New to Navigating Feline Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JulzSTL, Sep 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Hi, my 7 year old neutered male kitty Sailor was just diagnosed Friday. I am not at all new to cats. I got my first kitty for my 8th birthday and have had a total of eight cats in my life, so far they have all lived very long and for the most part, very healthy lives. I’ve given sub cutaneous fluids, syringe fed, eye drops and poked pills down throats (almost lost a finger!) but this is my first diabetic kitty. I thought he was having UT problems, could not get into see a vet, they are all booked out for at least a month here. Went to an emergency clinic, urinalysis did not show crystals, blood or bacteria but did show glucose. Long story short, he was diagnosed with diabetes, they showed me how to give an injection, gave me a Rx for Lantus and sent us home yesterday. I immediately switched him from Iams weight management dry food to fancy feast classics. I was told to give him 2 units immediately after meals, every 12 hours. I started yesterday morning. I used a ReliOn Prime to test his BG this afternoon, six hours after his last feeding and 2 unit insulin injection, and he was at 79. Thursday night at the Emergency Clinic it was at 400. I’m not going to give him anymore insulin today. He’s acting like his usual self. I’m going to keep testing, but when and how often should I test? We do not have a regular vet and when I called around they are either not seeing new patients or there is a 3-4 week wait! A tech at the Emergency Clinic gave me the name of a doctor near me, I’ll call tomorrow and see if they can get us in sooner. I was also told that ya’ll can help me set up a chart to track and monitor his numbers? I’d be grateful for any and all advice and support. Thank you in advance.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

NAVIGATE! ITS WHAT WE DO!
    Welcome to FDMB The best site on this planet to help you help Sailor get the best possible advice at your finger tips.
    We are a community of caring loving cat lovers all dedicated to helping any and all that find us.
    You just may want to start here to get use to how all this works:
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You!
    It sounds like you have been a great cat mom to all 8 of your charges. Thats what we like to hear! YOU CAN DO THIS!

WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY:bighug:
    jeanne

JulzSTL likes this.
  3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

79 is a pretty great number at +6 which is 6 hours after shot, but we advise you start with 1 unit not 2. So I’d suggest you go down to 1 unit twice a day. Lantus needs consistency and it only lasts for about 12 hours, so it’s best to give equal doses 12 hours apart because otherwise, your cat is not covered for the entire 24 hours. Makes sense? Good for you for doing a lot things right like switching the food and home testing. It could be that the switch from dry had dropped his numbers considerably. It does make a huge difference. You should also test before each shot. So what I’d do tomorrow is test, then if it’s a number above 200, which it may be since you’re skipping tonight, give 1 unit. Can you do another +6 test tomorrow to see what the 1 unit will do? Also test at night again before the night shot. If you need help interpreting the numbers you get, post here or on the Lantus forum. You can feed freely throughout the day, but no food 2 hours prior to the pre shot tests so you know if the number is safe to shoot without food influence. Read this too:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/the-basics-new-to-the-group-start-here.18139/

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB. Do you know if it was a fructosomine test they used for Sailor's diagnosis. If they only did a simple glucose test like you are doing, that is not an accurate way to diagnose FD. The fructosomine test calculates the average glucose amounts over several days. The reason a simple glucose test should not be used is that stress can raise a cats glucose levels 100 points or more. Most cats do not like going to the vet and become stressed.

I am glad to see you are already testing. 79 is too low to give insulin. For new members we generally recommend skipping the shot unless the reading is over 200. Since the diet change will also drop the glucose level considerably, you may be lucky and that may be all you need. I do think 2 units may be too high, a starting dose at 1/2 to 1 unit is safer. It can be gradually increased over weeks to find the optimal dose to control the glucose levels.

5. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

I’m just getting started. The ER vet just told me 2 units every 12 hours after feeding. Nothing about testing........I was shocked when I saw 79. The kitties are eating right now. I had difficulty getting blood the first couple of times I attempted it. Couldn’t get enough. But this afternoon I got too much! Poor guy, his mom is such a rookie. Hopefully he will get a full belly and let me prick his other ear. I know he senses that I’m nervous. I will not be able to test all day long tomorrow. I have to work outside the home. I leave around 8 and get home around 5:30. I’ll have to test early in the morning before I feed him and then again in the evening. I won’t have an opportunity to test periodically all day until next Saturday.
    I also hope to find a doctor who can see us. It’s really frustrating to be given this diagnosis and not have medical support from a vet.
    I’ll look for the spreadsheet and get started on it. Thank you!

6. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Yes, they initially thought it was high due to stress so they did the fructosomine test that verified the diagnosis. Sailor hates going to the vet, he’s very shy and easily frightened. He is only comfortable with me, my teenage son and eight year old niece. He hides from everyone else, unlike his dog and cat siblings who are aggressively friendly and outgoing. I really hope the diet change will do the trick. He’s such a sweetheart and so young. I want him to be happy and healthy for years to come.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  7. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’ve been doing this for almost a year now and sometimes I get too much blood out as well. It happens and they forgive you :cat:

A few tips for you with testing. To me, warming up the ear is key. Really huge difference between getting a tiny dot and a good droplet. Most of us use an old sock filled with rice and nuke it for about 20-30 seconds. Then apply to the ear for about 15-20 seconds or until ear is warm to the touch. Are you using a lancet free hand or lancet pen? Also the gauge size makes a difference. For beginners it’s easier to go with a 28 or even 26. Always press the spot on the ear you pricked after with a cotton pad or oval for a few seconds to avoid bruising. You can also apply a thin lawyer of Neosporin ointment with pain relief to the spot after the test. We also recommend always giving a low carb treat immediately after to build positive association. It doesn’t matter if the attempt failed or not, always give a treat. And some folks like myself, like to sing. It calms me and Minnie down. She’s so used to it by now that when she hears me hum our testing lullaby, she gets into testing position for me. She also knows she gets that treat after. This is the spot you’re aiming for:
    0D9B6600-5B47-4D01-911A-DAB6D8AD347A.jpeg

8. jt and trouble (GA)

Awwww Sailor is adorable :bighug:

9. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

@Lisa and Witn (GA) I thought she meant 79 @+6 since she said in the afternoon... @JulzSTL can you please clarify for us how many hours after the insulin shot did you get the 79? Am I right in thinking you meant 6 hours after you gave the morning insulin shot?

10. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

Hey Julz! Glad to see you found your way here from the facebook group! Welcome :)

11. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Thanks! Yes, I saw the rice in sock trick and used it. He’s not really into treats. He will sniff them and walk away. I need to find something that is low carb and irresistible to him. He’s very sweet so I think we will be ok when we both get used to it.

12. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

I got the 79 6 hours after feeding him. I gave him 2 units (as the ER vet instructed me to) immediately after he ate this morning. Then at 2:00 pm, six hours after breakfast and insulin, I tested and ReliOn meter gave 79.

13. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Thanks so much! I wish I didn’t have to be here, but since I do, I’m grateful for the guidance.

14. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

AMPS (morning pre-shot) 2 units
    +6 79

Can you get another test in? and how long after this morning's dose would it be? It would be interesting to see what the late in the cycle number is. All data is good data.
    Two units is a large starting dose. And cutting out the carbs can drop overall numbers by up to 100 points. Thank goodness you took the initiative to home test.

Critter Mom and JulzSTL like this.
  15. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Yeah, the more I read here the more I thought I should test at home. It did seem like a high dose after reading other messages and info. I’ll feel better when I’m able to do a curve next weekend. Hopefully I’ll be more competent with the BG testing. Insulin injections have been really easy, pricking him for blood sample, not so much. I’m nervous and he senses it. I ordered some freeze dried salmon treats tonight. He usually turns his nose up at treats but he likes stinky fishy smelling things. I’m sure we will get into the routine soon. He’s hiding at the moment, he’s tired of me and the dog pestering him. I’ll get up early in the morning and test before I feed him. If it’s high I will give him half a unit and then test again 12 hours later before feeding evening meal.

16. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Sing.

17. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Great that’s what I thought then. Just make sure for those pre shot tests that he hasn’t eaten for 2 hours at least when you test. So test, feed and shoot is the correct order as you’ve been doing :cat:

18. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I second that! The singing is more for me I think than for her ha!

19. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

So a treat can be a piece of cheese or baked chicken, but it can also be anything else he loves like brushing or scratching his butt, anything positive like that. It does not need to be strictly food. Hope that helps!

20. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome if you are not going to be around all day until you get home at 5:30 I would leave some food out for Sailor in case he drops too low.
    You only withhold food 2 hours before his AMPS ( morning pre shot)
    Most of us feed Fancy Feast Classic Pates.
    Larger meal in the morning and larger meal when you test him at PMPS ( night time pre shot)
    In between we feed smaller meals maybe @+4 and @+6
    The days you can't be home maybe you can get a automatic pet feeder
    I agree with starting with a half unit or 1 unit to see how low the insulin is taking Sailor. You don't want a hypo to happen
    The spreadsheet is important when asking for help with dosing from members

On weekends when you could be home it would be helpful to get a test in @+2 then @+4 and @+6
    Same with the night. cycle, kitties usually drop lower at night
    Then you can alternate your test times such as @+3 then @+5 then @+7 or @+8
    The more data you collect the better

Do you have syringes with half unit markings because we increase and decrease by 0.25 units

We don't increase or decrease going by their prep shots that is to see if the number is safe to shoot
    We are looking for the nadir ( how low the insulin is taking Sailor and when )
    That's how we determine if a decrease is needed.

If you can set up your signature that would be helpful, what acute face Sailor has
    Good luck :cat:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  21. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

Hello and welcome! You've come to the best support group ever!

If I did that, my Mouse would run :joyful: she always does when I sing.

22. Diane Tyler's Mom

If you could set up you signature that would be great
    • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

tap on your avatar where it says your name ,then hit profile page ,tap on that ,then go up to the very top, upper right hand side and tap on your name ,it will bring down a drop box, tap on signature, the signature will be under settings, tap on the signature then and you can start to add what I posted above, make sure you hit save ,
    Welcome to the best place you could ever be and an awesome group of people

23. Diane Tyler's Mom

24. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

My teenage son will be home during the day because his school is online due to COVID-19, he can feed him during the day. I have been feeding him Fancy Feast classics since Friday.
    Yes, my syringes have half unit makings.
    I think I set up my signature, I’ve never used a forum like this before, so please forgive any missteps.
    I just tried to run another test, the meter timed out by the time I got the blood on the stick. Sailor was frustrated and fighting to get away. Sigh. I thought giving the injections would be the hard part, but he doesn’t even notice those.
    I’m doing it freehand, maybe I should get a lancet pen?
    I do my Dads INR tests from home with a meter, I should be better at this! Lol.

25. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Thank you,
    I’m using an iPad mini and I don’t have a desktop or laptop at home. It’s been difficult to set up, even with step by step instructions because I can’t see the instructions as I’m doing it. Plus, I’m old and not very tech savvy. :) Of course I use a pc at work but I’m more of a trained monkey who knows what buttons to push to get what I want. And I’m used to Microsoft office on my work pc. It’s been a long week with very little sleep. I’ll try To set it up again tomorrow night. Thanks to all.

26. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Okay so there’s a trick for that too. You insert the strip but not all the way in. So basically you wedge it in but don’t click it all the way in so the meter doesn’t start. Then after you get the blood you push the strip all the way in and test. It’s much faster then waiting to put the strip in and it avoids the meter from timing out. Or you can “collect” the blood from the ear onto your clean nail and test from there if your cat gets impatient quickly.

27. Diane Tyler's Mom

I understand completely I will tag 2 members who can set it up for you
    @Chris & China (GA)

@Bandit's Mom

Thanks ladies

28. Diane Tyler's Mom

You aren't old , I'm older than you, you are a spring chicken , I hope you get a good sleep, I'm not tech savvy either :cat:

29. Diane Tyler's Mom

As you test the ears they will grow more cappilaries and testing will become easier
    Aim for the sweet spot , You might want to purchase 28 gauge lancets and do it free hand on a 45 degree angle, eventually more capillaries will grow and it becomes easier
    Start to rub his ears to get him used to it, warm them up first, if need be put some rice in a sock and warm it in the microwave and put it on his ears, make sure its not to hot. You don't want to aim for the vein

[​IMG]Diabetic Cat Care Home Testing Your Cat’s BG

[​IMG]

30. Jane and Ragnar

Jane and Ragnar Member

Hi @JulzSTL ! I just joined the group a few days ago too and am glad to have found all these resources and smart people. It's quite a lot to take in, and I used to be a vet tech back in the day! I can't even imagine how hard it is to be in your situation without a regular vet.

