New member, cannot get my cat regulated

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan Pomo, Jun 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Hello all and thanks for any help
    My cat Joe was diagnosed with diabetes when his third blood test in four months revealed an over 600 glucose. BY this time he was 9lbs and his usually weight is 14-15. He is a big guy. I was relieved to finally have a diagnosis. I was sent home with a prescription for insulin. Novolin NPH. I was told we would start low at 1unit twice a day. I did this for 7 days and saw no change. Heavy heavy uring output and always very very hungry. I called vet who increased to 2 units twice a day. Still no change. I asked for blood test and weight check before we went up to 3 units. Sugar levels were 276, yes down and almost in half but he had lost another 1/2 lb and was down to 8.5. We did go to 3 units. On our 7th day of it and no change. I took him in again, insisting on a blood and weight check and he has gained 1/2 pound but level is back up to mid 500's. I did start him on Purina DM today and she wants me to check his levels now at home for a couple more days before moving up to 4 units. Today, morning, before food and insulin, 511. Afternoon 403.
    I feel like my head is swimming and I am not sure I am saving him.
    Joe is 14.
    Appreciate any input

Deanne likes this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. Sorry about the diagnosis but I am glad you found this site! We can help!

You will have a better chance of helping him with a different insulin. Novolin only lasts about 4-6 hours in a cat. Their metabolism is much faster than ours. The recommended insulins are lantus and ProZinc. Ask to switch asap. ProZinc and lantus typically last 10-14 hours by comparison. (Chewy.com has a good price on ProZinc. If you go with lantus, some hace success using a perscription discount card... Many order it from Marks Marine pharmacy in Canada who ship here for about 1/3 the price of the US)

I'm so glad you are going to start testing at home. It's really the best way to keep him safe and find the right dose. We can help you once you start testing. I have a video in my signature showing how I tested my cat CC at home.

The perscription food is not needed. Feed a low carb wet food, no dry. Many here feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods. Other good choices are Tiki cat and weruva foods.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  3. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Janet!! Thank you for responding. Just today I asked my vet about changing insulin. She wanted to wait until Saturday and do the home testing. I will insist now when I talk to her on Saturday.
    I looked at ProZinc at Chewy and it is the same price at Walmart so maybe I can have him on that by Sunday because Walmart is close.

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Also Joe loves Friskies Pate. YAY. He is not crazy about this DM food so I am glad it can go by the wayside.
    Janet thank you so much for your help.

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Good to hear he likes the friskies pates! :cat: I believe you can take the DM back for a refund if you tell them your cat does not like it (I know it’s not cheap!)

If you switch to Prozinc you will need to get new syringes, unless you want to use a conversion to use the syringes you have now. Prozinc uses u40 syringes while NPH uses u100

Susan Pomo likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

Oh that's great that they sell ProZinc at Walmart now!

7. JanetNJ

Happy to help. And as overwhelming as it feels right now it will all soon feel routine. Diabetes is not a death sentence and they can live long healthy lives with it.

8. JanetNJ

Sarah&Soph likes this.
  9. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

wonder if this is the red one (cheap) or the blue one. They both say Prime

10. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

11. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

As far as the meter, I am using my own. Do you think the meter needs to be a specific one? My insurance pays for mine and my lancets.

12. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

I believe both red and blue Prime are the same! I personally have the red one. And yes, any u40 syringes are fine! We recommend that you make sure they have 1/2 unit markings on them. I can't tell from the picture on Chewy whether those do or not.

You can really use any meter you want, it doesn't need to be a specific one. We usually recommend the Relion Prime here because it is cheap and easy to get strips since they are at every Walmart, but if you want to use your own you certainly can, especially if it's paid for :cat:

13. JanetNJ

If you switch to ProZinc you want u-40, with 3/10 CC'S, with half unit markings. Don't get the ones you linked on chewy. They hold half a ml and don't have the half unit markings which would make fractional doses like 1.25, 1.5, ect more difficult to judge. Plus they are expensive! It would cost $27 for 100 of them.

Oh I just saw chewy is finally carrying the pet advocate ones! These are good because they are also really thin

Your pet will love this PetTest U-40 Syringes, 31 Gauge x 5/16-in, 0.3-cc, 100 syringes:
    https://app.chewy.com/DFqjsxc1ahb

And these are just $19 for 100

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  14. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

15. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

haha. I should have read your above message first.

16. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

JanetNJ likes this.
  17. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You can also return the DM to the vet for a refund. If the food is DM dry it is returnable even if you have opened it. Fancy Feast or Friskies Pate flavors are fine for diabetic cats.

18. Lisa and Witn (GA)

As long as you don't get your and Joe's readings you should be fine. We do have a spreadsheet for use to keep track of his readings.

I am adopting a sugar kitty in about a week and plan on sharing my meter with him since I get my strips for free. :D

Peggy & Clawdius likes this.
  19. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I do not understand this

20. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Walmart, it turns out, does not have it. They have it listed on their site but when you call they say NO.
    Costco does! The one in my town even (rural town in Georgia)
    I have asked the vet on duty to call it in and am waiting to hear back. Worst case scenario is my vet will be in the office tomorrow and hopefully she will write it.

21. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Sorry, I was just trying to be funny. It should have said "As long as you don't get your readings and Joe's readings mixed up, you should be fine. " It is ok to use the same meter for both of you, or you may want to have separate meters.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  22. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

If you do want to get Joe his own meter
    The Relion Prime is only 9 dollars
    17.88 for 100 test strips
    You can order them on line if your store doesn't gave them in stock
    Usuall about 2-3 days to get them

23. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

HAHA :cat:

24. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I will just use mine for Joe since I really never do mine anyway. I have it because insurance paid for it and I usually just trust in my A-1-C.
    Pre-diabetes here.

25. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Just got home at 5pm. Grueling day. When I was not getting a phone call from the vet that I turned to (my dogs vet but same office as Joes vet) in lieu of my vet being there, AND after I found it at Costco, I just jumped in the car and went to pester the vet's office in person. Kind of like " you think my phone calls have been annoying, you have not seen anything yet and I will just sit over here and wait to talk to the vet"
    He did come talk to me. Says most Internists prefer ProZinc. He said they do not really prescribe it there first because most cannot afford it (remember very rural Georgia here)
    He agreed it would not hurt to change. He wrote the script. I sped over to Costco and got the ProZinc and the special needles. They do not have the 1/2 way mark but they did not have any U-40's that did. Since I have some from Chewy on the way I am not worried.
    He says in a perfect world one would take the cat's sugar levels every two hours throughout one day. Anyone else heard of that?
    Joe will be starting his new meds at 7 pm tonight and I am hopeful. Back to square one with 1unit.

Taishi_Ci and Sarah&Soph like this.
  26. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Sounds like you did an excellent job standing up for your kitty! Congrats on the new insulin :cat:

It sounds to me like he was describing doing a glucose curve which is where you test the BG every 2 hours for 12 hours. It’s usually recommended to do that once ~every 7 days to see how low the dose is taking your kitty before changing the dose, it’s not something you have to do every day.

27. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Yes, now that you mention it he did call it a glucose curve. I have to get better with sticking Joe to do this kind of intense thing. Right now I am going to check it in 3 days mid-way between injections and then take him in for a weight glucose check at the vet after he has been on the new one for 7 days. They only charge me $20 to bring him in for this and it feels worth it to me. I am trying to save his life!

28. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

If you can test his blood sugar at home, it will be much more beneficial. Stress at the vet will almost certainly raise his BG so whatever readings they get will not be accurate. When she was in remission, Sophie would test in the 80s at home and over 200 at the vet.

We really recommend testing before every single shot and then at least one other time during the day if you can. A full glucose curve may be something you have to work up to doing, but the more tests you can do in the meantime, the better and more safe it will be for your kitty

29. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

So far it seems like my cat hardly has any blood in his ear. I only was able to get some blood by pricking his paw.
    It does sound like something I need to get better at. thanks

Sarah&Soph likes this.
  30. JanetNJ

What size lancet are you using?

31. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Hi Janet, The first day I was using whatever came in my kit. Size unknown and they are all gone and used up with trial and error on my Joe. I called my DR and got him to prescribe more on the day I was going crazy trying to get it from the ear and I picked up those yesterday and they are 33 gauge extra fine and I have not tried these yet.
    I also ordered (from the link you or someone above sent) for the TRue Lancets, 300 of them and I just looked them up and they are 28 gauge.
    I will not try it again until I have some advice for doing it. :nailbiting: as it was grueling

