Question regarding freeze dried raw food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PatSlater, Jul 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatSlater

PatSlater New Member

We are thinking about switching to freeze dried raw food for our newly diagnosed cat. He was diagnosed 2 months ago and is currently on 3 units of pro zinc twice a day. We are feeding him strictly high protein low carb canned foods, but our vet said there is a higher chance of remission if we fed him cooked or raw. I’m not comfortable with raw, however was looking into the freeze dried raw, or some commercial cooked food. We have ordered a glucose meter for home testing. Wondering if anyone is feeding their sugar baby a freeze dried or commercial cooked diet.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I fed China a commercial frozen raw for many years until the government murdered their business (RadCat) and then I switched to another frozen raw called Darwin's. There's also Primal and Nature's Instinct that have frozen raw foods (I think they also have some freeze dried raw foods). Stella & Chewy's is another popular freeze dried raw food.

You can also make your own using a recipe like the one on Dr. Lisa's website (she discusses both raw and "slightly cooked" foods)

Then there are pre-mixes you can use that add the necessary ingredients to make any protein into a complete diet like EZ Complete that just requires water and protein, or Alnutrin

There are lots of freeze dried raw foods available too but you want to make sure you add the water to re-hydrate it. Cats are supposed to get their water from food so although it's OK to give freeze dried raw as a treat (without re-hydrating), it's important to use it with water if you're using it as the main diet.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Stella & Chewy's has a freeze dried raw and ZiwiPeak has an air dried raw. I agree with Chris -- add water if you are going to use a dried variety. I actually add water to all food -- even my home made raw. Cat's do not have a large thirst drive and water is good for their kidneys. In addition, diabetes is hard on the kidneys so whatever you can do to promote kidney health is a good thing.

4. PatSlater

PatSlater New Member

Thank you very much for the information and input. I didn’t think about adding water to refreeze dried, but I definitely will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.