8/23 Minnie AMPS 247 +2.5 222 - IGF-1/IAA results back

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Liz & Minnie, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-22-minnie-amps-146-3-190-5-5-132-7-75-101-9-5-79.251821/

Heard back from WSU. Minnie is negative for acro (IGF-1 51) and positive for IAA (68).

Admit I'm surprised at that since I thought the IAA was supposed to disappear in ~12 months and we're now nearly 17months into the diabetes diagnosis. Now I have some reading to do though from what I vaguely know already I think it's really just business as usual and manage the diabetes!

Plan to increase this evening.

Marina & Chico likes this.
  2. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

Great news for Acro negative, :bighug:

but have to admit that i don’t know what IAA stands for, will go read as well:bookworm:

3. Liz & Minnie

From the sticky copied below...I have to do more reading but I think it's just business as usual with giving insulin but be wary of sudden drops. :bookworm::bookworm:

Cats with Insulin Auto Antibodies (IAA)

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Insulin_antibodies
    When insulin is injected into a diabetic cat, the body views it as a foreign substance and the immune system sets out to destroy the "invader" insulin, just as it would destroy cold and flu viruses. When this happens to injected insulin - most of it never reaches the bloodstream thus being unable to control blood glucose. Insulin doses may be increased but the immune system only goes into higher gear and continues to effectively destroy any additional injected insulin. Over time this becomes officially known as insulin resistance.

*Extreme insulin resistance (IAA)
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/diabetes/faq/part3/section-24.html

*Beta cell and insulin antibodies in treated and untreated diabetic cats
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11068068

4. Marina & Chico

Thank you for the links, i will check then as well. I understand that Minnie reacts to insulin so for her it is the unexpected lows that you should be aware of :blackeye::blackeye: i didn’t really understand what it means that it is limited, meaning it just goes away after a while?
    I will read more about it though.

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  5. Marina & Chico

I found this article which is pretty good as well, while reading i actually remembered @Hercule's mum and was wondering if she has considered this possibility o_O

Hercule's mum and Liz & Minnie like this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad the Acro was negative. @Lisa & Oberon deals with IAA. I'm glad you got some answers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  7. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I am ELATED that she doesn’t have Acromegaly!!!!! So happy! Sorry about IAA but you knew something was going on! And yes. I thought these antibodies were supposed to be self- limiting!

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Awesome news on the acro negative! :joyful::joyful::joyful: I have seen IAA pop up later on in a cat's diabetes journey. We don't know when it started for Minnie. Neko's IAA lasted less than a year - ECID. We've also see cats with IAA on smaller doses, such as 3 units. Unlike that article said that Marina linked, it's not necessarily a high dose thing. Actually, I disagree with many things in that article, such as feeding a cat 10 ounces a day!!! Neko would have been a monster with that much food and did well on 4 oz raw a day. I'll post more later.

Liz & Minnie and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  9. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

Glad you don't have to deal with acro as well as IAA! Feel free to check out Oberon's SS (and in particular the BG vs. date graph that gives the big picture overview). We're just over a year from when he came out of remission (July 2020), and the IAA was diagnosed in late Sept 2020. He's been up and down the dosing scale about four times now, and every time I wonder if the antibodies are finally giving up for good. Pretty much all you can do is follow the numbers. If you start to get into higher doses, using R can be very helpful, but there's a learning curve and you want guidance when you do it.

Suzanne & Darcy and Liz & Minnie like this.
  10. Liz & Minnie

Thanks everyone! I am quite relieved not to have to deal with the acro and just re-reading the IAA info with a different perspective is making me wonder about her random drops (I'm talking about you, drop to 22).
    As soon as I read in @carfurby 's message that Oberon had IAA (I'd forgotten that) I had to laugh. That explains the Minnanigans, she is copying her buddy's Oberonigans! And thanks for the reminder, I will check Oberon's s/s again. I am certain I copied ('leveraged' as they say at work) some things from there right at the beginning :)

I have experience with R - the vet introduced that when she had her DKA/Feeding tube/ICU-cation and Wendy has helped me since. Haven't had to use lately, fortunately, but as soon as I see a pink I pull it out. I've even got a nice R tab in my s/s which really doesn't help much, I call it 'R' roulette because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I haven't figured out any rhyme or reason for that!

11. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

I'm really glad you have a diagnosis to work with now, Liz, and relieved it's not acro. You've managed this long with Minnie and have kept her safe despite the gold medal skydiving.

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How technical do you want the info to be? I have links to some articles, and some excellent quotes from Sandy (&Black Kitty) that are more everyday expectation. Rewriting a sticky on IAA is on my list, but keeps getting interrupted. :arghh: It's part way there. I've seen articles that say it's uncommon in cats, and one that says common, even in non diabetics. :rolleyes: Both studies on too small a number of cats. This is a 2021 paper I found:
    Relationship between anti-insulin antibody production and severe insulin resistance in a diabetic cat.

Lisa & Oberon likes this.
  13. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you have some answers, hope you're feeling a little better now. Here comes the flurry of research! At least it's not research on acro, whew.