ralphralph
Member Since 2026
Hi there,
I'm new here seeking more advice after realising my vet didn't appear to be fully informed about the ProZinc guidelines.
I've read a lot of questions on here and understand how useful a BG spreadsheet is. I'll be working this week to create one with more accurate testing from the Alpha Trak 3. At the moment, Ralph has a Libre 3 attached. Ralph was diagnosed on the 18th September 2026 and is only 7 years old.
He stayed in hospital with high ketones for a few nights, and he came back with me two nights afterwards. A blood test two days after that revealed his ketones had fallen further. I will be ordering some gear to do at-home ketone testing today.
The original dose of ProZinc was 1.0 units. This worked for the first few days but his BG quickly fell to numbers around 4 mmol (72 mg dL) on the Libre 3. This sometimes wouldn't rise past 7 mmol (126 mg dL) by the time of his next shot. After phoning the vets, they recommended that I didn't administer at this level. My vets were originally adamant on only giving him two separate meals a day with his insulin, but I was confused because he couldn't eat half the recommended amount of food for his weight in one sitting. The vets just said that's a fine amount of food. After digging up the ProZinc website myself, I discovered that it's actually fine for some cats to "graze" on food between cycles. I was slightly disappointed with my vet for not knowing this because it's quite clear that Ralph needs that extra food to steady his graph and keep him well fed. This led to a cycle of low readings, skipped doses, then inevitable high readings until the next shot.
In the last week we lowered his dose to 0.5 units, and it's much of the same. Often hitting a nadir of 3 mmol (54 mg dL) which is, of course, too low! I've convinced my vet that after reading the guidelines and his graph, that Ralph needs this extra food between shots. I'm an anxious person but trying to look at the positives that 1. he is back to his normal behaviour (for the most part) and 2. even a dose of 0.5 units seems very effective at steadying his BG levels.
My question is if there are any "standard" guidelines on when these should be given? His BG tends to drop off a cliff after the shot, often hitting a concerning low just 3 hours after the dose. He is currently on a wet food only diet of Sheba Fine Flakes Poultry, though I did take delivery of "PRO PLAN VETERINARY DIETS DM Diabetes Chicken Wet Cat Food" so I'm tempted to see how he likes it.
I believe I read somewhere that a small meal at +2 and +4 hours post-shot would be good. (perhaps half a packet at a time? His daily recommended amount is around 4.5 - 5 packets a day) If I did that for both shots (9am and 9pm) the schedule could look like:
9am: 1.5 packets
11am: 0.5 packet
1pm: 0.5 packet
9pm: 1.5 packets
11pm 0.5 packet
1am: 0.5 packet
for a total of 5 packets. Is this something that sounds sensible? When I was giving him 2 packets at a time in the morning and evening, he could only finish what I would assume to be around 1.7 packets.
Thank you for reading. This forum has given me a lot of great info and I'll be doing my best to help my sweet boy Ralph with your guidance!
I'm new here seeking more advice after realising my vet didn't appear to be fully informed about the ProZinc guidelines.
I've read a lot of questions on here and understand how useful a BG spreadsheet is. I'll be working this week to create one with more accurate testing from the Alpha Trak 3. At the moment, Ralph has a Libre 3 attached. Ralph was diagnosed on the 18th September 2026 and is only 7 years old.
He stayed in hospital with high ketones for a few nights, and he came back with me two nights afterwards. A blood test two days after that revealed his ketones had fallen further. I will be ordering some gear to do at-home ketone testing today.
The original dose of ProZinc was 1.0 units. This worked for the first few days but his BG quickly fell to numbers around 4 mmol (72 mg dL) on the Libre 3. This sometimes wouldn't rise past 7 mmol (126 mg dL) by the time of his next shot. After phoning the vets, they recommended that I didn't administer at this level. My vets were originally adamant on only giving him two separate meals a day with his insulin, but I was confused because he couldn't eat half the recommended amount of food for his weight in one sitting. The vets just said that's a fine amount of food. After digging up the ProZinc website myself, I discovered that it's actually fine for some cats to "graze" on food between cycles. I was slightly disappointed with my vet for not knowing this because it's quite clear that Ralph needs that extra food to steady his graph and keep him well fed. This led to a cycle of low readings, skipped doses, then inevitable high readings until the next shot.
In the last week we lowered his dose to 0.5 units, and it's much of the same. Often hitting a nadir of 3 mmol (54 mg dL) which is, of course, too low! I've convinced my vet that after reading the guidelines and his graph, that Ralph needs this extra food between shots. I'm an anxious person but trying to look at the positives that 1. he is back to his normal behaviour (for the most part) and 2. even a dose of 0.5 units seems very effective at steadying his BG levels.
My question is if there are any "standard" guidelines on when these should be given? His BG tends to drop off a cliff after the shot, often hitting a concerning low just 3 hours after the dose. He is currently on a wet food only diet of Sheba Fine Flakes Poultry, though I did take delivery of "PRO PLAN VETERINARY DIETS DM Diabetes Chicken Wet Cat Food" so I'm tempted to see how he likes it.
I believe I read somewhere that a small meal at +2 and +4 hours post-shot would be good. (perhaps half a packet at a time? His daily recommended amount is around 4.5 - 5 packets a day) If I did that for both shots (9am and 9pm) the schedule could look like:
9am: 1.5 packets
11am: 0.5 packet
1pm: 0.5 packet
9pm: 1.5 packets
11pm 0.5 packet
1am: 0.5 packet
for a total of 5 packets. Is this something that sounds sensible? When I was giving him 2 packets at a time in the morning and evening, he could only finish what I would assume to be around 1.7 packets.
Thank you for reading. This forum has given me a lot of great info and I'll be doing my best to help my sweet boy Ralph with your guidance!