New: insulin question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lori & Max, Mar 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lori & Max

Lori & Max New Member

I’m new posting on here, but would like some suggestions anyone would have between prozinc and lantus... I have a 20+ year old diabetic cat (Max) who is now going on 4 years with diabetes. Been doing good on his Vetsulin until the last few weeks. Now he has the bouncies and it no longer stays in his system past 6-7 hours.

He was only on 1 unit bid most of those 4 years. He had a few very low drops early on at a higher dose (30md/dL) he was fine, but did need some of the glucose rubbed in his gums so I’m nervous on switching his insulin, but know we need to. (Also was hoping not to at his age)

if I had my choice in the beginning and knew more I would have had them give him the lantus, although the vetsulin was fine until now. At this point I’m just looking at what would last a little longer and not otherwise be too different than what he was on so to worry about hypoglycemia.

any feedback on the 2 insulin’s would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

either one is a good insulin. Prozinc is also an in and out insulin like vetsulin is, so it works similarly to what you are used to, but usually with a longer duration. Plus you could use the syringes you already have. Either is a good choice.

3. Lori & Max

Lori & Max New Member

Thanks Janet! I am wondering if I tried prozinc and it ends up the same as vetsulin, can I always change to the lantus or is that hard on them to change insulins like that

4. JanetNJ

It's not the same thing as vetsulin, totally different ingredients, it's just not a deposit insulin. It generally lasts 10-14 hours. The thing I like about that is you have more flexibility with time.

5. Lori & Max

Lori & Max New Member

With the Lantus you have to be exact in the timing... 12 hours? Vs prozinc can be 12 hours give or take an hour? Is that what you mean by the flexibility?

6. JanetNJ

Right. There's more wiggle room in the timing.

7. Lori & Max

Lori & Max New Member

Thank you for your help. We decided we will try the Prozinc:)

8. JanetNJ

Either is a great choice. And no problem changing to lantus if you decide this one is not working. Chewy.com has a good price for ProZinc.

9. Lori & Max

Lori & Max New Member

Hi Janet, I am just getting used to this site... so I updated my username and loaded a better picture of Max :) I also put some info in the signature area which may be helpful for others. I am still working on uploading the spreadsheet and filling it out. I have used a Vetsulin spreadsheet in the past or just jotted down on paper. After I get that done, I may ask some advice again on dosing. I just wanted to give you an update of where we are at and thank you again for your help!

Max started at 1 unit bid on the Prozinc and right now is at 1.25 bid. ProZinc does seem to keep a better level number(although a bit higher than i'd like to see) not quite so much of a up and down drop during the day. I did have 2 times it dropped a little low in the evening (70) and then a bounce high in the morning (600). So I am trying to be patient and go slow. Today at the 6 hour after shot he was at 119, which is good :)

JanetNJ likes this.
  10. JanetNJ

That was a bounce. He's not used to being in those low numbers. Thanks for the update. Do attach that spreadsheet when you can. Do you know where to find our template?

11. Lori & Max

Lori & Max New Member

I did find it, and just downloaded it to my computer. I will fill in the numbers and get it posted it tomorrow. Thank you!

JanetNJ likes this.
  12. JanetNJ

Sounds
    good! You are doing a great job.

13. Lori & Max

Lori & Max New Member

Janet, I can't figure out how to upload this spreadsheet. I have been looking through some of the forums, because I thought I saw it mentioned somewhere in there :eek:
    I have been filling it in on my computer, but just haven't been able to add it to this page. I was determined to find it, but I have to admit i'm stumped. Even on this post it says upload a file, but it won't let me? Maybe that's not where it goes though? If you can direct me to the correct area, you'd make my day. :)
    Thank you!

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

This is the link regarding how to set up the spreadsheet. Toward the bottom are the instructions on how to link it in your signature. You want it linked in your signature so all of. your data is automatically included vs you're having to upload it every day. If you look in my signature or Janet's you'll see the link.

15. Lori & Max

Lori & Max New Member

Thank you! I did it wrong... I didn't load to google and have it saved on my desktop. I went ahead a followed those directions,but now am having issues uploading it. It may be my computer. I am going to keep working on it. Again thank you for your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.