Newbie Patty and Blue from Georgia

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patty and Blue GA & Brat, Aug 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Great. Once he’s more regulated you can play with the time a little when your own life gets in the way!

2. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Patty and Blue GA & Brat Well-Known Member

I just tested Blue again and it's 594 after giving him 1 unit this morning around 10:30. It just read Hi this morning. Is there anything I can do? He ate wet food this morning before his shot. I didn't put any dry food out for him.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Patty you are doing the right thing by testing . I don’t think your Vet should give you a hard time about it . I would rather know Blues numbers than not . You are doing Great

4. tiffmaxee

He’s bouncing. That’s likely because if the big drop last night. They bounce when they drop too quorum drop to a bg they haven’t seen in awhile. This is where patience is crucial. Consistent dosing to see what this dose will do. How long you hold the dose will depend upon whether you follow TR or SLGS.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I of course cant give dosing advice. If there were any way you could get more tests in it may hold a clue. Bouncing is a strange occurrence I barely grasp. :rolleyes:

6. tiffmaxee

Unless you stop feeding dry you would have to follow SLGS. So you will hold the dose and do a 12 hour curve testing every 2 hours and see how low 1 unit takes him. He sure is gorgeous!

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

That's a thing? :eek:

Mogs

8. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

What is TR? He is scheduled to go to the vet tomorrow for a curve. It really does scare me he is so high all day. The new dry food came in today. The Dr. Elsy's. He likes it. A lot!

9. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Thanks. It may not be what the vet suggested, but for me a must do. I wouldn't know how to treat him and she wanted me to go on blind faith and just give him 2 units of Lantus twice a day. Can you imagine if I had done that? :eek:

10. jt and trouble (GA)

TR = Tight Regulation

11. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Look at all the new people signing up! Wow, just wow. Who knew there were so many kitties diagnosed with diabetes every day...crazy. How do you all keep up with everyone's needs?

Sue and Luci and Critter Mom like this.
  12. jt and trouble (GA)

scary isnt it? smh

13. tiffmaxee

Tight Regulation is a bit more aggressive approach but if you feed any dry , even low carb, you can’t follow it. Being too high is not good but being too low is much worse because a symptomatic hypo can cause a cat to go into a coma and pass away. We just had a new cat have this happen I think last week. Not a cat that has been DKA can become very sick as well. Some are just prone to it. As long as they get enough insulin, stay well hydrated, and eat enough as well as by testing for it, that won’t happen. You can get strips to check for ketones or a meter that checks the blood for it. Max never had that so I’ll leave those with experience to explain that. I think your vet would have told you if he tested for ketones but that’s something to ask about.
    Max only had one curve at the vet and that was after his first shot of Lantus. It wasn’t needed because I tested at home. Max would get stressed at the vet’s office office and would test higher than at home. I know because he was a little high whenever he had blood tests. I would test before a vet appointment and he always was much higher there and using a vet meter was not the reason as he would be in the 50’s here and 100-200 there within maybe 30 minutes.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  14. tiffmaxee

15. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

16. tiffmaxee

Read all the yellow stickies. There’s a lot of info there. I still refer back especially to SLGS because I’m more familiar with TR. I printed out shooting low numbers right from the beginning.

17. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Checked out Little Bittles SS and looks like he's in remission? Lots of green. I hope I can get Blue there eventually. One thing I haven't mentioned in this thread is that he received a steroid shot before all this took place. He couldn't get over an upper respiratory infection. I'm hoping when it gets out of his system he'll go into remission, but I'm not sure if it works that way.

18. jt and trouble (GA)

It can work that way fingers and paws crossed!

19. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Thank you. Found the stickies an they're very informative. Yay :)

20. tiffmaxee

We have one in an OTJ trial right now that has steroid induced diabetes. Check this out. @Kyle & Simon

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  21. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Wow, his numbers look pretty good. There is hope. :joyful: I'm getting ready to test again. I hope it looks better than earlier.

22. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Oh my goodness, he's 408. I never thought I'd get so excited to be in the 400s. He's eating now, but I had to feed everyone again. The Dr. Elsey's PureProtein dry is a hit and fed American Journey wet. I'm very relieved but I know it will fluctuate. Thanks all for your patience and all the valuable information.

23. tiffmaxee

It makes me so angry that your vet didn’t explain how Lantus works or what to expect. I’m so worried your vet will do a curve and tell you to give too much insulin. How long was he on steroid?

24. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

It was a shot and when I asked about it being the cause she said the shot lasted 6 to 8 weeks so it's probably about out but I'm going to check the date. She said it was possible but unlikely to cause and said she did look it up.
    I don't think I'll let her change the dose at this point since I know now how it works. I want to give it a couple of weeks to see if it will stabilize. I think she'll agree. I sent her a link to Blue's SS.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  25. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I think you are probably correct. He was hypo when I look back and it happened two nights in a row. It hasn't happened since I changed to 1 unit every 12 hours. Wow :(

26. tiffmaxee

One steroid shot makes me think you really need to go slow. If you look at Simon’s spreadsheet you will see he was given too much also.. he had been on steroids for 4 months. She caught that 98 luckily so he never had a hypo. You have lots of questions now to ask your vet now.

27. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Kyle & Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

@Rex2u I am so sorry you have to deal with this! You are in good hands with @tiffmaxee ! She helped me so much. Best of luck to you! :cat:

28. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I agree. I will talk with her tomorrow.
    Thank you. It's been emotional but wonderful people here helping me understand. I followed you since I think steroids caused my Blue’s diabetes too. Good luck to you.

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  29. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Missed you and Blue today! My dog was just seven weeks old when he came into a house with seven cats. So he is very well trained, lol. He and Tina literally groom one another and hang close. It's precious. I'm sorry you lost Sissy. I just hate losses, even though the saying, to have loved and lost is better than never having loved at all, pops in my head a lot.

I'm so glad you are learning so much and keeping your precious Blue safe! Those high numbers will come on down, and keeping fingers crossed the steroid shot could be what pushed Blue into diabetes. Meaning upcoming remission like Kyle's Simon. A day at a time -- oops -- a cycle at a time!

30. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I'm up early. I'm taking Blue in to vet for a BG curve. I can't even remember what I'm supposed to do. Test him and feed him I think, but I'm off schedule and he can't get a shot until 10. With Covid we can't go inside the animal medical center with our pets. I'm nervous they will give him a shot before time. I'm going to have to stress to person that comes out to the car that he can't have insulin. I wonder if that helps or hurts the main objective...

I love cats that train their dogs. When I see cats and dogs snuggled in pictures online it makes me happy.
    My daughter would love to get another dog but I think these seniors would freak.

Off to test and feed. Be back later.

Critter Mom likes this.
  31. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Still in the 400s this morning. I'm shocked it has stayed down since his numbers weren't even reading. It's 444 to start the day for his BG curve. I know it's still high but much lower than it's been. 1 unit may work, at least for now. Hope the vet agrees. Thanks to all :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  32. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Good luck to both of you today, Patty. :)

:bighug:

Mogs

33. tiffmaxee

I’m sorry you didn't ask us yesterday. I wonder if they are doing a curve. They might just shoot early or I guess wait 2 hours to start. Let us know how it went.

34. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I sure hope they will do the curve. I'm not going to try again if they can't. Last week I was charged but they said it wasn't long enough and bring him in this week. I wish it were easier to communicate with them. I only see the tech when they come to the car but I don't think they know enough to say it won't work if you don't have insulin to start. I got off schedule the other night. YAKKKKKK

35. tiffmaxee

Covid makes it so hard! They are right about one thing. It was too soon. I hope they know to shoot 1 unit. This should be the last curve you have them do since you will be testing at home and can send the your spreadsheet. This will be interesting.

36. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Well, I told the tech 1u and I saw her write it down. She also had a copy of our spreadsheet printed out so they should see I was down from 2u to 1 and his numbers were improving. I'm dying to call to check on him. Haha, I'm so nervous having him out of my sight.

37. tiffmaxee

Know what you mean. I’m overdue to take my girls for an annual because I keep stalling and hoping the rules will change so I can go in with them. I need to leave my vet a message.

38. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to seeing your new condo/thread today! Welcome to the forum Patty and Blue!

39. tiffmaxee

Yes please start a new one for today. Link this one to it by copying and pasting the url.

40. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Ha ha ha ok we'll see if I can figure that out. I think this last 10 days caught up with me today. I couldn't move after dropping Blue off. Two naps later I'm feeling alive again. Talk later when I get my Bebe Blue home.

41. tiffmaxee

No worries. . One of us will link it for you. I’m glad you are getting much needed rest.

42. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

43. tiffmaxee

Darn it. Exactly what I thought would happen. We will deal with it. Don’t let them give a PM shot.

44. tiffmaxee

Just checking to see if you are home yet.

45. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Yes. I updated SS and started a new thread. ”Blues got curves”...I linked this one but is this one supposed to disappear?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.