New Member, 7/20/21, Russell

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tamar, Jul 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tamar

Tamar New Member

Introducing ourselves. Russell is a foster cat through a local rescue I volunteer with. He is ~8 years old, FIV+, and was diagnosed as diabetic this past Tuesday. He is on Lantus and we just switched to a low carb canned diet. I test at home with an Alpha Trak and just started using the spreadsheet to track his BG and adjust his dose until we find what works best for him.

Dyana likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to you and Russell. Thank you for fostering an FD kitty!:bighug:
    Please let us k ow if we can help in any way
    I will post a couple of useful links.

HELP US TO HELP YOU contains links to spreadsheet, signature, hypo kit and other useful information

DOSING METHODS

3. Tamar

Tamar New Member

This website as well as the facebook group have already been incredibly helpful! I've been soaking in all the information like a sponge. I've never had a diabetic cat before so this is all new information to me.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  4. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Hi Tamar!

If you go to the Lantus forum, you will see lots of helpful reading on how Lantus works, what to expect, tips for drawing up insulin, and dosing methods - either TR or SLGS.
    I would suggest also writing a post and explaining that you’re switching foods to low carb (LC) and what dose you’re going to start with - and you can always ask for help in deciding that, too!

lots of us post daily on the Lantus forum it’s like a whole community of support getting to know you and Russell and helping out, has been super valuable for me and Pearl.

I will tag you in my post for today so that you can see where it is - in the Lantus forum, if you want to post and read there. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

@Margaret (and Pearl)
    Hi Margaret, just a fyi…..we like new members to start off in the main forum page and stay there until the spreadsheet, signature are set up and they have learned to hometest, before transferring over to the Lantus page:)

Tamar likes this.
  6. Tamar

Tamar New Member

Thank you so much! I'm going to try and establish a curve through the night tonight. It's not ideal but I'm gone much of the day tomorrow and I'd really like to get a good baseline for him. Once I have a curve, I will for sure ask in the Lantus forum about dosing.

7. Tamar

Tamar New Member

I used to work in a few veterinary hospitals so I have plenty of experience with testing thankfully. I'm slowly figuring out the spreadsheet too.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  8. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Oh perfect thank you Bron! I think I was jumping the gun getting nervous I know Tamar was advised by vet to start with 2 units and wanted her to get feedback ASAP.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome, Tamar!

It's fine to do a curve. However, it takes 5 - 7 days for the insulin depot to form. As a result, a curve done this early may not accurately represent where onset and nadir are or reflect duration. It does like like Russell is one of those kitties that has a marked initial response to insulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.