Regs BG regulation & neuropathy advice

Britta and Regs

Member Since 2026
09/28 Regs AMPS 544 +6 455 PMPS 336 +1 361

Now that we’re back from vacation, I really want to focus on getting Regs BG into better numbers, especially because I’m worried about what looks like diabetic neuropathy in his hind legs.
He is currently on 2.25U Lantus. On this dose he recently dropped pretty quickly to 109 on my ReliOn, so I fed him because I was worried he might keep dropping. After that he had a huge bounce into the 500s. That makes me nervous about increasing based on his high numbers, especially if some of them are from bouncing.

At the same time, I really want to improve his overall BG because of his neuropathy. He still walks on his own, runs for treats and gets on his cat tree, but he walks lower in the back and sometimes a hind leg/foot slides outward.
A couple days ago I started Zobaline 3 mg/day, giving 1/2 tablet AM and 1/2 PM.

For those who have dealt with neuropathy: What else can I do to help him? Maybe a carpet? Is splitting the Zobaline okay? Would methyl-B12 injections be better than oral Zobaline? And how would you approach his BG when 2.25U can bring him to the low 100s, but he also has very high/bouncy cycles?
I’d also love to hear how long it took before you started seeing improvement in your kitty’s neuropathy
 
09/28 Regs AMPS 544 +6 455 PMPS 336 +1 361

Now that we’re back from vacation, I really want to focus on getting Regs BG into better numbers, especially because I’m worried about what looks like diabetic neuropathy in his hind legs.
He is currently on 2.25U Lantus. On this dose he recently dropped pretty quickly to 109 on my ReliOn, so I fed him because I was worried he might keep dropping. After that he had a huge bounce into the 500s. That makes me nervous about increasing based on his high numbers, especially if some of them are from bouncing.

At the same time, I really want to improve his overall BG because of his neuropathy. He still walks on his own, runs for treats and gets on his cat tree, but he walks lower in the back and sometimes a hind leg/foot slides outward.
A couple days ago I started Zobaline 3 mg/day, giving 1/2 tablet AM and 1/2 PM.

For those who have dealt with neuropathy: What else can I do to help him? Maybe a carpet? Is splitting the Zobaline okay? Would methyl-B12 injections be better than oral Zobaline? And how would you approach his BG when 2.25U can bring him to the low 100s, but he also has very high/bouncy cycles?
I’d also love to hear how long it took before you started seeing improvement in your kitty’s neuropathy
Give the Zobaline a try and see how he does.
I don’t know if there’s a shot for methylcobalamin.
Many people say the pills have helped (it didn’t help Ivy).
I hope you get some good answers Britta.

Hopefully as you get him to better BG, his neuropathy will improve 🍀🍀🍀🍀
 
Give the Zobaline a try and see how he does.
I don’t know if there’s a shot for methylcobalamin.
Many people say the pills have helped (it didn’t help Ivy).
I hope you get some good answers Britta.

Hopefully as you get him to better BG, his neuropathy will improve 🍀🍀🍀🍀
Thank you so much Staci 🥰 What are you doing with Ivy if she also has neuropathy? Or did it improve with her sugars?
I started Zobaline as soon as we came back from California but of course it will take some time.

Just don't know how I can get his glucose regulated that the neuropathy can improve 😥
 
Thank you so much Staci 🥰 What are you doing with Ivy if she also has neuropathy? Or did it improve with her sugars?
I started Zobaline as soon as we came back from California but of course it will take some time.

Just don't know how I can get his glucose regulated that the neuropathy can improve 😥
Ivy still has neuropathy. It doesn’t hinder her. But she walks on her hind hocks 😢
She jumps on sofas and does stairs just fine.

Just work on the BG and try the Zobaline (or you can but Vitacost B12 methylcobalamin capsules (500 mcg dose) and put in his food, it’s much cheaper.
See what happens 🙏
 
Crowley has neuropathy that started hindering him before I started insulin (I actually started him earlier than I was going to bc it got bad).

