Question about maintaining dosage, even when numbers begin to get lower.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shell, Mar 23, 2024.

1. Shell

Shell Member

I finally got a reading in the hundreds this afternoon. I talked with the Vet a few days ago and she echoed what was said here. We agreed to go with 1.25 (or 1.2) before making any decisions to raise the dose.

If and when he tests in the lower 200's, or even 100's I have always been afraid to give him the full dose, if any. But, as I learn more about Glargine (Lantus), it isn't supposed to be administered based off of how the cat is feeling at the time because it is shooting for later on, I think.

So... My hypothetical questions please? If anyone knows - If/when he will test at say 190 or 200, he should still get the full dose that was used to lower him from the high 400's? I don't understand. If it has the power to lower him to normal from the high 400's, wouldn't it keep lowering him below normal numbers? OR, would it lower his high numbers and level his low numbers instead of causing them to be unsafe?

I asked because I won't be up all night worrying that something might go wrong, if I understand.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    @Wendy&Neko
    Thank you ladies

Shell likes this.
  4. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

I can say from my own personal experience with Lantus, and if you look at other caregivers’ spreadsheets, that’s really not how Lantus works. When you see a 200 point drop from preshot, let’s say keeping it simple, from 400 down to 200 by +6, that does not mean that when you start with a preshot of 200, it will drop by 200 points. As the preshots come down, the cycles actually will tend to flatten out.

Suzanne & Darcy and Shell like this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad you are going to hold the dose at 1.25 units. With SLGS, you need to hold the dose for a week, unless they go under 90.

And I echo what Christie said. Lantus is great at keeping low number flat and lower. I found it much easier to predict what a cycle would do with a lower preshot than a high one.

Suzanne & Darcy and Shell like this.
  6. Shell

Shell Member

@Wendy&Neko and @Christie & Maverick

Thank you so much! That is a question that has caused me such anxiety over what to do at dosage time. And, I have the answer now. Thank you!! :bighug::cat:

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Shell --

I want to echo what Christie and Wendy said. You may also want to consider posting on the Lantus board. Not only is there a wealth of experience there but it's easier to identify spreadsheets of people who are using Lantus (glargine) with their cats.

Shell and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  8. Shell

Shell Member

Thanks for the tip. :bighug: Love this forum.