New mum, Lantus costly, best way buy insulin, so much I don't know

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patricia & Maki (GA), Feb 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Patricia & Maki (GA) Member

Hello,

Maki Kitty is our 11 year old spayed, and until now, very healthy and happy kitty! Then the diagnosis, emergency vet stay as her BG would not stay above 30, $2k later we are reeling trying to figure out how to get lantus for less than $300. She was on Prozinc and a week in had a major hypo episode that ended up with emergency vet. I feel like I need a pro diabetic cat parent to teach me the inside tips on how to manage all this (where to get insulin, insulin storage and use, what ifs, best food type, how to not feed her when she seems to be starving all day, etc.). Is there a Big sister, Little sister diabetic cat program. Anyone take me under you wing and teach me? I keep reading, watching videos, making phone calls. I have read my way through a lot of the threads here. Just soooo much and I learn better through talking or demonstration than just reading websites. Ok, thanks for listening. Y'all seem like a great group who are really on it for helping your cats.
    Meow
    Patricia

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

How much ProZinc were you giving? Are you testing the bg before each shot? If not that would be the next step. ProZinc is a great insulin but you need to test to make sure the bg is high enough.... Same with any insulin. My cat has been in it for several years.

Many who use lantus get it from Marks Marine pharmacy in Canada or use a rx code locally. ProZinc is a good price on chewy.com ($102).

All insulin should be stored in the refrigerator and by doing that it can last a good 4-5 months.

Most here feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods. I feed weruva foods. You want foods under 10 percent carb. Most of us feed several times a day. I feed morning, afternoon, dinnertime and before bed. Just no food 2 hours prior to the preshot test. No reason to let your cat be hungry. Here's a link to a food chart. https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf
    Ha ha nothing so formal as that, but there are lots of helpful folks here to help anytime. :)

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Patricia,

I'm really sorry that yourself and Maki Kitty have had such a scary start to her treatment. :bighug:

You've just found yourself an entire worldwide family of diabetic cat caregivers! :)

As you've already discovered, there is an extraordinary wealth of information here at FDMB. It can all be quite overwhelming in the early days but it does get better and easier - and sooner than you might think right now.

You can post any time with specific questions you have or requests for help on any aspect of managing a diabetic cat: feeding, insulin response, testing, peeing, pooping, the works! :) It's helpful to start a new thread each time you have a new question or request.

There are many very experienced Prozinc and Lantus users here who can help you learn the ropes and also give input specific to your situation and your kitty's needs. To help us do this, we ask you to set up a spreadsheet for your kitty to record BG readings and insulin dosing details so that experienced members responding to your posts will have the information they need in order to make safe and effective suggestions tailored to your circumstances and your kitty's response to treatment. Here's a guide to getting started:

How you can help us to help you

Now, on to some of your specific areas of enquiry on this thread.

Many members here get a prescription from their vets and order Lantus from Marks Marine Pharmacy in Canada for a lot less. Here's a link to the latest info on pricing and how to order:

Buying insulin from Canada

Most members buy the box of 5 Lantus pens at a cost of $159.99 plus $25 for shipping (prices correct as at June 2020). Members use 0.3ml U100 syringes with half-unit markings to draw up the insulin doses from the cartridge inside the pen. The box of 5 is enough to last most kitties 12 months (some for even longer if they need very small doses).

There are lots of very helpful 'sticky' info posts at the top of the Lantus/Basaglar and Levemir support group's board which will help you learn more about how Lantus works and how to use it. The post you specifically need here is the following:

Insulin care and proper handling, syringe info, drawing up doses, etc.

The recommended diet for a diabetic cat is a wet food that has less than 10% of its calories coming from carbs. Here is a link to a list of commercial cat foods:

Dr. Lisa Pierson's Cat Food List

Low carb food is used for general feeding. Many members here feed Fancy Feast classic patés but anything on the food list under 10% kcals from carbs is suitable.

We also recommend that you create a 'hypo toolkit' with some cans of higher carb foods around the 15% mark and also in the 20-30% range (e.g. Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers, Temptations treats) and honey/karo. These are used to raise BG levels in cats that are running low. More info here:

Hypo toolkit

How to treat hypos (recommended to print out a copy of this and store it with your hypo kit supplies).

When a cat is not yet regulated, its body doesn't utilise nutrients properly and that drives the incessant hunger, and they may need extra food until their BG moves into a better range (especially if they need to regain weight).

I'm assuming that you've already started Lantus here. Many members give a main feed just before administering the Lantus dose and then give some smaller meals between shot time and about +6 hours after the dose was administered. Timed feeders like the Petsafe 5 are very helpful and can be used to dispense wet food meals during the night, when the caregiver is at work, etc. The only time food should be withheld is in the two hours prior to the preshot blood test so it won't be food-influenced (unless in the situation where a cat is running low and needs food to raise it's BG level).

VERY IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE:

If Maki Kitty is currently on a higher carb diet it is vital for safety that you are home testing before you make any change to a lower carb food. The reason for this is that the reduction in carb load may result in a big drop in overall BG range and the insulin dose may need to be reduced. I very much recommend reading the following page which covers how to safely transition a cat on insulin to a lower carb diet:

catinfo.org - Feline Diabetes page

As I said above, ask away with any questions you have. We recommend initially posting on the main Feline Health board till you get the basics down. Thereafter you could post on the support group board for Lantus users.

