New member

Spruitje

Member Since 2026
Hi everyone,
Starting my introduction now although I’ve been reading and lurking around for 2 months now 🫣
My 11 year old female cat Spruitje has been diagnosed with diabetes at the end of June and my world stopped spinning at that time.
We went to the vet mainly because she started losing weight despite her eating more, drinking and urinating more.
Bloodworks showed elevated glucose levels 26,6 mmol/l and Fructosamine 506. Vet wanted urineanalyses before diagnosing so a week went by before we were able to collect, and results showed over 1000 glucose levels.
He didn’t give much info, only that we could pick up ‘the new oral medication’ the next day and that he would write the dose on the box. I asked what we should monitor at home, but according to him we didn’t had to watch anything, just administer the medicine and come back after 2weeks for follow up.
Next day my husband went to get the medicine, didn’t see the vet and came home with a bottle of Senvelgo.
So I googled this drug and completely freaked out. Lost all trust in the vet (but that was already building up) made an appointment at a different vet, who confirmed the diagnosis (bloodworks at new vet was glucose level 16,9 and Fructosamine 602 but bloodsample was hemolytic 🤦‍♀️)
He gave the green light to start with Senvelgo, said he would advise to monitor ketones by urine sticks and come back for follow up after 4 weeks (husband had to go to vet alone and didn’t ask al the questions I had written down)
In the meantime I have been reading and searching a lot and had ordered a blood glucose and ketone meter to keep track of Spruitje’s condition.
With a lot of anxiety I started treatment, monitoring every move she made and researching every ‘off’ thing I saw.
Went back to the ‘new vet’ after 3 weeks, bloodworks showed glucose levels 5,1 mmol/l and Fructosamine 378. ( this time lab says to ‘careful interpretation of hematology results because of to little blood in blood tube 😩)
All things considered it looks like spruitje is doing very well at the moment, glucose levels seem to be steady within reference range and ketones fluctuations from 0.2 to 0.6 max (2 times 0.6 which dropped both times to 0.4 one hour after eating)
But still feeling like I have no backup or ‘trustworthy vet’ in case something goes wrong and don’t know what to do now.
If I need to give more info or anything please let me know.
 
Welcome! Glad you decided to post about Spruitje. What a unique name - how do you pronounce it?

Seems like you're on a good path with the home testing of glucose and ketones, nice job.

This post has some good information about setting up a signature (the text below the messages so folks can see your story at a glance) and spreadsheet if you don't have one already for tracking BG.
Sticky - New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

How about diet? What's she eating? Have the clinical signs improved?
 
Sorry for my late reaction, I just keep spiralling 🥺 I live in the small country Belgium in the middle of Europe and yet it seems as if I’m living in the middle of nowhere.
Guidelines, educational info, so many organisations … a lot to find in America, Canada, UK, really helpful for sure but when I try to search or locate something in my region it seems like no one’s ever looked into feline diabetes, ckd, hyperthyroidism, nutrition, … before 🫠 I’m still looking for another vet cause the latest bloodworks he did where even worse … 1 of the blood tubes opened during transport, very hemolytic bloodsample with results that would mean Spruitje is a dead kitty 🫣
(You pronounce it like spruuuuiiiiiitje 🤣 it’s Dutch)
I keep testing glucose and ketones every day before I give the Senvelgo dose.
Her diabetes symptoms seem to be under control, 2 weeks ago I noticed for the first time in months that she was sitting on her bum whilst eating 🥳
After diagnosis I switched her from the dry kibble from Edgard&Cooper to their wet food, which did go well the first 2 months, but she started getting more picky. So I was looking for something else and came across Lily’s Kitchen which looked similar (not wanting to make another drastic change since getting her off the kibble and not being able to free feed anymore) but the latest “bloodworks” are signaling she might also have CKD and Lily’s Kitchen is supposed to be to high in phosfor … I don’t know anymore
Just wanted to vent it’s so frustrating
 
Back
Top