I wanted to say that I have a cat like your that doesn't like treats, so I can empathize! It makes it hard to give meds, even compounded ones, or do training or conditioning using food rewards. I have found that she will take tiny bits of cooked chicken or fish though. Thank goodness my diabetic cat Ragnar is happy to take most treats or bits of meat! I saved some bits of my salmon from last night, and it's in the fridge for him as his treat tonight. He's already gotten a bit conditioned to the space where I've done all his "work" today and has been hanging around there whenever I'm in the kitchen. They learn fast!

31. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Well this morning I was able to test and he is at 419. I gave him 1 unit of Lantus after he ate his breakfast. He’s not too pleased with testing. he doesn’t even notice the insulin injections though.
    I forgot to put the dog’s food up before I went to bed, so it’s possible he snacked on that overnight. I’ve always free fed the dog, she’s a grazer. I’ll need to be careful with that.

He’s also having loose bowl movements but not dinking as much water.
    I have the spread sheet on my iPad, but I can’t figure out how to put it in my signature.
    Perhaps someone can assist me with that this evening. Thank to all.

32. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Thank you!

33. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Good ideas! Thank you!

34. jt and trouble (GA)

@Chris & China (GA)

35. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi you need more in your signature only because so that members don't have to keep asking you the same questions over and over I will post it again for you

36. Diane Tyler's Mom

• On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

tap on your avatar where it says your name ,then hit profile page ,tap on that ,then go up to the very top, upper right hand side and tap on your name ,it will bring down a drop box, tap on signature, the signature will be under settings, tap on the signature then and you can start to add what I posted above, make sure you hit save ,
    Welcome to the best place you could ever be and an awesome group of people

37. Diane Tyler's Mom

I will tag 2 members that can help you with yourcSzs

@Bandit's Mom

@Chris & China (GA)

38. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

39. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you so much Bhooma :cat: have a nice day

40. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Thank you. I am at work right now but I can send that information when I take lunch.
    How should I send this information to you? I’m sorry, I’m new to this forum thing. I have no idea what a signature even means.

41. jt and trouble (GA)

Click on Bhoomas name a black box will appear then click "Start a Conversation"

42. Bandit's Mom

Hi Julia, just reply to the private message that I have sent you. Type out what you want in the box below my private message (not here), and click "Post Reply".

Hi Jeanne, I already started a conversation with Julia about her Signature and SS :)

43. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

I do not see Bhoomas name

44. jt and trouble (GA)

Oh gosh I should have said her avatar ! I'm sorry:nailbiting:

45. jt and trouble (GA)

dang I have it mixed up not Bhoomas name Bandits mom

Critter Mom likes this.
  46. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

I think I started a conversation with Bandit’s mom, have not heard back yet, it was just a few minutes ago.
    I tested Sailors BG and it was 301. Fed him, or tried to feed him, just now but he refuses to eat. He’s having very loose runny stools. I was able to get an appointment for Thursday at a cat clinic in my neighborhood.

47. jt and trouble (GA)

Awwwww :bighug: Sailor

JulzSTL likes this.
  48. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

His sister Lula is going to get fat. I thought if her saw her eating it would encourage him to eat. Nope, just more for Lula.

49. jt and trouble (GA)

50. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

I got the 79 six hours after feeding and insulin

51. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Withhold food 2 hours before morning and evening pre shots ;)
    you replied yesterday but thanks again! Great number for a midday test!!

52. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks Ale I should have said PM also :banghead::cat:

53. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Thank you so much! What a wonderful, helpful group. I’ve updated Sailor’s spread sheet. He refused to eat the wet food last night and this morning. Both cats are refusing to eat any of the fancy feast flavors. I ordered three cases over the weekend. I think I’ll leave some dry food out for a bit. I can ask my teen son to pick it up later this morning. All schools in our area are virtual so he will be home. The cats thought the wet food was a treat until they realized the dry food was gone! Now they are protesting.
    He was at 112 this morning, but then he hasn’t been eating so I will not give insulin And 112 is pretty low. Due to my work schedule I will be testing around 6 am and 6 pm, then feeding (if he eats) and the insulin afterwards. I give insulin only if numbers are higher and he eats? Does that sound right?
    I received the results of his CBC yesterday. Everything except his glucose was in the normal range! He will see a feline veterinarian tomorrow. Thanks again all!

54. Bandit's Mom

Critter Mom likes this.
  55. jt and trouble (GA)

Trouble was an addict. I mixed a little can into his dry adding a little more can every day until it became a little dry into the canned I served. It worked but he STILL wanted his dry. He use to sit and stare where his dry food bowl USE to sit.:rolleyes: I felt like a monster but it was the best for his diabetes and health.

CATS AND THE GUILT TRIPS! :rolleyes::oops::facepalm::stop::banghead::blackeye:

THH & Snowcrash (GA) and JulzSTL like this.
  56. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Update, Sailor saw his new doctor today. He had not been eating for a couple of days so I did not give insulin. The vet gave me some diabetic dry food (I know, it’s not good stuff) but I have an order in for some Dr. Elsey’s dry food that should arrive next week. I’m going to try to transition him to the wet food but he’s a dry food addict. Baby steps. At least he ate some this afternoon, tonight’s BG 325, I gave him 1 unit Lantus. He’s had diarrhea so the doctor gave me metronidazole for his tummy and an appetite stimulator. I hope he is feeling better soon. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!

57. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

He was eating Iams weight management before his Dx. He’s lost 15 pounds since April. Switched to fancy feast union Dx, but he’s not impressed. I’ve ordered some Dr. Elsey’s chicken kibble but it won’t be here until next week. I’ll start mixing a little wet into the dry. All pets were used to grazing, they are not happy with the new dining policy.

58. jt and trouble (GA)

Ugh sending positives they catch on thats it makes them feel better...Hey it could happen.:p

JulzSTL likes this.
  59. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Does he act like he’s nauseated? Like goes up to the food and smells it but won’t eat it? Or licks his lips when he smells it? If yes, ask the vet to call in a prescription for an anti-nausea like Cerenia or ondansetron. The stimulant won’t work if he’s nauseated. Good luck!!

Critter Mom and JulzSTL like this.
  60. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

He ate some of the dry food this evening but I will watch in the morning for any signs of nausea. Thanks!

61. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

New question. How long should I wait between starting insulin and the day I do his first curve? Sailor started getting insulin on 9/13. I will need to do the curve on a Sunday since I work during the week and most Saturday mornings.
    BTW, he is eating better but I feel his numbers are still too high. He’s still drinking/peeing a lot.
    I had to supplement with Dr. Elsey’s dry food for him to snack on between wet food feedings.
    I bought a lancing device so testing is going MUCH better. Less stressful for me means less stress for him. And he’s enjoying the freeze dried salmon treats for being such a good boy.

62. Bandit's Mom

Hi Julia, is it possible for you to get any tests in besides the pre-shot ones? Say one before bed or before leaving for work etc? Sailor could be going low during the day or night and bouncing off those lows at pre-shot.

It would be a good idea to get a curve this weekend to see how low the current dose is taking him.

JulzSTL and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  63. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

I can do a curve on Sunday. I’m curious to see where he is between insulin injections

64. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I think what @Bandit's Mom means is daily. Can you get additional tests daily aside from the Sunday curve. Since we adjust dose by the nadir, it’s pretty impossible to get an idea of what his nadir is with preshot tests only. She’s suggesting a before bed test and another test before you leave for work...?

65. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

I test him at 6 when I wake up, then feed him, give him insulin then get myself and son ready for the day. I have to leave by 8 and do not get home until 6 or so and do the test, feed, insulin all over again while trying to get dinner etc.

66. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Just fed him. He was at 397 tonight. About to give in 1.5 units of insulin. Since I have the lancet device it’s been so much easier to test and I feel more confident getting a bit of blood without causing us both to stress. I’ll test tonight about 9 or 10.

