Rocket! A long-overdue update.

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Karen&Rocket, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Hello! It’s been ages since I’ve posted, and there are a lot of new faces here. Some of the folks who have been here for a couple years might remember Rocket, my beautiful bestie who was diagnosed with acro in July of 2019. Well, with a new year I thought it would be a good time to post an update (and maybe some pics too!).

I’m not going to get into too much of Rocket’s background (trust me, this post will be miles long if I do), but here’s a couple of his threads from 2019 talking about his diagnosis and treatment, if anyone perhaps considering SRT wants a little more history:

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/well-its-official.216489/

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/weve-decided-on-srt-for-rocket.217282/

Long story short:

Rocket was diagnosed diabetic in Feb 2019, Acro diagnosis in July 2019

SRT (5 days of treatment) in Aug 2019

Insulin dose post-SRT went from 13U Levemir (unregulated) to around 3.5 by the end of 2019

Neuropathy – completely GONE by early 2020. Still gone to this day. He can jump, and climb to the top of his cat tree again!

2020 was a rough year though; in May of that year Rocket got very sick -- he was diagnosed with IBD, and other inflammation (liver, etc.) and had to start steroids. We tried Budesonide for a while since it’s supposed to be milder for cats, especially regarding blood sugar – but his IBD flare-ups were still horrible and we switched to Prednisolone, which helped greatly. Today his IBD seems to be mostly under control, with only occasional flare-ups. Knock on wood.

Things aren’t perfect, of course – for one thing, we gave up on the idea of remission a long time ago. Rocket was, and still is a VERY bouncy kitty, numbers-wise. Unfortunately I can’t follow a tight-reg protocol for a number of reasons, so I’m doing the best I can. At the moment his numbers are on the rise again, and I’ve increased his dose. Maybe the Prednisolone has made him a “real” diabetic; I don’t know, but it definitely increases his appetite, which keeps his numbers higher. But, I’ll take that over the horrible IBD episodes any day.

All-in-all, I’d consider his SRT treatment to be a great success, and would recommend it to anyone who is considering it, provided that you have access to a good team of experienced doctors. My only other caveat / warning would be don’t be surprised if numbers start changing quickly – and you should plan to test more often than you used to overall, as post-SRT kitties can be very volatile.

The most important update, really, is this -- I have my Rocket back. He's 13 now, and is a happy, still-playful, healthy-ish kitty. I feel very lucky to have him with us in 2022.

I want to say a big “thank you” to all the wonderful fellow acro-moms and dads who have helped us here. It's a tough road and the support means so much. @JanetNJ, @Panic, @Sharon14, @Bronx's dad (GA), @Idjit's mom, @Olive & Paula, @Teresa & Cricket... I know there are more... @Wendy&Neko, and @JeffJ of course – his acro-kitty Leo is a legend; an angel whose story helped us so much. Leo’s story is in Jeff’s profile; anyone else considering SRT should read it.

Much love to everyone who finds themselves on this board. May we all have a happier, healthier, and safe 2022.

2. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Oops! Almost forgot the pictures! Gotta pay the cat-tax. :)

Attached Files:

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Karen, good to see you. Rocket is a stunning gentlemen. Hope you have many more years together.

JeffJ and Karen&Rocket like this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What an great update Karen. I love that you have your kitty back. :joyful: Pass on some chin scritches from me to him.

@Lori & Max @Jodey&Eddie tagging you as two recent ones who did SRT with your kitty.

Max & Lori, JeffJ and Karen&Rocket like this.
  5. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

Thanks for tagging me here, Wendy.
    I'm so happy for you, Karen and Rocket!! It's such a long, long road and while the terrain is often really challenging there are these moments of grace when we see our kitties living their best lives.
    I live with two acrokitties, Blue and Eddie. Blue's had hypophysectomy, fractionated radiotherapy and SRT (most recently Nov 2020). He's been OTJ since August 11th and while he'll always be on certain medications, like Prednisolone, he's a very happy guy. I don't get to write much about him here as right now the focus is on his brother, Eddie, who had surgery and SRT (Feb 2021) and is only just now with the SRT, TR and the support here is now down to 7u from 15u about 7 months ago.
    It's a road, to be sure. Rocket is so handsome!! Really happy for you both. :bighug::cat::)

6. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Thank you Paula. It's good to see you too. Please give Tux and PJ a hug from me. :bighug:
    Thanks so much Wendy. Will do. :cat:
    Thank you!!! :) Nice to meet you. Two acrokitties, wow, I can't imagine. And you're taking such amazing care of them. Congrats on Blue being OTJ! :bighug: Definitely a long road, but it's so worth it. Please give them both a cuddle and a treat from me.

JeffJ and Jodey&Eddie&Blue like this.
  7. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Thank you for the great update Karen. Rocket is a special boy with a Mom and Dad with hearts of gold. Rocket is a great success story, and I am so glad the SRT has given him a longer life.

