Poe's Numbers- Advice Please -

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KarensPoe, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: Poe's Numbers - Advice Please

If he goes lower, I would skip the shot tonight. You don't have enough data yet to shoot this low, I don't think.
    Let's just see where he goes without feeding.

2. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Well, if he goes higher, we'll know if it's a "rising number" and can consider the option of shooting .25u. (If you don't shoot, you run the risk that he just keeps climbing higher to his next shot time.)

If he stays the same or goes lower, then we don't want to shoot tonight's shot, which means you might have to learn how to shot drops of insulin. But, this can also be a good thing and a sign his pancreas is trying really really hard to do the work.

Thanks, Dyana, for helping out with the dosing. :D

3. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

30 min after PMPS is 112

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I still consider his numbers to be dropping even if they don't seem to be at the moment. In the interest of safety, and the way he reacted off the 0.25 dose this morning, and the lack of any data shooting this low, I would skip tonight.

I too was thinking of maybe having you try a 0.1 dose next.

You can go ahead and feed your boy.

5. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

ok thank you and he thanks you immensely...lol

And how do you do that low of a dose? how do I get a drop in the syringe? ugh

6. Simon'sMommy

Simon'sMommy Well-Known Member

Just wanted to check in on Poe and on you. You are doing a great job! Sounds like he really is trying to get his pancreas working on its own. I am so glad that people with experience are here helping you. Best to you and your baby. Hoping to see your OTJ post sometime in the near future. Such great numbers! :smile: :smile:

7. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

I can't thank you all enough for holding my hand through this...it's such a scarey thing to have something like this happen and be alone. It's just him and I and being able to come here and be guided by those who know exactly what I'm going through is a God send.

He's eating now and has been such a good boy through all this. He sees the lancet and every thing in my hand and will still come to me when I call him. His poor lil ears are bruised and holey, but he still lays pretty still when I poke him and work out the bead (although thats not such an issue anymore, he bleeds wells if I poke right).

So...do I need to test anymore tonight or just wait for the AMPS?

Thank you all again...sending grateful hugs to all

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

If you could get a test 3 to 4 hours after eating that would be good.

I measure 0.1 by having the top of the plunger just barely touching the bottom of the zero line on the syringe. Others may have different ideas for you. Let's see how he does tonight and tomorrow.

9. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

wow are we having fun yet?

heres how 0.1IU looks :
    [​IMG]

and 0.25 for comparison:
    [​IMG]

10. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

I wasnt able to get the syringes with the 1/2 u markings, so I had to eyeball this morning and will do so again. I have a good idea of the .25 so we are going 1/2 of that now?

11. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

I think that's what dyana is saying. Maybe just pull the syringe so it just passes the zero line?

12. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

ok thats what I was thinking too...might take a few tries lol

13. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Well as long as you don't practice on Poe.... ;)

14. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

LOL nuuuu poor guy has been poked and pinched enough...this is true unconditional love :D

15. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

PMBG +4 is at 157 Seems he's holding good? He finished his dinner over 2 hours ago.

Will test in the morning and post with a 911 for advice, but am prepared for the .1

Thanks and have a good night everyone...Poe and I are off to dreamland

16. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

His AMPS/BG is 144

Feed and shoot .1?

Thanks

17. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I have to log off to go to work, so won't be back for 11 hours.

I would give the 0.1 dose if you can get a couple tests in today, and if you have to leave can leave some food out for him. I don't know if you have another cat that will eat all the food if you leave it out for Poe.

If you decide to give the dose, please be sure it is only 0.1 and not 1.0 unit, and get a +2 test if you can, and post the number here. If he is going down at +2 and you have to leave, then I would leave some higher carb food out, like a medium carb (Fancy Feast Medleys or their Roasted varieties, or mix a little HC with a litte LC). If he is the same or higher and you have to leave I would just leave some extra LC out for him.

Have a good day.

18. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Have you any Neosporin ointment with pain relief or generic? You apply a small dab a few minutes before testing, then wipe off at test time, to reduce the annoyance of being pricked, plus it helps the blood bead up. A small dab wiped in after testing will help it heal.

19. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

I have been applying a dab of it after every test. I think they are just sore and very sensitive right now, but he still doesn't fight me when I poke him.

20. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Good morning! Are you getting a +1 or +2?

Dont worry about the bruising.. it will heal and it will get better as you get better at it. I still get a little bit of bruising sometimes but its been a year and does no harm ..

21. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

AMPS +2 is 276

Im heading out the door. I will leave him extra LC food to snack on. I'll check this post when I get to work in about 20 min or so, will leave at 911 for now and remove when I get to work.