JanetNJ likes this.
  32. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Hey all, Joe is def seems like he is feeling better today. I am not saying it is the new insulin, started last night, too soon to say. It might just be because I am not cornering him and sticking needles in his ear and paw. He is walking with his tail up and he actually trotted to breakfast today! Two things I have not seen in the last week. :bighug:

33. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Today Joe is very hungry again. Always follows me in the kitchen looking for food.
    Long ago when Joe was young, I taught him to stand on his haunches and wave bye-bye for treats. It is a trick he carried through his life and always got him some temptations and attention. A couple of weeks ago he was in the kitchen doing it begging for food and then in this last week I did not see it all. Today he did it again. Of course, I gave him a big plate of food.
    So my vet said "feed him as much as he wants since he lost so much weight"
    Wondering if you ladies agree with this.
    Should Joe be allowed to eat every time he wants. He was a 9lbs last weigh-in, last week, and his regular weight is 13-14 lbs (when not sick)

34. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

35. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

thanks Sarah
    So many of the links no longer work. It seems to say that cats at their normal weight should not be overfeed. Joe lost so much weight getting to his diagnosis.

36. JanetNJ

I think you will have a much easier time once you get the new lancets. The other option is to poke a few times in the same spot with the thin ones. It is difficult in the beginning. Did you have a chance to look at the video in my signature?

37. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Ladies, I am worried about something. One unit in the new syringes seems like so much more than one unit in the other syringes. Is this just me and my imagination?

38. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I just watched it and like you, I am in it a while and just started to check. I pierced my Joe's ear many times though and never got any blood.

39. JanetNJ

Don't use the u 40 syringes with Novolin.... They are for ProZinc only. Did you get the ProZinc yet? It may look like a lot more because of your other syringes held 0.5 ml the barrel was thicker

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Sarah&Soph likes this.
  40. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Syringes do come in different sizes and widths, so that might be it if you’re sure you’re using the u40 syringes. You can post a picture of 1u drawn up if you’d like us to confirm :cat:

41. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I have put the Novolin in the cheese drawer way in the back of the fridge so I do not get them mixed up. I am using on ProZinc and the U40's since Friday night

JanetNJ likes this.
  42. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Hi Sarah, it drove me crazy enough that I got two old syringes out of the milk jug I toss them in. One of the U40 and one of the older ones. I drew up 1ml of water in one and then pulled out the plunger on the other and put the same water in through the backside. Put plunger back in and saw that both were 1ml. This is just such a thing where you are on your own and have to be so UBER careful at what you are doing. One wrong move made without thinking and I guess I could kill my cat. Scary.:arghh:

43. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I have my daughter and her dad coming over for Fathers day dinner so they will help me check Joes number today. Cannot believe I am cooking for my ex from a hundred years ago but my daughter asked me, so I am.

JanetNJ likes this.
  44. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

U40 and U100 refer to how many units = 1 ml of insulin. So yes, the amount of insulin is going to be different when you switch syringes. That’s why it’s important to make sure you’re using the appropriate kind.

45. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

So using a u40 syringe and pulling out 1unit IS different than the amount of insulin in 1unit in the u100 syringe?

46. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

Correct, and why pharmacists and vets should stress whether an insulin is U40 or U100

47. JanetNJ

Yes 1 unit of u40 is 2.5 units in u100

48. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

So I am technically giving him almost the same amount of insulin then. He was on 3units of Novilin and now he is on 1 unit of Prozinc. One unit is a lot more with the U40 syringes. I tested him this afternoon, 6 hours after morning insulin and it was the lowest it has been in a week at 372.

49. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I am going to email my vet right now.

50. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

Susan Pomo likes this.
  51. JanetNJ

Not quite. the concentrations of the insulins are different. Novolin is a 100 concentration and ProZinc is a 40 concentration. 3 units of Novolin doesn't equal 1 unit of ProZinc. Your comparing apples and orange. But the different concentrations is why they use different syringes to measure out a unit. There are 400 units in a 10 ml vial of ProZinc. There are 1000 units in a Novolin 10ml vial.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Sarah&Soph likes this.
  52. JanetNJ

If would be very helpful if you could set up a signature and spreadsheet. To set up a signature click on your name at the top right corner and choose signature. Add info such as your pets name, date diagnosed, insulin type and any other health concerns. Don't forget to save.

To get the template for the spreadsheet go here. If you need help with it we can help. :)

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/

53. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Hi Janet,
    I tried and it was too much right now. I added some stuff. Name, age, DOB and insulin info to my signature.
    I have feral kittens at home I am socializing, traps to set for tonight, my own other animals to do morning chores for, etc
    I will do it (try) as soon as I am able and yes I will definitely need help.