Mogs

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Reason for edit: Added link.
  4. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Now, I wish the vet had told me even half of what y'all did in your quick responses. Would have saved Maki Kitty from the horrifying seizures a week ago, I believe.

So the emergent vet said she was reacting to the Prozinc, but based on what you wrote about the potential food change, I believe that's why she plummeted into 20-40s for BG. They gave us glycobalance wet and dry food and we switched her instantly. So the 2 units of Prozinc with the food change sent her hypo?

This site actually may have saved her life that night.

I had read here to have honey on hand and rub it on her gums. So did that as soon as we found her twitching and then the racing drive to the vet.

Thank you for the food info. I had read that section and the dosing, syringes, testing sections over past two weeks. I think we'll put her back in FF pate if that's an approved one. She ate that before and loved it. Not so thrilled with the glyco.

So are you saying I can feed her at like 7 am, give her insulin (lantus) and then still feed her during day before 7 pm feeding? She lost a lot of weight and needs some back plus she is just acting starved even eating a can and a half a day. Can she eat dry food during the afternoon?

I have not started testing yet. Vet said they'd teach me, but haven't yet. Going to watch the video and test at home myself.

5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Believe me, you're not the first with those sentiments!

So it wasn't a reaction to the ProZinc itself...it was a reaction to too high of a dose. Which yes, then caused the hypo. And you absolutely did the right thing with the honey and such, very well could have saved her life! As an FYI for the future, cats are usually very sensitive to insulin after a symptomatic hypo, so ideally the vet should have had you drop the dose for a few days while testing for ketones

I would not make any food changes until you have some testing data...you don't want to drop carbs and have too high of a dose, and end up with another hypo.

As for the feeding, she can eat however she much except in the 2 hr time frame before each shot. We want the AM and PM BG tests to not be influenced by food, at least right now. No dry food because it's too high of carbs, I'd continue to feed her as much of her current wet food as she'll eat. Someone above linked a post about the timing of meals and the automatic feeders. After you get some test data in, we can look at safely transitioning to a low carb wet food (also linked in a post above).

What is your current dose of Lantus? Can you get a test in before her shot tonight?

6. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Maki is now on 2 units lantus am & pm. She was on one unit for a week past the crisis. She was there all day Monday for a glucose curve and they increased her to two units. So this is day 4 of 2 units twice daily.

Ok. I will not change food. Thanks for making the clear. I appreciate all the direction I can get. Just want to give her a happy life again.

I will do my first test around 6 pm before feeding her at 7 pm and Lantus right after. If that's not right, just spell it out for me.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Thank you, all, for leading us in the right direction and with baby steps. I had zero appreciation of what a diabetic animal needs or feels.

FrostD and Critter Mom like this.
  8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Don't worry, you'll get there. We all feel the same way, just want them to feel better.

Do you by chance have the results of the curve you could share?

With Lantus you can test right before you feed. So if shot time is 7pm, your schedule would be this:
    - 5pm remove food
    - 6:50p start test (I'm giving wiggle room because it might take you a few tries to get the hang of it and get a reading).
    -7p feed and shoot, can be at the same time
    - 9/10p a "before bed test" just to see how she's reacting to the shot

The 2U of insulin makes me a bit cautious given the past hypo, and that the curve was done at the vet where values are usually a bit higher from stress. @Critter Mom do you know who might be around tonight to advise on dose? Or can you advise on dose? I'm not yet familiar with everyone on the Lantus forum.

@Patricia A Gray in the meantime, please be sure to read through all of the linked stuff above. Most importantly getting your spreadsheet and signature set up, putting together a hypo tool box, and then ordering ketone testing supplies if you don't already have them.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

Hi Melissa.

I'd suggest tagging: 'tiffmaxee' (Elise); 'Christie and Maverick'; the moderators. FYI, if ever you're looking for someone to help when America's asleep, Bron is in Australia and she has very good Lantus experience ('Bron and Sheba (GA)'). If ever you're stuck, post on the Lantus board to let experienced members know that someone on FH quickly needs dosing advice and include a link to the thread on FH. Also, Bhooma is in India ('Bandit's Mom'). She also has good Lantus experience (although I'm not sure how much she does WRT dosing input).

I'm in the UK so won't be around, but I'm loath to say much on dosing in the absence of data (unless it's where I consider a cat to be potentially in imminent danger and a dose reduction/skip is indicated).

Mogs

FrostD likes this.
  10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Yes. The recommended starting dose is only 1 unit.... The food she was on was high carb... It would have been a good idea to test a few days after the food change to see if she even needed insulin. If it was still elevated, then start on just 1 unit.

Yes. I feed four times a day. Just no food 2 hours prior to the preshot test so the number is not food influenced. I would avoid the dry if you can. Giving a few as a treat for testing is ok, but I wouldn't make a meal of it.

You aren't alone, we are here to help

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Critter Mom

Just a little safety addendum to the above:

If the preshot BG reading is under 200, DO NOT FEED OR GIVE INSULIN. Instead, post a new thread with the following title 'MM/DD Maki Kitty - PMPS under 200 - Stalling: Need Help ASAP With Lantus Dosing"

Test again in 20-30 minutes to see whether Maki's blood glucose (BG) has risen over 200. Hopefully by that time you'll have had members reply to your request for help.