I also gave him his inhaled steroid after the test.

Thank YOu

22. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Basic rule of thumb with lantus

If +2 is a lot more than pre-shot, than it's probably going to be an inactive cycle.
    If +2 is similar to pre-shot, it's likely to be an active cycle.
    If +2 is much less than pre-shot, it's likely to be a VERY active cycle.
    BUT, there is that ECID thing. :shock: and kitties can surprise us and not follow the rules.

With this basic rule of thumb, do you understand why we keep suggesting you get those +2 tests? :D

Your +2 was much higher than the pre-shot, so it is probably going to be an inactive cycle.

23. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

Yes and no...lol...I am hoping that inactive cycle means his pancreas is working better. It seems that just when I think I'm getting an understanding, it changes, and I'm lost again.

I'm also a bit concerned with the dosing..not that it's too small or large...it seems to be working good for him...but I'm at a .1 now...and struggling to get that precise in the syringe, but even that I can handle. It's the what if I have to go lower that I'm worried about...or is there nothing lower at this point?

24. Deb & Wink

There is something lower than the 0.1, the some insulin or one drop, And then an OTJ trial. You are no where near that point yet. We need to get consistent numbers, down in the greens and blues only before we would even consider that.

We are seeing healing numbers but still some yellows on the SS so we have not reached that point of no insulin.

You will need to learn to shoot low numbers more quickly then some folks do. That is why the data gathering stage you are in, taking all those tests, is so important right now. We need to know what Poe's patterns are on the dosing he is getting. All those tests you are doing are so that you are "data ready" for shooting low. If you do not have enough data yet, you may need to skip a shot. Skipping means a step back and tehn two steps forward.

You may be nearing the point where you need to start posting over in TR, just to get those more experienced eyes on your spreadsheet.

25. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

Spoke with my vet..all is good...I invited her to come here and look at Poe's spreadsheet and gave her highlights of the past few days, along with the past 2 days work of numbers/shot doses.

She wants me to decrease his inhaled steroid to once every 24 hours instead of every 12 hours. So, my plan on that is to give it to him as a morning dose after i have tested him AMPS and then AMPS +2, since I am unable to get another test in after that during the week.

She feels it might be affecting his numbers some, but nothing significant.

I have the prescription I need for the syringes with 1/2 unit markings, which I didn't know, and the fact that Walmart pharmacy was closing down for "lunch" just as I got there, so I will try again today to get them.

I looked for the TR Board, but wasn't able to locate it.

26. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

27. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

AMPS + 10 is 329. I had left him some of the normal LC food, which he did eat a bit of, but I don't know what time, so would that play on this number?

edited to change HC to LC

28. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

AMPS +11 316. Im' not sure how to dose him in an hour. Do I still give him the .1? I have about 1/2 hour before I have to test/feed/dose...

29. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The pre-shot glucose level is not used to adjust the Lantus dose, unless it is low enough that there would be concern about the shot taking the glucose level too low.

If you give the exact same dose of Lantus (0.1 units) about every 12 hours, for at least 3 days (6 shots), the nadir (lowest post shot value) is used to adjust the shot. Just hold it steady for another 5 shots of the same amount as long as he is safe to shoot and check the nadir at that time.

30. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: Poe's Numbers- Advice Please -Dose Due in 1/2 Hour Need

I agree. Stick with the 0.1 dose for 3 days, and see how it goes.
    Did you get the syringes, today?

31. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

No..got stuck late at work...going to stop tomorrow. I followed your advice about the plunger touching the 0 line and it was OK..even at 6 am I did ok.

32. Deb & Wink

Hi Karen,

What is Poe's latest BG number and at what time did you do that test?

Ok, I see a 342 on your spreadsheet for PMPS.

You want to give that same 0.1U dose as you did this morning.

Yes, the numbers are high, but we dose based on the nadir, or mid-cycle numbers, not the pre-shot.

33. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

I gave him the .1 after I fed him. What will be the best time to test for the nadir number?

I can't get the test in during the day...but will get one tonight...just need to know how many hours after dose

34. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

he is pretty high - 2 hours or maybe 3. almost looks like he is bouncing off a late low last night.

35. Deb & Wink

Lantus has an onset, or starts to work around hour +2 or +3.

Most cats have a nadir around +5 to +7, somewhere in between those two numbers.

Would you please get a +2 test this evening so we can see how Poe is doing then?

Then, a test before you go to sleep would be good, what we call a before bed test.

If you are willing to set your alarm to wake you around +6 tonight, that could give us some very useful information. None of us like getting up in the middle of the night to test our cats, but sometimes it is needed.

