Newly diagnosed IAA positive, acro negative

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Liz & Minnie, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd introduce myself over here though probably have crossed paths with most people on the Levemir/Lantus forum.

Got Minnie's results back on Monday from WSU (she was accepted to a clinical study for acro and I got them to add the IAA test). She was fortunately negative for acro which would have required a drive over to WSU for follow-up scans, but positive for IAA 68%. Just increased her to 4u after a stint in the lemon tree with a leap into pink at last night's PMPS.

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...2-igf-1-iaa-results-back.251865/#post-2841898

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi, Liz!! Nobody is better equipped than you to handle this!

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  3. Liz & Minnie

Hi Suzanne, fancy meeting you here!! :p:cat:

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  4. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

My Howie is both IAA (dxed in Sept 2020) and acro (dxed in Jan 2021). He is high dose but is doing well living in mostly green and blues. I see everyone is saying they are relieved not to see an acro diagnosis but I guess I don’t know any difference in what I would do with him besides more insulin and giving him Cabergoline for the acro. Certainly my pocket book isn’t thrilled with a dual diagnosis but he’s been as healthy as he can be nonetheless.

Liz & Minnie and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

He is doing so well! I’m impressed with how you manage him and keep him in those blues and greens! I do wish that he didn’t take so much insulin. I do wish those antibodies would taper off at some point. How much Cabergoline does Howie get now? Is he a happy cat? I hope he is feeling well. Do you teach school? Or are you the student? I have seen you mention school starting up again.

6. Liz & Minnie

Yikes, he is on quite the dose but I'm impressed and envious with how well controlled you have him! I am partly relieved for negative acro because a positive would mean a 3+ hour drive over to WSU for scans. I knew that going into the study but nonetheless it's a relief not to be doing it. Plus the complexity of one more thing for this little monster who is picky with food at the best of times, without the meds I already stir in!

Good work with Howie though and thanks for stopping by :)

7. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I’m not sure what the rough patch was in July/early Aug but we’re back in a good spot with his BGs again, thank goodness.he is a very happy cat. I’m not sure if those antibodies will ever break but I just have to live with that. He’s on .7mL of Cabergoline. I work at a university is student activities so have a crazy schedule at times. I have a couple friends who help me out when I work late and just interviewed a new critter sitter tonight to have more options. She’s never taken care of a diabetic but is eager to learn testing and giving insulin! She’s going to be great! So many sitters won’t test, so I found a “unicorn”!

8. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I am very lucky that Howie is food motivated and not picky! I don’t know if you use Novolin R it not to supplement higher BGs, but it has been crucial for Howie with IAA. Good luck!

Liz & Minnie likes this.