I appreciate the mention of Leoberry. Our furkids give us their world. Give Rocket a big hug from me. And hugs to you and your husband as well. You are doing a STELLAR job.:bighug::bighug:

I wish we lived in the same city so I could have the excuse to cat-sit for you. Rocket is such a handsome little man.

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  8. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Thank you so much Jeff. Hugs have been given. :cat: A big hug to you and Theresa as well, and of course the whole furry crew. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: (I wish you lived here too -- I'd take you up on the cat-sitting for sure! :D)

JeffJ likes this.
  9. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

:bighug::):cat:

10. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

What a great update Karen! So happy to hear you have your Rocket back :bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Thank you so much Paul. Thinking of you and your beautiful Bronx. :bighug: :bighug::bighug:

JeffJ and Bronx's dad (GA) like this.
  12. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I am so happy to read that you still have dear Rocket. What a beautiful cat!

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  13. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Thank you Suzanne. I just saw Darcy's memorial post and all your beautiful pictures. :( This journey is so difficult. Huge hugs to you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

JeffJ likes this.
  14. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Yes. This is one reason why I am cheering so nard for you and Rocket! Right now you are winning! And I am very happy to hear it.

15. Max & Lori

Max & Lori Well-Known Member

What a wonderful, encouraging update! This gives me some hope! Currently going through IBD issues with my Max. He just had SRT in October and has come down on his dose some since then, although still not regulated and very bouncy! Max also has neuropathy. That is so great that you have your kitty, Rocket back to playing and jumping! I’m so happy for you. Thank you for this encouraging post.:bighug:

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  16. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Thank you Lori! I'm glad you were able to do SRT for Max. He is a gorgeous kitty. :cat: IBD -- can be SO difficult. Rocket has had some really bad flare-ups, especially before switching from Bude back to Prednisolone. Sometimes I think the IBD is worse than the acro -- it's so stressful when they don't eat! And Rocket loves eating SO much, but we have to stick to a limited-ingredient diet. Poor little guy.

I see Max is using the Libre -- how is that working out? Does he tolerate it well? I've thought about trying it with Rocket, but I think he'd go crazy trying to take it off. Maybe worth a try, I don't know. As for the neuropathy -- our acros are such resilient little guys. I'm sure once you get Max into some better numbers he'll be doing much better too. :bighug:

Max & Lori likes this.
  17. Max & Lori

Yes it really is hard with multiple problems, but like you said they are resilient! I think my worrying sometimes is worse than he actually feels if that makes sense. He is still playful and happy most of the time. We tried the Libre once but Max took his off. He was not having it lol, so we are using the human meter again. Thank you! Rocket is a beauty too!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    Karen&Rocket likes this.
  18. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

I worry SO much too -- it absolutely makes sense. Sigh. As for the Libre, I missed that you went back to the other meter. Yeah unfortunately it seems like most cats don't take to it very well. We would get so much more sleep!!! :rolleyes:

Max & Lori likes this.
  19. Max & Lori

So true! :cat:

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  20. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Hi Lori - Leo had horrible neuropathy and it got a tad worse right after SRT. We were considering the decision. But we stuck it out.

I got him regulated and gave him daily B12 via zobaline. His neuropathy took some months to go away,. but he recovered to ~95%. It doesn't go away in just a few weeks. Keep up your hopes, and your great care for Max. He will be healthier before you know it.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Max & Lori likes this.
  21. Max & Lori

Thank you Jeff. I’ve been giving Max Zobaline daily. When we first joined here it was suggested. I’ve learned so much from this message board. I can tell that Zobaline has helped him but he still has some bad days with neuropathy. Thank you for your encouragement!

22. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Glad to provide some warm fuzzies for you. Not every cat gets big recovery from neuropathy. But from my observations - the kittehs that got regulated and got the B12, most of them recovered substantially over time. I know just how heartbreaking it can be. I tried to also give Leo some massages there but he didn't like the massages at all.

Rocket had pretty bad neuropathy too, and now he is doing great. Max will soon join the "We Beat Neuropathy Club".:bighug::bighug:

23. Elisha and Charlie

Elisha and Charlie Member

Hi Karen,

I have just joined the group and my boy has IBD as well. We are doing a Novel Protein Diet which has been amazing and kept him regular. Going to do scans in a couple of weeks to see how it is all progressing.

I love reading stories how Acro's pull through. I have hope for Charlie yet

Karen&Rocket and JeffJ like this.
  24. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Nice to meet you. :cat: Your kitty is beautiful! I'm glad to hear that novel proteins are working well for Charlie. We're considering trying rabbit for Rocket, maybe even the frozen raw patties. He has done fairly well on limited-ingredient rabbit pate in the past.

Give Charlie a big hug for me. Following you guys; I'm looking forward to hearing good things about his Cabergoline journey! :bighug:

25. Elisha and Charlie

Elisha and Charlie Member

You do learn something new every day. I just learnt you can follow people on this board.
    Charlie is on Rabbit and Venison. I found a Vet nutrionist on a Siberian Cat page where she said about the plan and she has been amazing.

Karen&Rocket likes this.