Phoebe and new IDDM

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by eva eva, Aug 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eva eva

eva eva Member

Starting a new thread on Phoebe. I thank all who help me in advance. I know I ask alot. Bear with me please. Insulin syringes ordered. trying different dry food for when I am gone and/or can't pick up or watch Phoebe while getting her insulin dosing right. Switching all my wet and dry food over to something they all will eat and has the right nutrients in the right amounts...... Fancy feast is liked. Attempting to get snickers to eat moist...

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    eva eva likes this.
  3. eva eva

eva eva Member

great to have a new thread. It was getting wayyyy to long.
    Thank you for attaching the prior thread. I get lost in the site for where things are and how to find them. The only way I find my thread (i am sure there's another way) is by going to my alerts. direct me if there is another way, please.

I think I saw a few things I haven't answered.

When I leave, no her BG is not checked by my friend. she has a hard time giving the insulin. I draw up her insulin doses for the times she will be giving Phoebe her insulin. They are in the fridge in a cup that she grabs and gives. I have rescue gravy cat food, and have printed out what hypoglycemia looks like in a cat. I have given that to her and have left a copy on the table with all their foods lined up for each time she feeds them. I have told her if she is acting or moving weird to give the rescue gravy cat food and skip that dose of insulin. I have tried to work with DUO on her phone to be able to get a visual on Phoebe for any questions, but she struggles with doing that.

I leave dry kibble (working on finding a common ground for that). Their regular kibble is Friskies Party Mix Original and Beachside Crunch. I am trialing one at a time. currently I have the Dr Elseys Proclean chicken duck rabbit and salmon samples and they are eating a little---not much.... If anyone has had better luck (or different idea) with a different kibble that Phoebe and all could eat without sugars flying off the handle, please let me know. My renal cat, Moosey, has a special diet and dry kibble also. (she is eating the glycobalance that I bought and now stopped using.) I also leave her dry kibble when I am gone. ( my friend is older and if something should happen and I can't get home, they will have enough food until I can get home.)

Yes, I leave kibble down when I am gone and my friend is feeding them. That way I know she will have something in case for some reason her sugar should drop. high is better than low.

I cover all food up at night, (snickers is my covert eater). He is still able to uncover and eat. However, I am working on stopping all food at night after 9pm so I can get an accurate BG on Phoebe in the am. But again, when I am gone they all have access to kibble 24/7.

I went to Walmart, Walgreens and CVS to find the proper syringe. Nobody had them---I have ordered from the ADW website for her syringes. Waiting on those. Still giving the vetsulin 1.5units. Will put all of that away in a box and label once the new syringes come so there is no mix up.

Have I covered all the questions? If not, please don't hesitate to remind me. I am just so grateful for this support. (my vet gave me the kit and an information sheet and that was it. they did answer my emails to them. But I find this site is more educational and helpful)

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Tap on your name then tap on profile page , then tap on posts and you will find all your posts by the dates

eva eva likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

When you're away for 4-7 days you might want to post and ask about what dose you should be giving since your friend can't test her at all

eva eva likes this.
  6. eva eva

eva eva Member

Thank you I will . On Monday. I will take all dry food away at night. I will test her before I go to bed as I have been doing.

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Eva I did a search on our site about pre filling syringes and leaving them in the fridge
    This is what an experienced member said

I wouldn't fill the syringes in advance. I'd make a sample one for her to use as a guide with colored water.
    Maybe you can even put a piece a black electrical tape right on the line you want her to give so she knows to stop right there. I would start showing her how to do it before you go away.

I hope you don't mind I'm just looking out for you Phoebe :cat:

Lantus should not be pre-filling syringes. It is not recommended by the manufacturer. See page 3 of this link -- the information is on the Lantus board in the Insulin Care sticky.

Lantus insulin may become turbid or cloudy after 2 days of storage in prefilled syringes and fail to meet manufacturer specifications.

