? PM DOSE

E-KC

Member Since 2026
BITTY
10/1 AMPS 236 0.5U +4 51 PMPS 219 0.25U
10/2 AMPS 329 0.75U +6 129 PMPS 273 0.5
10/3 AMPS 342 0.75U +5.09 254 PMPS 305 0.5
10/4 AMPS 359 0.75U PMPS 220 ___

What dose to give tonight?

I'm trying to see the patterns. His morning numbers are rising; is that a bounce or he's not getting enough insulin at night?
Thanks, ~Eileen🌻🐢
 
Hi Eileen, One thing I'm noticing is that you are not testing much at night, so it's difficult to know how low a dose is taking Bitty in the p.m. cycle (making it difficult to suggest a p.m. dose). Can you grab some p.m. tests? Because Vetsulin's onset is early, a +1/+2 test and also at least a midcycle test would be beneficial? Also, here is the forum's detail on Vetsulin: Sticky - BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO CANINSULIN/VETSULIN in case you haven't read it.

If you plan on sticking around on the FDMB, here is information for setting up a spreadsheet and your signature: Sticky - New? How You Can Help Us Help You!. Please let us know if you need help with setting up your spreadsheet/signature.

Finally, something to consider about Vetsulin: As the beginner's guide states, "because of cats’ faster metabolism, Caninsulin (Vetsulin) may not last in the system a full 12 hours. Typically, it may remain effective for 8 - 12 hours." It's an insulin that tends to not have what we call duration, leaving the cat without the benefit of insulin for (depending on the cat) a few hours. My vet started Jude out on Vetsulin because it was all he had in the office at the time, but he told me that he was ordering Lantus for Jude because it is the "gold standard" insulin. I will also add that Prozinc is also an excellent insulin for cats. Both Lantus and Prozinc are recommended by the American Animal Hospital Association task force. You might want to consider asking your vet to allow you to switch to either Lantus or Prozinc. Once Jude switched, we saw much better duration, and his numbers improved dramatically.
 
Hi Eileen, One thing I'm noticing is that you are not testing much at night, so it's difficult to know how low a dose is taking Bitty in the p.m. cycle (making it difficult to suggest a p.m. dose). Can you grab some p.m. tests? Because Vetsulin's onset is early, a +1/+2 test and also at least a midcycle test would be beneficial? Also, here is the forum's detail on Vetsulin: Sticky - BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO CANINSULIN/VETSULIN in case you haven't read it.

If you plan on sticking around on the FDMB, here is information for setting up a spreadsheet and your signature: Sticky - New? How You Can Help Us Help You!. Please let us know if you need help with setting up your spreadsheet/signature.

Finally, something to consider about Vetsulin: As the beginner's guide states, "because of cats’ faster metabolism, Caninsulin (Vetsulin) may not last in the system a full 12 hours. Typically, it may remain effective for 8 - 12 hours." It's an insulin that tends to not have what we call duration, leaving the cat without the benefit of insulin for (depending on the cat) a few hours. My vet started Jude out on Vetsulin because it was all he had in the office at the time, but he told me that he was ordering Lantus for Jude because it is the "gold standard" insulin. I will also add that Prozinc is also an excellent insulin for cats. Both Lantus and Prozinc are recommended by the American Animal Hospital Association task force. You might want to consider asking your vet to allow you to switch to either Lantus or Prozinc. Once Jude switched, we saw much better duration, and his numbers improved dramatically.
Thank you. My understanding is the second dose of the day is influenced by the first. That said, isn't there some wisdom to be gained by how they respond to a morning dose based on the BG? I will get some evening numbers. I recently posted I plan to switch to Lantus. Bitty was coming out of two days of hypos and I was down to my last doses of Vetsulin and didn't have all the supplies necessary to make the switch. I am gathering those. Also Bitty's spreadsheet is linked in my signature at the bottom of the post. Do you do Lantus with SLGS or TR?
 
Thank you. My understanding is the second dose of the day is influenced by the first. That said, isn't there some wisdom to be gained by how they respond to a morning dose based on the BG? I will get some evening numbers. I recently posted I plan to switch to Lantus. Bitty was coming out of two days of hypos and I was down to my last doses of Vetsulin and didn't have all the supplies necessary to make the switch. I am gathering those. Also Bitty's spreadsheet is linked in my signature at the bottom of the post. Do you do Lantus with SLGS or TR?
I'm sorry I mentioned the spreadsheet--I truly--literally--looked RIGHT at it 🥴
Jude does TR on Lantus. We started with SLGS, but switched to TR to get his numbers regulated more quickly. You'll be much happier on Lantus/Prozinc--everyone kept telling me that at the beginning, and they were right.
 
Back
Top