Question: Has Maki ever tested positive for ketones?

Mogs

Diane Tyler's Mom and Dyana like this.
  12. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Ok going to follow your test, feed, inject schedule. I was a bit worried at 2 units also given the PZI fiasco.

I just watched the ketone testing video, general testing, and insulin administration. Will order ketone strips and get my spreadsheet setup tonight/ tomorrow. Will request glucose curve from vets office Monday.

Thank you for holding my hand. When she stiffened up and yelled on the car ride to the vets my heart broke. Then she went limp as I raced her up the ramp at the vets office. Still having recurrent nightmares of that.

Truly grateful for y'all taking us in and teaching!

Dyana, JanetNJ and Critter Mom like this.
  13. Critter Mom

Lots of help with testing:

Home testing links and tips

Testing and injection tips

One of the best tips - especially in the early days - is to warm the ear much more and much longer than you think might be needed (helps to increase the blood supply to the ear). The following diagram shows you the optimum place to do the poke (the 'sweet spot'):

[​IMG]

Mogs

14. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Thanks! That's kind of where I'm at right now...I'm far too new to Lantus to say.

@tiffmaxee @Christie & Maverick @Wendy&Neko @Marje and Gracie @Bron and Sheba (GA)

Question here on dosing - Maki Kitty was started on 2U ProZinc, and had a symptomatic emergent hypo a few days in. After the hypo, it was reduced to 1U for a week. After a curve at the vet on Monday, they increased him back up and switched to 2U Lantus, and he's been at that dose since. Patricia will try her first test tonight. Can someone advise on dose? Perhaps it's ok to stick with 2U if above 200, I just wanted to raise the question.

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. Critter Mom

I am so sorry that the two of you went through that, but in the circumstances you did everything right, Patricia. If you had been online here that night and Maki was showing those clinical signs we would have advised you to get to the ER as fast as possible, and that's exactly what you did. You saved your dear girl's life. You did good.

(((Patricia and Maki Kitty)))

:bighug:

Mogs

tiffmaxee likes this.
  16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

When a cat was on a previous insulin, we take that dose into consideration when suggesting a starting Lantus dose. You do not "start over". Having said that, once we've got some spreadsheet data with tests, we'll be able to make some concrete dose suggestions. In general, we do not determine the dose based on the preshot value, but rather the nadir, or how low the dose takes the cat. Which is why we recommend getting some tests between the shots.

Critter Mom and FrostD like this.
  17. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Light bulb just went on. Thank you for the way you wrote that. No matter how many times I watched and tried to understand nadir importance I just was not getting it. The way you wrote it made it stands out clearly. Thanks. Data on Maki Kitty forthcoming. Fingers crossed I learned well from the videos on getting a blood drop.

18. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Thank you. So you'd advise keeping the 2U Lantus dose for tonight as long as pre shot is above 200?

19. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Thank you for saying that. I thought I'd killed her by giving her too much insulin. May no other Kitty or any pet guardian go through that.

Maki is a funny story. I was a dog person all my life, but really am an animal person. I would have adopted every creature if I could. Maki is my first cat and she was a birthday present. You know they say don't get pets as presents. Well imagine my surprise when I got a cat and all the fixings. After my last dog I just couldn't bring myself to get another dog. A friend saw how much I had to give to a pet so she rescued Maki from a marina litter. All her litter mates had fallen in the ocean and drowned. She was clinging to life. Lo and behold 10 years ago she popped out of a birthday package and has stolen or hearts as the funniest (supersonic Kitty mode), sweetest (I am disabled and when really sick she stays with me close), smarty pants, and so much more.

Dyana and Critter Mom like this.
  20. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

No, I'm suggesting setting up a spreadsheet and getting more data.

21. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I understand that, but all we'd have is a pre shot value for tonight since this is first day home testing. That's why I asked the question about dose for tonight...no data to go off, plus the hypo and changing dose over the past week. I wasn't sure what the best path would be (I..e holding the 2U, perhaps dropping to 1.75U etc) until there is more data.

Critter Mom likes this.
  22. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Cats can be more sensitive to insulin after a symptomatic hypo. Was any testing done at home while using Prozinc?

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Yippee. Got first test in. So helpful all the videos tips.

She was 217 just now. Now feeding her.

No, I did no home testing on the Prozinc. I just didn't even know that was a thing or needed. Vet never mentioned. This why I am now refusing to be ignorant and risk her health.

So first data point 2/5 @ 1915 BG=217 utilizing a contour test meter

JanetNJ and Critter Mom like this.
  24. tiffmaxee

As Wendy said it’s hard to figure out a dose without data. I would not shoot 2.0 given that prozinc caused a hypo on that dose. Congrats on getting your first test.

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Critter Mom

Nice one! :cat:

Mogs

26. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Ok. Will get another data point in 2 hours? What is standard for testing to get best spreadsheet?
    I have 1.5U.
    Will watch and stay with her now thru night. She can have a snack in 2 hours after her next test?

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Good job!

She can eat whenever she wants now, just remove the food again 2 hours before her AM shot. The only "fasting" tests are AMPS and PMPS.

I would get a +2/3 test (so 2 or 3 hrs after the shot), and a +5/6 (5 or 6 hours after the shot). If the +2/3 is lower than 150 ish I'd keep a closer eye on her.

