GA Rocket has earned his wings.

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Karen&Rocket, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Hi all. I’ve been putting off posting… it still hurts so much. We lost Rocket on January 29th, a month after his 14th birthday. He had been going through what we thought was “just another IBD flare,” which we had always been able to get him through in the past. His regular vet had retired a few months before, and long story short, we had to go to a different office. We had three appointments in Rocket’s last week… the new vet was fantastic, but Rocket declined rapidly, and there was nothing we could do. We didn't do any testing beyond bloodwork since the vet didn’t think Rocket could take anesthesia. That would have been the next step. Based on physical exams and Rocket’s symptoms, the vet highly suspected an aggressive cancer.

My last update was just over a year ago. It was such a happy update. I had no idea that in a year my little Rocket would be gone.

I want to say, for anyone considering treatments for Acro: we had SRT done for Rocket in August of 2019, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Rocket went down to a normal-ish 2-unit insulin dose (from a peak of around 13 units). He was a much healthier and happy kitty for the majority of his last three and a half years. His neuropathy disappeared. He got his meow back. He was playful again. But most importantly -- he had more time.

There’s so much more to say. Rocket meant more to me than I can ever express. I lost most of my work when the pandemic hit, so I was with Rocket pretty much 24/7 for the last three years. And I’m beyond grateful for that time I had with him. But still… it went by SO fast, and I’m feeling lost and empty without him.

I’m going to add a bunch of photos to the end of this post. And in hopes that our story might help someone here, here are links to two of his past threads… first, when we decided on SRT:

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/weve-decided-on-srt-for-rocket.217282/

And the one I mentioned, his happy update from January of last year:

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/rocket-a-long-overdue-update.257477/

Much love to you guys. We all know how stressful, and how sad, this road can be. Please hug your little guys hard for me.

IMG_01.jpeg

IMG_02.jpg

IMG_03.JPG

IMG_04.jpeg

IMG_05.jpg

IMG_06.jpg

IMG_07.jpg

IMG_08.JPG

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Oh Karen, I am really feeling sad as I read your message. Thank you for sharing the photos of Rocket too. What a special boy. It looks to me like you gave him an absolutely beautiful life. I know that he knew he was loved. I’m sorry about the huge hole in your life and heart. It hurts so much. It’s wonderful that you were able to spend so much time with him for the past few years… even though it’s never enough. Thank you for sharing his journey with us. You will help other acro kitty parents decide. Take care of yourself. ❤️

JeffJ and Karen&Rocket like this.
  3. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Thank you Suzanne. So much. I still remember that beautiful photo you posted of Darcy napping in his chair. <3 Big hugs to you.

Suzanne & Darcy and JeffJ like this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

(((Karen))) I am so sorry to hear the sad news. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Everything you said about SRT mirrors what I thought too. More time, but more importantly, more good quality time for your extremely handsome boy. You were such a good momma to Rocket.

5. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Thank you Wendy. :bighug: And thank you for your help, especially when we first got here. It's so hard. :( I'm hoping to put together a tribute video soon, like you did for your beautiful Neko.

JeffJ likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It took me a year to finish the tribute video. I bet you could have beautiful music with a Rocket video. All those photos you posted are tribute worthy. I really like the one of him snuggling you.

7. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Thank you ❤️ I’m sure it will take me a good while too.

JeffJ likes this.
  8. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

It was my highest privilege to help you with Rocket over the past 4+ years. He was a marvelous patient. And you were a doting and loving Mom.

I will miss the daily Rocket updates and his antics. I already miss going to his spreadsheet multiple times a day. You did everything right.

Rocket was lucky. He had a good family, excellent care, and a wonderful home and neighborhood to explore. I bet your neighbors miss Rocket's daily leash walks through the neighborhood. Thank you for posting the pic of Rocket on his rocket pad that we sent you for his birthday. Theresa picked it out especially for him.

