Britta and Regs
Member Since 2026
I’m so sorry for having so many questions at the moment, but Regs (and in this case his vet
) are driving me a little nuts.
I talked to my vet about Regs’ BG and neuropathy, and she feels that Lantus isn’t working for him and wants to switch him to ProZinc. I really like and trust my vet, but I’m not sure I agree with her on this. His numbers are definitely still very bouncy, but I know bouncing can be part of the regulation process, especially while a cat is getting used to lower numbers.
I’ve also always understood Lantus as well as ProZinc are the gold-standards in insulins for cats, but I’m hesitant to give up on Lantus too soon. She even mentioned Vetsulin again, which I personally feel is a hard no for Regs since he was on it before.
My vet also mentioned that she thinks Regs may have another condition, such as Cushing’s, contributing to his numbers. This was brought up without any testing yet, so I’m honestly not sure what to think. She would like to refer us to an animal hospital here in Orlando for further testing, but appointments are months out and I’m not convinced yet that this is where the problem lies. Of course Regs will get any testing, treatment or support he needs, I just don’t want to put him through unnecessary testing if what we’re seeing could still be part of the normal regulation process.
My guess is she just does not have enough experience with diabetes (what I can't blame her, Vets need to know so much already) and thats why I am asking here.
I would really appreciate some experienced eyes on his spreadsheet. Does Regs actually look unusually difficult to regulate, or does this still look like part of the process with Lantus and bouncing? Would you switch to ProZinc or give Lantus more time?
His neuropathy makes me want to get his BG under better control, but I also don’t want that worry to make me change course too quickly, especially because I do feel like we’re seeing progress with Lantus despite the bounces.
I talked to my vet about Regs’ BG and neuropathy, and she feels that Lantus isn’t working for him and wants to switch him to ProZinc. I really like and trust my vet, but I’m not sure I agree with her on this. His numbers are definitely still very bouncy, but I know bouncing can be part of the regulation process, especially while a cat is getting used to lower numbers.
I’ve also always understood Lantus as well as ProZinc are the gold-standards in insulins for cats, but I’m hesitant to give up on Lantus too soon. She even mentioned Vetsulin again, which I personally feel is a hard no for Regs since he was on it before.
My vet also mentioned that she thinks Regs may have another condition, such as Cushing’s, contributing to his numbers. This was brought up without any testing yet, so I’m honestly not sure what to think. She would like to refer us to an animal hospital here in Orlando for further testing, but appointments are months out and I’m not convinced yet that this is where the problem lies. Of course Regs will get any testing, treatment or support he needs, I just don’t want to put him through unnecessary testing if what we’re seeing could still be part of the normal regulation process.
My guess is she just does not have enough experience with diabetes (what I can't blame her, Vets need to know so much already) and thats why I am asking here.
I would really appreciate some experienced eyes on his spreadsheet. Does Regs actually look unusually difficult to regulate, or does this still look like part of the process with Lantus and bouncing? Would you switch to ProZinc or give Lantus more time?
His neuropathy makes me want to get his BG under better control, but I also don’t want that worry to make me change course too quickly, especially because I do feel like we’re seeing progress with Lantus despite the bounces.