Over the next few days I would continue to do the +2/3 and +5/6 each day, and "fill in the blanks" as you can. So here and there get a +1, or a +7, +10, etc.

28. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Team Maki,
    I can't say enough how your hand holding and step-by-step instructions are helping me. I just couldn't retain all I was reading.

Ok. She's good right now. Seems happy and active. I am getting the idea on all the acronyms here, the data needed.

Thank you from the bottom of our so-happy-to-be-hers hearts.

Critter Mom likes this.
  29. tiffmaxee

It will take a week for the depot to build. Feel free to post on the LLB forum if you need help and nobody is around here. Are you feeding her both the wet and dry foods? Any medications? When you get a chance to start a signature you can put all this info there so you won’t get asked the same questions over and over. I see you are using the Contour human meter so that will go there too.

Critter Mom likes this.
  30. Critter Mom

This might help:

FDMB Glossary

Mogs

31. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

• when you get a chance ,It would be helpful if you can set up your signature so we don't have to ask you the same questions over again. Members will look at this first . Members would have to look up your previous posts to see what insulin you are using
    • It appears after each post in gray, look at mine,

• On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

tap on your avatar where it says your name ,then hit profile page ,tap on that ,then go up to the very top, upper right hand side and tap on your name ,it will bring down a drop box, tap on signature, the signature will be under settings, tap on the signature then and you can start to add what I posted above, make sure you hit save ,
    Welcome to the best place you could ever be and an awesome group of people
    You can also add where you live in your profile, not your signature

This is at the bottom of every ones post in gray

32. Diane Tyler's Mom

33. Diane Tyler's Mom

34. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Morning,
    Not successful with last evening late and this mornings testing. Maki ran and hid. From what I read and watched I shouldn't chase her so she doesn't feel cornered or associate testing with bad things happening. So I let it go? Was that the right thing to do? The other factor is when my partner hold her on a counter for me, I do a better job. Tried alone between my knees and it was all wrong.

So fed her now and will test in 2+ and 5+. If that's the right lingo. I was so intimidated at first on the site with all the acronyms, numbers, it looked like secret code for a military operation. Now I know it's Kitty code for meet my Kitty and their history in one snapshot.

So she ate

Critter Mom likes this.
  35. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I was very intimidated too! All those numbers, signs.. then I found the dictionary :D
    Don't you worry, we've all been new to this, felt stupid and not understanding what's going on, or even been able to read what the heck someone is writing :woot:
    I'm also challenged by not having English as a first language. But you'll get the hang of it before you know it!:bighug:

And it's actually very handy once you understand everything, it means quick response and we can easily see what's happening and what you need of help, once your spreadsheet is up. My spreadsheet is really like my new best friend :D

And welcome!:bighug:
    I really hope your journey from now on is without any trouble!

36. Patricia & Maki (GA)

I am keeping this thread going because I can read back a click on the links yet again. Trying to drill this into my head.

So tested just now 0950, partner held Maki and it went smoothly.

159 BG after feeding at 0730 and 2U lantus.

Critter Mom likes this.
  37. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Critter Mom likes this.
  38. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Larry and Kitties, SingleCare coupon prices are lower and ther is no pet restriction
    Thank you, I was just about to pay $259!!! ouch

Critter Mom likes this.
  39. Critter Mom

Hi Patricia,

Yep. Spot on. :)

Here's a great vid on behavioural training. Its focus is on giving injections, but the techniques are equally applicable to home testing:

As you correctly observe, the idea is to associate a designated testing station with nice things happening, so that the actual poke becomes coincidental in the kitty's mind.

Another thing to keep a handle on is one's own anxiety about testing because our little ones are so good at picking up on our own emotional states. This tendency can actually be turned to human advantage because if we can make a good fist of pretending that all is cool and wonderful with the world and testing is just how it is, no biggie, it may help to reassure and calm the cat. Try singing something silly or cheerful, or talking in a sing-songy voice. (Serious suggestion - it can help relax both cat and human.)

Mogs

Patricia & Maki (GA) likes this.
  40. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Mog,
    So far today Maki has tested 2+ 159, 5+ 134.
    Should she keep dropping? When should I expect a low?

JanetNJ likes this.
  41. Critter Mom

Good job catching that 134, Patricia.

While it's not possible to say for certain - especially for kitties that are just starting to be monitored at home - as a general guide, the lowest BG level (nadir) in a 12-hour cycle for a Lantus cat is more likely to occur in the period between +4 and +6 hours after the dose was administered but there's no guarantee of that: it may occur earlier or later, and there can be variability from day to day, from cycle to cycle. As you gather more data for Maki, it will help you get a better feel for her particular style of response.

For today, that 134 is in a good safe range for +5 hours into the cycle. (Note: If BG drops to 50 or below on a human meter that's when you need to start giving high carb food, maybe syrup/honey too, to bring numbers up into a safe range and keep them there. Remember you can always post for help here - use the 911 thread title prefix - if you need urgent assistance.)

I'd suggest getting another test at +6. If Maki's BG hasn't started coming up at that stage, test again at +7. Post for help at any time if you're worried about her BG level or how she's acting.

Is she due a feed at all?

Mogs

42. Diane Tyler's Mom

Nice numbers so far .
    Surf safely Maki :bighug::cat:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  43. Critter Mom

It's there (Contour).

Mogs

44. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Those are some pretty nice numbers!