Rest in Peace gentle little fur-kid. Fly your rocket to the Rainbow Bridge with love. You were the very best ever.:rb_icon:

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  9. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Thank you so much Jeff. <3 You already know we think you and Theresa are some of the most caring and wonderful people on the planet. I'm so happy for you guys and your new little family member.

His Rocket pad was such a wonderful gift. That first photo -- the closeup where he's bunny kicking the banana? That's not our house, that's our friend's cabin up in Big Bear. If we took Rocket anywhere, his Rocket pad went too. :)

And since you mentioned the leash, here are a couple more photos. He was such a joy... my little love.

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

Melinda and Kitkat and JeffJ like this.
  10. Max & Lori

Max & Lori Well-Known Member

Karen, I am so sorry. It’s so sad to hear about this. You and Rocket were so encouraging to me and Max on your last update. You were such a wonderful mom to him. You gave Rocket a happy life and he gave you happiness in return. He was a beautiful kitty and I know you will keep all of those sweet memories in your heart forever. Acromegaly is a very sad and stressful road just as you said. I love the pictures of your beautiful boy. Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

11. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Thank you so much Lori. <3 I just looked at Max's spreadsheet; I know the last couple days have been rough but he's doing so well overall and you're taking such good care of him! :) Rocket was a very bouncy kitty too. Please give your lovely orange boy a big hug for me.

JeffJ and Max & Lori like this.
  12. Max & Lori

Max & Lori Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Karen.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Hugs to you Karen and your family. Our Acros and sugar kittehs put their lives in our hands. Rocket had a great life all because of you.
    Thx for the pics of Rocket walking in the flowers. He was such a handsome fur-kid, now with Leo and the other sugar kittehs at the Bridge.

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  14. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Thank you Jeff. Glad you liked the photos. It's been so hard. I loved him so very much. :'(

Suzanne & Darcy and JeffJ like this.
  15. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA) Member

cat_wings>oSorry for your loss....sending you hugs. Hope time can ease and heal your pain.

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  16. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Thank you so much Simone. At the end of this month, it will be six months since he passed. He was the absolute bestest kitty ever. We actually adopted a rescue kitty about two months ago, and he helps put a smile on my face every day. But I still can't believe that Rocket's gone. :(

I wish you the best with Missy -- please give her an extra hug from me.

JeffJ likes this.
  17. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

Looks like our fur babies crossed the rainbow bridge only 3 days apart from one another...you're right, still today, I can't believe my Micio is gone but the memories we had shared for 14 years are still vividly remembered in my head every day as there's not a single spot in the house where he hasn't hang around and left a mark or a sign of his personality. I miss the heck out of that guy and I don't regret a single day, hours or minutes spent away from family and friends or my personal things to be with him and give him the best I could....
    They steal our hearts and souls and leave a big hole when they go, each one of them are unique and cannot be replaced but yet, we can still find the way to love on another cat, dog or any living creature as they come to us in different ways, colors, personalities but most importantly they come to us at the right time and for a reason, even if we don't realize that right away.
    Would love to see and know the name of your new furry guy.....he's a lucky one ;)

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  18. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Thank you Simone. I just read Micio's last post. I'm so sorry too. :( What a beauty he was! Six months is really not that long, especially when we're as close to our cats as we all are here... we're still getting to know our new kitty, and sometimes I still miss Rocket so hard. The little things he used to do, and his voice... he was such a talkative kitty. I know over the years Kai will become a very good friend too, but Rocket will always be special. The very best.

Thanks for asking to see Kai, formerly Kyle :) (Kai means "ocean" in Hawaiian, and "keeper of the keys" in Welsh.) He's possibly either a Turkish Angora or Van mix, which I'm only mentioning because Micio looks like he was possibly a Turkish Van? Both breeds tend to be very smart, active and extremely playful, and Kai definitely is. Boundless energy. I'm posting three photos here; in the one where he's upside down you can see his eyes -- he has one greenish and one blue.

IMG_0099.JPEG

IMG_0259.JPEG

IMG_0263.JPEG

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
    JeffJ likes this.
  19. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

What a beauty :) and I love the name!

Karen&Rocket likes this.