Even just lowering his glucose helped a lot, and I also give him a capsule of the b12 methyl and folic acid each day. I mix it in with his food. Talasseres probably gets some of it, but theres enough to stress about (hes also my picky boy so he usually waits for Crowley to eat the top layer with the supplements lmao)

I get the capsules from nutricost, which is where I get my creatine and unflavored protein powder from so im already familiar with them. They tend to have good value products.
 
Ivy still has neuropathy. It doesn’t hinder her. But she walks on her hind hocks 😢
She jumps on sofas and does stairs just fine.

Just work on the BG and try the Zobaline (or you can but Vitacost B12 methylcobalamin capsules (500 mcg dose) and put in his food, it’s much cheaper.
See what happens 🙏
Thanks so much. I will do another glucose curve on the weekend and will most likely go back to 2.5 units if the numbers tell me to.
I will look into the Vitacost, I knew about Zobaline and wanted to start as soon as possible with Regs but it really is a bit expensive. Maybe that is a good alternative :)

Regs is thankfully pretty unimpressed from his neuropathy and still climbs on the cat tree etc.
 
Crowley has neuropathy that started hindering him before I started insulin (I actually started him earlier than I was going to bc it got bad).

Even just lowering his glucose helped a lot, and I also give him a capsule of the b12 methyl and folic acid each day. I mix it in with his food. Talasseres probably gets some of it, but theres enough to stress about (hes also my picky boy so he usually waits for Crowley to eat the top layer with the supplements lmao)

I get the capsules from nutricost, which is where I get my creatine and unflavored protein powder from so im already familiar with them. They tend to have good value products.
Thank you so much Liz! It actually makes me feel better hearing that Crowley’s neuropathy improved just from getting his glucose lower. I just started Reagan on Zobaline too. I’m just struggling with how to get his glucose under better control since his numbers are all over the place.

I’ll have to look into the Nutricost B12 too, I heard Zobaline is good but so expensive
 
Thanks so much. I will do another glucose curve on the weekend and will most likely go back to 2.5 units if the numbers tell me to.
I will look into the Vitacost, I knew about Zobaline and wanted to start as soon as possible with Regs but it really is a bit expensive. Maybe that is a good alternative :)

Regs is thankfully pretty unimpressed from his neuropathy and still climbs on the cat tree etc.
When you check into the Vitacost brand, check here with other members for correct dosing.
Zobaline is 3 mg (3000 mcg dose).
*So you may want to check the Vitacost dose (they sell a 500 mcg and a 5000 mcg bottle).

I’m glad he’s not bothered by the neuropathy! 🥰
 
The unflavored Vitacost methyl B12 has been out of stock everywhere for awhile now. There might be similar products. Methyl B12

If you use methyl B12, it's recommended to add folic acid to it so it's more similar to Zobaline.

posted by @Diane Tyler's Mom GA

the Vitacost brand another member told me about
Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules

Same as Zobaline , but the Zobaline is so expensive as you know
This is the same thing
The only difference is the Zobaline has 200 mcgs of folic acid
So I bought the folic acid at the supermarket and crush it up and added it to the Vitacost brand
If you can't find the 200 mcg get the 400 mcg and cut it in half and crush it up and add it, some members didn't even add the folic acid and the neuropathy improved
The Vitacost brand is a capsule so just open it and pour the powder on the wet food
Has no taste, no need to crush it up, I still give it to Tyler every now and then and he has never tasted it in his food , I always add water to his food and just stir up the methyl B-12 good
I switched to the vitacost brand because the zobaline was too expensive,
Even though the vitacost brand is 5000 mcgs and the zobaline is 3000 mcgs
What they don't need they will pee out because it's water soluble.

The Zobaline is expensive for 60 pills, 30.00 some other places want 33.00
I used to use the Zobaline when I joined, then a member told me about the Vitacost brand .

It took about 2 months for Tyler to get back to walking normal, jumping on to the couch, running around
But every few weeks I did see a slight improvement
Some members didn't even add the folic acid to the vitacost brand and it still helped and the neuropathy was gone
 
Back
Top