And the spreadsheet is correct that you gave 2U this morning?

45. Diane Tyler's Mom

Woops I see it was already there , my bad, thanks Mogs, I'll delete mine :cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  46. Patricia & Maki (GA)

All numbers today are accurate for BG and dose.

9+ is 330. I obviously missed the low, i guess?
    Now she had fish flakes as a snack and we PMPS at 1910 this evening. I will run out of test strips in the next day or two.
    Not a big deal. Just want to decide on a meter that works best for us. I had the contours from my own BG testing 2+ years ago.
    SO thinking ahead on next strips.

Critter Mom likes this.
  47. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Most of us here use Walmart’s Relion which has the most affordable test strips (100 for about $17) and as you can see, that’s where most of the money goes since you go through them pretty fast.

did anyone mention about positive association and always giving a treat immediately after testing so she knows she’ll get a reward?

48. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Yes on the positive association for testing and insulin. Hence, at 1620 when I did get BG (330) I gave her fish flakes after... Immediately. She loves those things and I think they work cause they are basically protein.

I am still reading about carbs and food s. Don't quite get it yet so trying to figure out if her greenies are too high carb treats?

This had been a crash course so sure I am doing things wrong still.

Critter Mom likes this.
  49. Diane Tyler's Mom

Greenies are very high in carbs

50. Patricia & Maki (GA)

ok, so greenies go in the hypo kit, thanks

Shelley & Jess and Critter Mom like this.
  51. Diane Tyler's Mom

Yes :cat:

52. Diane Tyler's Mom

I know many members feed freeze dried treats
    There are many kinds. Maybe start a new thread something like this
    ? Recomendation for freeze dried treats

53. Critter Mom

Hi Patricia,

You did great with the testing today! :cat:

I'm about to sign off and I don't think I'll be online tomorrow (not feeling so good). I'm tagging @Bron and Sheba (GA) [Australia] and @Bandit's Mom [India] to ask them to pop in if they come online while America's (mostly) asleep just to make sure you're doing OK.

Tip:

If you've posted for help on Feline Health and the board is quiet, you can always try posting on the Lantus/Basaglar and Levemir Board if you need assistance in a hurry (more footfall there). Here's a link to their board index in case you might need it:

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/

Wishing yourself and Maki Kitty a safe and smooth night.

:bighug:

Mogs

Reason for edit: Formatting.
  54. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Oh Mogs, sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Gentle hugs

Maki Kitty is doing well this afternoon, thank you for letting the others know to watch over us. That is so sweet and appreciated.
    She is more energetic and inquisitive than she has been in weeks.

I will test, feed, dose, retest tonight, then am. Keeping spreadsheet open and I add data as I go.
    Thanks for helping save and give our kitty a better life.

55. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Any dry food or treat pretty much is high in carb. The best treats are freeze dried like PureBites and VitaEssential. The flakes are good too, mainly protein like you said

56. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

And when you have a chance, we’d love to see a picture of Maki :cat:

Critter Mom and FrostD like this.
  57. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Ok. Best laid plans. Tried her 3 times for PMPS... Got nothing. Error codes on meter possibly due to too little blood or too slow uptake in strip. So stopped torturing her and gave up. Think I am just not skilled at the prick and milking it So no new BG.
    1933 2/6 : Fed and gave 1.5 U lantus to play it safe? Gave her treats, 1/2 can of wet and 1/2 cup dry food. Am I feeding her too much food?

58. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

With the gaps in tests, it's a bit hard to say. But given the +9 value, I'd say 1.5 should be ok. I'd also just hold that dose for a few days for consistency (and until the tests are more reliable).

Same as yesterday, try for a +2/+3 test before bed.

I say let her eat as much as she wants, provided she's not overweight. In fact, that may also have saved you with that hypo. Most of our cats tend to be underweight because they don't process the food properly. Once we have some more solid data in the spreadsheet we'll look to transition her food to something more low carb, but for now just keep doing what you're doing. And be sure she has food available near nadir in case she does start to go low.

Edit: *Hold the dose unless you get a preshot below 200, or any test at all below 100. In that case stall and post here or in Lantus forum.

59. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Edit: *Hold the dose unless you get a preshot below 200, or any test at all below 100. In that case stall and post here or in Lantus forum.[/QUOTE]

Uh oh. I already gave her 1.5U. Is there a problem?

60. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Uh oh. I already gave her 1.5U. Is there a problem?[/QUOTE]
    This is what I meant about having to make an educated guess - since you weren't able to get a preshot, we're not 100% sure where Maki was. It's also why everyone is a bit hesitant to recommend doses. This is completely normal when starting out with home testing! It's just tricky territory, but does get much easier once you find a groove with testing. Just takes time.

Since you had already given the shot, I was just saying that with the +9 being in the 300s, 1.5U should be ok. But really be persistent about the before bed test at +2/+3 and make sure she has food available.

My edit was just reiterating the general guidelines for people starting out, since I know you've had a lot of information thrown at you.

61. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Maki is resting on her bed and I keep checking her to make sure no behavioral changes. I have left her food ball down for the night with the glycobalance dry food in it.

I tired a 1+ and got another error (E2 & E3). I am not getting enough blood in the strip. Bad news that used up my last strip. Can't find others. (We sold our house and are packing so things are 'missing'.)