If he is bouncing off a late low from last night like Wendy said ( I think so too), then that +6 time tonight would be very good to get a test.

36. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

There will be about an hour difference between the before I go to bed number and the +6...should I still do both?

37. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Up to you but I would just do the +6, esp since we dont have one of those yet !

38. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

OK I'll do the +2 and the +6 and post them

39. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Ok but you are starting to understand this - if the +2 is the same or signifcantly lower than preshot you may want to do more tests

40. Deb & Wink

Remember this from earlier in your post today from Dyana?

So in the morning, you'll want to give that same 0.1U dose, UNLESS the BG is < 200. if under 200, then test, do not feed, do not shoot, post here for help, test again in 30 minutes.

41. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

PMPS +2 is 319

42. Deb & Wink

PMPS 342 to 319 at +2 = 23 point difference. Flat cat as we would say. Numbers almost the same.

Still get that +6 please.

43. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

I would put $ on a moderately active cycle according to debs logic. You'll want that +6

44. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

I will definitely get the +6...and post as soon as I have it

Thank you all very much..I'm still trying to understand all this...I appreciate your patience too :)

45. Deb & Wink

Please, ask all the questions you want. If we haven't explained the "Whys" sufficiently, let us know and we will try to state the reason slightly differently.

Someone helped us in the beginning. We are paying it forward.

p.s. And what time, central time, would that +6 be?

46. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

I think she shoots around 4pm CST.. so 10?

47. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

its about in an hour...will be 11:30 cst. I try to get him am dose by 5:30 or 6 am

48. Deb & Wink

Way past my bedtime. The kitty alarm starts at break of dawn. Night all.

49. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

LOL for me too...but he gets to sleep the whole day too hahha

50. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

I will...I guess I'm not even sure of the questions yet...I was understanding...then the dosage change kinda threw me off...and with all the testing now...I'm still trying to understand...I know it has to do with finding the perfect dose for him for every 12 hours...

I think I'm just kinda worn...being new...changes everyday...afraid of leaving him alone...just alot to take in.

But thanks...and when my head clears a bit I'm sure I'll get a grip on it all better

51. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

PMPS +6 is 246

52. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

AMPS is 169 ...no food no shoot

53. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

The number is dropping, but I think it's safe to give the 0.1 dose, and then feed him. If it's been 30 minutes since the last test, go ahead and test him again. His BG numbers should rise once he's eaten, and the new dose of Lantus won't start having it's affect until around +2. I have to log off in a few minutes to go to work. Let me know if you have any questions.

54. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

AMPS + .5 is 180

55. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

OK feeding him now...shooting the .1 in a few . I need to get going for work also, will a AMPS +2 be needed this morning?
    Thanks

56. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm glad he's going up, so you feel more secure.
    If you can get a +2 that would be good, but if you can't, just get an out the door test, if possible.

Leave a nice bit of LC food out for him.

Have a good day!

57. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

I did a AMPS +1.25, wrote the number down at home, can't remember it, but it was under 200.

Left him some LC to snack on.

I am hoping to get better data this weekend with the new dose, filling in the blanks that I have to leave all week. There might be a day during the week that I can sneak home for lunch to get a test...that should put me around the AMPS +6...I might be able to do that tomorrow.

Thanks ...have a good day everyone :D

58. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

I just did at AMPS +10 (more like +10.25) at a 295.

I am sure I will be shooting him the .1 after PMPS and dinner.

59. Deb & Wink

Sounds like Poe did well today while you were away at work, slaving away to buy him some new toys. ;-)

60. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

lol I think so too...this weekend Im going to find him new treats. I have to look at the recommended ones. hopefully we will have an uneventful night

61. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

PMPS was 308 fed, dosed .10...settled for the night...unless a test is recommended at any time?

62. Deb & Wink

If you would make that before bed test a regular part of your routine for a while, that would be good.

Hope you get Poe some good treats. Does he like the freeze dried chicken?

63. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

I'm sure he would...where do I get them? and yes, I will get that before bed test...that will be like PMPS +5 or so

64. Deb & Wink

Sometimes, Wal-Mart has the freeze dried chicken treats, get the big bag from the dog food aisle. They are bigger pieces and I just break them up into smaller, corn kernel size bites. My Wal-Mart never has them in stock. :cry:

You can try Petsmart or Petco. Anything that is pure protein would be a good treat. Use for test times and for shot times.

I have a little specialty dog/cat place where I can get pure protein treats. Otherwise, I mail order.

