? quick question about carb content in wet food

Morna & Hester Sue (GA)

Member Since 2026
I looked through the stickies, but if this info is there I missed it.

Do we base the carbs on as-fed or an dry matter basis?

For example, the pecentage of carbohydrates in fancy feast gravy lovers beef feast in gravy pate cat food is listed as 0.9% as-fed, but 18% on a dry-matter basis.

I am labelling cans for hypo vs regular feeding.
 
I looked through the stickies, but if this info is there I missed it.

Do we base the carbs on as-fed or an dry matter basis?

For example, the pecentage of carbohydrates in fancy feast gravy lovers beef feast in gravy pate cat food is listed as 0.9% as-fed, but 18% on a dry-matter basis.

I am labelling cans for hypo vs regular feeding.
carb %s are based on dry matter carbs, most but not all gravy foods are high carbs, there is a Medleys Chicken Fare in a savory sauce that is 4.5% carbs, Trout also has a gravy like 4% in case you do not have a food list, link below, the third column contains the carb %
0-10% low carbs
11-15% medium carbs
16-24% high carbs
http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm
 
Thank you.

I find going through the lists hard, but looking up the food i have on hand works a little better. I also have lists of foods to keep an eye out for
 
Correction, we are looking for %calories from carbohydrates. You can do that from either the as-fed or DMB. More information in this post: Calculating % Calories from Carbohydrates The post includes an example how DMB and as-fed carbs can differ a lot in a single product, but still be meaningless as it's the %calories from carbs you want.
 
Correction, we are looking for %calories from carbohydrates. You can do that from either the as-fed or DMB. More information in this post: Calculating % Calories from Carbohydrates The post includes an example how DMB and as-fed carbs can differ a lot in a single product, but still be meaningless as it's the %calories from carbs you want.
Thanks. Oof. So much for all he cans I wrote on.
 
I’d recommend looking through this link, which provides the ME profiles (% of calories from fat, carbs, protein) for all the foods on the list. It also provides phosphorus and sodium. I think the list started for CKD cats, but expanded to diabetics and ingredient limited diets as well.

The first few links are mainly foods for CKD cats, but a few rows down the link “CKD Diabetes Food List” includes low-carb and low to moderate phosphorus wet foods.

Feline CKD Food Lists
 
I’d recommend looking through this link, which provides the ME profiles (% of calories from fat, carbs, protein) for all the foods on the list. It also provides phosphorus and sodium. I think the list started for CKD cats, but expanded to diabetics and ingredient limited diets as well.

The first few links are mainly foods for CKD cats, but a few rows down the link “CKD Diabetes Food List” includes low-carb and low to moderate phosphorus wet foods.

Feline CKD Food Lists
Thanks. I was at a friend's house on Friday and she printed the diabetes/CKD list out for me. I have gone in and highlighted the reds and greens and will be taking it to town when I go tomorrow to see what i can find.

I was surprised to see a Costco Kirkland brand canned food on the list and am arranging to go with a neighbor who has a membership to see about that one. Except it's Costco, and if the cats don't like it i will have a lot of food they won't eat.
 
Thanks. I was at a friend's house on Friday and she printed the diabetes/CKD list out for me. I have gone in and highlighted the reds and greens and will be taking it to town when I go tomorrow to see what i can find.

I was surprised to see a Costco Kirkland brand canned food on the list and am arranging to go with a neighbor who has a membership to see about that one. Except it's Costco, and if the cats don't like it i will have a lot of food they won't eat.
LOL, that’s what I did too! I made red, yellow, and green categories for her and went through and highlighted brands i knew were sold near me. (I found out some of her favourite foods unfortunately I found out were higher in carbs or phosphorus, but I wanted to keep them on standby in the event that she loses her appetite for some reason)

In that same link if you scroll a bit further down, they also have the nutritional info for all Weruva brand foods, regardless of carb or phosphorus content.

if I remember correctly, if you go into the “Forums” tab here and go into “Think Tank”, there’s also a spreadsheet made by a member here that is more targeted towards diabetics and it has other brands on it that the CKD list doesn’t have. That one was another helpful resource but I totally forgot abut it until I read your reply! Sorry :<
 
I was surprised to see a Costco Kirkland brand canned food on the list and am arranging to go with a neighbor who has a membership to see about that one. Except it's Costco, and if the cats don't like it i will have a lot of food they won't eat.

been there, when you think a cat will like the food so you order it in bulk to save money, and then the cat changes their mind and you’re stuck with tons of it 💔 if you can, take a look around the costco and see if they have a multi flavour pack of the foods, that way if they don’t like it, you’re not stuck with as much of it to get rid of
 
Back
Top