New Sugarbaby, many questions!

OneSebastian

Member Since 2026
So I just got the call. My 7 year old boy Winston has diabetes.
The Vet said they are prescribing food and insulin.
The cost of the “prescription food” about fainted me.
After reading many post I will do the FF route.
I just have many questions about this whole process and would love some answers and clarification.
1. VET said it’s my option pen with 300 units 3ml or the Vial 1000? Which one should I do and why?
2. I have 3 cats they have always free fed(hard food) unfortunately finding out so far in shouldn’t have been, should I change them all to FF and just feed them all at the same time? Different plates obviously.
3. I see the FF are 3oz cans, how many does he get at a time? How many times a day? And when is the preferred time?
4. How often and when should I be checking his levels? Before or after he eats? Feed him a treat before?
5. When pricking him, I’ve noticed some people rub vaseline or Neosporin lightly before pricking. Should I do that? And which one?
6. My cat honestly has no symptoms that I can visibly see of diabetes outside of maybe eating and drinking more than the others by a little. He was peeing kind of on the side of the litter box which prompted us to take him in. His energy is there still.
I say all this to ask about “Remission”. I see a lot of post saying their cat was lucky enough to go into remission. I’m very ignorant with all this so bear with me. How do you know when they go into remission if ever? Is it likely? Is it obvious?
Lastly I will say, I am a serious overthinker with everything in life so this is hitting me with all the mixed emotions. I’ve done a ridiculous amount of research since this came up and have found a lot of good info, it’s just the questions above I have seen a little bit of different feedback on and would love everyone’s input. And PLEASE give me any other info you think is important!
Thank you all so so much!
Winston my wife and I appreciate it!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5537.jpeg
    IMG_5537.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
Welcome to FDMB
Winston is beautiful, I always tell new member, that following your instincts, is the best thing to do," Prescribed " food is not only expensive, but wrong for a diabetic cat, these foods contain between 20-30% carbs so I will try to answer all your questions, you do not mention what insulin was Winston prescribed,
1- I do not give dosing advice, but 3 units is very very high, it is always recommended to start slow with 1.0 unit, the best insulin for cats are Lantus and ProZinc they are a 12-hour insulin and gentle on the cat.
2-3 -4 feeding kibbles and free feeding are one of the main reasons for FD, most members Feed Fancy Feat Pates between 0-10% carbs, some feed up to 5%, (food chart list below, the third column contains the carb %, we are looking for DRY MATTER CARBS, having a feeding schedule is necessary, feeding 3-4 small meals or snack during the day plus the two main meals before shot, testing at least 2-3 times during the day plus before shot is the norm, most members use ReliOn Premier human monitor and strips, (Walmart) or any other human meter, you do not need a pet meter, the strips are very expensive, and is always good to keep a lot of strips handy Chewy.com has the best prices for FF, I have two cats, a Main Coon and
Corky a very large cat, I buy 4 flavors (4cases) Auto ship saves you more money I feed 1/2can in 4 meals, I also give a small snack 2 hours after shot to keep the insulin in check, if you click on Corky's spreadsheet below, and scroll to the left, you can get an idea what I feed, when and how much. Winston should not feed 2 hours prior shot, to be able to get a true reading, The transition from dry food, to wet (high to low carbs) needs to be a slow process, since it can upset Winston's stomach, and during the transition is recommended to also test at least every 3 hours for the first couple of days. switching all your cats to wet low carb food is also good, you will avoid future diabetes
5- rubbing anything before pricking can affect the strip and get an error or wrong reading.
Too early to talk about remission, it takes a about 2-3 cycles (days) depending on the insulin to even begin to see how the insulin reacts in the system, and remission begins when you start reducing the insulin, .25units at a time, an non-diabetic cats' glucose level is between 50-120. Corky is now very tight regulated he has 2-digit levels, he still gets insulin, he will be a lifetime diabetic, but his pancreas has healed. if all Winston has is diabetic everything will be a walk in the park, we can help you with dosing and any other concerns you may have, we would like you to create your signature and Winston's spreadsheet, this way we can all be on the same page, links below. please keep posting, in our main forum you will find sticky notes with much valuable information, I hope I answered all your concerns, please keep posting 🫶

Sticky - New? How You Can Help Us Help You!
https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/spreadsheets-tech-support-testing-area.6/
Info - Dr. Pierson - new Food Chart
also, a food calculator, insert the ingredients on the label to determine the carb % we are looking for DRY MATTER CARBS
Carb Calculator - Felinediabetes.com
 
Welcome to the forum! Winston is a cutie pie!

I use Lantus out of the vial, but it's really up to you! I think some people say you get less spoilage for with the pens, so they prefer them, but I have no personal experience with them (I also don't know what insulin you're using, so ymmv).

I switched both my cats to ff pates because it was safer than trying to make sure Crowley (my diabetic) couldn't get into the high carb food. PLUS as I read, I found out that the wet food was much healthier for them both, so I decided to get a wet food autofeeder. This lets me time their food even when I'm out or asleep and makes sure they're eating consistently! It took them a bit to get used to it, but now both cats eat out of it happily.

Be sure to ask about any qs you have or anything you vet says that doesn't feel right!
 
You should also know that once the transition is done, you will notice a change in the litter box, since the wet low carb food has no waste, especially the Fancy Feast, is US made and very regulated, most cats ;) will not poop as often like with the kibbles, my cats used to poop every day sometimes twice, now they poop every other day, or by the morning of the third, so this way you won't freak out thinking they are constipated.
 
You should also know that once the transition is done, you will notice a change in the litter box, since the wet low carb food has no waste, especially the Fancy Feast, is US made and very regulated, most cats ;) will not poop as often like with the kibbles, my cats used to poop every day sometimes twice, now they poop every other day, or by the morning of the third, so this way you won't freak out thinking they are constipated.
Good to know!
Any tips on transitioning my 3 furbabies over to the wet food?
 
Same way, slow transition take out one teaspoon/tablespoon of kibble every meal substitute with the low wet carb mix it well so they eat it, until they are eating only wet, make sure you see Winston eat his own so you can shoot, the protocol is TEST-FEED-SHOOT, I shoot Corky while his face is in the bowl, most members do, just go behind him pick up the scrub and shoot, make sure you shoot down not side sway not to have a fur shot
 
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Winston is a cutie pie!

I use Lantus out of the vial, but it's really up to you! I think some people say you get less spoilage for with the pens, so they prefer them, but I have no personal experience with them (I also don't know what insulin you're using, so ymmv).

I switched both my cats to ff pates because it was safer than trying to make sure Crowley (my diabetic) couldn't get into the high carb food. PLUS as I read, I found out that the wet food was much healthier for them both, so I decided to get a wet food autofeeder. This lets me time their food even when I'm out or asleep and makes sure they're eating consistently! It took them a bit to get used to it, but now both cats eat out of it happily.

Be sure to ask about any qs you have or anything you vet says that doesn't feel right!
you're going to do great
 
Back
Top