@eva eva

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    eva eva likes this.
  8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi. If you are going away and your friend is going to be giving insulin and not able to test. I think it would be better to wait until
    You come home again before you start changing any of the food around, especially the dry food.
    Are you going to be leaving the dry food down over night as you up have been doing while you are away?
    I just looked at your SS and see you have just changed over to Lantus. You started with 2 units for 3 doses and then increased the dose. Did someone advise you to do that? When starting Lantus the dose needs to be held for 5 to7 days unless the BG drops under 50 (TR) or 90 (SLGS) before increasing. This is so the depot can fill.
    Information about the depot https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/what-is-the-insulin-depot.150/

eva eva and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

Just a little information that she has on another thread ,wait one minute
    She mentioned above post#3
    I leave dry kibble (working on finding a common ground for that). Their regular kibble is Friskies Party Mix Original and Beachside Crunch but on the thread I listed here it was actually started by another member ,one minute she was asking about other dry foods
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-pierson-new-food-chart.174147/page-3#post-2992813

Starting with post #227 and down
    I don't know if she ordered any of the lower carb dry foods so maybe she should stick with the ones she has since there will be no testing by her friend.
    They must be higher carbs than the ones I told her about which are 5 or 6% carbs

Also worried about her wanting to fill all the syringes ahead of time and leaving them in the fridge for her friend . I read it's not a good idea to do that which you will see what I told her about in my post #7, I even told her this on the other thread

I see she said this about the kibble
    But again, when I am gone they all have access to kibble 24/7. This is in her post #3
    Paragraph 6

Going back and forth to both threads is crazy :p:banghead:

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

Found this on the Chewy site about the Friskies Party Mix Original
    What is the percentage of carbohydrates on a dry matter basis?
    Friskies doesn't offer the analysis based on dry matter or as fed. This treat has a carbohydrate content of 29.70% based on the guarantee analysis

The Beach side Crunch has to be this high in carbs as the Original

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    eva eva likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

I asked her the same question on the other post that I posted above when I saw that
    Vetsulin was her previous insulin :cat:
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)

eva eva likes this.
  11. Diane Tyler's Mom

@eva eva
    I was looking at your spreadsheet and saw you put the blank line above the date you switched to glargine can you please write on it Switched to Glargine so members will know if they look at your spread

eva eva likes this.
  12. eva eva

eva eva Member

I still leave the kibble down when I am gone.
    I increased on the lantus when I got back --as her sugars were so out of control. I don't want to have her in DKA. Since the lantus started, bg is coming down. I did 2 nights of fasting and the amps is down to a more normal. This am-----102. Holding insulin until I see her eating--anything. she walked away from the ff. took a little kibble. will test in 2 hours to see where she is.

Read the drawing up of insulin prior--I don't understand the reasoning. Is there an article? Does the plastic in the syringe absorb the insulin?
    I commented in the colored line my change to glargine.

13. eva eva

eva eva Member

I have the Dr. elseys Proclean. they sent me several choices to try. I have been giving her the Dr. Elseys. (All of them) The switch is not going well. So I am getting some samples from another suggestion written here by Dr. Pierson. Young again dry kibble.

14. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

Yes I have read that the silicon the syringe is lubricated with breaks down and the insulin degrades quickly.

"Aventis Pharmaceuticals does not recommend prefilling syringes with Lantus and storing for any period longer than needed for application. In addition BD states the following (9): “BD does not recommend that any of our syringes be prefilled more than a few minutes in advance of the injection. There are no conclusive studies to determine the safety or risks associated with this practice.”

See page 2667, bottom left of this Article

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Bron this is crazy

I see Eva was already gone from 8-20 to 8-22 while Phoebe was still on vetsulin says it in her remarks section
    Then started with glargine giving 2 units
    Don't know who told her 2 units
    Then went up to 2.25 because she said her BG numbers were high
    So that's why she went to 2.25
    Now her morning BG 102
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)

eva eva likes this.
  16. eva eva

eva eva Member

I have read the article. When I do prefill the syringes--its for 4.5 days. I will stop prefill while I am home. Problem is---I don't feel my caregiver is able to draw up the proper amount.....even with illustrations...... what suggestions do you have with this in mind.----I am fearful she would not draw up correctly----and overdose her.---she also uses cheater glasses to read.......it is a cunaunbrom......
    I have even considered just taking Phoebe with me---but I am not sure if that would stress her out even more and raise her sugars.......

17. eva eva

eva eva Member

18. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

yeah that is a tough situation. I'm not sure what the solution is there, I'm sorry to say

eva eva likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.