That leads to a side question. I've tried searching on Kitty stress. With us packing and moving, Maki scans every room every day as more and more furniture and stuff disappears. Maybe this is a long shot, but does that possibly effect her BG?

Thanks so much for you continued dialogue with us.

62. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Those error codes are the band of all.our existence :arghh:

As for the blood drop, aim for a drop the size of the ball on a ball point pen for now. That'll be a bit more than you need, but a good gauge. It might take a bit of milking at the beginning. But as long as you're warming the ear and using the "sweet spot", it'll eventually get better. I actually can test along the whole ear now with no problem.

The other error code I think is from the strip sitting in the meter too long. Here's how I avoid that:
    - Insert the strip only partially into the meter...if the meter turns on, you've gone too far. I've had no trouble pulling it back out so the meter turns off, then partially reinserting again but more shallow. The intent is two-fold - it gives me a bit more time, and then I can also use the meter one handed while the other holds the ear.
    - When I have enough blood, I turn the meter on. It indicates to insert a strip, so I push the strip in the rest of the way. Then the meter indicates I need to take the sample, so I do.

I use a ReliOn Prime, so your meter might behave a little differently.

As for stress, yes stress can elevate BGs. It's hard to say if her numbers are high because I don't have past data to compare it to, but I will say the numbers you've gotten so far are good!

Can you make a run to the store in the morning?

Critter Mom likes this.
  63. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Yes I plan to get strips and insulin tomorrow morning. I seriously thought I had a whole container of them. Voila.. No idea where.

Should I still feed and shoot 7 am? Stores won't be open until 9 ish. We live in a rural area of PA.

64. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Insulin? Was that a typo, or are you getting a new vial/changing insulin?

I really can't advise here...if it were me, I'd skip the shot and monitor for ketones because I'm too uncomfortable shooting without any data for the 15 hrs prior to the shot. Let me tag @Bron and Sheba (GA) and @Bandit's Mom to see what they think.

Critter Mom likes this.
  65. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Patricia
    Regarding what to do about the dose tonight.......Does Maki have any history of ketones that you know of? The vet may have mentioned them at diagnosis.

Also you need to stick to the same dose and not chop and change it. Not sure why you started with 1.5 units then went to 2 units the next cycle. You need to stay at the 1.5 units for 5 to 7 days for the depot to fill and stabilise. Lantus likes consistency. If the BG dropped under 50 you would immediately drop to 1.25 units.
    I would not give 2 units of Lantus if 2 units of Prozinc sent Maki into a hypo.
    Bron

Critter Mom likes this.
  66. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Thank you for all guidance. I dropped to 1.5 cause I was worried she'd go low again. Since 2 put her in hypo, I've been nervous.

This morning she will not come to me. I think my multi sticks last night may have been a negative experience?

My vet talked very little with me about any of this. We had to give her to then in the parking lot (due to covid) and then they delivered her back to the car with a bunch of stuff in hand (Prozinc, needles, new wet and dry food). So literally her life flipped on a dime. No mention of ketones. What I have learned about those I got here from the files and posts. I have not tested for any.

Sorry team, I know I am probably making this worse with my inexperience and long learning curve.

Ok so now what? Do I feed her and then insulin 2U if she'll let me near her?

67. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

We understand, it's a lot to learn and very few vets actually do a good job helping us.

I would treat 1.5U as your standard dose for now, the general consensus seems to be 2U is risky given the ProZinc hypo at the same dose. This means if you get preshots above 200, to give 1.5U. Below that, post for help on Lantus board. And any time you get a "green" test (green on the spreadsheet) I'd ask for advice on the Lantus board as well.

Unfortunately without test strips, I can't recommend anything...it's your call if you're comfortable shooting without knowing her numbers. Just know the ketones are much more likely with insufficient insulin (such as reduced or skipped doses)... usually (but not always) combined with some sort of underlying infection and not enough food.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  68. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

It's probably about time to start reading through the stickies in the Lantus forum. Most of the recommendations we're giving here are from the stickies, just trying not to overwhelm you with too much info and links in the beginning.

Those stickies will help you understand the insulin itself, and why certain numbers are the recomended cutoffs. Also what to do in a variety of situations.

69. Patricia & Maki (GA)

I am hoping this will make sense.
    The Vet started Maki on 2U prozinc bid. The vet put her immediately on wet and dry Glycobalance. All this time I was very unsure when to feed, how much or not, snacks. It was a great deal of change all at once. After ~9 days she had the hypo attack and we nearly lost her. The emergency vet after the second day said no more Prozinc. So Lantus 1U is what they prescribed. They sent us back to our regular vet for a glucose curve and future management. Glucose curve was last Monday and the vet increased her to 2U bid. Through all this I came in knowing next to nothing about diabetes, testing, insulin, the whole gig. SO I scrambled to read, watch videos, learn any way I could fast. The vet left us with the impression that this should be nothing. Not suggesting we test or check anything, just give 2U bid after meals.

So my decreasing from Lantus 2 to 1.5U came as I got more nervous that the return to the 2U bid might send her hypo again. Meanwhile, I had started testing using my old contour meter. Then ran out yesterday of strips after multiple failed tests. This morning, we ran out in the snow and Walmart only had a Relion meter and strips. The contour shelves were bare. So got a premier relion and strips and picked up ketone test strips. Will watch video about Ketones now and figure out testing (why, when, how). Wasn't looking to buy a new meter as I purposedly went looking for AlphaTrak since it required less blood and some of my testing failures seemed to be due to insufficient blood. So the supplies is an area I am trying to navigate on a budget.

