Prayers Pls - Saoirse Intraocular Bleed - SUNDAY UPDATE: Nausea Reduced, Eating Again, Eyelids Puffy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Critter Mom, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Thanks:) It's heartwarming that you're still looking out for all of us as you're going through this:bighug:
    Trying to establish his patterns as they keep changing, and it seemed simpler than analyzing it everytime I have a dosing decision to make. I've recently come to the conclusion that he really likes to be in the low 50's! Spooky at first but I got used to it, and a recent vet visit informed me that's approx. equal to 80-90 lab value. So doesn't seem as bad and he feels noticeably better when he's under 60.

I'm glad Saoirse is a good patient. I think they really know we are doing good for them:)

I hope you can get some sleep tonight. More prayers coming. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

@Mum of two felines -

What wonderful progress! :) Just had a quick gander at their spreadsheets: my, what an improvement from a week and a half ago! (And a lot better for your stress levels.) Buzz is looking very promising (anti-jinx, anti-jinx). It will be interesting to see whether Woody starts to coast downward as a result of the switch to low carb wet food. Good news about the new vet, too. If Woody still needs a nudge after the transition I'd suggest asking your new vet about a longer-acting, gentler insulin like Lantus for him. Lantus doesn't drop the BG like a rock and tends to produce much smoother curves. It would enable you to continue to give insulin to Woody safely and give his pancreas a little more time to rest and heal. I did similar with Saoirse (switched from Caninsulin to Lantus). I look forward to seeing how my little furry wards get on in the coming weeks, and I'm glad I was able to help you a little. Thank you again for helping me. :bighug:

Like the avatar piccie. Who are we seeing?

Mogs

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  3. Mum of two felines

Mum of two felines Member

That is Woody. I've been trying to get a together shot but Buzz doesn't like to be in a picture with Woody. Today they were actually wrestling. It's been months since either of them has had the energy to do that,

4. Critter Mom

Brief update:

Saoirse just had a little wobble with eating but I think it might be that she can't taste food properly with the drops. Solved with a crumbled FDC treat, thankfully.

On the good news front, managed to get enough drops of urine to do a ketone test. Negative. And may it stay that way - been a bit worried with the trio having been in place yesterday. Won't be sure all is clear for a few days. Will test again tomorrow. I will feel better when I take delivery of the ketone meter. Much less stressful for Saoirse than having the plastic in her litter box; she's already a bit nervous visiting it due to the sight issues.

Mogs

5. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

What a lovely update on Saoirse's appetite and how she's feeling. I'm so glad you've been able to get some sleep and that you were able to speak to your regular vet to clarify the situation with the amlodipine. Hopefully once she's been tested at home, you won't need to put her back on it - these medications do save lives, but the side effects can be difficult to deal with too. I think occasional wobbles with food will happen while she's still not 100%, but as long as she's making progress overall it's easier to cope with especially when she can be persuaded to eat with a treat.

A huge YAY for no ketones - that's one less worry for you. It's fortunate that she's never been prone to ketones - it's always a worry when there's an infection, but so far so good. :)

Hugs and healing vines for Saoirse's eye to settle down even more soon and for that swelling to go down - I'm sure you'll feel better once she looks back to normal. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

more hugs and healing vibrations :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Was just checking in wave.gif and so very pleased to see your reports of some improvement for both of you and HURRAH for negative ketones! Such a relief for you! Another delivery of prayers, hugs and scritches on it's way! :)

jayla-n-Drevon and Critter Mom like this.
  8. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA) Member

Mogs,

So relieved to see that you both are finally receiving a bit of a break in the midst of the madness. It doesn't matter that you are thousands of miles away, you and your cat have touched my heart here in Indiana. In fact, you have reminded me to appreciate these precious, calm and non-eventful moments by brushing Peek-a-Boo's face with and old makeup brush for eyebrows :) He only lets me do it while he sleeps. It even helps to clean away the dried food bits on his face..lol. I know when you are going through scary times, it's the everyday normalcy that you long for.