67. jt and trouble (GA)

awesome;)

JulzSTL likes this.
  68. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

2.5 hours after food and insulin he’s at 415!

69. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

In one more day you can increase the dose again

70. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Got home a little while ago, he was at 176! Just fed him a can of Fancy Feast, I think he’s getting used to it and looking forward to being fed after testing. I also wonder if he’s been getting into the dog’s food? My little dog is a grazer and I’ve been feeding her when I feed the cats, but sometimes I forget to pick up her bowl of uneaten food.

71. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

176 is a bit too low for the normal dose. Did you shoot already? If you did, please make sure to get a +2 to see if he’s going up and I’d also leave food out for him tonight so he doesn’t drop too low overnight!

jt and trouble (GA) and Panic like this.
  72. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

73. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Technically I think Prozinc/Lantus users no-shoot number is 150. And between 150-200 you want to stall feeding to see if it will go up.

Keep an eye on him tonight since you already shot. Get a test in two hours please.

74. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Oh my gosh, yes. I was planning on testing tonight before I went to bed. He was just wrestling with the dog, they’re about the same size. He’s now stretched out on my bed looking very comfortable. I
    He’s been playing with the dog, he just walked around, went up and down the stairs ok. Got a drink of water. I’ll certainly keep an eye on him and I will definitely test before I go to bed. What should I watch for? I’ve read that they get wobbly. What else?

75. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

If you're referring to hypoglycemia, most cats aren't going to show symptoms. Some cats even drop very very low without symptoms, so you of course test to make sure.
    If a cat DOES show symptoms, you need to use karo syrup and provide high-carb gravy food. Do you have those on-hand? Everyone should as a back-up.
    Here is the article on symptoms and how to treat hypoglycemia.

Symptomatic hypos are a bigger deal than just low numbers. A cat showing symptoms in the 40s is a larger concern than no symptoms in the 30s. They're both bad, but symptomatic hypos are very serious, we don't want to get to that point.

76. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Two and a half hours since last insulin and he’s at 228. Acting very alert yet relaxed. Enjoying a little freeze dried salmon treat for being such a good boy.

77. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Sounds like it'll be a bit quiet this cycle!

A little housekeeping tip for you: on the spreadsheet, put 228 in the +2 cell and write 228 (+2.5), then manually color the cell yellow. That way people won't think he was at 228 at +3 :)

78. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

I did a curve yesterday. In the afternoon he started vomiting, the first was a hair ball, since then it’s been a foamy clear liquid, small amounts, not copious. He refused to eat 12 hours after morning insulin so I did not give him pm insulin. His BG was 433 this morning, he ate a little bit canned Ff and is drinking water. He’s had Dr. Elsey’s dry available if he wants to nibble. I gave him 1 unit of insulin. I’m not sure what’s going on with him. His numbers from yesterday are in his spreadsheet. He is still on the transdermal appetite stimulator 1x a day, rubbed inside ear in the morning. He’s acting normal. Any ideas?

79. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

What's he on the appetite stimulant for? Is this the first time he's not wanting to eat? Is he acting nauseous (licking his lips, going to the food bowl but turning away)?
    AMPS looks normal, probably bounced from last night + the fact that he went 12 hours without insulin. Check for ketones any time you skip insulin. It's natural to want to skip a shot if a cat isn't eating, but not eating + no insulin is a recipe for ketones so try to avoid skipping completely at times.

80. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

Sounds like it could be pancreatitis? Any diarrhea?

81. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Yes, he’s been having bouts of diarrhea too. I thought it may have been caused by the change in food.

82. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

He’s been off and on about food Since diagnosis. Not licking his lips but will go to the food, sniff and walk away sometimes. I broke down and gave him his favorite Fancy feast flaked fish and shrimp this morning and he ate a little of that.
    What is the best way to check urine for ketones? I’ll need to buy strips. He’s been peeing out side the litter box at times but I’ve spread out potty pads around the litter box. I guess I could turn some upside down so he pees on the plastic.

83. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

That's nausea. I wouldn't give an appetite stimulant without anti-nausea, it makes it worse. I think you need to take him in for a pancreatitis test. Sooner than later to get it handled early. Preferrably a Snap fPL, a Spec fPL will tell you how severe it is if he has it, but it takes 2-3 days whereas Snap is in-house and is basically a "yes-no" deal.

I'm not 100% sure if dipping the urine stick on the pee-pad won't result in inaccurate tests. You usually try to catch it as they pee, or some people stick a spoon under them. Others take plastic wrap and put it in the litter box.

84. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

I should also mention that we had panel done at diagnosis and all was in normal range except BG.

85. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

If I put the plastic wrap in the litter box I couldn’t be sure if it was him or my other cat.

86. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

I’ll call his doctor tomorrow.

87. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Pancreatitis wouldn't show up on a panel so that makes sense.

If you can, see if anyone you know has ondansetron/zofran. You can give 2mg every 12 hours I think. I bummed some off a friend when my vet was closed.

88. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Actually, I have some from my own bout with diverticulitis recently. They are 8mg tablets. Sailor weighs about 12 pounds.

89. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

I just cut one into quarters with a straight edge razor blade and gave him a quarter.

90. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Yes, if you could quarter it he could have it every 12 hours. Hopefully that will help!

91. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Thanks so much! What are the odds that I would actually have that drug on hand?

92. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Right! I know I had to drive 30 min to snag some ondansetron off a friend's step-son at 10PM. :woot: Must be nice to have it so quick! I hope it helps him feel better.

jt and trouble (GA) and JulzSTL like this.
  93. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

Pancreatitis requires a specific test, usually called an fPL. Usually my vet treats with anti-nausea meds, pain medications (pancreatitis is very painful), b12 shot, and fluid therapy (if needed). Diabetic cats tend to be prone to pancreatitis, unfortunately.

jt and trouble (GA) and JulzSTL like this.
  94. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

Hello all. I just tested Sailor and he’s at 90. Right now he’s eating, with gusto, which is unusual for him, even before he had diabetes. Tonight he just dove into the Friskies Liver and Chicken pate. I have a question about insulin, as low as he is should I give it to him tonight? Give him less? I need some guidance, I don’t want him to go too low. Thank you.

95. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

How soon is he due for insulin? Nevermind, seems he's due now?

I think you probably should skip with SLGS, but hang tight--I'm still new to the dosing guidelines too.

96. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

In about 30 minutes.

97. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

I think probably skip, but hopefully someone more experienced with the dosing guidelines will reply.

you may want to start a new thread in the Lantus forum with today's date in the subject and the ??? symbol, so hopefully people will see it.

98. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

99. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

First, it's important for you to understand how to use Lantus. Lantus craves consistency so you need to find a dose that you can give both AM and PM without dropping him too low.

Every time you change or skip the shot, you disrupt the depot that has to build which is why Lantus works as well as it does. The dose should be based on how low it takes him, not the Pre-shot. The Pre-shot is only to make sure he's high enough for insulin at all.

Now with SLGS, until you get more data, if he's under 150 at Pre-shot time, you should skip.

Also, it's important for you to be getting tests on every cycle if you can. A curve once a week really just isn't enough information to be able to make good dosing decisions. IF possible, you should try to get at least 1 mid-cycle test on the AM cycle and at least a "before bed" test on the PM cycle. Most cats go lower at night so it really is important to get at least that "before bed" test.

If that 90 was a valid test tonight, I think it might be best to drop his dose down to .5 and then hold it (and get those extra tests in when you can) because if the 1U dose he got this morning dropped him that much and you skipped the dose last night, 1U may be too much.

100. JulzSTL

JulzSTL Member

I was thinking the exact same thing but wanted more experienced opinions.
    My work schedule makes it difficult to get In more tests that are spaced out. I get up around 5:30-6am, test him, feed him and give him shot. This is usually all completed by 7. Then I leave the house an hour later at 8. I usually get home between 5:30 and 6 pm. I test feed and shot at that time, usually it’s all complete by 7pm. So he has a steady 12 hours between normally. So you see that during the week days it’s just not possible for me to test during the day. I need to get into the habit of testing him before I go to bed. Thanks so much for the advice.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.