Along with this, the tiny special vial of Lantus the emergency vet had us get is running low. So I just started pricing and trying to find Lantus. Called the 'local' pharmacies and they did not have any Lantus vials. So tried again today but Walmart pharmacy not open yet today (Sunday, snow, rural PA). So have enough left for probably 2 days. I am not changing types of insulin, just needed a new vial of the Lantus to keep going.

2/7 Maki's AMPS=268 with the new Relion Premier. She ate from her food ball on and off all night and I got up every hour to check on her. She wouldn't sleep with us or even come upstairs which is very unlike her. Did all my stress and failed testing scare her or create a negative association? How do I keep that from becoming an issue?

She has not eaten her wet food as of 1030. Not sure if that's due to eating kibble throughout night or she is just not hungry due to stress? So I have not given her insulin this morning yet. Needless to say I am now all confused on what I do.

70. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you Ale :bighug::cat:

71. Diane Tyler's Mom

https://www.singlecare.com/?utm_medium=paid-search&utm_source=google-sc-branded&utm_campaign=11294466188&utm_adgroup=110828820677&utm_term=single care coupons&utm_content=471193154808&matchtype=e&pos=&device=t&mkwid=s|dt_pcrid_471193154808_pkw_single care coupons_pmt_e&segments=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzterh5XY7gIVSv_jBx0aQgm8EAAYASAAEgKJ8fD_BwE

Here is a coupon from single care , hopefully Walmart will have a vial in stock
    Like others have suggested I would go ahead and buy the lantus pens from Marks Marine in Canada, 5 pens should last you a year. So you don't run out
    Good luck finding it today :cat:

72. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand. In my opinion the ReliOn is a better choice on a budget, as the AlphaTrak strips are $1 each. ReliOn much less than that. Additionally, the Lantus guidelines here were developed with the human meters.

As for the insulin, most of us order from Mark's Marine Pharmacy in Vancouver, MUCH cheaper. I'm in Ohio, it did take about 8 days to get here...so it won't solve your immediate issue. Hopefully you can source another small vial tomorrow when things are open.

And I'm sorry I'm really not experienced enough yet with Lantus to recommend anything in this situation (not eating, higher carb foods, shot delayed now and your schedule will be off, etc). You could try posting in the Lantus forum with a link to this thread.

As for the negative associations, just keep following the advice given earlier about making it as positive as you can. Eventually she'll settle down for you, but she's got a lot going on lately, poor girl.

73. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Diane, just a quick note -
    We did let her know about the lower carb food, but the advice given on this thread was to not make food changes until the testing was more reliable (especially given the hypo), plus we knew she would be running out of strips soon.

74. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Also @Patricia & Maki we suggest starting a new thread once it gets past 50 replies, and I see we're past that. I would start a new post in Feline Health to continue the conversation, just be sure to put a link to this thread for reference (and so you don't have to repeat yourself).

75. Diane Tyler's Mom

How's Minnie doing Ale?

76. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks for letting me know , I'm going to delete my post, thanks so much Melissa :cat:

FrostD likes this.
  77. Patricia & Maki (GA)

I knew nothing about all this when it hits. When the vet put a bag of dry and case of wet food in the car and said feed her this. That's what I did. I would like to go back to FF pates as that was her regular favorite before FD. When I mentioned changing food this week it was suggested I wait since there are soooo many things in flux for us.

Ok. So now she ate half her usual morning wet food. I read the pages about schedule disruptions and trying to get back on 7/7. It's 1130 now. Do I insulin her? How much? No kibble all day? It's another of my confusions. She was a free feeder and wet in morning and food ball at night (throughout the night as she liked). Vet said that's fine keep doing that, but I don't think it's working. I seriously don't understand how I get her to gain weight with only 2x/day feeding of wet food?

Team, please do not give up on us. I feel like an starting to hear frustrations in some of your responses. I am literally reading articles, stickies, threads, tips, instructions as fast and often as I can. My head feels like it's going to pop. I am a challenged learner, will keep trying, just please don't give up on us.

Thank you!

78. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

No frustration! I just have a toddler bouncing off the walls all day, and often have to be quick in replies before she maims herself :confused:

At this point, totally your call. If you do give a shot, I'd keep it at 1.5U, now that we know she ate. The next one has to be about 12 hrs from now. With Lantus, you "walk it back" 15 minutes at a time...so the earliest you could give it is 11 hrs and 45 mins from now. If you choose not to give a shot, be sure to check for ketones. And give 1.5U at the regular time tonight, keeping the aforementioned safety guidelines in mind.

As for food, yes it's often better to do smaller meals. But right now, I free feed because Mr Kitty is not regulated and needs to maintain weight. So he gets 1.5 cans in the morning, and 1.5 cans at night (any more, and he just leaves it to go to waste). The data I have shows he doesn't drop during the day yet, but I just make sure he has food available on the very off chance he needs it.

