and have been through so much.

He's free now and has left you such wonderful memories wings_cat

Denise & Honey

32. Shelly/Boots

Shelly/Boots Member

Aaaah Susan,
    After reading you condo, it's very clear how much you loved Owen. Life gets hard and we do the best we can.
    God Bless you and your family.
    Shelly

33. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Tears then elations then tears...I've been following along. Ya know it warms my heart to see such devotion. It breaks my heart that sometimes devotion takes this turn. You did everything you could, everything. Thank you for taking us along on your journey. Many will learn from this and some will learn how to let go. My heart is with you during this difficult time.

Fly free dear Owen fly free...

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/mes ... d=17857000

My sincere condolences,
    jeanne

34. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOO!!! i am so very,very sorry. I had such hopes. I am at a loss for words.
    fly free sweet Owen. you will be remembered by many all over the world.
    hugs susan ,,,,,,,,,, sigh

35. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

Thank you all so much. It is comfort to know that so many kind people were following us along this difficult journey. I hope you got at least a little sense of how special he was.

As an example, a number of years ago I was treated for cancer with surgery and chemotherapy, so I wasn't feeling all that great. I had laid down on the couch in our den feeling a little nauseous from the chemo, and all of a sudden, I heard Owen's little paws coming down the hallway and into the den. He dropped a bunch of grass at my feet as if to say, "hey, if you're tummy's feeling bad, the best thing to do is eat some grass. Try it, it works!"

I know we were very lucky to have him as part of our family, and I look forward to the day when I see him again and can pet the softest fur in the world close to my heart.

36. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Susan,

I watched all your posts concerning Owen. I am sorry for your loss, you did everything possible to save his life. That is a lovely story about him bringing you the grass after you had surgery and chemotherapy. May you cherish many memories of him.

Terri

37. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

A kitty that special isn't going to sit idlely by at the Bridge....I bet he is already up there with some of our other special angels checking over the soon to be born kittens or those that have lost their way and picking out just the purrfect one to send home to mom and dad...because when one door shuts a window opens..and cats can jump :D

I know my Muse did, not once but twice, guess she figured it was going to take two to fill her paw prints :D Then when one of those she sent became an angel too, they sent Arabella, who is the purrfect mix of them both just minus the long hair.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

38. Trix and((( Teddybear))) GA

Oh (((Susan))) :cry: I am so so very sorry :(.... I came on to see an update.My heart is breaking for you right now....This pain is only to fresh in my mind with Teddy.And I so wish you did not have to go through this pain.Oh sweet sweet Owen fly free little fellow.....You did good by him Susan,and you put aside your feelings and thought of him.I am here if you need to talk.Rest easy tonight...I will light a candle and keep you all in my prayers tonight.

39. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

I wish I could find the words to tell you all how much I appreciate your kindness.

I am lucky that I still have Owen's brother, Mac, here with me. I am very grateful to have his warm fur to snuggle with. It is a little hard to sit here without Owen - his "spot" is to my right, on the back of the couch, where he was sort of shoulder level with me. Mac usually curls up on my feet. There is just a piece of the puzzle that is missing now, and I know Mac feels it, too. He and Owen were never separated. He keeps getting up and moving around, trying to get settled. I think it must be as odd for him not to have his brother sitting here with us in his normal spot as it is for me.

They say grief is the price we pay for love, and I suppose that is true. Owen brought us so much joy, and even today I can smile at the thought of all the funny things he did and how much love we shared. One of these days I will see him again.

40. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

Thank you, Trixie. I know you are coping with the same sense of loss. It is so hard to let our sweet wonderful guys go. Prayers to you as well.

41. Trix and((( Teddybear))) GA

hugs Susan....Teddy's spot was under my left arm and laying over my leg.I feel myself leaving an opening there hoping he is going to come and lay down sighhhhh Take comfort in knowing you did the best you could for him.And he is whole again and at peace.He is with Teddy :) thinking of you tonight Susan... wings_cat

42. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

I find myself doing the same thing. Owen liked to kind of wrap himself around you ... he had the softest fur. Hugs back to you.

43. allie and newkitty

allie and newkitty Member

I am so sorry Susan. After you two fought so hard. Please know HE knows how much he was loved, that you moved heaven and earth for him and would have continued to do so if he had not let you know he was ready to let go. I am so very, very sorry. However much time we have with them, it is never enough.

44. SusanandOwen

SusanandOwen Member

Thank you, Allie, that is so true. We never have as much time as we want with them.

I appreciate your kind thoughts, and hope that Owen knew without a doubt that we will always love him more than I could ever express.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.