I would like to share something else right now.
    My Joe always wore a Seresto flea collar. I had put a new one on him in Oct 2020. IN January he developed a weird bloody wound above his eye. He also was very itchy. Scratching his neck area. Exam revealed a scabby area around his neck. The vet called the wound above the eye, a bite, possibly spider. I asked about the rash around the neck and if it could be the Seresto. I was told NO. Told he probably developed allergies. At this visit, they made me aware he had lost 6 pounds. Joe had been very heavy (20lbs) but he is a very large guy. I was on a walking routine and Joe always followed me and did the whole walk around the long block with me, twice a day. I thought he lost weight this way. He was given a steroid shot and a Covenia shot. Two weeks later the eye wound continued to his ear and the back of his ear and continued down his neck. I cut off the Seresto and back to the vet. They said come back in another week and we can give another Steroid shot. I did this. Still calling it allergies and a bite.
    The end of January Joe had a bad episode, blood in urine and in poop. I changed vets and went to my dog's vet. Blood test done, everything good with that. Given Clavamox for UTI. He had lost another pound at this visit. I was told to feed him as much as he would eat and come back in a week. within 2 days he stopped eating, threw up and was hiding in the closet. I rushed him to an emergency vet. They held him overnight. They did a blood test (fine), an ultrasound (all good except kidneys showed some degenerative stuff, not abnormal they said) A few days after picking him up they called and said his urine report came back and was normal.
    I never really got a diagnosis for this. I talked to the internist and he could not give me a diagnosis. Said possibly kidney stone that might have passed before he got there.
    From February to April, no more blood in urine or poop, no other incidents. Started losing weight again in May and finally, after 3 blood tests in 5 months, the one in May gives a sugar reading of over 500. He started Insulin then.
    It all seemed to start with the wounds at neck and eye.
    I will never put another Seresto on any of my animals

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  54. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Janet I am so sorry about C.C. She was a beautiful girl

55. JanetNJ

Oh my poor baby. I'm glad he's on the mend.

Well done getting the signature up! I can tag a few who are good at seeing up the spreadsheet for you. @Chris & China (GA)

@Bandit's Mom

the good news is we have seen many cats go into remission that got diabetes as a result of steroid shots.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  56. JanetNJ

Thank you. She was the best cat ever. My soul kitty. I’ll never have another one quite like her.

57. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I can tell she was, the way she just lay there and let you prick her ear. True trust.

58. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Interesting. He got two steroid shots only about 30 days apart.

59. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Has anyone currently on here fed a raw diet?

60. JanetNJ

I am sure, yes. I would start a new subject in the main health forum if you have a question about raw. You could also do a search for it to read old posts.

61. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Joe had his 6th dose of the new ProZinc insulin this morning. Yesterday at this time it was 390 and today it is 332. It is slowly going down

62. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

ON Thursday, after 5 full days on the new Prozinc insulin, Joe went to the vet. His glucose numbers were still in the mid 400's. He has also lost .4 more lbs in two weeks.
    (I was able to monitor his glucose at home a few times during the week after starting the new insulin and the numbers were always high. Getting blood from him seems harder and harder. The ear has never worked for me so I was using his paw but I have a hard time getting any blood from his paw and he gets so angry when I poke him.)
    On Thursday, the vet increased his units to two units, twice a day. That was on Thursday so he has been on the new dose of 2 units for one and 1/2 days. Still very hungry, still lots of urine output.
    She has mentioned a glucose curve and also something else, I cannot remember the name but it is like a human A1C test.
    She did confirm that both his thyroid and his pancreas looked fine in his last blood work panel done in May. Should I insist on another full-blood panel?
    I am wondering if folks think I need to take him to a specialist. My vet seems very knowledgeable and I trust her. Is there more a specialist could/would do?

63. JanetNJ

We can help you with dosing of you get a spreadsheet going. So you need help with that?We usually recommend raising a dose in 0.25-0.5 increment. Raising in whole units can be dangerous. Remember that the number is often elevated at the vet.... Sometimes by a 100 points or more due to stress. This is the link to the spreadsheet template and instructions. If you need help setting it up let us know. https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/

64. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I will try to do this tomorrow. I have feral kittens I have to take in for weigh-ins and vaccines. Always trying.
    I will work my way through the spreadsheet. Just wondering how I can make and work on a spreadsheet when I cannot get blood from him at home.

65. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I will not allow myself to take on any other trapping or kitten endeavors until I can make things better for Joe. Will work on making a spreadsheet tomorrow and devote all my time to helping Joe.
    I guess that answers my question about a specialist? No neeed?

66. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

After finding this group, I did not feel like I needed to go to a specialist for my Chloe. There’s enough crowdsourced knowledge and experience that I think you will get really good advice.

I know you have many other kitties. If you are able to feed Joe low carb food throughout the day, that will be a good thing for his diabetes. Diabetic cats don’t metabolize food very well, so they don’t get the nutrients they need from the same amount of food they were used to. Once the BG is under control, you will probably notice a more normal appetite.

67. JanetNJ

I didn't realize you were having trouble getting a reading at home. Maybe your lancets are too thin. What gauge lancets are you using? 26-28 work the best esp in the beginning. Are you warming or rubbing the ear before testing? Don't give up on it. The more you attempt to test the faster the new capillaries will start to grow. The first week or two can be a challenge to get a sample. I have a video in my signature showing how I tested my cat CC at home.

Librarianista likes this.
  68. JanetNJ

No not really a need for a specialist.

I've trapped many ferals as well. All five of my cats are backyard finds. Lol

69. JanetNJ

It can take months to regulate a cat. I didn't see a preshot under 300 for a couple months. It's a marathon. :)

Susan Pomo likes this.
  70. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Susan --

Welcome to FDMB. You've been getting some great guidance.

From just having read though your thread, are you still using the 33 gauge lancets? I'm hoping the ones you ordered have arrived. A 33 gauge lancet is too thin for a cat that's new to diabetes. I know -- that sounds weird. Let me explain The edges of a cat's ear do not have a great number of pain receptors nor is there an abundant supply of capillaries. Once your begin poking Joe's ear, the capillary bed will begin to build up and you can use a thinner lancet. In the meantime. the 28 gauge lancets will give a better poke and you'll be able to get more blood. If the new lancets haven't arrived, try to poke twice in close proximity and see if you get enough blood that way.

As others said, managing your cat's diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint. Some cats have a great response to insulin and may go into remission in a relatively short time. It takes others longer to go into remission or to become regulated and some of us struggle with it throughout the process. It's just like people. Plus, every cat is different (so much so that we abbreviate it, ECID.)

At this point, hopefully, you have U40 syringes and are getting the hang of testing and shooting. If you want more information on Prozinc and our dosing methods, you will want to look at the sticky notes at the top of the Prozinc board.

If you still need help with the spread sheet, Bhooma (@Bandit's Mom) can give you a hand.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  71. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I only have 3 cats. All are rescue's. Only one foster failure in the 10+ years of fostering.
    I trap in my community, one of the few that will, so I am always finding feral kittens. I have two rescue's that will take them from me but only if they are socialized first so it seems I always have a cage full of them somewhere in my home, in my daughter's home and even in her father's home. If I do not get them spayed/neutered socialized and on to rescue's they will just be feral one year olds that I will be tending to trapping next year

72. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Yes, some days no reading at all after poking him 3-4 times and giving a treat of Mackeral after each poke. I did watch your video but my Joe would never act as your wonderful C.C. did. He hides, growls, and expresses his displeasure

73. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I am using the 28 gauges I ordered. They came lightning fast. The 33 gauges were ridiculously small. I am not using the ear, I am using paw pads

74. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

this is good to know. Still finding hope :bighug:

75. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

OH my GOSH and hallelujah! Had a friend over to hold Joe so was able to take his sugar level and 214!!! OMGosh I am doing a happy dance. First time it has been below 300. Less urine in the litter boxes today. Please GOD let this be the beginning of good things to come for him~:cat::cat:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Shelley & Jess and Librarianista like this.
  76. JanetNJ

Whooohoo!!!!!! Wonderful! Make sure to give that kitty a treat. Hehe

Susan Pomo likes this.
  77. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Worked on the spreadsheet a little today. Wondering if I need to input the numbers from the Novolin insulin or should I just skip to when I started to use Prozinc?
    Joe bit me last night while I was trying to test him. I never thought he would bite me. I was using a back paw since I had poked so much in the front paws.I do not know what this means going forward trying to check him :nailbiting:

78. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Is this the ear you are referencing? If so do you recommend continuing to prick his ear even though I never get any blood there?

79. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

80. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

Yes. I think he will be less likely to bite you, and eventually it will be easier for you to get blood from there. Definitely warm the ears up first! Some people use the rice sock or warm water in a pill bottle. My cat likes her ears being touched, so I just give her a good pet for a while.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  81. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Well-Known Member

Great information, I'm going to pick up some 28g, been using 30g so maybe life will be easier now lol.

JanetNJ likes this.
  82. JanetNJ

I think my cat would bite me if I tried to poke his foot too. Give the ear another go.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  83. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Vet visit yesterday for my Joe to check weight and glucose.
    He gained 1/2 lb but his number was 472 (crying) Vet wanted to go to 3 units. I asked to go to 2.5 based on reading on here
    Chris is helping me with a spreadsheet.

JanetNJ likes this.
  84. JanetNJ

Glad he gained. He probably does need an increase but definitely safer raising slower. Vet readings are usually higher because of vet stress

85. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I called all vet offices that I have used locally and put out a plea for someone to come help me and show me how to get blood from Joe at home. An angel has called from one of the vet offices and is coming today. Chris is helping me with a spreadsheet and thankfully today is looking up.

JanetNJ likes this.
  86. smorgasbord

Great news. Once you get over that hurdle, things will get easier. Don't beat yourself up about it, we've all been there, and it's damn near impossible to get blood from the ear at first. Good luck today!

87. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Advice please.
    My Joe is missing is kibble. My vet suggests Purina One DM. She sells it. The last time I bought Purine One DM it was canned and I was told Friskies Pate was just as good. Is there a kibble that is just as good or is the P.O. something I should go with?
    Thanks all for any help

88. JanetNJ

Wet is best but there are a handful of lower carb foods that aren't bad for an occasional snack or as a topper . Youngagainpetfood.com young again zero carb, epigen 90, and Dr elsley's clean protein chicken. All three companies will send you a free sample if you ask.

89. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Chris is amazing and has helped me so much. SS is up! YAHOO!
    I got the new meter today and Joe and I will have a meeting every day at 2pm, a few bites of tuna will be served and we will trying to get blood.
    Feeling accomplished!

Hshray, smorgasbord and JanetNJ like this.
  90. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I am beginning to think Joe has no blood in his ear. we sat at the table, him on a rug, me giving him bites of tuna and pricking his ears. I rubbed them beforehand and massaged them as best as I could. He really does not like being messed with. I could only keep his attention with bites of tuna. We did this for about 20 minutes and I pricked him 4-5 times during that time and never saw a smidgen of a drop of blood.

91. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Rubbing doesn't always help much at this point. The ear needs to be really warm. You can put some rice in a sock, tie it off and heat it in the microwave, use a pill bottle filled with warm water, or even a warm washcloth inside a baggie (so it doesn't get the ear wet) can help because the heat brings blood into the area. Be sure to test the temperature against your wrist (like a baby bottle) to make sure it's not too warm.

Make sure there's something you're poking against too. If you use one of the above, hold it on one side of the ear and poke into the other side (If you hold the ear with your fingers, you usually just end up poking yourself).

Hang in there. It will take time but it will get easier. Promise!

Susan Pomo and smorgasbord like this.
  92. JanetNJ

What size lancet are you using?

93. smorgasbord

What everyone else has recommended is very good advice. Seriously, just a few degrees warmer makes a world of difference.
    As a refresher, take a look at the excellent photos here to help:

Susan Pomo likes this.
  94. smorgasbord

95. smorgasbord

96. smorgasbord

She's using 28g now.

97. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

HI and thanks all. I am rubbing trying to get him used to me touching his ears. I have one cat that loves her ears rubbed but Joe never has. I tried the rice sock heated (and then cooled) and he was not amused or happy. I want him to be comfortable with me touching and hoped a bit of rubbing would help.
    The pictures with the sweet spots are very helpful.
    Do you go in with the lancet at a side angle or head on?
    Vet tech is coming back in a few days, I was waiting to get the meter. I watched her try it and she did the outer edge of the ear but much lower, closer to his head.

98. JanetNJ

I poked anywhere from just below mid way up to almost the tip of the ear. You could do either side of the ear and inside or outside.

99. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

would someone please confirm the morning sequence for me. Eat and then give insulin or the other way around?

100. JanetNJ

Test, feed, shot

Susan Pomo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.