Thank you for sharing and keeping us posted...see what tomorrow brings :cat:

Dawn:bighug:

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

@jayla and @MrWorfMen's Mom -

Thank you so much for checking in on us and for sending us more hugs, scritches, prayers and healing vibes. We need all of them we can get and we appreciate them so much.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  10. TabbyCat2016

TabbyCat2016 Member

You are in my prayers.

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Critter Mom

As have you and your oh-so-special little one touched mine, Dawn.

There is something I would very much like to share with you. Saoirse was blessed with the most beautiful eyes; you just couldn't help losing yourself in them. When our vet was examining Saoirse's eye on Friday morning it was agonisingly painful to see one of those beautiful eyes all clouded. :( We don't know yet what's going on and there may be a possibility that her sight in that eye could be threatened. I'd be a liar if I were to say that some of the possibilities don't make me very distressed and sad for what may lie ahead for my darling girl but in the midst of all my worry and sadness thoughts of you and Peek-a-Boo came to me and it gave me hope that, come what may, Saoirse and myself will cope. I can't thank you enough for sharing your stories. :bighug: And I love Peek-a-Boo's new avatar picture. :cat:

Mogs

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  12. Critter Mom

And you're in mine. I've seen your thread and I am desperately sorry you lost your little one. I have some idea of what you are going through and my heart truly does go out to you. When another living being touches your soul like that the loss is utterly devastating and excruciatingly painful. I will post on your thread tomorrow but for now, I want you to hang on to one thought: For every single moment the two of you shared, your little one was completely surrounded by your love and she will have known she was safe and secure in your love. You could not have given her a greater gift.

It means a great deal to me that, in the midst of your intense grief, you came to help me and my little one. I won't forget that to you. And I'm glad you found us.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

13. TabbyCat2016

TabbyCat2016 Member

Mogs,

Thank you so much for your reply as you go through a hard time yourself. I can relate to any pain anyone goes through with their beloved animals. I really pray for you and your loved ones.

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

I'm so happy to hear some good news. It's such a relief when they start eating on their own isn't it. The first time Buttons ate after her surgery I burst into tears, but they were happy, thankful tears. Looking forward to hearing even better news soon.

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

Been thinking of you and Saoirse. Saying prayers for you. Take care.

Critter Mom likes this.
  16. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Ok call me a looney tune, but I can only see spreadsheet for 2014? Whatever am I doing wrong? I'm looking for pages, etc...doh....

17. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Mogs,

I was thinking of you when I got up this morning and I just wanted to check in. So glad to hear that Saoirse was able to give you a bit of urine to check for ketones. I know what a worry that is when they are already feeling ill. I hope that you were able to get some sleep with that one stress off you!

Please make sure you are taking care of yourself as well as Saoirse. I know you've been a wonderful mama bean to her, but it's important that you make sure you're getting some sleep when you can, and eating something even when you're not feeling hungry. Just something small and light...but make sure you are taking care!

Sending you and Saoirse tons of healing green light and good vines...as well as the hugs and chin scritches!

Critter Mom likes this.
  18. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Good morning Mogs, just checking in on you and sweet Saoirse. Hope you're both doing well. Still sending prayers, healing vines and lots of :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

If she has recurrent eye issues or sneezing/cold symptoms consider feline herpes as a cause. FH is a really common cause of eye ulcers as well. Lysine is very good at preventing and reducing flare ups.

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. Critter Mom

@Meya14 - Thank you for your post and the information. She had major problems with sneezing this time last year and was put on Piriton for it. Also, one day around the same time her eye seemed to be a bit irritated one day but it was OK I noticed her I noticed her eye (the currently affected eye) wasn't as open as usual but it was OK shortly after (within about an hour or so) so I thought she had just had a bit of dust in it and her normal lubricating tears had cleared it. I didn't suspect anything. :(

How might Saoirse have contracted FH?

