Not Eating/Mouth Problems

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by roxyboxy, Jul 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roxyboxy

roxyboxy Member

Roxy has something going on with her mouth now. She ate a little bit earlier, but didn't touch dinner because right when she went to eat it she started gagging and didn't try again even when prompted. She was gagging last night as well, but was able to eat half of her dinner that time. This morning she was gagging and swiping at her mouth. It looks like she has dried pus around her mouth now. :/

I'm worried she will continue not eating and her blood sugar will drop to hypo. Is there anything i can do in the meantime until I can get her to the vet?

I picked up a meter and strips at the store yesterday, but I became very confused about lancets and couldn't find the answers I was seeking online, so I decided to forgo them until I could ask direct questions here.

If I freehand, do I need to worry about how far I go in her ear? If I get a lancing device, is it going to go too deep? What about the auto lancets that don't need a device? I know how to do it I just didn't know if the depth mattered and couldn't find anything about that.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You're overthinking it. At first, no matter what you do or what you use to do it with, you are going to have times when you go all the way through the ear. I used to tell China that I should buy her a pair of diamond stud earrings. As you gain experience, you learn what works best for both you and your cat. It's mostly just trial and error.

The only important part is to get that blood drop...and if possible, avoid the vein because it can hurt and bleed a lot more (and be harder to stop bleeding)

Tanya and Ducia and roxyboxy like this.
  3. roxyboxy

roxyboxy Member

thank you lol that's relieving to not have to worry about that. i'm gonna go pick those up asap then.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Len -

You need to get Roxy in to a vet. She could have an accessed tooth. Dental infections shouldn't be messed with.

5. roxyboxy

roxyboxy Member

i was going to get her an appointment asap but couldn't due to it being the weekend. do you think i need to take her to emergency??

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If you think there was pus around her mouth, then yes.

roxyboxy likes this.
  7. roxyboxy

roxyboxy Member

i will do that then. thank you, i didn't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.