So, to recap:
    - Focus on getting testing down for now. Continue to give 1.5U unless the safety guidelines we've mentioned indicate otherwise. The PS tests and at least one mid cycle test (+4 to +7) are the critical pieces of data right now.
    - Let her eat, especially since she's underweight. It's more important she has food on board in order to help guard against ketones and hypos. We'll worry about food transition after a week or so of solid testing
    - Please start a new thread. I'd appreciate it if you could tag me in it so I don't miss it

79. Critter Mom

Hi Patricia,

Just on a quick dip into the forum and wanted to check how yourself and Maki Kitty are doing. It's good that you were able to pick up the Relion meter, meter strips and ketone strips.

As Melissa rightly comments above, please do not make any changes to the mix of Maki's normal wet and dry food proportions at this time, Patricia.

You need to know more about how Maki's responding to the 1.5IU dose of Lantus.

Unlike an 'in-out' insulin like Prozinc, each successive dose of Lantus builds on previous doses to create a little 'tank' of insulin under the skin (the 'depot'). The insulin in the depot releases gradually and that is what gives Lantus better duration. It takes several days for the depot to fill, and only when it is fully established for the current dose will you be able to gauge the effectiveness and safety of that dose. If you were to start trying to reduce the dietary carb load at the same time you would have too many moving parts and it would increase the risk of Maki going into low numbers (and we don't want that!).

When you have more test data and have a clearer understanding of Maki's response to her Lantus, you can then consider adjustments to her diet.

Mogs

80. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Ok. This is my last post here as I have noted the requests to move to the lantus area, start a new thread and tag a person. All things I will learn as I shift over to new thread.

Thank you for explaining the Lantus depot. I read about it, but guess I didn't get it the first time reading it.

I did not shoot Maki today yet. It seemed late. So doing some spot checks on BG this afternoon and ketone check. Then PMPS, eat, shoot.. Hopefully back on track.

I don't know how some of you wonderful people do so much for your kitties (and families). Thank you for caring and juggling your lives while helping ours.

81. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Hi Diane! Minnie has been doing amazingly well. My little Amazon warrior princess has even had a few encounters with a neighbors outdoor cat who decided he likes our backyard and she’s chased him off. Thank you for thinking of her auntie Diane! :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  82. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

You don’t need the Lantus via. You can get the pen and use the syringe to draw from it just as you would with the vial

83. Critter Mom

Could you not get one on eBay?

(I'll get me coat...)

;)

On a serious note, Ale, I am absolutely delighted to hear that Minnie is doing so well! :cat: You're great a kitty mama, you've done wonders looking after your girl, and she's blessed to have you. :)

(((Ale and Minnie)))

Mogs

84. Critter Mom

Hi Patricia,

Love the picture of Maki Kitty! She's a beautiful girl. :cat: You're doing very well with the near-vertical learning curve that is feline diabetes. :)

Wishing yourself and Maki the very best over in the Lantus group. (I have PTSD. That board is very 'busy' and I find it overwhelming so I rarely visit or post on it.)

(((Patricia and Maki)))

Mogs

85. Diane Tyler's Mom

Oh Ale I'm happy to hear Minnie is doing well. You go there Minnie, that's your backyard :p. Nice to hear from you Ale and give Minnie a kiss for me .
    Hope you have a good day :bighug::bighug::cat:

86. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Awwww thank you so much Mogs. I was just talking to my sister and saying that as long as she’s herself and has quality of life, I don’t mind getting up at 7am on weekends and holidays to test and give insulin and give her all the other daily meds she’s on. I promised when she was a kitten that I’d take care of her not just when it’s easy, but when it’s hard too :bighug::bighug::bighug:

you guys are all amazing cat moms too and your cats are lucky to have you as well!!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  87. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I will and you too!! You know me, I’d have posted a photo of I didn’t keep getting that annoying error message :p:rolleyes::smuggrin::joyful:

88. Critter Mom

Awwww! (((Ale and Minnie))) :bighug:

Mogs

89. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Mogs,
    Thanks for getting us to this point. The L&L is busy. I am still learning...zoooom.

Good afternoon with Maki watching it snow.️

Critter Mom likes this.
  90. Critter Mom

Glad to help a bit, Patricia.

Final tip: try to get a PM+2 every night, firstly because to understand how the Lantus is working you need to get readings during the AM and PM cycles (and many cats run lower at night). Secondly, a +2 test may give an indication of how the rest of the cycle might go. In particular, if the +2 test is lower than the preshot then that's a signal that further testing is highly advisable because BG could potentially drop significantly by nadir.

Blessings to you both. :)

(((Patricia and Maki Kitty)))

Mogs

91. Patricia & Maki (GA)

Mogs,
    Thanks for staying in touch. How are you feeling?

You explanations of what, when and especially why continue to educate and encourage. I didn't know day and night cycles could be different. I will test Maki again on 2+ and 4+ since we are a bit ahead of schedule this evening. Nighttime worries me so I keep getting up throughout the night.

Critter Mom likes this.
  92. Critter Mom

I'm extremely tired, Patricia. Thank you for asking. Because of the PTSD my sleep is very disordered plus I've been trying to do more than I'm really able for so my body has taken the legs out from under me. (One of us needs sense! ;) )

As you gather more readings for Maki, you'll start getting a much better feel for her pattern of response to the Lantus. All going well, that should start to give you more peace of mind. You'll get lots of help on the Lantus board. Also, if ever you're worried about Maki's numbers being on the low side you'll be able to post for help. There is usually someone online in the Lantus group and they'll be able to support you and guide you on when to test and feed to keep Maki safe.

Mogs

FrostD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.