Mogs

21. Critter Mom

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for checking in on us and sorry that I can't reply to you all right now. We're having another rough and scary day here. Will post an update on a new thread later today. Please keep the prayers and healing thoughts coming for my baby. She needs them and I am beyond grateful to you all for being there for us.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

22. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

Sorry to hear that this day isn't the best. But be assured we're all still praying and sending positive thoughts your way. Hugs... tons of them!

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

They haven't stopped since Thursday night Mogs. The two of you will get through this. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Ohhh Mogs! So sorry to hear it's another rough day. Wish there was more we could do to help you out! Sending a heap of healing thoughts and prayers! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: for you both.

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

I think most cats get FH when young, from parents or housemates, or from other cats if outside. Spreads through grooming/sneezing/saliva. I suspect my cats have been exposed because Jane sometimes has flares - watery eyes and sneezing. Maybe once or twice a year she gets them. Some cats never seem to have flares, some cats have terrible symptoms especially when first infected, probably all depends on the immune system. Use of steroids can precipitate flares.

Critter Mom likes this.
  26. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

They never stopped Mogs, but more headed your way right now. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. Critter Mom

Meya - thank you for your reply. Saoirse doesn't have such a history other than the sneezing episode last year. She may be having trouble smelling her food at the moment, or it may be nausea (she has diarrhoea again today); I need to get her to lick some juice from the food off my fingers to get her going but then she eats OK (anti-jinx, anti-jinx). I wonder whether this is due to the Isathal/tropicamide?

Too many things in flux: not great when a kitty has chronic pancreatitis. :(

Mogs

28. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Mogs, when there's eye issues, the leaked fluid will be brownish-red. It's not blood. Doc has eye herpes - when he has a flare, his eye leaks reddish-brown fluid often. It looks awful but it's not as worrying as it looks...

HUGS,

Critter Mom likes this.
  29. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Mogs, sorry today has not been the best. We all are thinking get well thoughts all the time. - Debby

PS: I surely don't expect a separate reply. Please keep the stress down and just thank us all in one post! We understand.

Diana&Tom and Critter Mom like this.
  30. Critter Mom

Thank you for this, Lyresa. I asked the vet about it (kept the swab to show him); he was concerned but didn't have anything much to offer by way of explanation. I don't know what I would do without everyone here; I have somewhere to go to get real-world, practical experience of treating and managing feline health problems. My vets can't answer all the questions I have but at least I can get some answers here or avenues to explore. My heart goes out to people who don't have such a wonderful, knowledgeable and caring community to help them. :(

31. Critter Mom

Thanks for this, Debbie. You're all in my heart and I want to reply to everyone separately - I wish I was able to.

Mogs

Maggies Mom Debby likes this.
  32. Critter Mom

PS ... I hope everyone knows that I click 'Like' to say "Thank you!"

33. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I had a ShihTzu with severe eye issues her whole life. She was born with ridges across her left eye. That eye leaked most days. When it was really clean, the fluid was clear but if the air was dusty at all, the wind outside was strong when she went to handle her business or it just got dry and irritated, fluid would be brownish. Doc's is the same way...

Critter Mom likes this.
  34. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

And you, Mogs, are part of that "wonderful, knowledgeable and caring community"! You've offered up a huge amount of information and caring, yourself. We don't know what we'd do without you, either.

35. Critter Mom

(((Carol)))

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

36. Critter Mom

37. Critter Mom

(I'm taking the 911 down on this thread but I may put one up on the new thread later depending on how things go this evening.)

38. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Mogs, thinking of you and Saoirse and wondering how she is doing today. Hopefully each day has been an improvement. :bighug:

So sorry, I just saw that you started a new thread today on her. I will read and continue to send you Reiki.

39. Critter Mom

Thank you so much, Bobbie. :bighug:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  40. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

I don't know if my civvie Sunny has the ridge but he always has brown crusties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.