Newbie...day 5 - how are we doing?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Carrie Arrowsmith, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Carrie Arrowsmith

Carrie Arrowsmith Member

How are we doing? I know I need more testing but I think we are getting better at it so I can get more numbers. I am concerned about tonight. She was at 227 - 50 minutes ago. If you look at 3 days ago on our spreadsheet April 20 - she went from 417 down to 200 in 5hrs. I will be watching her close this evening, testing at +2 and +5 because I am afraid of another drop like that and tonight she won't have 200 to spare so to speak. I have a hypo kit, some higher carb fancy feast w/gravy and some high carb treats. So aside from being a nervous wreck right now...how is my girl doing based on her spreadsheet?

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It's be great if you can get a test 2-3 hours after the PM shot. That'll tell you whether she's thinking about going down tonight.

The thing with Lantus, typically cycles are a lot flatter when you shoot lower numbers. It does seem counter-intuitive, but that's how it works. If she drops 200 from over 400 preshot, she might not even drop 100 from 200 preshot.

It is nice to see her numbers are gradually coming down as the Lantus depot builds. Looks like a normal Lantus start. :)

Carrie Arrowsmith likes this.
  3. Carrie Arrowsmith

Carrie Arrowsmith Member

I appreciate that information - doesn't make things confusing at all LOL!! Good to know we are in the right direction. We have had 2 really good days with testing pre-shot so I feel more confident poking her in a few hours. Thank you for helping!

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  4. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

Welcome, Carrie and Bianca. Your girl is just adorable. It’s great you’re asking questions and getting things up and running. You’re in a great place and will get lots of support here.
    Wishing you both all the best!!
    :bighug::cat:

5. Carrie Arrowsmith

Carrie Arrowsmith Member

She is at 242 now and very mad at me. This one wasn't as easy - we survived but she is mad.

6. Wendy&Neko

Are you giving treats after you test? Pretty soon Neko figured out that test = treat and would come running when I got out the test kit.

Since the +2 was higher, doesn't look like a dive down is in the cards tonight. The +2 compared to the preshot can often be a heads up as to what will happen later in the cycle. A lower +2 means action and more testing a good idea. A similar +2 means a "normal" Lantus cycle with some downward movement. A higher plus 2 means a quieter cycle. This +2 isn't a lot higher, she could still go down a bit.

Carrie Arrowsmith likes this.
  7. Carrie Arrowsmith

Carrie Arrowsmith Member

Now she is 290 - so not going down for sure.

8. Wendy&Neko

Sleep tight!