The PureBites freeze dried chicken are good.
    I've tried the Halo Liv-a-Little freeze Dried chicken which crumble easily over food. I use these when Wink is being picky about eating.
    The Whole Life freeze dried liver treats are super crumbly.

All three of my cats like these treats now, even the two civies Monet and Delta.

65. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

I have some Natures' Valley Instinct Raw Chicken bites that are frozen. Was wondering if anyone ever used/ or recommends these?

Thanks

66. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

PMPS +4 is 295

AMPS is 314...feeding now...
    .10 dose after that

67. Simon'sMommy

Simon'sMommy Well-Known Member

We bought the dog treats too and we crumble them into smaller bites. We use the Pure bites. Bought the beef liver and the chicken. He does not seem to care for the liver..sigh, a waste of 18 bucks but at least we got the chicken for half price when we bought the other ones (buy one get second for 50% off at Petco) so it is not too bad and maybe he will change his mind down the road. You are doing great! Anything that is pure meat will be good for kitty as the high protein content is good.

68. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

whats the ingredients in " Natures' Valley Instinct Raw Chicken bites"? if its just 100% chicken then go for it. Look for grains, wheat, flour etc.

Also I am not sure this dose is working - might need to tweak it up a little. But at this point I think it would be a good idea for you to start posting on the tight regulation forumhttp://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=9 . This is for users like yourself that are getting experienced but need help with dosing. The forum is a great sense of community. Most members post there frequently, many daily- including me. Experienced members will go in and review your every post and advise on dosing -its very helpful!.

Before you do this though you might want to set up a profile - http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79123

Heres how to post
    Every day ( or as often as you can) you open a new thread/post. We call them "condos"
    - The subject has the date/cats name and BG readings ie 05/31 Poe AMPS 314 +4 259. You add a ? icon if you have a question. You can update your subject as you get a reading, or whenever

- The contents of your post have a quick update on how Poe is feeling as regards the 5Ps ( peeing. pooing, preening, playing and purring) and any questions ie : Today Poe was in a good mood, playing and eating well. But he is peeing a lot. Should I increase the dose?

For your first post put "newbie" also in your subject so everyone can welcome you! And you are of course welcome to keep posting here .

Wendy

69. Deb & Wink

If that is the Nature's Variety (not valley) then I think that is the one that has a lot of vegetables and fruits in it? May be too high in carb for your diabetic cat. Using my carb calculator, I got 34% carb on a dry matter basis.

70. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

I was thinking the same thing. His number is pretty high now close to dose time. Will I be going back up to the .25?

I've updated my profile, and will get over to that board hopefully this afternoon.

I will be stopping to get the freeze dried chicken today. I hope to be home in the next 2 hours and test him again then.

The frozen food is Nature's Valley, which is supposed to be 100% chicken. He didn't care for them, they must be kinda blah.

71. Deb & Wink

Karen,

Thank you so much for adding that little bit of additional info in your signature. It really does help.

72. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

I made it to the Lantus TR board, and posted my introduction, a few hours ago. I'm not sure how to dose this evening and I know most likely he will be high based on previous numbers and that maybe the .1 is not enough.

Do I go back to the .25 for this evening?

I asked this over there too...

Thanks

73. Deb & Wink

We usually get busier over in the Lantus TR group as the evening progresses.

What time do you need to shoot?

74. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

I have to PMPS in one hour

75. Deb & Wink

We usually have someone hold the same dose for a minimum of 6 cycles. Tonight will be that 6th cycle on this 0.1U dose.

You have had to skip a lot of shots because the numbers have gone really low, like that 44 at PMPS on 5/23. The 91 at AMPS on 5/25. Those were both at the 1U so we know that dose was too high.

I would like you to give that same 0.1U dose for at least one more cycle.

Could you get a +6 overnight again tonight?

"Better too high for a day, than too low for a minute."

There may be some other people with dose suggestions later this evening. You don't have much data yet for basing those dosing decisions on. So lets wait a bit before we have you increase.

Are you home this weekend to test more if you do increase?

76. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

Yes. I will be home all weekend cept for some small errand running. I can do the PMPS +6 tonight too.

I was thinking the same about the better high for a day than low for a minute.

Thanks...I will give the .1 at 5:30 or so after he eats

77. Deb & Wink

That seems the safest for now, to do the 0.1U.

The insulin shed or depot is still filling. We usually like to say 3 days to see some effect from a dose change.

Also, you only recently started doing BID dosing. We need to give that time.

Some reading for you on the insulin depot: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=150 It's one of those "Stickies" we refer to, over in the ISG, Lantus TR forum.

78. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

FYI Dyana posted on the TR forum too.
    as did sienne..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.