? Newbie dosing question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by 20Merlin24, Apr 23, 2024.

1. 20Merlin24

20Merlin24 Member

Merlin is doing great on Lantus so far. What a difference the change in insulin made! :) I've been reading about the depot and overlap but it's still a bit fuzzy, and I have a question:

If the numbers start being too low for the morning shot, is that generally a sign that the dose should be adjusted? Meaning, if the evening shot brings him too low for the morning shot, would it be better to give a slightly lower dose to even it out?

The vet put him on 2 U and said we'll discuss after I have three readings a day for two weeks to show her. She also said her goal is always a happy, comfy cat. Less concerned about "perfect" numbers.

He's now on 1.5 U and I feel a bit bad/unsure about going against her advice. Should I bring him back up to 2U?

I would love to be able to get him into remission of course, but since our major move is coming up soon I don't want to be too aggressive either this early on. Safety first! I'm sure all the boxes and changes are somewhat stressing him out and possibly affecting the numbers too. For this reason I've been extra careful about hypoglycemia. The last thing I need right now is another emergency vet visit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?:cat:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  2. cecile & bella

cecile & bella Well-Known Member

Hello!
    First I am linking your last post, so it is easier for members to answer you: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-to-lantus-bg-question.288993/#post-3171616
    I would not bring him back to 2 units. We go slowly, increasing by .25 unit at a time. You are following SLGS, so you would need a week before increasing. You can read about it there:
    Dosing Methods: Start Low, Go Slow (SLGS) & Tight Regulation (TR)
    I think you are right in wanting to avoid higher doses for now, at least not right away. I would stay at 1, as Wendy told you @Wendy&Neko on Friday, then increase to 1.25 after a week, etc. REad the sticky I linked above to see how it works. Go slowly.
    You can tell your vet that you kept a lower dose for now, or be vague about what you are doing :)

3. 20Merlin24

20Merlin24 Member

Ooops, then I went to 1.5 too fast. I only did that one dose at 1. Don't know what I was thinking.

So, since I messed this up he's been on 1.5. Is that too high? Reduce to 1 or 1.25 tonight...? (And stay there for a week)

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome to LLB. Having to skip doses is a sign that you increased too fast and too much since you are following SLGS and new to Lantus. . I’d go back to 1.0 and hold the dose for 7 days. It takes 5-7 days when starting Lantus to see how the dose is working.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    20Merlin24 likes this.
  5. 20Merlin24

20Merlin24 Member

Thank you so much. I will do that, and I won't mess it up this time. :banghead:

6. tiffmaxee

Don’t be so hard on yourself. You are doing really well at keeping him safe. Keep asking questions. We are here to help. The 50’s are safe but too low for a cat on SLGS. It’s a good sign that the response to lantus is bringing the bg under 100!

7. 20Merlin24

20Merlin24 Member

Under 100?

8. tiffmaxee

Sorry. Mixed you up with someone else. Blue is good too. My response went to the wrong place about frees but the rest is correct.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    20Merlin24 likes this.
  9. 20Merlin24

20Merlin24 Member

:D We'll get closer to 100 after the move. Thanks again.

cecile & bella likes this.
  10. cecile & bella

cecile & bella Well-Known Member

I think you are doing great, and you are asking questions and trying to keep him safe, which is all that counts for now!

Staci & Ivy and 20Merlin24 like this.